Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2010, 20:29   #4411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamhegde View Post
Hella is not bad but for some reason, many of us are using Philips Rallye 100/90.
Please get the headlight aligned in a alignment shop. High-powered headlight with mis-aligned beam is bad to have for oncoming vehicle drivers. A proper alignment will really give you useful light beams.
I paid Rs.200 for headlight alignment approx a year back.

Can you please let us know where in bangalore we can do headlight alignment ?
Old 12th October 2010, 21:06   #4412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
I think this is already discussed here.
But this is what I am trying to source.

Blinking Smart Stop - Flashing Brake Light
Hi, if you can get a strobe light, it will give you a similar effect but the flashing is a little slower.

A cheap alternative is to use a capacitor before the brake lamp. Based on the capacitor rating, the flicker rating will change.

Cheers
Old 13th October 2010, 10:37   #4413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
You can google for simple flasher circuit like the one below.

There are just two resistors, a small-signal transistor such as a BC547, one ‘flashing’ LED and a string of ‘normal’ LEDs. The flashing LED works as an oscillator and switches the transistor on and off; and the transistor switches all the other LEDs. An (unregulated) 12 V mains supply can be used for power.
No current-limiting resistor is required in the LED chain, because the forward voltages of the LEDs in the chain add up to the supply voltage. If red LEDs are used, with a voltage drop of 1.65 V, then 12 V will supply seven; alternatively, use six yellow (2.1 V each) or five green (2.7 V).
Alongside the NPN transistor add a PNP transistor with its emitter connected to +12 V, with another string of LEDs connected down to ground. The two strings will flash alternately.

Thanks Gigy for the inputs, but am in a lookout for a better design where it can handle both the tail lamps and the third brake LEDs in a specific manner like in the link I've posted. I think I've got one design and am on it. Lets see what will come out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
The above would work but be aware that it has some limitations.
  • The flash frequency is quite low depending on flash frequency of D1...possibly 1 to 2 CPS or less with almost 50% duty cycle. I'm yet to see flasher LED's with faster flash rates. It would flicker like your side indicator. The slow flash and 50% duty cycle would no be that "bling"
  • The third brake light will not detect the rate of deceleration. They would flash the same every time the power (or brake) is applied
  • No light decay effect as in expensive models. The light would just cycle between Full ON and Full OFF (a la cheap disco lights popular with Autoricks)
A better but slightly more involved solution would be to use a 555 timer based PWM circuit with adjustable flash frequency and duty cycle control.

One such circuit is at DPRG: A Simple PWM Circuit Based on the 555 Timer

The frequency in the above circuit is set too high for our application but can easily be altered with a different combination of R1, C1 as explained in the article.

Instead of the motor, you can drive an appropriate string of LED and you could use a power transistor (if mosfet is not available) to drive larger number of LED's in Series-Parallel mode.

The above suggestion still would not have the decay effect or the deceleration based flashing of expensive units. They would require a more complex design.

DV, thanks for the tips, I know 555 can do some simple but awesome jobs, I think its the one IC that every one used to start off as a hobby projects as its the most easiest and simplest ones available. But I need a better and reliable design which can handle a load upto 50W for the tail lights and the TBL. Driving through a relay can be very much noisy so I dropped it.

This is the one I've short listed using 555

Name:  Third Brake light flasher f555.gif
Views: 1869
Size:  4.1 KB

This is the most simplest one driving with relays, needless to say noisy too.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-brake-light-flasher-relays.jpg

All these designs have only one pattern such as flashing continuously which I think not appealing at all.
Old 13th October 2010, 10:42   #4414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Hi, if you can get a strobe light, it will give you a similar effect but the flashing is a little slower.

A cheap alternative is to use a capacitor before the brake lamp. Based on the capacitor rating, the flicker rating will change.

Cheers

Headers, I don't want to add anything extra and there's no provision in my car so thinking of doing something within the limits but at the same time something new too.

If you read my above post, you get an idea of what am looking for.

Last edited by sajjt : 13th October 2010 at 10:43.
Old 13th October 2010, 13:29   #4415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamhegde View Post
Hella is not bad but for some reason, many of us are using Philips Rallye 100/90.
Please get the headlight aligned in a alignment shop. High-powered headlight with mis-aligned beam is bad to have for oncoming vehicle drivers. A proper alignment will really give you useful light beams.
I paid Rs.200 for headlight alignment approx a year back.
How much does a pair of Philips Rallye 100/90 headlamps cost ? And where in Bangalore did you go for this headlamp alignment?
Old 13th October 2010, 14:09   #4416
Senior - BHPian

555 is good to work with.
flashing leds is fine but flashing tail light bulbs will considerably lower its life. may be you can look out ways for adding few leds to existing tail lamps and give them the flashing job while the normal tail lamps will continue stay lit. might be more soothing for rear vehicle occupants.
Old 13th October 2010, 14:13   #4417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
How much does a pair of Philips Rallye 100/90 headlamps cost ? And where in Bangalore did you go for this headlamp alignment?
I have forgotten exactly how much I paid for the 100/90 bulbs.
Had got the lights aligned at A1 wheel alignment near Ashoka Piller.
Old 13th October 2010, 16:35   #4418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
555 is good to work with.
flashing leds is fine but flashing tail light bulbs will considerably lower its life. may be you can look out ways for adding few leds to existing tail lamps and give them the flashing job while the normal tail lamps will continue stay lit. might be more soothing for rear vehicle occupants.
Thats a good thought, Continuous flashing makes it irritable to the following drivers especially at nights, and thats why would like to stay away from 555.

The one am going to work will blink 3 times and then steady untill the brake lever is depressed. It will give more visibility to the followers and there by increased safety too. What do you say?

And if this too irritable then flashing will be limited to the third brake LEDs.
Old 13th October 2010, 16:46   #4419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
How much does a pair of Philips Rallye 100/90 headlamps cost ?
Last time I checked @ JC Road it was about 140/- per bulb.
Old 14th October 2010, 11:41   #4420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsmind View Post
Its on the way. Should finish the install over the next week. It is a simple install which takes about 15 minutes.
Great.. for swift, we have a provision. It's a pin to install in the OHC, if u want
the placement to be similar to an F1 car. I knew a guy in Green VTEC who
did the same kind of installation in the chassis. his name is gautham but i lost
his number. Have seen his car many times near JP nagar.

Any updates, keep me posted.. I shall follow up.
I found a guy in Malaysia who had the kit for for 700 bucks. the proble being
he wants cash to be in RMD. Not sure how we go about the transaction.
Old 14th October 2010, 12:30   #4421
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda_Power View Post
Great.. for swift, we have a provision. It's a pin to install in the OHC, if u want
the placement to be similar to an F1 car. I knew a guy in Green VTEC who
did the same kind of installation in the chassis. his name is gautham but i lost
his number. Have seen his car many times near JP nagar.

Any updates, keep me posted.. I shall follow up.
I found a guy in Malaysia who had the kit for for 700 bucks. the proble being
he wants cash to be in RMD. Not sure how we go about the transaction.
You are right. It is a blessing in swift to convert the third brake lamp into the flashing warning lamp. I am even working on getting this full LED clear third brake lamp out of Malaysia. This will make it a perfect flashing brake lamp. Working out on the rates and shipping costs with the vendor.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-swift-led-thirdbrakelamp.jpg  

Old 14th October 2010, 15:23   #4422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Last time I checked @ JC Road it was about 140/- per bulb.
Thanks Praful. i will check this out at JC Road.
Old 15th October 2010, 12:00   #4423

Thanks guyz.. yes looks like focus issue only.. coz more than 3 people have asked me to get out of high beam (even though I wasnt in it).. I will be hitting the A.S.S this weekend to correct it..

Is there a price difference between Halle and Philips bulbs??
Old 15th October 2010, 12:54   #4424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indkish View Post
Thanks guyz.. yes looks like focus issue only.. coz more than 3 people have asked me to get out of high beam (even though I wasnt in it).. I will be hitting the A.S.S this weekend to correct it..

Is there a price difference between Halle and Philips bulbs??
I guess there is a minor difference between the 2 makes. Hella a but expensive than Philips if i am not wrong.
Old 16th October 2010, 12:59   #4425

Upgrade/Replace Stock Bulbs for Grand Punto

I'm on the verge of replacing the stock Headlight Bulbs of my GP with Phillips Extreme Power 12V 6O/55W (H4's).
Also replacing the fog lights with Phillips Blue vision H1's 12V/55W.
This is being done bearing in mind my ride's just 3weeks old ;Wanted to avoid warranty related issues associated with HID Kits replacing the wiring etc.
Phillips claims 80% more light/25 mts longer beam.[ I reckon that should be taken with a pinch of Mobil1!]

I would appreciate confirmation from ye experts if this is the appropriate choice considering my requirement is basically better lighting/improved vehicle aesthetics.
Gurus, kindly shed some ''Xenon'' light on this conundrum!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks