Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2010, 16:31   #4276
BHPian

Very helpful information Sajjt. Many thanks!!!
Old 23rd September 2010, 17:15   #4277
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajiisworking View Post
Hi All

I am looking to upgrade the headlamps in my i10. On a recent trip back from Tiruchy, I was horrified to see what they can (or can not) do. The drive took me an hour or two longer owing to bad lighting.

Dont get me wrong, as I am not one of those drivers who wants to "blind" his/her way forward. Considering highway saftey in mind, and better sense of "being in control" I decided to spend on it.

I tried searching for posts relating to i10 headlamps but didnt find many that were relevant, maybe coz and a newbie here.

Hope to see my fellow bhp-ians swing into action!
There's been many questions for a better lighting in i10.
There are three options that's open to you.
1) Upgrade to higher wattage bulbs 90/100W
2) HID's
3) Stock wattage, but branded kits.

1) Here, you can achieve very good output but got it's disadvantages too. Since you are virtually increasing the power, it will affect your headlight unit after a long time. It may cause the HL unit to darken or even burn. If you use branded bulbs, wires, relays and ceramic holders you can use it longer.
Cost - 1.5k for the whole kit

2) HID's are always preferred for better lighting. But HID's are only meant to be used with projector setup HL units. HID's in stock HL's are illegal. Although visibility is improved when you use HID's on stock HL, it will definitely blind oncoming traffic. This is because the light has to be projected with the help of a projector. Since projectors are not there in stock HL, the light will get scattered. So most of the usable light is actually wasted. The best color temp in HID is 4300k and provides the max visibility. Philips is a brand to look out for. Else, you can try sourcing projector HL units for i10. It's readily available now.
Cost - Projector HL unit can come between 10-15k
HIDs - starts from 6k to 14k

3) Philips got many options when it comes to bulbs of the stock wattage. Please note that there will be only a slight improvement in visibility.
Cost - 500

I have personally tried all three and am currently using HIDs on Projector HL (Swift). I can definitely feel the difference.

If you have the budget, I would suggest option 2.
Hope this helped you

Cheers.!
Old 23rd September 2010, 18:15   #4278
BHPian

Hi Naveen,

Thanks for the update. Spot On.

May be as you said these are not strobe light but they seem to meet my requirement as i am looking for something similar like this.

The only thing is that i do not want this to be a part of my bumper or fitted on any frame (bumper size) aligned to the bumper. It should be something like the size of a match-box a bit inside and beneath the bumper.
So from the rear, it looks like nothing is holding it and my car has sufficient clearance (thanks to my alloys which increased my ride height a bit)

I can have something welded to hold the stuff. That's my idea. Where can i get this done in Bangalore and how much would it cost?

Thanks guys for your time. Appreciated.

Regards,
Ayyappan

Last edited by Eddy : 23rd September 2010 at 21:12. Reason: corrected typo
Old 24th September 2010, 09:53   #4279
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda_Power View Post
Hi Naveen,

Thanks for the update. Spot On.

May be as you said these are not strobe light but they seem to meet my requirement as i am looking for something similar like this.

The only thing is that i do not want this to be a part of my bumper or fitted on any frame (bumper size) aligned to the bumper. It should be something like the size of a match-box a bit inside and beneath the bumper.
So from the rear, it looks like nothing is holding it and my car has sufficient clearance (thanks to my alloys which increased my ride height a bit)

I can have something welded to hold the stuff. That's my idea. Where can i get this done in Bangalore and how much would it cost?

Thanks guys for your time. Appreciated.

Regards,
Ayyappan
Anytime mate.
Yes, the one that I had shown really looks great.! But havent seen anything of this quality here. You can actually try to source this particular model from Singapore. I got in touch with the shop. But it's very expensive. Also, since you are looking for something relatively smaller, this would not meet your requirement.
You can source this in Blore, but am not sure whether it will be something of this quality. Maybe some cheap LED's will be used.
You can check out Sprocket(kormangala, next to China Pearl) or Evo (Ulsoor). They are some famous mod shops in blore.
Anything else,let me know.

Cheers.!
Old 24th September 2010, 13:35   #4280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
@ Digital Vampire, thanks. I think i will pick up "Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (H1) " Seems ideal for Ritz. They have a H4 Bi xenon wiring harness also included in the kit. This should help matters.

Are Philips 4300K genuine bulbs available in India or shall i pick those up as well?
Hey Naveen,

Even I am planning to pick up the same kit for my Swift. However, my biggest concern is finding a professional installer who will be able to open up the head lamp assembly and fit these projectors without any mess
Old 25th September 2010, 20:06   #4281
BHPian

Hi Naveen,

It was quite a sad experience at sprocket.
Called the guys first. the owner rakesh picked up and told me
that he has one kit ready for 4.5 k. I was like 4.5k for a
a few LED's. Then i gave a call again after some time, One of the
guys by name john picked up. He was like his owner is not sure of
any product in the shop and gives false promises to customers.

He told me that it is not so expensive as his owner was referring to
some other kit. He told me that he will get back to me in a week's
time as you need to import the kit from Taiwan. He is not sure if he
can find it but he will try his best. I tried hard go-ogling but could
not find any resource to source it.

I had seen a similar stuff in a City and he told me that he got it done
from Kerala. Any idea if we can get it done outside.

I need it badly. That's the only last piece of mod left in the car.
Kindly help me.

Cheers,
Ayyappan
Old 26th September 2010, 10:31   #4282
BHPian

What would be the safest upgrade in headlamp wattage in a Fiesta. I wouldn't like to burn my headlights, also, what do burnt headlights look or feel like?
Old 26th September 2010, 10:44   #4283
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda_Power View Post
Hi Naveen,

It was quite a sad experience at sprocket.
Called the guys first. the owner rakesh picked up and told me
that he has one kit ready for 4.5 k. I was like 4.5k for a
a few LED's. Then i gave a call again after some time, One of the
guys by name john picked up. He was like his owner is not sure of
any product in the shop and gives false promises to customers.

He told me that it is not so expensive as his owner was referring to
some other kit. He told me that he will get back to me in a week's
time as you need to import the kit from Taiwan. He is not sure if he
can find it but he will try his best. I tried hard go-ogling but could
not find any resource to source it.

I had seen a similar stuff in a City and he told me that he got it done
from Kerala. Any idea if we can get it done outside.

I need it badly. That's the only last piece of mod left in the car.
Kindly help me.

Cheers,
Ayyappan
Sad to hear that. Heard these guys are expensive. Y dont you check out Evo, Ulsoor. Few guys have actually recommended this shop. Although I have seen these mods in few cars here in Cochin, the quality isnt the same as seen in the video. Local LED's used and wont provide the expected quality. Anyways, i shall try to check out some shops here in Cochin and update you.

Naveen
Old 26th September 2010, 10:49   #4284
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
What would be the safest upgrade in headlamp wattage in a Fiesta. I wouldn't like to burn my headlights, also, what do burnt headlights look or feel like?
The safest would be either going for Philips with same wattage or HID's.

Same wattage bulbs will provide only a little improvement over the stock bulbs. This is not that expensive.
HID's will always provide better visibility but since you dont have projectors, some of the light will be scattered and will blind oncoming traffic. HID's are expensive.

So I would recommend going for Philips brand that use the same stock wattage. Although you wont experience huge amount of difference, there will be better visibility.

Burnt HL will be something like for eg, Hold a glass over a candle. You can get to see the glass covered in black. This will what your HL will be.

Naveen
Old 26th September 2010, 10:50   #4285
BHPian

figo headlights

help!

the lights on my figo are pathetic, considering the oncoming lights on our highways. i took the car to an after market guy who said the PCM (power control module) on the figo could pack up if the bulbs were changed to 95/100 with new relays. the pcm apparently costs 40,000 rupees. i have got fog lamps fitted as per the dealers advice, but not much help.

i also feel the engine miss occasionally with the ac on.. is it anything worry about?

kindly advice..

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Thread Merged. This topic has been moved to the appropriate thread. We would appreciate you taking the effort to post in the correct section.

Last edited by .anshuman : 26th September 2010 at 14:22. Reason: Please take a look at the mod note that has been added to the end of your post.
Old 26th September 2010, 10:54   #4286
BHPian

So there is no upgrade that can be done on the wattage front?
I have seen people using 100/90W bulbs and they say they work fine, no issues. How is that possible?
Old 26th September 2010, 11:04   #4287
BHPian

What is the best option for upgrading Ritz headlights? Is it better to get an MGA fog light kit installed and run both? Or better to upgrade to Philips 90/100 bulbs with relay? In the case of the latter, will it void the warranty? And does anybody know of any good shops to do it in Chennai?
Old 26th September 2010, 13:25   #4288
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
So there is no upgrade that can be done on the wattage front?
I have seen people using 100/90W bulbs and they say they work fine, no issues. How is that possible?
Yes, you have the option of higher rated bulbs 90/100w. Have got many mixed reactions when it comes to using these bulbs. I have personally seen my friends Getz's HL burnt. If you use branded bulbs, wiring, relay and ceramic holder, it shouldnt be a problem. Many people use branded bulbs and go for cheap quality wiring, relay and holders. This is wrong.! You need to use only the branded kit which includes everything. This should not cause problems. I have personally used these kinda bulbs long back for around 2-3 months without any problem. Then moved over to HID's which I think is the best lighting option money can buy. But I would recommend HID's only if you are using projector HL, else please go for the other option.

Anything else, let me know.
Cheers.!
Old 26th September 2010, 13:30   #4289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
What is the best option for upgrading Ritz headlights? Is it better to get an MGA fog light kit installed and run both? Or better to upgrade to Philips 90/100 bulbs with relay? In the case of the latter, will it void the warranty? And does anybody know of any good shops to do it in Chennai?

Although visibility will improve when fog lights are used, fog lights wont provide the range like the headlights. For short range, fogs can provide very good visibility.
The best option would be to go for 90/100w bulbs and I recommend Philips.
As long as you do not cut the wires, it wont void the warranty. I used this long time back.
But make sure you use the branded kit only which includes bulbs, wires, relay and ceramic holder. Any defects in one component is enough to affect the complete kit. So remember - ONLY BRANDED KITS.!

I think you can check out GP road, else fellow chennai bhpians can help you out.

Cheers.!
Old 26th September 2010, 13:50   #4290
BHPian

@ Naveen: Thanks for your help bro.
That would be great if we could source it from Cochin.
Checked with Satya from Evo. Told my requirement. He told
he will get back to me next week regarding the same. He seems
to be a nice chap. Anyways will let you know.

Will keep trying from my end. If you get to know any sources,
please let me know. I guess there are many Bhpians from Cochin.
Do you know anyone whom we can check with?

I agree with you that the quality and life of the LED's matter the most.
I don't want the stuff to break in no time after so much of struggle to install
one. Hopefully i should have one soon.

Cheers,
Regards,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks