Old 20th January 2017, 18:55   #10276
Distinguished - BHPian

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
For those who are thinking about upgrading to 90/100 ( H4) or higher:

Attachment 1596549

This is a ceramic holder ..

That looks like a poor quality holder or an overheating bulb. After seeing this I went down to check out my car and here it is :

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-imageuploadedbyteambhp1484918687.055709.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-imageuploadedbyteambhp1484918722.400567.jpg

This is after 6 years and 40k kms of driving. Apart from the dirt, it looks as good as new.

Last edited by audioholic : 20th January 2017 at 19:06.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2017, 19:50   #10277
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
For those who are thinking about upgrading to 90/100 ( H4) or higher:

This is a ceramic holder ..
Each holder is manufactured according to the amount of heat that it can withstand. Looking at the photo, Iam guessing its a company wiring which comes with 55/60 lamps.

Generally halogen bulbs will provide only 60% light and 40% is heat. So if you change the bulb to a 90W, the heat produced will be more than 55W. This would happen because your original wiring was built to withstand power and heat produced by a 55/60w bulb.

Headlight units of any car are designed and engineered for the type of bulbs they would be used. And 55/60 has been the standards for decades. Plus, i think its illegal to go beyond 55/60.

If you are going to use 100/90 ones, be sure to use aftermarket kits that support 100/90 bulbs. Note that it also voids warranty.

@audioholic, those are holders from aftermarket wiring kits right ?
Old 20th January 2017, 21:08   #10278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
That looks like a poor quality holder or an overheating bulb. After seeing this I went down to check out my car and here it is :
This is after 6 years and 40k kms of driving. Apart from the dirt, it looks as good as new.
Checked my Safari's holder and it is the same as this, no damages. Had upgrade almost 7 year back and have been running 100/130 bulbs most of the time.
Old 20th January 2017, 21:34   #10279
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramharis View Post
Each holder is manufactured according to the amount of heat that it can withstand. Looking at the photo, Iam guessing its a company wiring which comes with 55/60 lamps.

If you are going to use 100/90 ones, be sure to use aftermarket kits that support 100/90 bulbs. Note that it also voids warranty.

@audioholic, those are holders from aftermarket wiring kits right ?
Yes its made by ROOTs and I use a PMP relay. But regarding warranty part, I don't think it should be an issue if managed well. It's not difficult to reverse the changes and get back to stock setup without even leaving a clue of the upgrade.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2017, 23:33   #10280
BHPian

Sorry was away for few days. And now I am back with the same query but for a different product this time. So as from my earlier post I am looking to get new bulbs (H7) for the headlights of my Indica Vista Vx. I had a discussion with my brother (another BHPian) who owns a Tata Manza and he suggested to stay on stock lamps. However while browsing on YouTube few days back I found another bulb which is Osram Nightbreaker Laser. As one of my friends is on an official trip to United States so I am planning to order it and he will bring them. Here is the link from Ali express for the bulbs in question. Please suggest if these are any good?

https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/3277...fZox2#autostay
Old 29th January 2017, 11:34   #10281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racsaxen View Post
Sorry was away for few days. And now I am back with the same query but for a different product this time. So as from my earlier post I am looking to get new bulbs (H7) for the headlights of my Indica Vista Vx. I had a discussion with my brother (another BHPian) who owns a Tata Manza and he suggested to stay on stock lamps. However while browsing on YouTube few days back I found another bulb which is Osram Nightbreaker Laser. As one of my friends is on an official trip to United States so I am planning to order it and he will bring them. Here is the link from Ali express for the bulbs in question. Please suggest if these are any good?

https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/3277...fZox2#autostay
I am unable to comment on the specific product as I never used it. But two other points
1. I once compared two Ertigas , one with Philips Extreme vision and one on stock bulbs, side by side and found almost same output. You can find the photos somewhere in this thread I believe

2. If you are buying from US, buy from Amazon.com or many other local sites whom you can be sure that you get original Osram.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 12:39   #10282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvindyoga View Post
Hi Joslicx,

Yes I ordered the H4 bulbs from powerbulbs.com
The bulbs do perform as your description. The delivery time was 2 weeks. After trying out almost all the halogen 55/60W h4 options, I was happy with the way these racing vision 55/60W h4 bulbs did their job.
However, the overall shopping experience was not good. Since the website themselves have a disclaimer about the short lives of these bulbs, I had ordered a second pair to keep as spare. The consignment was received in 2 weeks this time too, but the bulbs received the second time were looking like a used pair. They had loose packing, the metal part had too many scratches and the pins had black soot like deposits and were looking a bit burnt, on both the bulbs. They work fine though, but I am very skeptical about the lives, especially as the second pair was looking used. Have shot a mail to them, haven't received a reply yet.
Old 31st January 2017, 22:19   #10283
Distinguished - BHPian

After a brief time with Osram rally 100/90, I began doubting whether I actually had an upgraded bulb running whenever I drove on the highway. So much that I went and physically checked the bulb if the wattage was correct. I switched from Phillips rally 100/90 to these Osrams just because the newer rallys from Phillips were not made in Germany anymore and Osram was offering German made bulbs.

Recently since there was some night driving in the western ghats, I decided to try out the made in India Phillips Rallys and it was a welcome change from the Osrams. The lighting colour and intensity was back to the earlier times of the Made in Germany rallys. The Phillips run whiter and brighter along with a more consistent spread in low beam and a goot high beam too. The better low beam ensured that high beam is needed only in pitch dark areas where the heading of the road is not to be seen. I would highly recommend the Phillips 100/90 when we speak about upgraded wattage bulbs. Even the Phillips Xtremevision bulbs in my Celerio run brighter than the Osram 100/90s.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 10:40   #10284
BHPian

Quote:

Recently since there was some night driving in the western ghats, I decided to try out the made in India Phillips Rallys and it was a welcome change from the Osrams. The lighting colour and intensity was back to the earlier times of the Made in Germany rallys. The Phillips run whiter and brighter along with a more consistent spread in low beam and a goot high beam too. The better low beam ensured that high beam is needed only in pitch dark areas where the heading of the road is not to be seen.
+1 on the Phillips experience.

Low beam of one of my Phillips (headlights) gave away on a night drive recently. Had a to buy an Osram, due to non-availability of Phillips Rally. The difference if clearly evident. Phillips on same wattage 100/90 is more brighter than Osram.
On my personal experience of all three Phillips is the brightest on the same wattage.
On Brightness I would rate them as as Phillips > Hella > Osram.

That Osram is now removed & kept as a spare.

Regards,
Saurabh

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 1st February 2017 at 10:42.
Old 1st February 2017, 10:41   #10285
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That looks like a poor quality holder or an overheating bulb.
Holders by Roots. Bulbs were possibly Philips
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 14:51   #10286
BANNED

A quick query regarding projectors and HIDs?

My son had replaced the H4's in his City with HIDs (4300K) in projectors. Driving back from Lucknow I found the beams excellent, but with very little spread on the sides, as expected. I somehow did not feel comfortable. Is that just me, or a common feeling?
Old 1st February 2017, 18:00   #10287
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Holders by Roots. Bulbs were possibly Philips
Blame that entirely on bad Ground of the holder for that particular bulb.

I have seen a case of such burnt holder on colleague's Grand i10. The installer had not scrapped the paint off that point where he fixed the ground and one of the headlights was always appearing super dim (as If it's parking light). When we removed it to check we found the holder burnt this way. When we removed the ground Ring terminal for that bulb, we noticed the ground itself was bad/weak. So it was loading the circuit.

I have never ever faced this in both cars, 3L Kms. I mostly use low beams and high is used only to male judgements or flash to overtake.

Since my bulbs fuse regularly (if I take into account 3L Kms, I may have changed 6 to 8 Bulbs till now all inclusive for both cars and for me that is fair), I can notice the health of the holders.

Personally, I found the Philips kit too flimsy and the holders not of great quality - Crack when you push them on the bulbs.

That photo reminds me of various ASCs that put this up to warn their customers against this mod

Last edited by paragsachania : 1st February 2017 at 18:06.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 18:17   #10288
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks, Parag. Frequent change is relative, saar ! For the amount of night driving you do, 6-8 looks normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
A quick query regarding projectors and HIDs?

My son had replaced the H4's in his City with HIDs (4300K) in projectors. Driving back from Lucknow I found the beams excellent, but with very little spread on the sides, as expected. I somehow did not feel comfortable. Is that just me, or a common feeling?
Looks like those Projectors are focusing the beams more up front and with a lesser spread. Your reaction is quite normal

Higher end cars would have adaptive lighting ( beams in sync with the steering ), while some models of the new i20 use a static bulb at the corner that lights up when we turn the steering either direction.
Old 3rd February 2017, 15:27   #10289
BHPian

Dear ARAY,
Quite impressed with those LEDs. Also went through your Sikkim travelogue which is just awesome.
Just one question: How do you switch between high and low beams with the LEDs? or is it always a fixed beam?

Last edited by globemaster : 3rd February 2017 at 15:28.
Old 4th February 2017, 10:55   #10290
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramharis View Post
Generally halogen bulbs will provide only 60% light and 40% is heat. So if you change the bulb to a 90W, the heat produced will be more than 55W. This would happen because your original wiring was built to withstand power and heat produced by a 55/60w bulb.
60% light >> You have hit the holy grail in lighting. It is far lower.

Please see
http://www.reptileuvinfo.com/html/wa...at-output.html

A normal incandescent bulb is 98% heat, a halogen about 97%. Even a fluorescent light emits over 85% as heat!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks