Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2018, 08:32   #10891
Senior - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by AShubrah View Post
I am finally going the HID way for the high beams on my Innova Crysta 2.4 Z...
It's always good to install an HID kit with relays, as the initial higher current drawn could result in CAN errors or a blown fuse - this need not happen in all vehicles, but it's a possibility.
Unless the HID kits are the instant-on type, retrofitting HIDs into high beams is not a good idea IMO. HIDs take a good 5 seconds+ to attain usable brightness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post
... retro-fitting LEDs in halogen reflectors is more of a hit-or-miss thing.
And there is no escaping from the light-scatter and glare problem, even in the best retro-fitted LEDs in halogen reflectors...
You are completely right. Retrofitting anything into a reflector headlamp is a hit-or-miss - LEDs, LEDs looking like halogen bulbs (the ones which have multiple LEDs stuck around a cylindrical stalk), HIDs.
Quote:
...You will wonder where did all that superb brightness go, once you reach the highway.
Atleast that is what I felt from my experience.
Agree with you 100%. Often, people buy retrofit kits online after seeing the images of the lamps in action. These images could be of just the beam pattern on a wall, or exaggerated. Some people keep unrealistic expectations and end up disappointed.

Last edited by silversteed : 5th February 2018 at 08:39.
silversteed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th February 2018, 08:47   #10892
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AShubrah View Post
I am finally going the HID way for the high beams on my Innova Crysta 2.4 Z, as I find them lacking & not sufficient enough on unlit highways.
I have already tried replacing the bulb to the Osram NBU, but I was still not satisfied with the light output.
It’d be wonderful if the gurus could answer a few questions that I have.

• Do I need a relay harness while installing a 35W HID kit? If so, what are the advantages of installing one?
• Will a 35W kit be enough, or should I look for 55W alternatives?
• I’ve never installed an HB3 HID kit before, so I wanted to know if this is the right method to install one?
• Since all the other lights on the car are 6000K LED ones, I really want to go for the same colour temperature. How much of a percentage decrease in light output am I looking at when I choose 6000K over 4300K?
• Since HIDs take a while to get to their full brightness after pulling the headlight stalk, will any LED bulb be as bright as the HIDs?

All suggestions & tips are most welcome, BHPians.
It is wise to add a relay kit like as mentioned by silversteed because its better to separate the aftermarket high current stuff into a separate fused wiring with relay, in most cases.

In the case of Crysta I think you can try the method shown in the link you posted because 1) the headlamps are not connected to canbus and 2) each high beams get separate fuse in the fusebox. So if the initial high draw of HID does not blow the stock fuse you will be good and if it does then add a relay kit with its own fuse.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2018, 13:52   #10893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Nothing is available for D8S. D5S and D8S are very compact systems which run on 25W. S-Cross has D5S bulbs and Morimoto has got plug and play 35W D5S bulbs. It's better to wait and watch, hope they get even for D8S.
Thanks. I did find these bulbs on Aliexpress:

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...chText=d8s+35w

But cannot really say how useful they would be. OEM quality is OEM quality. Plus i have no idea where the ballasts is in the headlight assemblies (havent opened/checked.) Hence yes. probably a better idea to wait for now. But i will need to change them bulbs though.
Old 5th February 2018, 14:07   #10894
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturaldisaster View Post
Plus i have no idea where the ballasts is in the headlight assemblies (havent opened/checked.)
Ballasts are placed under the headlight. Most of the OE ballasts are not waterproof, hence placed under or inside headlight assembly.

Osram D8S setup in Baleno
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20180205_135809.jpg
Source :
https://bangalore.quikr.com/Osram-D8...AdIdZ301212110
Dr.Naren is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2018, 14:41   #10895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Ballasts are placed under the headlight. Most of the OE ballasts are not waterproof, hence placed under or inside headlight assembly.

Osram D8S setup in Baleno
Attachment 1724576
Source :
https://bangalore.quikr.com/Osram-D8...AdIdZ301212110
Yes. Had seen that in some videos on youtube. I just hope that it is not inside the headlight in case of the Baleno.
Old 5th February 2018, 14:47   #10896
BHPian

Hello Gurus, Experts and Experienced Follks,

Need some help and suggestions, I am planning to install auxiliary lamps for my Himalayan (thought this would be the best place to ask).
And am totally confused on what is going to be the best without draining the battery or hurting the alternator (open for cut-outs and relays)

The Himalayan has a 12V 8AH battery, the stock bulbs are H4 12V 60/55W.

I am a bit wary of using unknown Chinese LEDs, and would actually love to install a pair of Hella Comet 500 (55W) but I guess that would just blow up stuff.

I am looking at a pair of lamps - one spot and one flood and am currently totally confused on what would be the best.

Any guidance suggestions and all help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Trojan
Old 5th February 2018, 15:25   #10897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
It's always good to install an HID kit with relays, as the initial higher current drawn could result in CAN errors or a blown fuse - this need not happen in all vehicles, but it's a possibility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
It is wise to add a relay kit like as mentioned by silversteed because its better to separate the aftermarket high current stuff into a separate fused wiring with relay, in most cases.

In the case of Crysta I think you can try the method shown in the link you posted because 1) the headlamps are not connected to canbus and 2) each high beams get separate fuse in the fusebox. So if the initial high draw of HID does not blow the stock fuse you will be good and if it does then add a relay kit with its own fuse.
I don’t want to take a chance of blowing any fuses while I’m on the highway, so I’ll prefer installing a relay kit to ensure peace of mind.
Are there any relay kits available from reputed companies like Philips or Hella for the HB3 type bulb specifically, because I really want everything to be plug n’ play & avoid wire cutting/splicing completely.

Quote:
Unless the HID kits are the instant-on type, retrofitting HIDs into high beams is not a good idea IMO.
AFAIK, no company that I know of makes an instant-on HID kit.
Please correct me if I’m wrong, as I’d love to have something of that sort on my vehicle.
Old 5th February 2018, 16:08   #10898
BHPian

What are the differences between these two HID kits. I'm planning on using these in my endeavour for high beam.
Which do you guys suggest and is there a better option in HID or something other than HID?
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20180205_160601.png  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20180205_160539.png  

Old 5th February 2018, 18:53   #10899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
Hello Gurus, Experts and Experienced Follks,

Need some help and suggestions, I am planning to install auxiliary lamps for my Himalayan (thought this would be the best place to ask).
And am totally confused on what is going to be the best without draining the battery or hurting the alternator (open for cut-outs and relays)

I am a bit wary of using unknown Chinese LEDs, and would actually love to install a pair of Hella Comet 500 (55W) but I guess that would just blow up stuff.
I have used a pair of Chines LEDs like this one, and they worked good for 2 years before one of them stopped working. They dont cost much and hence you can easily replace them if you dont like them.

I wired them from the pilot lamp and controlled via a separate switch, so that they will come only when headlights are ON but they can be operated with out the need of main headlight bulb saving battery. Focus for these lights were set to 20-30 meter ahead of the bike ( typical low beam area) so that I have a very good view of what is right in front of me. I used these lights only on most of the slow speed running.

Please dont install Hella 500FFs, that will be an overkill.

Edit: Saw these lights functioning in the cold weather of Leh/Ladak as well.
If you are looking for serious night rides/offroading, then invest on better ones available at Aliexpress. But given the small capacity of the battery, a LED is your best bet.

Last edited by arjithin : 5th February 2018 at 18:56.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2018, 10:41   #10900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post

I am looking at a pair of lamps - one spot and one flood and am currently totally confused on what would be the best.
n
I have a pair of Chinese LED aux lamps on my Bullet. They are really bright and actually do make a difference to visibility during challenging lighting situations. I did my fitting through the main wiring itself and added a switch for operation. They can turn on irrespective of the pilot or head lamps. Only thing is that so that i did not have to cut any wiring, pulled positive from the headlight connector. Hence load is on the headlight section of the wiring harness (if i did make any cuts, extra load on headlight circuit would be zero.)

The Electra has a 35w headlight and i have replaced it with a 20w LED, + 40w (each aux 20w) = 60w load. I always switch off the aux lamps at stop lights or while pausing and haven't noticed any issue yet. You may try this method but so consider that the Himalayan's electronics are more complex than the Bullets and electrical noise may bother other equipment.
naturaldisaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2018, 11:05   #10901
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmac.terroris View Post
What are the differences between these two HID kits. I'm planning on using these in my endeavour for high beam.
Which do you guys suggest and is there a better option in HID or something other than HID?
The Gen 2 versions generate around 20% more light with the same 35W power consumption and are more Canbus Compatible compared to Gen 1 Variant. Also, the Gen 2 Ballasts are smaller in size than the Gen 1 version.
I would recommend getting the 4300K version of the Gen 2 type instead of the 6000K version as that will give you much better visibility.
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2018, 23:33   #10902
Senior - BHPian

I have a friend of mine returning from the USA and hence did some searching on Amazon.com for LED Headlights and found these:
LASFIT H11/H8/H9 Dual Color LED Headlight Bulbs, Switchback White/Yellow(6000K/3000K)
https://www.amazon.com/LASFIT-Headli...dp/B076DR4GHH/

The reviews on Amazon.com appear to be very good. Planning to use these for the Low Beam on the City. The City has separate bulbs for Low and High Beams. Planning to get only one pair for now and evaluate. I believe the Low Beams on the 2014 Honda City are H11s. Can some one confirm if these would match for the 2014 Honda City ?
Old 8th February 2018, 00:05   #10903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
I believe the Low Beams on the 2014 Honda City are H11s. Can some one confirm if these would match for the 2014 Honda City ?
The low beam bulbs of the 2014 Honda City are indeed H11s as specified in the owners manual.
AShubrah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 13:53   #10904
BANNED

I recently brought a 6x10w cree led light bar from US. Can somebody suggest which wiring harness should be used for installation of this light bar and from where could it be sourced in the delhi-ncr region or maybe online. Thanks in advance!
Old 8th February 2018, 15:55   #10905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
I recently brought a 6x10w cree led light bar from US. Can somebody suggest which wiring harness should be used for installation of this light bar and from where could it be sourced in the delhi-ncr region or maybe online. Thanks in advance!
Could you post some pictures of the light bar?
Also, will you be fitting it onto your truck’s grill?

Most Viewed