Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2020, 12:42   #11776
Senior - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
If you are using HIDs right now in low beam reflectors - please get rid of them. It is illegal & you are taking a big risk by blinding oncoming traffic. I suggest you put standard 55W halognes in low as well as high beams
So you haven't read my post well enough. I already have an aftermarket HID projector setup in my current headlights so I am not blinding anyone as I have not installed HIDs in the reflector set up.

Quote:
install bixenon projector fog lights down below.
Once you install good HID projectors in your headlights, you will almost never ever use the fogs again.

Quote:
If you have projectors in low beam but aren't happy with the performance in rains - what colour temperature HIDs are you using? If its the white 5500K or higher ones - they are not too good in rains. Try 4200 or 4300K bulbs. They'll make a huge difference.
I am not happy with the performance overall. The bubs are Morimoto and Ballasts are AES. Even the cut off slants towards the ends which I believe points to low quality / defective projectors. The colour temperature of the bulbs are 5000K.

Quote:
It might be ageing ballasts & bulbs instead. I suggest you replace them first.
These have already been replaced from Xenon Planet bulbs and ballasts to Morimoto bulbs and AES ballasts.

Quote:
Blaze India is one of the currently most recognized 3rd party supplier in our market for Chinese sourced projector and HID setups. IPHCar etc for example.
Almost everything is made in China these days. The question is, if it is the same product and quality which is re-branded and sold at a premium, then what is the better option? But I am not sure if Morimoto are re-branded AES. I am however given to understand that this is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One:1 View Post
I've been running morimoto D2S's (35w 4.0's) for quite a while and for me personally I think they're worth every penny. If you're not in a hurry, I suggest waiting for Black Friday and buying them off theretrofitsource.com.
I will keep a watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One:1 View Post
On a side note, if you're looking at morimotos, I suggest checking out the MLED 2.0. They sure do give the D2S 5.0's a run for their money!
Never been a fan of LEDs. I have personally always found HIDs to give better lighting especially with OEM.

Last edited by Epic : 27th June 2020 at 12:43.
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 13:09   #11777
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
So you haven't read my post well enough. I already have an aftermarket HID projector setup in my current headlights so I am not blinding anyone as I have not installed HIDs in the reflector set up.
Actually I had read your post well. To clarify, if you read my post properly, the part that you quoted above, is in reference to a different member's post. That car has HIDs in reflectors (which I learnt is by design in Altis V). I have just used the good old multi quote, so not all content was referring your case.
Old 27th June 2020, 15:54   #11778
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Once you install good HID projectors in your headlights, you will almost never ever use the fogs again.
If you are very unlikely to encounter fog, by all means this is fine. But the low mounted OE fog lamps are very helpful when none of the other lights work - in Fog.
Old 27th June 2020, 17:32   #11779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
If you are very unlikely to encounter fog, by all means this is fine. But the low mounted OE fog lamps are very helpful when none of the other lights work - in Fog.
I live in Mumbai so highly unlikely to encounter fog. My current OE fog lamps have 5000K HIDs (without a projector) installed in them and are almost never used.
Old 29th June 2020, 17:51   #11780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are using HIDs right now in low beam reflectors - please get rid of them. It is illegal & you are taking a big risk by blinding oncoming traffic. I suggest you put standard 55W halognes in low as well as high beams & then install bixenon projector fog lights down below. This will solve all your problems and make your rides safer.
If you have projectors in low beam but aren't happy with the performance in rains - what colour temperature HIDs are you using? If its the white 5500K or higher ones - they are not too good in rains. Try 4200 or 4300K bulbs. They'll make a huge difference.
As mentioned by One:1, Altis VL-AT variant came with factory fitted HID's sans the projectors. There is nothing wrong with the spread and intensity but I would love to have more power.
I am not too keen on tinkering with the headlamps, so the easiest option might be the 100/90 watt bulbs with a relay.
Also projectors for the fog lamps is also an option worth exploring. I will get in touch with Blaze India.
Old 30th June 2020, 04:07   #11781
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
As mentioned by One:1, Altis VL-AT variant came with factory fitted HID's sans the projectors. There is nothing wrong with the spread and intensity but I would love to have more power.
I am not too keen on tinkering with the headlamps, so the easiest option might be the 100/90 watt bulbs with a relay.
Also projectors for the fog lamps is also an option worth exploring. I will get in touch with Blaze India.
Hey Hiren! Bi-xenon fog lamps would be the best option for enhanced visibility. This is more of a supplementary solution which actually performs better than the main headlight! I've got a few people retrofit it within my circle, and the results are promising. I am planning to buy it for your.. errr.. my Punto soon, once things get back to normal!

100/90 is H4 configuration which won't work out as yours is a dual-beam headlight. You can try checking 100W H1 (or H7?) with relay, or a Philips Xtremevision 55W H1 (link) which would be a bit easy on the wiring and headlamp reflector as you're already planning for dual beam fog lights.
Na_sh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 10:10   #11782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Na_sh View Post
Hey Hiren! Bi-xenon fog lamps would be the best option for enhanced visibility. This is more of a supplementary solution which actually performs better than the main headlight! I've got a few people retrofit it within my circle, and the results are promising. I am planning to buy it for your.. errr.. my Punto soon, once things get back to normal!

100/90 is H4 configuration which won't work out as yours is a dual-beam headlight. You can try checking 100W H1 (or H7?) with relay, or a Philips Xtremevision 55W H1 (link) which would be a bit easy on the wiring and headlamp reflector as you're already planning for dual beam fog lights.
What a pleasant surprise to find you here.
The punto already has a 100/90 setup, no complaints over there.

I wil surely pursue the bi-xenon setup for the fogs. Hopefully Blaze India has a set that can fit the Altis.

Cheers
Old 30th June 2020, 12:39   #11783
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Hello all,
I have a 2013 Corolla Altis VL-AT which has HID for low beams and regular halogens for high beams. The HID's are great when driving on roads without street lights but they get lost in most other conditions especially rains. I also love the way they auto level after getting switched on.

I am thinking of upgrading the high beams bulbs with that of higher wattage 90/100 and a relay. Can anything be done for the low beams? I am not too keen on projectors as I am not comfortable opening up the headlights. I read somewhere that I swap the HID bulbs with 9005/9006 halogens, will have to dig a little bit more on this. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.
I strongly suggest you not tinker with the main headlamp since it has OEM HID's. Since the headlamp assembly has the HID ballasts inbuilt to power the low beam HID bulbs, you cannot just swap the bulbs to halogen. The low beam HID is a D2R , R denotes the bulb is meant for reflector setup.

Upgrade the fogs. If you want a plug and play , then get a high quality CSP/Flip chip type LED bulbs. If you are OK with some DIY and tinkering, go for the HID projector setup like others have suggested.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 18:21   #11784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post

Upgrade the fogs. If you want a plug and play , then get a high quality CSP/Flip chip type LED bulbs. If you are OK with some DIY and tinkering, go for the HID projector setup like others have suggested.
I'm 100% not tinkering with the headlights, the halogen swap was just a thought and it been consigned to the bin. I am actively thinking of bi-xenon projector setup for the fog lamps.
I have got in touch with Blaze India, they have a AES set for 8K. I need to decide in the coming weeks. They have the HID's in 4300K available.
Old 4th July 2020, 03:59   #11785

Hi,

My thoughts for getting rid of those dark spots ahead of me on highways:

Either
1. The old-school aux lamp - choose a 3003 rallye series or a Lightforce Blitz; key concerns: would it suit the well-shaved face of Harrier and also whether these (especially the larger Lightforce units) would impact the drag coefficient (read aerodynamics) to a significant extent and also how to mount (read pt 4)

Or
2. LED light bar: A couple of Hella 350 maybe or a Hella 470; key concerns: are these bars as effective as halogens as far as throw and reach are concerned?

3. As for the stock headlamps, I am wondering whether to upgrade to Hella 100W H7 bulbs or get LED upgrades. I have tested quite a few LED conversion kits in the market and have felt they are a hit or miss based on your reflector design. Have found even Auxbeams fail miserably in a Swift and local Chinese products do good in Scorpio. If any Harrier owner would have had a good experience with LED upgrade of stock, I am all ears.

4. Now, to my last and most important concern - mounting these. I am looking for a non-invasive way of mounting (not too keen about the process where the guy would dismember the front beam of my chassis for welding an angle into it). I am happy to go with an overhead arrangement if you suggest the LED bars (will point these down so as not to blind the oncoming traffic), but am in search of a quality roof crossbar which can be fit without drilling my roof. In case I go with Halogen aux, I could still skip uninstalling the bumper n installing the lights on the roof, but would need a snap-swivel arrangement to be able to fold these aux units easily when not in use (with the front glass parallel to roof surface) to escape attention of cops. Request guidance on finding and installing such a crossbar and better still, such a swivel arrangement.

Request inputs and suggestions on each of the points above please.
Old 5th July 2020, 09:06   #11786
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonHead91 View Post
Hi,

My thoughts for getting rid of those dark spots ahead of me on highways:

Either
1. The old-school aux lamp - choose a 3003 rallye series or a Lightforce Blitz;

Or
2. LED light bar: A couple of Hella 350 maybe or a Hella 470

3. As for the stock headlamps, I am wondering whether to upgrade to Hella 100W H7 bulbs or get LED upgrades.

4. Now, to my last and most important concern - mounting these.

Request inputs and suggestions on each of the points above please.
Hi, since you have mentioned Harrier - I will suggest you to look at fitting 3" Bi-Xenon projector headlamps in place of your fog lamps and use 55w 4300k HID. Kindly requesting you to look at this option. It will have no visual difference to the styling (people will see a small bulge of the lens when going close by). And aerodynamics are also not affected. You can run the high beam of the fog lamp with a separate switch mounted inside your dashboard. The whole setup will cost you under 15k (under 8k when done as a DIY by yourself).

Look at the light output of ONLY the fog lamps from these foglamps in my ecosport (I run a 35w 4300k HID) - 55w HIDs will be even brighter.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-1593919998717.jpg  

Surya-TJet is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 10:12   #11787

Hello All,

I am looking to upgrade the stock bulbs of my hyundai elite i20 2019. Looking for recommendations. I do not wish to upgrade to HID or LED. Just something which are brighter than stock.
Old 5th July 2020, 10:46   #11788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by @sohel View Post
Hello All,

I am looking to upgrade the stock bulbs of my hyundai elite i20 2019. Looking for recommendations. I do not wish to upgrade to HID or LED. Just something which are brighter than stock.
You can go for Philips Racing Vision or Philips Xtreme Vision+ G-Force. Should cost you under 2k per pair. Its a 2 min DIY.
Surya-TJet is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 12:12   #11789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surya-TJet View Post
You can go for Philips Racing Vision or Philips Xtreme Vision+ G-Force. Should cost you under 2k per pair. Its a 2 min DIY.
Are you talking about these two ?
1. https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07ZRRBXR2/..._cxxaFbBB3M382

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07CPTR1F9/..._QxxaFbY7JXJYT.

What's the difference between them? And would you know how the osram one compares?

3. https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07RB5J71L/..._oyxaFbH4C4TGH

I know stock replacement bulbs are a thing of the past with projectors and LEDs but I would like to start of the upgrade journey with these
Old 5th July 2020, 12:40   #11790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
Are you talking about these two ?
1. https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07ZRRBXR2/..._cxxaFbBB3M382

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07CPTR1F9/..._QxxaFbY7JXJYT.

What's the difference between them? And would you know how the osram one compares?

3. https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07RB5J71L/..._oyxaFbH4C4TGH

I know stock replacement bulbs are a thing of the past with projectors and LEDs but I would like to start of the upgrade journey with these
Yes, these two. Philips Racing Vision is around 10% brighter (especially high beam) than Xtreme Vision+ G-Force. Also, Racing Vision is around 3800k low beam and 4000k high beam colour temperature.

Xtreme Vision+ G-Force on the other hand has a longer life span (450 hours as against 200 hours).

I personally would not recommend Osram as I have faced two premature bulb failures and both times; Osram denied warranty citing high road load impact broke the bulbs.

I have used Racing Vision and it lasted 250+ hours for me before one bulb's low beam conked off.

I am currently using Xtreme Vision+ G-Force as the roads in my neighbourhood are pretty broken and bumpy. And the light output is pretty good.

Cheers & Safe Driving
Surya-TJet is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks