Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2017, 08:07   #10441
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

I plan to replace my Stock Headlights and Fog Lamps of 2014 Grand i10. Overtime the bulbs have become much weaker, and not very effective.

I do know the headlight is H4, but I am unable to confirm the size of the Fog lamps. Would love if anybody could guide me through.

Also, has anyone had a good long term relation with the LED headlights, available on Aliexpress? They are cheaper compared to the Indian prices and seem reliable enough on paper too.
Old 20th May 2017, 08:17   #10442
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
.. I am unable to confirm the size of the Fog lamps. Would love if anybody could guide me through.
Details of all bulbs used will be listed in the owner's manual. Give it a look-up.
Old 20th May 2017, 12:56   #10443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Details of all bulbs used will be listed in the owner's manual. Give it a look-up.
The bulb type is not shown unfortunately. Only the wattage is shown which is 27w.
Old 20th May 2017, 13:29   #10444
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The bulb type is not shown unfortunately. Only the wattage is shown which is 27w.
Then it is Most likely a H27 type bulb.
Old 20th May 2017, 20:54   #10445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
A good setup could be with Philips Rally 90/100W bulbs, the set of bulbs my Swift currently has.
Thanks Goswami Sir for the advice.

So, today morning I went to a neighborhood accessory shop and got this setup installed (Philips Rally 100/90 with Philips relay) and went back in the evening to get the beam alignment done. That's where the guy messed up real bad.

Low Beam comparo:

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20170520_202946_1495292892248.jpg

High Beam comparo:

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20170520_203057_1495292718165.jpg

Also, while he was changing the bulbs, I noticed something disturbing -

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20170520_175210737_hdr.jpg

Notice the black area on the left? Looks like the reflector is burnt or something. The only question is how? I've been using 60/55 bulbs till now.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20170520_175205810_hdr.jpg

Some more weird marks on the reflector.

Any idea guys?
Old 20th May 2017, 21:52   #10446
BHPian

Hello,

Please help me choose a better lighting setup for the new Duster (2017 make).

I am most definitely a novice in terms of lighting and the type of bulbs etc, hence please bear with my silly questions

What I know is that the stock headlamp bulbs of the Duster are pretty weak. In my current (soon to be ex) car, I had got Osram projector headlamps installed back in 2015. These are white lights (not sure of the temperature though) and offer extremely good visibility. I have rarely switched to high beam in the last two years - they are so good for my use. Hence for the Duster (coming next week), I am planning to upgrade the lights but not sure how to go about it. The Renault dealer does not have any projector light options as an accessory, and that has left me a bit confused.

I have gone through some pages of this thread (of the massive 697 pages in total!), and got some idea about H4, H1, H7 types etc. But then, it's still a learning curve.

Any advice would be appreciated - I guess that's the best part of being in this forum, there's always something new to learn!
Old 20th May 2017, 23:09   #10447
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
So I plan to upgrade the lighting of both my cars - my 2011 VW Polo 1.6 and my 2015 VW Jetta TDI DSG.

Aim : To improve the current visibility so it is targeted towards performance.

VW Polo 1.6
Being a 2011 model, the car comes stock with clear reflectors. I had upgraded the headlight bulbs (H4) and fog lamp bulbs (H8) to Philips Xtreme Vision and there was definitely a noticeable difference in output and overall visibility. But this still left a lot to be desired.
So I decided to go for an aftermarket bi-xenon projector setup for the headlights with 5000K bulbs. Now the question for me is; in terms of visibility, is 5000K fine or is it better to stick with 4300K bulbs?
For the fogs I have decided to go with a HID setup (without projectors) with the same colour temperature as the headlights. Is it worth it or should I just stick to halogens?

VW Jetta
This is simpler. The Jetta already comes with a projector setup and 4300K HID bulbs as OEM. The lighting is pretty good but can it get better? Will just a bulbs change, like say to the Osram Xenarc CBI make a noticeable difference in visibility since they are expensive too?
For the Polo, I have used both 5000K and 4300K when I had the after market projector setup. Though the white light from 5000K looks nice, in terms of visibility 4300K is much better. So I would recommend 4300K.

Make sure to source a projector from reliable source like Morimoto or XenonPlanet. They will be a little expensive, but will be much more reliable than the cheaper ones. Also, I understand that XenonPlanet provides a better quality control.

Also, stick to 35W setup. Though a 55W setup would provide more Lumens output, the higher Lumens output does not increase visibility in the same proportion. I found the visibility to be better in the 35W 4300K setup than the 55W 5000K setup.

When going for an aftermarket projector setup in the Polo, make sure that the wiring and fitting are done by an experienced professional for trouble free operation. I have documented my experience with aftermarket projectors in the below thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...-page-8-a.html

For the Jetta, I think changing the OE bulbs to OSRAM or Philips should definitely increase light output. However, the Jetta has fantastic projectors with superb light spread that I have never felt the need to change the bulbs yet.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 00:35   #10448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd1200 View Post

I however also wanted to consider 130/100s. What are the cons of using this over 100/90s in a stock setup?
130/100 is actually an extreme option.
The light output is a bit more better than 100/90, but the heat produced is far more serious than what we expect.
It is strictly meant for use in older type headlight units with metallic/ceramic reflectors & real glass outer-covering.
Do not use it with the modern type headlights with clear-lens plastic glass and plastic reflectors, because in most cases it will cause gradual fading of the plastic glass and reflectors.
In some cases, it may even melt the reflectors depending upon the shape of the reflector.

Current drawn by 130W bulb is also higher, and it puts a heavy load on the battery and alternator.

So don't take risk if you have a clear glass healight with plastic outer-glass and reflectors.

I have used Philips Rally 100/90 H4 bulbs for several years in different cars that I owned, and I have found it to be very effective than most other options.

100/90 is more than enough for any person with normal vision.
In my opinion, if 100/90 is also not adequate for someone, he/she shouldn't be doing night driving at all.

The disturbance and the blinding effect that you create to others with a 130W high beam is far more in magnitude than the illumination improvement that you are creating for yourself.
Old 21st May 2017, 22:55   #10449
Senior - BHPian

Hey thak you for your inputs

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
For the Polo, I have used both 5000K and 4300K when I had the after market projector setup. Though the white light from 5000K looks nice, in terms of visibility 4300K is much better. So I would recommend 4300K.
Oh was not aware of this. Would this not also depend on the quality of bulbs and projectors used or this doesn't matter?

Quote:
Make sure to source a projector from reliable source like Morimoto or XenonPlanet. They will be a little expensive, but will be much more reliable than the cheaper ones. Also, I understand that XenonPlanet provides a better quality control.
Getting the entire set up done from XenonPlanet.

Quote:
Also, stick to 35W setup. Though a 55W setup would provide more Lumens output, the higher Lumens output does not increase visibility in the same proportion. I found the visibility to be better in the 35W 4300K setup than the 55W 5000K setup.
Would this again depend on colour temperature and quality of bulbs/projectors more than wattage?

Quote:
For the Jetta, I think changing the OE bulbs to OSRAM or Philips should definitely increase light output. However, the Jetta has fantastic projectors with superb light spread that I have never felt the need to change the bulbs yet.
Any idea what brand of bulbs come as OEM on the Jetta? I always thought they were Osram.
Old 22nd May 2017, 00:10   #10450
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Oh was not aware of this. Would this not also depend on the quality of bulbs and projectors used or this doesn't matter?

Would this again depend on colour temperature and quality of bulbs/projectors more than wattage?
Even with same brand of bulbs - and hence quality, visibility with 4300k will be better than 5000k / 6000k. Normal daylight is closer to 3000k.

35W HID's will also heat up less.
Old 22nd May 2017, 00:11   #10451
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post
Do not use it with the modern type headlights with clear-lens plastic glass and plastic reflectors, because in most cases it will cause gradual fading of the plastic glass and reflectors.
In some cases, it may even melt the reflectors depending upon the shape of the reflector.
Wow! Thanks Vinod.
I was more inclined towards keeping a 130/100 set parked with me and use it only when going on longish highway drives for a bit more illumination, while using the 100/90 otherwise. But I'll refrain from doing that now.

Quote:
I have used Philips Rally 100/90 H4 bulbs for several years in different cars that I owned, and I have found it to be very effective than most other options.
I did upgrade to 100/90 Rally's but the installer messed us the alignment. I've posted the details here.

Quote:
The disturbance and the blinding effect that you create to others with a 130W high beam is far more in magnitude than the illumination improvement that you are creating for yourself.
Agreed! It's the setup I believe many cabbies in Bangalore run. It's totally blinding - And they don't even dip when you flash at them!
Old 22nd May 2017, 08:32   #10452
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
To an extent, yes. Right now I have 4800K Philips HIDs on my Polo GT with OE Valeos projectors and OE ballasts. Though the warm white light is definitely good, I still feel that the 4300K HIDs in the Jetta are better in terms of visibility.

Quote:
If you get good quality bulbs/projectors and the right color temperature, you do not need 55W. 35W will provide all the illumination required. Generally 55W HIDs result in higher temperature that can damage the reflectors in the projector, reduce bulb life etc. That is why you will not find any 55W OEM bulbs or ballasts.

Quote:
Any idea what brand of bulbs come as OEM on the Jetta? I always thought they were Osram.
No idea about that.
Old 22nd May 2017, 15:44   #10453
BHPian

Quote:
I plan to replace my Stock Headlights and Fog Lamps of 2014 Grand i10. Overtime the bulbs have become much weaker, and not very effective.

I do know the headlight is H4, but I am unable to confirm the size of the Fog lamps. Would love if anybody could guide me through.

Also, has anyone had a good long term relation with the LED headlights, available on Aliexpress? They are cheaper compared to the Indian prices and seem reliable enough on paper too.
Most hyundai car fogs lamps are H27 bulbs. Also known as 880/881 sockets.

Avoid using the LEDs from aliexpress/alibaba. They arent reliable unless you have a seller feedback from a first hand user here. Also, in the event of failure, the warranty/replacement claim process is quite long. No immediate solution like a local/domestic purchase.

Avoid high wattage halogen bulbs. The output might be better but they produce a lot of heat. Most light assembly parts are not built to sustain this sort of heat( thanks to cost cutting from companies). The front cover and reflector tends to get hazy or yellow with prolonged use.

No HID without a projector setup. Totally unfocused throw and very unsafe for oncoming drivers/traffic.

As a light upgrade path, try the below sequence.
1. Upgrade to bulbs from known brands. osram/philips. This is cheapest and the gains are proportional.
2. HID projector setup from a known source. it will cost you anything from 14k to 20k. Gains are substantial owing to the more focused light. Stick to the more functional lower temperature range bulbs(4300k to 5000k).
Myth_sx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 16:03   #10454
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Every component in the setup will contribute to the final output.

4300k bulb with 35w ballast will have a yellow light with whitish tinge.
Same bulb with 55w ballast will be quite yellow. Probably run at 4000k . Slightly more lumens. This might lower the bulb lifespan by a third.(my setup)

4500k to 5000k is a nice balance. You get the best of visibility and bling factors. Personally, i like a 5000k bulb with a 55w ballast. Color temp should be 4700k.

Loosing a third of the bulb lifespan is not a big deal since most of us opting for aftermarkets will always want to try out new things. So by 2 years time, we will change the bulb color or upgrade to a better setup. Again, this is my personal opinion. You can always opt for the 35w setup.

Note: Read that you are opting for xenonplanet, so I guess you have already been tutored properly in this matter by their team. Good choice.

Happy (night) driving..

Mods: Please merge the two posts.

Last edited by Myth_sx : 22nd May 2017 at 16:04. Reason: back to back post merging.
Old 22nd May 2017, 16:28   #10455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth_sx View Post
Every component in the setup will contribute to the final output.

4300k bulb with 35w ballast will have a yellow light with whitish tinge.
Same bulb with 55w ballast will be quite yellow. Probably run at 4000k . Slightly more lumens. This might lower the bulb lifespan by a third.(my setup)

4500k to 5000k is a nice balance. You get the best of visibility and bling factors. Personally, i like a 5000k bulb with a 55w ballast. Color temp should be 4700k.

Note: Read that you are opting for xenonplanet, so I guess you have already been tutored properly in this matter by their team. Good choice.
Yes, the guys at XenonPlanet are pretty knowledgeable. They had mentioned the same that a 5000K bulb at 55W would give around 4000K-4300K. As mentioned before that the aim of investing in this upgrade was strictly for better performance in terms of visibility and with the above set up I guess I will achieve the same.

I was also wondering if there is anyway to improve the stock lighting in my 2015 VW Jetta Highline by probably changing to better bulbs?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks