Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2018, 19:28   #10981
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Please find the list of authorised distributors for Phillips bulbs in Bangalore.
I actually started navigating on Philips India Automotive lighting and then Store locator this noon and all it was throwing up was list of Home appliances shops even when the URL said this:

https://www.philips.co.in/c-m-au/car.../store-locator

After this I checked with my Workshop folks who suggested me Konark and that shop guy confirmed the availability.

Thanks for the details on the sellers, will be helpful in future.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2018, 23:54   #10982
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Please find the list of authorised distributors for Phillips bulbs in Bangalore.
Can you find a similar list of distributors in Ranchi? It will be very helpful.

Regards,
Shashi
Old 21st April 2018, 10:02   #10983
BHPian

Hi all,
Will it cause any harm to wiring/battery if I install twin headlights setup instead of a single one? This is for my RE Thunderbird TS. It currently has stock bulb and 7 inch housing. Thinking about replacing with smaller twin headlight setup like Mahindra Mojo.
Old 21st April 2018, 16:12   #10984
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Acquired a pre-owned 2014 HL(AT) Jetta. However the through and brightness of Jetta's OEM project headlight is not good enough for a drive on highways.

May be I am spoiled with custom made projector headlights in my Vento.
Jetta's OEM projector headlights are not a match for FX-R 3.0 with OSRAM night breakers.

Any suggestion on upgrading the HID bulbs, certainly not looking for replacement of headlight assembly. Also is it DIY or do I have to visit workshop?
Old 21st April 2018, 18:28   #10985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
Acquired a pre-owned 2014 HL(AT) Jetta. However the through and brightness of Jetta's OEM project headlight is not good enough for a drive on highways.

Jetta's OEM projector headlights are not a match for FX-R 3.0 with OSRAM night breakers.

Any suggestion on upgrading the HID bulbs, certainly not looking for replacement of headlight assembly. Also is it DIY or do I have to visit workshop?
I wouldn't recommend a DIY. Most bulb units are hard to reach and require headlight removal from the housing. You can go in for the Philips HID kit which suits your bulb type
devilwearsprada is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2018, 21:00   #10986
BHPian

I installed a pair of H4 Leds from. Mictuning in my swift today. I did not install a relay. Unsure if a relay is needed. https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-Ext...Bh4&th=1&psc=1. Issue I faced was that I was unable to seat the rubber cover to prevent water entering the assembly. I will try again after removing the head light assembly.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-1524324493116.jpg  

Old 21st April 2018, 23:39   #10987
BANNED

Quote:
DIY is possible but not easy to be done. One needs to open the headlight casing to swap the OEM projector unit for a HID compatible unit. Morimoto has plenty options for HID.

BHPian Sudeepg has done the DIY on his S-Cross. Link to the DIY thread (DIY: S-Cross Headlight Upgrade to Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III Bi-Xenons)
Old 21st April 2018, 23:59   #10988
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One needs to open the headlight casing to swap the OEM projector unit for a HID compatible unit. Morimoto has plenty options for HID.

BHPian Sudeepg has done the DIY on his S-Cross.
OP is looking for HID bulbs upgrade and not projector retrofit. Simply changing the HID bulbs would not require opening up of headlight assembly.

Quote:
What is the bulb type? You can look for better options in Osram or Philips. Another option is upgrading the ballasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwearsprada View Post
I wouldn't recommend a DIY. Most bulb units are hard to reach and require headlight removal from the housing. You can go in for the Philips HID kit which suits your bulb type
+1

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2018, 00:09   #10989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwearsprada View Post

Thanks, I do agree with you, it is very difficult to access the bulbs in Jetta. Related to Philips HID kit, do we need a kit, or HID bulb itself serve the purpose. The Jetta has OEM projectors
manjubp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2018, 01:30   #10990
BHPian

Quote:

Since your car already has a bi-xenon setup in place, upgrading to a higher wattage HID kit from a reputed company like Morimoto or Osram might just do the job.
However, since it’s a VAG machine, I highly doubt that something like that will be plug n’ play & might throw up errors, unless the wattage is exactly same as OEM and the aftermarket kit is CAN-bus compatibile.
AShubrah is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2018, 09:56   #10991
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I feel its more to do with the age of the car or bulbs. First thing to check is if the headlight outer lens is clear of dust, fading and such. If that is clear and no issues are found then it is time to tackle the bulbs. Over time, the gas pressure inside the Xenon bulb weakens and though the bulb might be working, its intensity would have taken a hit. I have seen this problem in many cars in Germany. Since these will be OEM bulbs which will be of the type D1S, D2S or so you can easily find replacement bulbs online from reputed manufacturers. That is the easiest and cleanest way to experience some change.

If you can fetch the right bulbs and follow some videos on YouTube, you can easily change the bulbs. However the rear side of the headlights might be difficult to access, it might require removal of the headlight assembly or the bumper. Hence depending upon your time and convenience you will have to decide.
audioholic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2018, 10:18   #10992
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Jetta has OEM projectors
The HID bulbs should be D3S type, 35W. Do confirm it from user manual.

Upgrade Options :

1. Replace OE hid bulbs with Osram CBI HID bulbs.
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bu...66340-cbi.html

2. D3S HID system is compact, bulbs are integrated with ballast. You can source after market 55W external ballast. But I am not sure if OE projector could handle the additional heat generated by 55W ballast.

3. Open up the headlights, retrofit a different projector. Requires time, skill and expensive.

4. OE projectors always come with fresnel lens. You can try swapping it with clear lens. It will require opening up of headlights again.
Dr.Naren is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2018, 14:20   #10993
BHPian

I own 2012 Fluidic Verna. From past few months, one of the headlight has started to get moisture deposit on its glass. Got the it checked from Hyundai center but they could repair it.

I am planning to get it changed to new one. Now, what I wanted to know was that can I get it changed to the headlights that come with new Verna? Probably the one that is with DRL.
Old 22nd April 2018, 16:03   #10994
BHPian

Ordered Chylay LED Bulbs from Aliexpress, H1 and H7.

The bulbs were delivered in 20 days, but majorly disappointing since the fitment for the ford is very tough, the throw is everywhere so the search still goes on for good set of VFM LED Bulbs.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-3312d12c9643445fac01a3e43d7cf44c.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-6004817dbc8447b6a8745a2452034409-1.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20d3bf00aae94d7d8a88f42dbb61599f.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-bc016347fc34415294faae030b4e4384.jpg
Old 22nd April 2018, 17:11   #10995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AShubrah View Post
Since your car already has a bi-xenon setup in place, upgrading to a higher wattage HID kit from a reputed company like Morimoto or Osram might just do the job.
However, since it’s a VAG machine, I highly doubt that something like that will be plug n’ play & might throw up errors, unless the wattage is exactly same as OEM and the aftermarket kit is CAN-bus compatibile.
I am looking for only HID bulb replacement. In VW Jetta, HID Kit retro-fit is royal pain, the retro-fit of HID Kit is ruled out. I have done HID Kit retrofit in my Vento with Marimoto FX-R 3.0, simply the best projectors. Even today it is working flawlessly and amazing to drive in night and even with rain.
Here is the link http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...ml#post4135416

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I feel its more to do with the age of the car or bulbs. First thing to check is if the headlight outer lens is clear of dust, fading and such. If that is clear and no issues are found then it is time to tackle the bulbs. Over time, the gas pressure inside the Xenon bulb weakens and though the bulb might be working, its intensity would have taken a hit. I have seen this problem in many cars in Germany. Since these will be OEM bulbs which will be of the type D1S, D2S or so you can easily find replacement bulbs online from reputed manufacturers. That is the easiest and cleanest way to experience some change.

If you can fetch the right bulbs and follow some videos on YouTube, you can easily change the bulbs. However the rear side of the headlights might be difficult to access, it might require removal of the headlight assembly or the bumper. Hence depending upon your time and convenience you will have to decide.
Car is just 3 yrs Old, run for ~38K kms. Well maintained, and headlight assembly is not aged. Jetta manual says, it requires expertise to change the HID bulb and nothing more!!!. I know it is D3S type. But I have not come across any video with some one replacing good HID bulb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
The HID bulbs should be D3S type, 35W. Do confirm it from user manual.

Upgrade Options :

1. Replace OE hid bulbs with Osram CBI HID bulbs.
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bu...66340-cbi.html

2. D3S HID system is compact, bulbs are integrated with ballast. You can source after market 55W external ballast. But I am not sure if OE projector could handle the additional heat generated by 55W ballast.

3. Open up the headlights, retrofit a different projector. Requires time, skill and expensive.

4. OE projectors always come with fresnel lens. You can try swapping it with clear lens. It will require opening up of headlights again.
Thanks Naren. You are right it is D3S. I would prefer to stick with OEM rating, as it has speed adaptive lighting. Once again opening headlight is not an option, as I want to maintain in stock setup.

Last edited by manjubp : 22nd April 2018 at 17:12.
manjubp is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed