Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2010, 14:43   #4426
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp-drive View Post
I'm on the verge of replacing the stock Headlight Bulbs of my GP with Phillips Extreme Power 12V 6O/55W (H4's).
Also replacing the fog lights with Phillips Blue vision H1's 12V/55W.
This is being done bearing in mind my ride's just 3weeks old ;Wanted to avoid warranty related issues associated with HID Kits replacing the wiring etc.
Phillips claims 80% more light/25 mts longer beam.[ I reckon that should be taken with a pinch of Mobil1!]

I would appreciate confirmation from ye experts if this is the appropriate choice considering my requirement is basically better lighting/improved vehicle aesthetics.
Gurus, kindly shed some ''Xenon'' light on this conundrum!
Since you are sticking with stock wattage, please do not expect unimaginable output. Also, 80% more light is just another advertising trick. But I can assure you that this will be better than the stock bulbs.

If you do not play around/cut the existing wires, the warranty wont be affected. You have three options.

1) Stay with stock wattage and try other genuine brands. (Easy upgrade. No hassles)
2) Go for 90/100w. Please make sure you stick with branded kits. This is not confined just to the bulbs, but branded wiring, ceramic holder and relays. All should be branded stuff. Do not compromise on them. (Takes time, a lot of wiring, produces a lot of heat)
3) HID's. Again, use only branded products. This includes HID bulbs, pair of ballast and wires. (Lot easier installation, Produces least amount of heat. long life, best output. But it's expensive ).

I generally do not recommend HID's on stock Headlights since there may be a lot of scattering. Means, a lot of useful light will be scattered. HID's are basically meant to be used with Projector Headlights since they project the light. But if you use branded HID's and proper installation, then it wont be affected.

Since you are looking for better visibility, I would recommend you to go for higher rated bulbs. But make sure you use branded products and approach a skilled mechanic for installation .

All the best. Keep us updated.

Cheers.!
Old 16th October 2010, 15:15   #4427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp-drive View Post
I'm on the verge of replacing the stock Headlight Bulbs of my GP with Phillips Extreme Power 12V 6O/55W (H4's).
Also replacing the fog lights with Phillips Blue vision H1's 12V/55W.
This is being done bearing in mind my ride's just 3weeks old ;Wanted to avoid warranty related issues associated with HID Kits replacing the wiring etc.
Phillips claims 80% more light/25 mts longer beam.[ I reckon that should be taken with a pinch of Mobil1!]

I would appreciate confirmation from ye experts if this is the appropriate choice considering my requirement is basically better lighting/improved vehicle aesthetics.
Gurus, kindly shed some ''Xenon'' light on this conundrum!
I would say this blue/white tint is more or less a fancy light as its not an all weather lighting solution. Admitting that these got a eye catching tint and better visibility in normal weather especially the sign boards, road markings are more highlighted with this.

Any thing beyond 5K CT visibility will be severely affected during bad weather like rain and fogs as it gets absorbed so easily and you may even think that light intensity is reduced or not. You can see the sun light produces an extremely white light. Sun light is 4850°K, and most HID systems produce about 6000°K. Most vehicles are equipped with standard halogen bulbs with a Kelvin around 3200°K. So its always safer to stay away from these useless blue/white tints.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-ct-chart.jpg

If you want to upgrade the lights for better visibility, go for the suggested 4-5K CT range as it can travel more distance than these fancy colours and thereby more visibility and safety.

Considering these cons would you sacrifice the safety over fancy?
Old 17th October 2010, 07:14   #4428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
I generally do not recommend HID's on stock Headlights since there may be a lot of scattering. Means, a lot of useful light will be scattered. HID's are basically meant to be used with Projector Headlights since they project the light. But if you use branded HID's and proper installation, then it wont be affected.
You mean use Branded HIDs with Projector HLs - right?
Old 17th October 2010, 09:55   #4429
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
You mean use Branded HIDs with Projector HLs - right?
Yes, I would definitely recommend that. But, for some cars it's hard to source readymade projector HL's. You will have to retro fir them. And moreover, the whole assembly will be expensive.

BTW, wats your ride?
Old 18th October 2010, 22:28   #4430
BHPian

Can anybody suggest a good place near HSR Layout to source Hella 500FF or 700FF? Also any pointers to a good place to get them installed on an SX4, pls?
Old 19th October 2010, 07:57   #4431
BHPian

Reliance Autozone (on the Silk board-HSR layout road) has these. Things there are a bit overpriced, except for those Chinese fancy stuff (pouches, covers, holders etc...)
The accessory shops at JC road would have these at a lesser price, but one can never be sure if they are genuine ones.
Otherwise, here you go: Hella India : Distributor Locator

Not sure, if the Reliance folks will fit the lights, coz it would probably need some good clamps to be fabricated.
Karnataka Auto Electrical is a reputed one at that. When you go towards JC road, its on the left side after that new red coloured apparel shopping mall (some brand factory).

Last edited by jeeva : 19th October 2010 at 08:03.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2010, 10:17   #4432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
Karnataka Auto Electrical is a reputed one at that. When you go towards JC road, its on the left side after that new red coloured apparel shopping mall (some brand factory).
If we are giving the lights assembly, how long will they take for fabricating the light clamps? Will they does complete (wiring harness & light) installation in sedan ? (means removal/fitting of bumper if required?)
Thanks..
Old 19th October 2010, 14:22   #4433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
If we are giving the lights assembly, how long will they take for fabricating the light clamps? Will they does complete (wiring harness & light) installation in sedan ? (means removal/fitting of bumper if required?)
Thanks..
You can try Car Fittings in Double Road. I had my Lightforce installed there sometimes back. Take a left after the HDFC bank if you are coming from Lalbagh gate towards the double road flyover. His name is Basha. He charges 1400 /-. He was impressed with the wiring harness that came with the light force. He said he usually makes the wiring harness if the customer does not get one.

The fabrications and the whole fitting will not take more than 3 hours.
Old 19th October 2010, 15:01   #4434
BHPian

last week upgraded my H/L to 100/90 in my getz , i see lots of blisters on the top of reflectors . I am worried of any damages that might arise forcing a change in headlight cluster . should i revert back to 60/55 .any suggestion guys!
Old 19th October 2010, 15:02   #4435
BHPian

I have a Palio D which we use as 3rd car and its been hardly used nowadays. Now 3 out of 4 headlights have stopped working as holders hv melted. I have a choice of replacing the headlights which would cost me 5k but if i can avoid spending then it would be good as car is not used much. Can i change the holder and wiring so that atleast i can see four beams coming which is good enough for city driving as Hyd is quite well litup.
Old 19th October 2010, 16:09   #4436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
last week upgraded my H/L to 100/90 in my getz , i see lots of blisters on the top of reflectors . I am worried of any damages that might arise forcing a change in headlight cluster . should i revert back to 60/55 .any suggestion guys!
Is reflector made of plastic in Getz? I am using 100/90 in my 800 for last 2.5 years without any problem.

I would suggest you to go for Philips Extreme bulbs which will cost you around 850.00 a pair. But before looking into any alternatives, find out the root cause for those blisters. It may be the case that immense heat that 100/90 produces would cause those blisters.
Old 19th October 2010, 16:33   #4437

Head and Tail light for Mark 3

I am modifying my Ambassador - Mark 3. Wanted some suggestions in the head light and tail lights design. I want to put something that is trendy yet simple. Can someone suggest which types of lights would look nice, in terms of design and style.

It would be great if you could upload some pics of lights (used in certain cars that you like) so that i can have a pictorial imagination of the light on my Amby.
Old 19th October 2010, 17:15   #4438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
Reliance Autozone (on the Silk board-HSR layout road) has these. Things there are a bit overpriced, except for those Chinese fancy stuff (pouches, covers, holders etc...)
The accessory shops at JC road would have these at a lesser price, but one can never be sure if they are genuine ones.
Otherwise, here you go: Hella India : Distributor Locator

Not sure, if the Reliance folks will fit the lights, coz it would probably need some good clamps to be fabricated.
Thanks jeeva. Will check them out.
Old 19th October 2010, 17:50   #4439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavish11 View Post
I am modifying my Ambassador - Mark 3. Wanted some suggestions in the head light and tail lights design. I want to put something that is trendy yet simple. Can someone suggest which types of lights would look nice, in terms of design and style.
Kavish11, no offense meant to your idea of modifying a Mark3, but I feel you should retain its originality. There are a handful of amby experts in this forum who can guide you.
If you are familiar with JC road, Nitin Automobiles has most of the parts. Have seen people coming from far to procure stuff from them.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2010, 18:28   #4440
BHPian

Hi,
I have a Honda City ZX and I have not modified the headlights so far. This vacation I am going for a long drive and would like to upgrade the headlights. I have no clue in this matter. Suggestions are welcome about which brand to upgrade , what type , what is the approx cost.
I am more interested in function rather than showing off and blinding the vehicle coming from the opposite side. Waiting to hear from fellow-BHPians.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks