Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2020, 11:26   #11731
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarnav_b View Post
As for the fog lamp housing, I haven't really measured them, so will also look into that and check. But aren't halogen lights better in a fog lamps rather than the white light of a HID ?
Get 4200K/4300K yellow temperature HID bulbs like I have in my Nexon for the same reason. Work like a charm. You are absolutely right, white light is not as useful as yellow for fog lights.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 16:15   #11732
Senior - BHPian

NEED REVIEW : Retro Rides, Delhi & Light Experts, Bangalore

Hi everyone,

So I am planning to get the retro fit projector headlights of my 2011 Polo 1.6 Petrol 're-done' from a professional installer.

I currently have a set up by Xenon Planet which I am not very happy with as they had messed up the install where I had to get the headlights opened thrice to have it rectified. Most of the rectifying was done by a local installer identified by me as the installer from Xenon Planet could not sort out the issue. This also led to a lot fogging of the headlamps in the monsoons. This incident happened around 02 years ago so I will not be going in detail on the issues faced.

Currently, I am not happy with the slanting cut off that I have and this is due to an issue with the projector. I am planning to scrap this entire kit and replace it with a set from Morimoto. I believe Retro Rides, Delhi and Light Experts, Bangalore are the authorised dealers in India for Morimoto?

My main purpose is to achieve a nice clean install, especially with the fitting of projectors in the headlights and proper sealing of the headlights. I already have a good and reliable electrician to get the wiring done.

Can anyone share their experience with projector installations at Retro Rides or Light Experts and especially with Morimoto Products?
Old 3rd May 2020, 16:52   #11733
BANNED

Re: NEED REVIEW : Retro Rides, Delhi & Light Experts, Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Can anyone share their experience with projector installations at Retro Rides or Light Experts and especially with Morimoto Products?
My Creta's eyes are running on Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III kit from November 2018 purchased from RetroRides, Delhi covering over 32,000 kms.

Have done the retrofit as a DIY (link here) and no issues at all whatsoever. Pretty confident and I do recommend Morimoto stuff over anything else. It is priced higher but that is the price for quality products with great reliability and track record.

Last edited by a4anurag : 3rd May 2020 at 16:54.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 19:19   #11734
Senior - BHPian

Re: NEED REVIEW : Retro Rides, Delhi & Light Experts, Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
My Creta's eyes are running on Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III kit from November 2018 purchased from RetroRides, Delhi covering over 32,000 kms.
Hi a4anurag,

That is a fantastic DIY and the outcome is very impressive. Even though I would love to, I unfortunately do not have the time and patience for a DIY project. I hence was wondering if I do send my headlights to Retro Rides, Delhi, would they be able to send the headlights back with a good and clean install?

I even have the option of sending the lights to TRS in the US and having them do the install. But yes, that is gonna cost a lot more money and take a lot more time. Not to mention possible damage during shipping.
Old 4th May 2020, 00:38   #11735

To start with, MS Vitara Brezza ZDi 2018 had very weak low beam output from its H7 halogen projectors. For a couple of months, I was entirely dependent on the Hella 350 LED light bars aligned down to add strength to the low beams. After trying my luck and getting disappointed with Philips H7 Xtreme Vision LED headlight bulbs, retrofitting them with Osram 4300K DH7 HID kit came as a blessing. It solved the low beam output from the factory projectors to a considerable extent and made highway drives safer. The 4300K colour temperature HID is really an all-weather light, as the 6000K ones often prove useless during rains. Initially, I was not getting a proper output and cutoff from these HIDs, but after a few rounds of alignments, the HIDs got a proper cutoff line and considerable output. The high-beams are healthy enough to churn out both power and throw.

The bumper-fitted DRL/Fog/Cornering LED lights are from Osram. They were fitted earlier in our Wagon-R and got shifted in the Vitara Brezza. Fog light output rated at 6000K is not that great, more so in rains, but the cornering light function helps and what helps the most are the DRLs. As the 2018 Vitara Brezza ZDi lacks any sort of DRL, the Osram ones do suffice and that too, with a discrete, OEM look. They also double up as hazard lights, throwing an amazingly bright streak of flashing lights with the hazards and also with lock/unlock via remote.

Upgraded the Reversing lights from incandescent T16 to Philips Xtreme Vision T16 LEDs. They are bright white and make reversing in the dark a breeze. License plate lights are now T10 LEDs from Philips. Rear looks premium!

Incandescent P21W brake light bulbs were not that bright and responsive enough. Replaced them with Philips 1157 Xtreme Vision 1157 Red Rogue LEDs. Why not 1156(P21W)? Well, I had these 1157 (P21/5W) installed in my Wagon R earlier. To accommodate 1157 in 1156 holders in Brezza, I soldered the two poles of each LED bulb at the rear and made adjustments by trimming the plastic holders with a Dremel, so that the 1157 sits in the 1156 holders and the soldered & bridged poles get the positive current to illuminate both the low and high lux (21 & 5 poles together in P21/5W bulb). Result was really worthy. The brake lights now are super responsive, energy efficient (down to almost 2.5 watts from the earlier 21 watts) and blazing red.

Next in the pipeline are changing the indicators to LEDs, which may entail adding resistor loads; adding LED puddle lamps to all 4 doors; and if resource favours, I may get the headlights retrofitted from a competent person with quad-projector setup with G5 EXL & G5 BRT in combination, powered by Philips Xtreme Vision D2S and Denso ballasts.

Attaching a few pictures of retrofitting done by me on the Vitara Brezza.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-brezzadrl.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-brezzafog.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-brezzafoghl.jpg

With additional Pictures

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-brezzahlcutoff.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-brezza1157led.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-brezzabrakelight2.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-brezzabrakelight3.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-brezzareverseparking.jpg

Last edited by BlackPearl : 4th May 2020 at 02:08. Reason: Merged back to back posts and rectified attachments. Thanks.
sumitmajumdarin is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 22:41   #11736
BHPian

Hi Bhpians!

Apologies for repeating the questions again. I have some questions on replacing the H7 bulbs on my Skoda Rapid with HID kits from reputed brands like Morimoto or FE retrofit. I have replaced stock bulbs in my other car to better bulbs like Lightbreaker or Xtreme vision, no significant improvements I can infer from those swaps.

1) What impact it would have in terms of warranty? I know the set up would be a plug and play, the question is more from an ASS point of view. How finicky Skoda ASS are? Will there be any mention of this modifications, which might put in place in terms of warranty claims?

2) Morimoto or FE or Osram Kits? Any reference and review would help me a lot deciding where to put in my hard earned money.

The best would be to replace the stock low beams to morimoto projectors and enable high beams as well. Since its fairly a new car with 4 years of warranty left, I would refrain my demons inside me from doing it
Old 8th May 2020, 21:48   #11737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitmajumdarin View Post
I was entirely dependent on the Hella 350 LED light bars aligned down to add strength to the low beams.
The light bar looks neatly integrated. Could you shed some light on the installation procedure/mounting the light bar? Are they mounted to bumper or attached with the number plate bracket? I was contemplating on getting the 470 for mine.
I am also considering the option of getting dual Bi-Xenon projector upgrade with something like D2S 5.0+Mini H1 to have a Quad Projector setup along with a FE Retrofit Projector Fogs.
Old 9th May 2020, 01:13   #11738

The Hella 350 light bar comes in 3 variants- pencil beam, flood beam and driving beam. The one I installed is a driving beam. Procured a Hella registration plate light mount from a retailer (sorry, don't have any photo of the mount) and bolted the mounting plate with the nuts provided for bolting the registration plate (now they are not bolted, rather are riveted) on bumper. The number plate was riveted on top of the mounting plate at the RTO office. The Hella LED light bar is mounted on top of the Hella mounting plate and adjusted to hit the high beam spot.

I hooked the positive wire of light bar with the stock fog light wiring positive and wired the negative through a switch from inside the cabin. This serves as a safety check wherein the light bar gets cut-off whenever the fog lights/parking lights are switched off, as one can forget to switch-off the bar which has no audible or visual alarms unlike the parking or headlight-on reminders while getting out & parking the vehicle.

In my opinion, just one 350mm light bar coupled with stock headlights is adequate for highways. The 470mm is definitely more powerful and you can surely go for it.

Regarding quad-projector setup, you can consider Morimoto/Profile/Osram Bi-LED projectors if you want a hassle-free, fit & forget experience. As opposed to Xenons, there is no warm-up time, and you also have the freedom to flash pass light without any harm to your ballasts. But the downside is that once any one projector unit goes wrong for whatsoever reason, you'll have to pry open the headlights. Also, the colour temperature from LED projectors don't go well with black asphalt roads, especially during rains.

To get a powerful bi-xenon quad-setup, you can consider installing four Morimoto D2S 5.0 or G5-BRT and EXL in combination, alongwith Osram nightbreaker unlimited laser D2S or Philips Xtreme Vision Gen2 D2S lamps with Denso or any good ballast to get the dream-output you want. Generally, 4200-4800 K colour temperature provides an all-weather visibility.

You can opt for Hella Nighthawk 90mm H7 halogen fog lights if you want a wide, floodlight setup with decent light output at a modest price. Projector fogs are also good in terms of performance, but are a bit costly than regular fog units.
sumitmajumdarin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2020, 09:14   #11739
BHPian

Quote:
Regarding quad-projector setup, you can consider Morimoto/Profile/Osram Bi-LED projectors if you want a hassle-free, fit & forget experience.
Spoke to Morimoto distributor the Bi-LED M 2.0 is around 45k for a pair. The profile one is about 20k a pair no idea about osram though.

Quote:
To get a powerful bi-xenon quad-setup, you can consider installing four Morimoto D2S 5.0 or G5-BRT and EXL in combination....Generally, 4200-4800 K colour temperature provides an all-weather visibility...
Morimoto distributor in Delhi said that they haven't recieved the stocks for the D2S and the FX-R from the last few months and due to COVID outbreak won't be able to for the next few either. They do have mini H1 in stock. So forced to consider alternatives like FE Retrofit projectors(Do have any recommendations other than unavailable ones listed above?). The main reason I preferred Bi-Xenon is it's 'easy-to-replace' nature for both bulb and ballast unlike a sealed Bi-LED and flexibility to have different color temperatures, 6500k for the main and 4300k for the fog. Doesn't work out? Simply swap out a 6500k bulb for a 4500/5500k one and call it a day.!

Quote:
You can opt for Hella Nighthawk 90mm H7 halogen fog lights if you want a wide...
Had not considered this route at all, thanks for providing the alternative. If I go for the Quad Setup on the main, I think this fogs will do just fine. But my thinking was to get the quad setup+fog projector installed and leave the 2 out of 4 projector in the headlight as 'dummy' and get a HID kit only if and when it feels necessary. Since it headlight is being opened anyway, getting in a couple of 'spare' projectors should be easy at this point rather than having to do the un-seal and resealing of the headlights all over again in the future.I highly doubt that one would require a hex setup over and above the quad combination of main+fogs.
Old 9th May 2020, 13:00   #11740
Senior - BHPian

My dad drives his 2016 Volkswagen Vento HL 1.2 TSI from Mumbai to Pune and back with a lot of driving in and around Mumbai (weekly estimate :- 490KM). Our car was manufactured in early January which means that it did not get the Projector Setup that the cars from March got. The lighting is quite weak and since the car's running is mostly on the highways he’d like a much brighter setup. Does anyone have any idea of what bulb can be fixed? preferably Philips (Halogens) with a decently white throw. Also, upon reading fellow BHPian Sharan1988’s modifications on his Vento, I realised that he had fit LEDs directly into the headlight module. Please also recommend LED bulbs that could possibly be fitted and offer a great throw with white lights.

Additionally, if anyone knows of any good accessories shop with deals with the products recommend them too.

Thanks
Akashdeep
Old 10th May 2020, 01:09   #11741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuisha110HP View Post
Hi Bhpians!

Apologies for repeating the questions again. I have some questions on replacing the H7 bulbs on my Skoda Rapid with HID kits from reputed brands like Morimoto or FE retrofit. I have replaced stock bulbs in my other car to better bulbs like Lightbreaker or Xtreme vision, no significant improvements I can infer from those swaps.

1) What impact it would have in terms of warranty? I know the set up would be a plug and play, the question is more from an ASS point of view. How finicky Skoda ASS are? Will there be any mention of this modifications, which might put in place in terms of warranty claims?

2) Morimoto or FE or Osram Kits? Any reference and review would help me a lot deciding where to put in my hard earned money.

The best would be to replace the stock low beams to morimoto projectors and enable high beams as well. Since its fairly a new car with 4 years of warranty left, I would refrain my demons inside me from doing it

I think as long as you're not splicing or tapping any wires, your warranty should be just fine. If they say otherwise, ask them to give it in writing.
Old 10th May 2020, 03:06   #11742

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash.1318 View Post
Morimoto distributor in Delhi said that they haven't recieved the stocks for the D2S and the FX-R from the last few months and due to COVID outbreak won't be able to for the next few either. They do have mini H1 in stock. So forced to consider alternatives like FE Retrofit projectors(Do have any recommendations other than unavailable ones listed above?). The main reason I preferred Bi-Xenon is it's 'easy-to-replace' nature for both bulb and ballast unlike a sealed Bi-LED and flexibility to have different color temperatures, 6500k for the main and 4300k for the fog. Doesn't work out? Simply swap out a 6500k bulb for a 4500/5500k one and call it a day.!
FE Retrofit G5 BRT projector kits are available, as seen on their website. Flexibility of bi-xenon retrofits give them an edge over LED counterparts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash.1318 View Post
Had not considered this route at all, thanks for providing the alternative. If I go for the Quad Setup on the main, I think this fogs will do just fine. But my thinking was to get the quad setup+fog projector installed and leave the 2 out of 4 projector in the headlight as 'dummy' and get a HID kit only if and when it feels necessary. Since it headlight is being opened anyway, getting in a couple of 'spare' projectors should be easy at this point rather than having to do the un-seal and resealing of the headlights all over again in the future.I highly doubt that one would require a hex setup over and above the quad combination of main+fogs.
You can go for quad-projector setup with FE-Retrofit G5 BRT kits (all 4 projectors working) and the Hella Knighthawk H7 halogen fogs. Within city limits, you can go with the fogs on and only power the projectors when needed. When all 4 projectors glow, I don't think you will need more light from the fogs. Output and throw from 4 G5 BRT projectors can manage to illuminate the darkest of roads themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
My dad drives his 2016 Volkswagen Vento HL 1.2 TSI from Mumbai to Pune and back with a lot of driving in and around Mumbai (weekly estimate :- 490KM). Our car was manufactured in early January which means that it did not get the Projector Setup that the cars from March got. The lighting is quite weak and since the car's running is mostly on the highways he’d like a much brighter setup. Does anyone have any idea of what bulb can be fixed? preferably Philips (Halogens) with a decently white throw. Also, upon reading fellow BHPian Sharan1988’s modifications on his Vento, I realised that he had fit LEDs directly into the headlight module. Please also recommend LED bulbs that could possibly be fitted and offer a great throw with white lights.

Additionally, if anyone knows of any good accessories shop with deals with the products recommend them too.

Thanks
Akashdeep
Hi Akashdeep.
Upgrading to a set of better performing halogen bulbs can increase the light output to a limited extent only, and with higher kelvin ratings, the visibility may get reduced than the stock ones, especially during the rains.

One thing you can easily do without voiding warranty is that you can purchase an extra set of VW headlight housing that house the projector setups (if you are sure that they provide better output than the reflector ones you currently have, and provided the mounts and couplers match) and get better output.

Alternatively, you may purchase an extra set of headlight housing, similar to the ones installed presently in your car, reach a professional retro-fitter and get a set of bi-xenon projectors installed. If any warranty issues crop up, you can swap the current headlight housings with the retro-fitted ones and there will be minimum chances of your warranty claims getting challenged. For this to happen, you have to ensure that there is no splicing or cutting of wires during the upgrade.

There are several options in the market. G5 BRT or Morimoto D2S bi-xenon projectors with decent xenon set-up offer good light output and are miles apart regarding light output from halogen bulbs. A kelvin rating between 4200 and 4800 gives good visibility irrespective of varying weather conditions. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 29th May 2020 at 00:50. Reason: Merged. Please use the edit / multiquote functionality instead of back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread.
Old 27th May 2020, 10:57   #11743
BHPian

Quote:
Procured a Hella registration plate light mount from a retailer (sorry, don't have any photo of the mount) and bolted the mounting plate with the nuts provided for bolting the registration plate (now they are not bolted, rather are riveted) on bumper.
Hey, could you help me out with the details/part number of the registration plate mount? Spoke to a few retailers here in Bangalore and none of them had any clue about this part. Found no reference for the same on their website either(https://www.shop4hella.com). Everyone suggested mounting it below the plate between the grills which I am not really sure about.
Old 28th May 2020, 15:50   #11744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
So its been a while since i did a DIY on installing Bi Led projectors and i am quite satisfied with their performance till now. Here are a few output pics and a driving video taken from my dashcam. This setup costed me around 15k due to my newbie mistakes although it could have been 14k. If anyone needs help in a DIY feel free to PM me. I'l ensure my mistakes aren't repeated.
Hi Mr. Nobody,

I had no idea there is already a guide on Bi-LED on this forum. I was searching for panamera shroud and came across your post. Thank god! I suggest you put a separate thread about your Bi-LED DIY.

As I am newbie, I can't PM you i think.

I am in same situation as yours. I am also trying to install Bi-LED with panamera shroud in my swift Dzire. I did a test run in a scrap headlight and shrouds and everything else fits fine.

Three things if you can please answer.

1) How did you wire them to your H4 headlight socket? Seller told me that I need to add diode in the circuit. But something tells me there should be another way.

2) How did you route your shroud wires? As mine is threaded shaft, only way to pull out shroud wires is through parking light hole. But in that case how do I seal the holes?

3) Anything else you may want to warn me about before going for installation. I am going to wait till you give me instructions.
Old 29th May 2020, 18:18   #11745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbhavesh View Post
Hi Mr. Nobody,

I had no idea there is already a guide on Bi-LED on this forum. I was searching for panamera shroud and came across your post. Thank god! I suggest you put a separate thread about your Bi-LED DIY.

As I am newbie, I can't PM you i think.

I am in same situation as yours. I am also trying to install Bi-LED with panamera shroud in my swift Dzire. I did a test run in a scrap headlight and shrouds and everything else fits fine.

Three things if you can please answer.
Although functionally mine perform great, its not exactly perfect looking as i cut the shrouds a bit bad so doesn't look that amazing to create a separate thread. Plus i am too lazy now to open headlights and fix them again on my own.

1. I used a h4 to bixenon splitter wire that looks like this. This is very important as you need a relay to control the high low. On standard H4 socket the point from which the +current comes changes when you change the high/low. On a Projector you need the current to low beam to be constant and on Hi, a further trigger of + to the hi/lo motor. Available on Aliexpress.
Name:  Screenshot_1.png
Views: 1947
Size:  142.8 KB

2. Shroud wires can be routed through the position lamp hole. There is no need to seal that and mine is left unsealed. The outer cap is airtight and keeps moisture away and i am yet to even see a drop of condensation. The Hyundai lights also have a inbuilt packet of moisture absorber in the headlight as well.

3. Just have a few iso propyl alcohol wipes/spray handy to wipe away any fingerprint marks. Align the levels as much as you can before closing the lights. Close the headlights in a area with low moisture in air. If your projector comes with a plastic packing, remove that right at the very end to avoid dust and marks being visible.

Btw which LED projector have you purchased?

Last edited by Mr. Nobody : 29th May 2020 at 18:22.
Mr. Nobody is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks