Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2010, 17:39   #4396
Senior - BHPian

@Naveen: I get that, but I want to know what mm wire to use for what wattage etc etc..get the drift?

It would be a guideline for a lot of us.
Old 11th October 2010, 17:40   #4397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
A relay does not supply power. A relay is a route.
You can route the current through your car stock wiring, or you can fit a relay, and route it through separate wiring, which is recommended if your upgraded bulbs draw more current than stock bulbs
Stand corrected. The words should have been "Relay is capable of handling more power - if required"
Old 11th October 2010, 19:16   #4398
BHPian

Suggestions required for Hella Safeguarding Auxiliary Lamps

TBHP Friends, I have recently installed Hella 700FF Auxiliary Driving Lamps on my Safari. Thanks for many TBHPians who guided me in selecting the right model and the right place to buy.

It indeed looks great on my drive. I have noticed (as has been discussed in this thread earlier) that safeguarding these Aux Lamps is very difficult. It can be easily removed by removing the nut/bolt. I need suggesstions on how to make it theft proof (or at least very difficult). I need to be able to loosen the nut to adjust the focus, but the nut should not come off completely. Some options that I have considered are

1. Welding the end portion of the bolt thread (But this makes the job look ugly, will leave a black trace)
2. Use electronic solder (The ones which are used on PCBs). The look will be good, but I am not sure how strong it will be.
3. Use some kind of glue or M-Seal at the end. Again it can be removed by a strong plier, though it will make the job very difficult.

Guys, suggest me something which will make my investment worthwhile.

Thank you,

Last edited by NiTviN : 11th October 2010 at 19:18. Reason: Correction
Old 11th October 2010, 19:28   #4399
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
@Naveen: I get that, but I want to know what mm wire to use for what wattage etc etc..get the drift?

It would be a guideline for a lot of us.
Am not sure on that. Maybe Sajjt can pour his ideas here.

@Sajjt - Any help on this??
Old 11th October 2010, 19:44   #4400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post

I've got some circuits for the same and planning to assemble with delayed blinkers for the third brake lights + main. May be next week I can complete if time permits
hey sajjit,

what is this thing & what does it do? can you please post a picture of this?

Drive safe.
Old 12th October 2010, 11:37   #4401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Am not sure on that. Maybe Sajjt can pour his ideas here.

@Sajjt - Any help on this??
Naveen, this is what I used to refer. Have a look on this table.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-wire-guage-chart-head-lamps.jpg

This is for converting AWG (American Wire Guage) to Metric MM

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-wire-guage-convertor-awg-sqmm.jpg

And this can be considered at the time of ICE upgrades

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-wire-guage-chart-car-audio-wattage-length-1.jpg

And this too.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-wire-guage-calculator-load.jpg

Hope this helps
Old 12th October 2010, 11:54   #4402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
hey sajjit,

what is this thing & what does it do? can you please post a picture of this?

Drive safe.
I think this is already discussed here.

Here's is the live show

But this is what I am trying to source.

Blinking Smart Stop - Flashing Brake Light

But the cost factor making me to assemble one for less than Rs.100/- where the site claims for the same for $29

Let me see if I can materialize this with this budget.
Old 12th October 2010, 14:32   #4403
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
I think this is already discussed here.

Here's is the live show

YouTube - v-leds third brake light flasher matt morgantini toy box

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=B-nm-kEu0aw

But this is what I am trying to source.

Blinking Smart Stop - Flashing Brake Light

But the cost factor making me to assemble one for less than Rs.100/- where the site claims for the same for $29

Let me see if I can materialize this with this budget.
Hey, great one there. Keep us updated on this. Would love something like this on my ride.
Also, thanks for the other attachments. Was really helpful.

Cheers.!
Old 12th October 2010, 15:51   #4404

After going through many posts in this thread (which I think is way too big to read completely) I had decided to go for a 100/90 bulb... so went to Sachin's Auto shop in Koramangala, Banglaore and asked for an upgrade.. Kumar there suggested I go for Halle than Philips (but I see Naveen here is a big Philips fan and vouches for it).. so I went by Kumar's word and got it replaced for 800Rs (bulbs + relay)..

From the time its replaced.. I see that the lighting has now shifted a bit up, rather than the road. What can I do to get it properly adjusted? Autoshop guys said they cant do anything about it! Also after replacement I feel that the high beam is not that effective, is that how it is generally after going to 100/90? Or its the problem with headlight focus?
Old 12th October 2010, 16:07   #4405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indkish View Post
After going through many posts in this thread (which I think is way too big to read completely) I had decided to go for a 100/90 bulb... so went to Sachin's Auto shop in Koramangala, Banglaore and asked for an upgrade.. Kumar there suggested I go for Halle than Philips (but I see Naveen here is a big Philips fan and vouches for it).. so I went by Kumar's word and got it replaced for 800Rs (bulbs + relay)..

From the time its replaced.. I see that the lighting has now shifted a bit up, rather than the road. What can I do to get it properly adjusted? Autoshop guys said they cant do anything about it! Also after replacement I feel that the high beam is not that effective, is that how it is generally after going to 100/90? Or its the problem with headlight focus?
There is definitely problem with you headlight focus. You have to visit your service station to correct focus. Which brand is this Halle? Never heard of this brand. You should have opted PHILIPS instead of any other company.

I am using PHILIPS 100/90 setup in my 800 for last 2 years and it gives too much bright light. High beam is excellent and faraway object looks very clear. Low beam is almost like daylight (For near objects).
Old 12th October 2010, 16:20   #4406
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The issue is with focus adjustment, just get it done at your Service center or do it yourself. I had similar issue when i changed to 90/100. Since 100/90 has longer reach the focus changes.
Old 12th October 2010, 16:23   #4407
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Headlight focus is certainly the problem here. This is quite common when HID's are used in aftermarket projectors. A lot of adjusting is needed to get it right. But, for normal higher rated bulbs this problem shouldnt have occurred. Guess, the installation wasnt perfect. You will need to go back and get this focusing corrected. Make sure you personally check this. I have used higher rated bulbs before, and I could definitely feel the difference. Also, Philips would have been the right choice.
Anyways, visit the garage and get the focusing fixed. Once done, you will feel the difference.

Cheers.!
Old 12th October 2010, 18:16   #4408
BHPian

Quote:

Hella is not bad but for some reason, many of us are using Philips Rallye 100/90.
Please get the headlight aligned in a alignment shop. High-powered headlight with mis-aligned beam is bad to have for oncoming vehicle drivers. A proper alignment will really give you useful light beams.
I paid Rs.200 for headlight alignment approx a year back.
Old 12th October 2010, 18:21   #4409
Senior - BHPian

You can google for simple flasher circuit like the one below.

There are just two resistors, a small-signal transistor such as a BC547, one ‘flashing’ LED and a string of ‘normal’ LEDs. The flashing LED works as an oscillator and switches the transistor on and off; and the transistor switches all the other LEDs. An (unregulated) 12 V mains supply can be used for power.
No current-limiting resistor is required in the LED chain, because the forward voltages of the LEDs in the chain add up to the supply voltage. If red LEDs are used, with a voltage drop of 1.65 V, then 12 V will supply seven; alternatively, use six yellow (2.1 V each) or five green (2.7 V).
Alongside the NPN transistor add a PNP transistor with its emitter connected to +12 V, with another string of LEDs connected down to ground. The two strings will flash alternately.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-flashingledsschematic.jpg  

Old 12th October 2010, 18:55   #4410
BHPian

The above would work but be aware that it has some limitations.
  • The flash frequency is quite low depending on flash frequency of D1...possibly 1 to 2 CPS or less with almost 50% duty cycle. I'm yet to see flasher LED's with faster flash rates. It would flicker like your side indicator. The slow flash and 50% duty cycle would no be that "bling"
  • The third brake light will not detect the rate of deceleration. They would flash the same every time the power (or brake) is applied
  • No light decay effect as in expensive models. The light would just cycle between Full ON and Full OFF (a la cheap disco lights popular with Autoricks)

A better but slightly more involved solution would be to use a 555 timer based PWM circuit with adjustable flash frequency and duty cycle control.

One such circuit is at DPRG: A Simple PWM Circuit Based on the 555 Timer

The frequency in the above circuit is set too high for our application but can easily be altered with a different combination of R1, C1 as explained in the article.

Instead of the motor, you can drive an appropriate string of LED and you could use a power transistor (if mosfet is not available) to drive larger number of LED's in Series-Parallel mode.

The above suggestion still would not have the decay effect or the deceleration based flashing of expensive units. They would require a more complex design.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks