Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2017, 11:33   #10291
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

I have installed Hella Rally 130/90 bulbs with relay in my Grand I10. I am very impressed with the output. Difference is huge compared to stock 60/55 W bulbs. Also this is one of the most VFM upgrade. It costed just 1500 Rs. I was little concerned about excessive heating due to higher wattage. Anyways I have not faced any issue till now. Also the Halogens have better CRI and output is more practical than HID / LED.

Posting a video
Old 6th February 2017, 15:33   #10292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I have installed Hella Rally 130/90 bulbs with relay in my Grand I10. I am very impressed with the output. Difference is huge compared to stock 60/55 W bulbs. Also this is one of the most VFM upgrade. It costed just 1500 Rs. I was little concerned about excessive heating due to higher wattage. Anyways I have not faced any issue till now. Also the Halogens have better CRI and output is more practical than HID / LED.

Posting a video
I would say that's a bit too much. Plus your are drawing excessive current or of the battery than it should, so the effects will not be immediate. Long run you will see the demerits. Please dont drive within city on high beam. I have seen people drive always on high beam, and even when parked they have high beam on.

There are people who still use 50/60 even after 6 years on a figo especially. Most of then time they dont care about the cars oncoming, even if you flash they dont realize that they have to switch to low beam. There is no point in adding more power for a faulty design, so never bothered to install 100/90... But I do have hella 500ff installed with 100w bulb and pointed right at the oncoming cars, so they will fell what i have felt and still feeling everyday. Mind you i only turn it on only if the oncoming cars dont respond to my request to lower the beam (give them 2 opportunity). Only then they will feel my wrath.

Whats more astonishing is i have seen people following teambhp do the same. So i plead you not to use high beam within city and on single carriageway highways(when there is oncoming cars). Dual carriageways feel free.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th February 2017 at 08:42. Reason: Removed youtube URL from quoted post.
ramharis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 01:15   #10293
BHPian

I have a 2006 Honda City ZX VTEC. Lately the headlight throw has been awful and saw that the headlight cover was in a pretty bad state! Attaching pictures of the same.

Can this be fixed with the 3M headlight care stuff or any similar products, or should I get the assembly changed? Honda are quoting 16,000 without labour and taxes.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20170212_011058.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20170212_011142.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20170212_011159.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20170212_011214.jpg  

esoticoreventon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 08:13   #10294
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
I have a 2006 Honda City ZX VTEC. Lately the headlight throw has been awful and saw that the headlight cover was in a pretty bad state! Attaching pictures of the same.

Can this be fixed with the 3M headlight care stuff or any similar products, or should I get the assembly changed? Honda are quoting 16,000 without labour and taxes.
Are you using higher wattage bulbs? I had the same issue on my Swift (inside plastic peeled off). 3M offers headlight restoration package.

This can be tried as a DIY. There are many videos on YouTube and I have seen worse headlights been restored. To start off, you can try the toothpaste method. Suggest you to check the videos on YouTube.
Old 12th February 2017, 10:33   #10295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Try the plain Colgate method to clean up the lenses first. That will remove the 70-80% yellow build up on the outside of lenses.
Old 12th February 2017, 15:16   #10296
BHPian

Hello everyone,
I own a Neo Elantra that came factory fitted with halogen projectors for the low beam, and halogen reflectors for the high beam. The lights are more than adequate for the city but it feels quite low for the highways. Can someone enlighten me with the following questions:-
  1. I wish to replace the low beam bulbs in projectors from halogen to HID or something of that sort. Is it possible ?
  2. If i replace the bulbs to HIDs, will i need to get ballasts too for them ?
  3. Can anyone suggest a decent brand for the bulbs and the place from where i can procure it and get it replaced in Delhi-NCR?
  4. Lastly, about the high beam, I am fine with the halogen bulbs but i would want the throw to go a bit more further. Is there any possible way to do that ?
Old 12th February 2017, 15:53   #10297
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush46 View Post
Hello everyone,
I own a Neo Elantra that came factory fitted with halogen projectors for the low beam, and halogen reflectors for the high beam. The lights are more than adequate for the city but it feels quite low for the highways. Can someone enlighten me with the following questions:-
  1. I wish to replace the low beam bulbs in projectors from halogen to HID or something of that sort. Is it possible ?
  2. If i replace the bulbs to HIDs, will i need to get ballasts too for them ?
  3. Can anyone suggest a decent brand for the bulbs and the place from where i can procure it and get it replaced in Delhi-NCR?
  4. Lastly, about the high beam, I am fine with the halogen bulbs but i would want the throw to go a bit more further. Is there any possible way to do that ?
1. Yes. It is possible to replace the halogen bulb with a HID inside the projector. Many take this path to get better output from the stock halogen projectors. However, a HID inside a halogen projector will not provide the same output as that of a HID inside a HID projector.
2. Yes. You will have to go for external ballasts.
3. CNLight bulbs and Hylux ballasts are good. You can find many other posts regarding these bulbs and ballasts in this thread.
4. My guess is that the high beam should mostly be H7. You could try something like OSRAM Nightbreaker or Philips XV which should give you a marginal improvement over the stock H7. There are many reivews for these bulbs as well in this thread.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 18:41   #10298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

3M headlight care stuff will make a good difference. We had got the headlight restoration treatment done on a BMW 530D which had tired looking headlights and it was back up to 90% of its original glory.

The OE polycarbonate headlight lenses have a hardcoat on it which resists UV rays and chipping. Once headlight restoration is done, i.e., lenses are buffed out the hard coat is removed. So after restoration the lenses will deteriorate faster than if it were new. So abroad some of the professional headlight restorers use a chemical product which hardcoats the plastic lens after buffing is done. In the absence of hardcoat treatment i suggest you get a layer of 3M body protection film applied on the headlight, it will give some protection.

Edit: If the damage is internal it could be fixed but will have to separate the lens.

Last edited by Sankar : 12th February 2017 at 18:43.
Old 13th February 2017, 00:10   #10299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
The OE polycarbonate headlight lenses have a hardcoat on it which resists UV rays and chipping. Once headlight restoration is done, i.e., lenses are buffed out the hard coat is removed. So after restoration the lenses will deteriorate faster than if it were new. So abroad some of the professional headlight restorers use a chemical product which hardcoats the plastic lens after buffing is done. In the absence of hardcoat treatment i suggest you get a layer of 3M body protection film applied on the headlight, it will give some protection.
Sankar is right. In your own pictures you can see sort of a film peeling off, whenever it has peeled, there are major scratches. It's the hardcoat that has failed on your headlights. However applying body protection film wont help as the glue will come off easily owing to high temperatures from halogen bulbs.

Quote:
It can be fixed, however it is very difficult to say how much of an improvement you can expect after a restoration. Toothpaste will not make a dent to the fading you have.

I recently cleaned a friend's 13 year old santro's headlights and they came out well.

Before :

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20170207_125519.jpg

After :

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20170207_132412.jpg

Meanwhile, I replaced the stock foglamp projector with bixenon HID ones. I now have a total of 6 projectors on my car hehe, although only 5 are operation as of now.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20170204_190327.jpg

I had made a silly bet with a friend saying that I can put 8 projectors on my car, simply because I can. I'm just a pair away, pretty soon I will reach my target
SunnyBoi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 11:46   #10300
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
I had made a silly bet with a friend saying that I can put 8 projectors on my car, simply because I can. I'm just a pair away, pretty soon I will reach my target
Holly molly! The saving grace is all of these are HIDs in projectors housing. Else I think you are running a riot on the road! I am crunched on the budget but one sure day, want to put up the extra projector lights as AUX on my XUV too!
Old 13th February 2017, 12:00   #10301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
However applying body protection film wont help as the glue will come off easily owing to high temperatures from halogen bulbs.
I have had the 3m film applied to my ex Octy vrs' new headlight, so far no discolouration or peeling off. Its a combination of HID and halogen.
I have the same applied in my Crysta halogen headlights, its almost an year now no issues.
Did both as preventive measures, lights are new in both.
Old 13th February 2017, 13:00   #10302
BHPian

Hello guys i have upgraded headlamps of my Grand i10 with Philips Harness and Philips Rally 100/90w bulbs. I request fellow Grand i10 owners having similar setup that if this setup is sufficient for good light or not. Thanks in Advance.
Old 13th February 2017, 13:52   #10303
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4Nikunj View Post
Hello guys i have upgraded headlamps of my Grand i10 with Philips Harness and Philips Rally 100/90w bulbs. I request fellow Grand i10 owners having similar setup that if this setup is sufficient for good light or not. Thanks in Advance.
I have a colleague for whom we upgraded with similar set-up after Philips Xtreme Vision wasn't that good over stock, especially in rains.

Once we upgraded to 100/90 with the Wiring kit (Roots), the difference was big as expected. Been on that set-up now since a while and its the most simple and VFM upgrade from stock.

The only challenge was that Grand i10 comes with a plastic cap with tread that fits behind the headlamp bulb. To set-up this wiring kit, we had to make a small cut on that cap without which It was absolutely impossible to put the wires of the harness through.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 13:57   #10304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

The only challenge was that Grand i10 comes with a plastic cap with tread that fits behind the headlamp bulb. To set-up this wiring kit, we had to make a small cut on that cap without which It was absolutely impossible to put the wires of the harness through.
Thanks for quick reply parag sir in my car also the cap needed to be cut to accommodate wires.
N4Nikunj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 14:06   #10305
BANNED

@SunnyBio; Brilliant. I have also located a dedicated thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...nd-life-4.html

which may help. But you have done a fantastic job already.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks