Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2020, 15:58   #11671
Senior - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Could someone tell what is the Headlight Bulb Configuration on the Skoda Laura?
Old 5th February 2020, 19:06   #11672
BHPian

Re: Pre-Facelift Ecosport Lighting Upgrade - Lower Cost - Higher Benefit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surya-TJet View Post
Hi Guys,

I had purchased an Ecosport Titanium Diesel in March 2017. I was initially aware of the sub-par illumination of the Ecosport headlight.
Instead of going through all the trouble which resulted in you having to write such a big post of all the mischief you did with your headlights and with the kind of monies you put in, I think you would have been much better off by simply getting a pair of Phillips Ultinon LED bulbs, did a much simpler fitment and got a great output performance in the bargain.

I don't think you heard about them? There are a lot of posts with all happy users not so many posts back. They're so much less headache. I think they are about 10k for a pair. Another option was a bixenon LED projector setup(if you wanted that only) with excellent results. Just a couple of posts back one guy did it on his Verna.
pixantz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 20:48   #11673
BHPian

Re: Pre-Facelift Ecosport Lighting Upgrade - Lower Cost - Higher Benefit

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Instead of going through all the trouble which resulted in you having to write such a big post of all the mischief you did with your headlights and with the kind of monies you put in, I think you would have been much better off by simply getting a pair of Phillips Ultinon LED bulbs, did a much simpler fitment and got a great output performance in the bargain.

I don't think you heard about them? There are a lot of posts with all happy users not so many posts back. They're so much less headache. I think they are about 10k for a pair. Another option was a bixenon LED projector setup(if you wanted that only) with excellent results. Just a couple of posts back one guy did it on his Verna.
Dear Pixantz, Thanks for your insights. I never went through any "trouble". It was a learning curve for me. And i'm glad I got that opportunity to experience such a thing. It has now enabled me to help my friends, relatives, colleagues and neighbours to select their new car better by making them go for a night drive in each of their choice of cars before a new car purchase. It has also helped me learn more about the advancements in lighting technologies including the laser headlight retro-fitment modules for all cars.

I was well aware of the Philips LEDs even at the time of my Chinese CSP LED lights purchase. I decided not to plonk a lot of dough into something without experiencing it all real life conditions. And I am glad I did that. Reason being; the aforementioned LEDs are absolutely useless in rains / fog / twilight / newly paved unmarked roads.

Since I encounter a lot of these in real life; I decided to experiment with a low cost option before taking the plunge with something more expensive. Glad that I dodged that expensive bullet.

Due to this; I started learning more about colour temperature of lighting and its' effects on the visibility of roads in different weather conditions. That is when I stuck to my guns clearly that I would not venture beyond 4300k as it was starting to look more whitish and therefore I decided not to get lost out to the laws of physics.

And, with regards to your Bi-LED projectors; I am aware of those as well. I studied in detail about these a lot and found that the generic Bi-LED projectors with a fan cannot be used in my ecosport; especially in the fog lamp area as it is exposed to the elements. And; once the cooling fan gets damaged due to dust / dirt / water and stops working; its a matter of few hours before the LEDs die out on me. And once they die out; I will have to replace the entire assembly again.

There is another type of Bi-LED projector without a fan (passive heat sink with thermal paste) - the drawback again here is that once the thermal paste wears out; the LEDs will die out. And since it is a "sealed" waterproof unit; if I open it up for re-applying the thermal paste; I will be forced to live with a fogged up projector (which is again pretty useless).

Since I did not want to spend a fortune every now and then; I decided to stick to the tried and tested HID kits with metallic bi-xenon projectors. And I penned down my experiences to help anyone who might be willing to try out something on their car once the warranty expires.

P.S - Since I did not mention the " kind of monies put down" anywhere; let me clarify that for you as well. I have not lost more than Rs.2000 in total in the midst of all these trials as I always managed to sell off my existing hardware to someone who found use in it. And, for such an interesting learning curve in the past 2 years; I feel that Rs.2000 is a fair amount.

Cheers & Safe Driving
Surya-TJet is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 09:57   #11674
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I had previously posted what I had done for lighting improvement on my pre-facelift 2017 Ecosport.

Now, I am sharing the steps on what I have done in the new Facelifted Ecosport for improving the spread of low beam and throw and coverage of the high beam using the stock bulbs. This was done on my friend’s vehicle; then my cousin’s vehicle and recently on one of the members in the ford Ecosport whatsapp group. So, I can say with certainty that this is easily do-able with a little bit of care and attention to detail in a dark road.

This way, the new car buyers can have optimal light output even with the stock headlamp setup without going for higher wattage bulbs, LEDs or HIDs.

This procedure is same across all the vehicle variants right from Ambiente to Titanium+. Am not sure of how it is in the “S” variant. If the tabs for alignment are available in same position, then the same procedure should be applicable to those variants as well.

This procedure is to be done on your own risk. If you are unsure how to get this done; then seek the help of a professional. Always keep a track of the steps you have completed on each alignment tab (no. of turns on each tab, with direction of rotation). This way, you can always revert back to OE settings should you prefer in the future or if you need to realign a new headlamp fitted in future (after damage replacements, if any).

Some Light Output shots before & after alignment (not all in the same location; but from the same car). This car is running with stock bulbs on all lamps. No HID / LED kits.

Except for the fist photo (Stock low beam); all photos are taken keeping headlamp leveler at ZERO.

Stock Low Beam - Head lamp leveler kept at 2 due to mistake - don't have another photo of this view with me. My Bad.
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-stock-low-beam.jpg

Stock High Beam
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-stock-high-beam.jpg

Dark Road – Low Beam
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-dark-road-low-beam.jpg

Dark Road – High Beam
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-dark-road-high-beam.jpg

Semi Lit Street – Low Beam
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-semi-lit-street-low-beam.jpg

Semi Lit Street – High Beam
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-semi-lit-street-high-beam.jpg

Lit Road – Low Beam
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-lit-road-low-beam.jpg

Lit Road – High Beam
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-lit-road-high-beam.jpg

Another small hack for the new Ecosport - The fog lamps given by the company are weak 35w H8 bulbs. This can be replaced with H11 55w bulbs very easily. The marginal current draw increase will be handled by the two separate 20A headlamp fuse on each side without any issue.

Simply buy a H11 bulb and trim the wider tab of the H11 bulb to match the size of the H8 bulb. The connector remains the same for both; so no issues there.
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-h8-vs.-h11.jpeg

Hope this guide is useful for all facelift Ecosport owners.

Cheers & Safe Driving.

File I created for procedure of the realignment
[ATTACH=New Ecosport Headlamp Alignment Procedure - Team BHP.pdf]1965999[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-dark-road-only-fog-lamp.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf New Ecosport Headlamp Alignment Procedure - Team BHP.pdf (1.90 MB, 1651 views)

Last edited by Surya-TJet : 6th February 2020 at 10:13.
Surya-TJet is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 15:30   #11675
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I had previously posted what I had done for lighting improvement on my pre-facelift 2017 Ecosport.
The results are amazing for stock setup. I wish to do something similar with my pre-facelift ecosport.

Last edited by Fordlover88 : 6th February 2020 at 15:36.
Old 6th February 2020, 16:21   #11676
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Prakritij.

Hope this helps.

Cheers & Safe Driving.
Hi Surya-TJet,
Thank you for the suggestions. Will see what I can do to improve the lighting based on your suggestions.
Also, can you please guide me how to add the additional 20A fuse for 55w bulbs you mentioned?

Last edited by Prakritij : 6th February 2020 at 16:23.
Old 10th February 2020, 13:56   #11677
BHPian

I am planning to fit auxiliary lights in my Swift zxi+ 2019 model. But I have one problem. My parking space has three inches in front and two inches space behind the car. So I want some suggestions for mounting process for the auxiliary lights so that the overall length of the car does not increase. Experts please help.
Old 10th February 2020, 18:31   #11678
BHPian

Guys.. some help here..

I recently acquired an old gen Civic. Wanted to upgrade the headlamps. As of now, put in 4 LED bulbs and have been somewhat satisfied.
The car does not have fog lamp setup, is it still possible to get the Bi-xenon fog setup for the car? if so , any trusted installers to get it done in Delhi?
Old 14th February 2020, 16:04   #11679
BHPian

I am planning to change the stock low beam headlights of my EcoSport facelift model that has projector setup to better ones without increasing the wattage/power. I am satisfied with the stock high beam output. So I was going through the manual for specifications and it shows this.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-ecosport-bulb-spec.png

As you can see, high beam spec is the same but low beam is not. What is the difference between low/medium/high series mentioned in the manual and what should I opt for?
Old 14th February 2020, 16:42   #11680
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawhat View Post
As you can see, high beam spec is the same but the low beam is not. What is the difference between low/medium/high series mentioned in the manual and what should I opt for?
I think it is for the various variants that the EcoSport has - Trend/Titanium/Titanium+ etc, which I think have different headlamp setups which have different bulbs in their respective low beam sockets.

Which variant do you have?
Old 14th February 2020, 17:09   #11681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Which variant do you have?
Mine is a Titanium+ which has H18 bulbs. But since aftermarket bulbs of this socket type are not available in all models, I was thinking of installing H7 bulbs. Is it OK to do it (from warranty and safety perspective)?

I am not planning any upgrades (HID or higher watt bulbs). Just like for like replacement which produces brighter output.

Last edited by strawhat : 14th February 2020 at 17:11.
Old 14th February 2020, 19:21   #11682
BANNED

Quote:
Mine is a Titanium+ which has H18 bulbs. But since aftermarket bulbs of this socket type are not available in all models, I was thinking of installing H7 bulbs. Is it OK to do it (from warranty and safety perspective)?
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20190107_15h48_14.png

I think you'll have to do some modification to fit the bulb. Check the link.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2020, 10:41   #11683
BHPian

Quote:

I am not planning any upgrades (HID or higher watt bulbs). Just like for like replacement which produces brighter output.
Yes T+ had H18 bulbs. H18 is an upgraded H7 and runs at 65w, while H7 at 55w.

There is no safety or compatibility concerns of switching from H18 to better H7 bulbs.

The gains made by Osram/Philips would mostly be nullified by the 18% power bump.

You will not find much of a difference on the road.

I have switched my low beam projectors to 35W H7 HID and they are so much better than the stock halogens.

It has been 2 years since the change and everything is working fine.
suku_patel_22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2020, 11:13   #11684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suku_patel_22 View Post
The gains made by Osram/Philips would mostly be nullified by the 18% power bump.

You will not find much of a difference on the road.
Was also having the same doubt. But the advertised additional brightness and wider spread of beam prompted me to consider the change. I have ordered a Philips XtremeVision Plus set. I am not pinning too many hopes, lets see how that goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suku_patel_22 View Post
I have switched my low beam projectors to 35W H7 HID and they are so much better than the stock halogens.
I did check your posts few pages back. But the main concern I have is with regards to warranty. What I could make out from various reviews also is that HID kits have been a hit and miss. This project probably would come back in my mind in the future again. May be by then LED technology would have made further advancements. More reliable plug-and-play LED lights could be available.

Last edited by strawhat : 15th February 2020 at 11:15.
Old 1st March 2020, 21:57   #11685
BHPian

Any recommendations for a good HB3 pair of bulbs ? I am looking to change the present set of bulbs on my Creta.

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks