Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2017, 10:25   #10771
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Both the links you have posted are projectors which are meant to be installed inside a headlight assembly and are not sealed to prevent water ingestion. Hence if installed in the fog light area it will lead to condensation after a few washes/driving in rains. Have you used them?
Sorry! posted from mobile in the office. Didn't check properly. I haven't used any of them.
Old 31st October 2017, 10:38   #10772
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Also it would be great, if someone can help me decipher the meaning of the numbers at the back.
Osram - Manufacturer's name
H16 - Type of bulb
12V 19W U - For 12 Volts battery, gives out 19 Watts of power
64219 L+ - Bulb's model number
Germany E1 2Z3 - Rating of Economic Committee of Europe (ECE). The number(in this case '1') after E represents the country of approval. 1 is the number for Germany.
W6W 3 - Size of the bulb ?

Quote:
I am looking for a pair which I can use during the early winter mornings of Jan-Feb, North India.
If you want better visibility during foggy conditions do not go towards the white colour or high colour temperatures. The more yellow the better for your driving conditions. There are plenty of options on amazon just enter your bulb type and search

Last edited by OSH : 31st October 2017 at 11:06.
OSH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2017, 10:59   #10773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
If anyone is interested in upgrading the 35W HS1 bulbs on their bikes or scooters then I would recommend this one:

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This bulb gives 45/40W output compared to 35/35W of the stock bulb and hence the intensity and throw of the bulbs is improved.
Thanks for sharing the details. As you rightly mentioned, it is out of stock currently on Amazon. What is the price?
Old 31st October 2017, 12:05   #10774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post
The lights even though claimed to be 42W LED spot beams, have some amount of bleeding, which I feel is a good thing and the beam is spread over a wide area.

So I had to order 3 different units until I found one that matched my expectations.
I am in similar situation. I have bought a 126 W CREE Lightbar for my Safari nearly some 6 months back. But without a bullbar, it can't be fitted. They told me if they drill the bumper, it will weaken it. The lightbar weighs about 2 kg. What is the weight of your Spot beams ?

I tested the 126W LED bar and the light output is really amazing. It punches a wide swathe of light a long way.
Old 31st October 2017, 12:18   #10775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSH View Post
Osram - Manufacturer's name
H16 - Type of bulb
12V 19W U - For 12 Volts battery, gives out 19 Watts of power
64219 L+ - Bulb's model number
Germany E1 2Z3 - Rating of Economic Committee of Europe (ECE). The number(in this case '1') after E represents the country of approval. 1 is the number for Germany.
W6W 3 - Size of the bulb ?

If you want better visibility during foggy conditions do not go towards the white colour or high colour temperatures. The more yellow the better for your driving conditions. There are plenty of options on amazon just enter your bulb type and search
Exactly the type of information I was looking for. Thank you very much OSH.
Now with such constricting scope in place like H16, 19W and a specific bulb size, what options do I really have in place for a addon upgrade.

The wire that is meant for 19-watt, how much more load it can handle? What about the bulb size?

Also I had read someplace, that there is no difference between a Yellow or a White fog lamp. But attaching a yellow fog lamp might attract undue attention. My belief was in fact that yellow lamps are better fog lamps as they are always fixed on long distance trucks.

Some options which I saw at aliexpress are as below
  • OSRAM H16 12V 19W 2600K 62219FBR Fog Breaker Series Xenon Super Yellow Fog Lamps Car Light 200% More Yellow Bulbs Pair

Bulb details at back : Osram / H16 12V / 19W U / 62219 FBR / China / f5t3
  • OSRAM H16 12V 19W 3200K 64219 Original Line Spare Parts Fog Lamp Car Bulb Halogen Light

Bulb details at back : Osram / H16 12V / 19W U / 64219 L+ / Germany E1 2Z3 / w4n2

The Stock bulb is

Osram / H16 12V / 19W U / 64219 L+ / Germany E1 2Z3 / W6W 3

Vaguly it seems that H16 is Osram proprietary.
Old 31st October 2017, 15:01   #10776
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Exactly the type of information I was looking for. Thank you very much OSH.
You're most welcome.

Quote:
Now with such constricting scope in place like H16, 19W and a specific bulb size, what options do I really have in place for a addon upgrade. The wire that is meant for 19-watt, how much more load it can handle? What about the bulb size?
This will be car specific. Safest option is to bypass the factory wiring and then add maybe more powerfull bulbs to aid your driving, but then we hear that the oem holders sometimes melt under the extra heat produced so then ceramic holders will have to be added in that case. There are a lot of things to be kept in mind and because I haven't ever done this, cannot really help you out more than this. Someone who has done the upgrades will be in a better position to answer these doubts.

Quote:
Also I had read someplace, that there is no difference between a Yellow or a White fog lamp. But attaching a yellow fog lamp might attract undue attention. My belief was in fact that yellow lamps are better fog lamps as they are always fixed on long distance trucks.
There is a difference between the two for sure. If the fog/rain is extreme in your areas then those yellow 'fog breakers' will be a good option but otherwise stick to your stock colour temperature don't go towards white as those are useless in fogs. Whites are good for your highway runs where you need to see more farther with clarity.

Quote:
Some options which I saw at aliexpress
These bulbs will be available even on indian shopping sites just search for them. I don't see any advantage buying them overseas.

Quote:
The Stock bulb is
Osram / H16 12V / 19W U / 64219 L+ / Germany E1 2Z3 / W6W 3
What is the exact issue you face with these bulbs ? Asking because fog-lights in our cars are used only to light the area before the headlight cut-off i.e. the portion just a little ahead of the bumper till the headlight's beam. They are not going to improve by leaps and bounds even after upgrading so think before buying.

Quote:
Vaguly it seems that H16 is Osram proprietary.
Confirm with someone if H8/H11/H16 fit the same holder and are of the same size. I have a strong feeling they are all same but not 100% sure.
OSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2017, 15:38   #10777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSH View Post

What is the exact issue you face with these bulbs ? Asking because fog-lights in our cars are used only to light the area before the headlight cut-off i.e. the portion just a little ahead of the bumper till the headlight's beam. They are not going to improve by leaps and bounds even after upgrading so think before buying.

That's a Thor punch on a nail top.

Well, I am facing no issues at all, to be very frank! But during the upcoming January-February I might be will in places around WB, Orissa etc. Now these places have notorious early morning fog, to the extent that hardly anything is visible up front (recollecting from my 2000 memories). I have an understanding that for such scenarios, fog lamps are greatly beneficial as it aids the driver in having a clearer view upfront and near. Not too sure if that's a correct assumption, but yes, that's what is driving the requirement.
Old 31st October 2017, 16:21   #10778
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
I have an understanding that for such scenarios, fog lamps are greatly beneficial as it aids the driver in having a clearer view upfront and near. Not too sure if that's a correct assumption, but yes, that's what is driving the requirement.
The foglamps you are talking about are also called auxiliary foglamps and are quite different from the factory fitted 'foglamps'.

Auxiliary foglamps are the yellow ones which you see on offroad vehicles/trucks/buses, these are the true fog lamps. The factory fitted lights are just called foglights but they don't help you like the auxiliary ones. Aux foglamps are very powerfull, sometimes equal to the headlights but your factory fitted ones are useless compared to them. Even if you do upgrade your factory foglamps, they are not even going to come close to the aux lights so keep that in mind or else you will be disappointed.

Options you have are :
1. Upgrade to Osram H16 fog breakers to get close to that yellow light of the auxiliary foglamps.
2. Invest in a pair of good auxiliary lamps, but cops sometimes harass you when they see them.

I would choose option 1 because option 2 won't look good on a Renault Kwid. You can do one thing, use the fog breaker bulbs only during your trip, at all other times continue using your stock H16 bulbs. Do check if using fog breakers in the Kwid will be technicaly fine or not.
OSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2017, 22:22   #10779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I have bought a 126 W CREE Lightbar for my Safari nearly some 6 months back. But without a bullbar, it can't be fitted.
They told me if they drill the bumper, it will weaken it. The lightbar weighs about 2 kg. What is the weight of your Spot beams ?
I felt each one weighed somewhere between 800 gms - 1 kg approx.
Together the package weighed just under 2 kgs or so. (not measured, just an approximation from what I felt).

If your light bar is a long bar type unit, and not a circular one, then if going for this setup, it will require more than a single bracket for each unit, for a sturdy vibration-free fitment.
In such a case it is better to fix the lights on a bull-bar itself or atleast on the metal cross-member behind the bumper, using a custom-made bracket, rather than on the bumper itself.
I think it should be posible on Safari, since most bigger vehicles have such a metal beam behind the bumper.

The bumper-drilling or the number-plate bolt mounting method will only work effectively for compact, circular units that doesn't have too much projection to the rear of the unit.
It is hard to control the vibrations and shaking in a bumper-mounting setup, if the unit has a bulky heat-sink that adds a considerable length of backward projection and weight.
Or otherwise you need to have a metallic bumper itself, as is the case with Ambassador and Mahindra jeeps.
VinodDevil81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2017, 22:57   #10780
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Thanks for sharing the details. As you rightly mentioned, it is out of stock currently on Amazon. What is the price?
I paid Rs. 162 for one bulb. Not sure if it's available elsewhere. I was randomly browsing the site for bulbs and found this one. Ordered it immediately back then. I had initially thought of plonking in the 60/55Q halogen lamp but felt given the weak electricals of the Dio, it would burden the charging system.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2017, 09:36   #10781
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post
I felt each one weighed somewhere between 800 gms - 1 kg approx.
Together the package weighed just under 2 kgs or so. (not measured, just an approximation from what I felt).

If your light bar is a long bar type unit, and not a circular one, then if going for this setup, it will require more than a single bracket for each unit, for a sturdy vibration-free fitment.
In such a case it is better to fix the lights on a bull-bar itself or atleast on the metal cross-member behind the bumper, using a custom-made bracket, rather than on the bumper itself.
I think it should be posible on Safari, since most bigger vehicles have such a metal beam behind the bumper.

The bumper-drilling or the number-plate bolt mounting method will only work effectively for compact, circular units that doesn't have too much projection to the rear of the unit.
It is hard to control the vibrations and shaking in a bumper-mounting setup, if the unit has a bulky heat-sink that adds a considerable length of backward projection and weight.
Or otherwise you need to have a metallic bumper itself, as is the case with Ambassador and Mahindra jeeps.
Thank you so much for the detailed reply. As they discussed in another thread, there is the possibility that these imported LEDBars can be stolen if they are mounted in a makeshift manner.
I checked out a friend's innova where they have mounted such a unit in a bullbar. You don't need a headlight to light up your path. This monster light baths the way in pure white light like it is daytime. With our kind of roads, it is highly useful.
So the search continues ...
Old 1st November 2017, 22:31   #10782
BHPian

Hi everyone,

I have recently booked a Hyundai Tuscon 2WD GL AT. This vehicle comes with factory fitted halogen projectors. But reading some reviews the brightness may not be sufficient for day to day driving. If anyone could guide me any good LED plug and play bulbs that can be fitted without any cutting of wire. I am avoiding HID option for now cause it will require some cutting which will void warranty. Thanks in advance.
Old 1st November 2017, 22:38   #10783
Team-BHP Support

Installed KC Hilites Spot Beams on my Thar and quite happy with the result -

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20171017_133132.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20171027_021151.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20171017_133346.jpg

Last edited by BlackPearl : 1st November 2017 at 22:58.
BlackPearl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2017, 22:39   #10784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetblast101 View Post
. I am avoiding HID option for now cause it will require some cutting which will void warranty. Thanks in advance.
HID will not involve any wire cutting. Get a good installer.
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2017, 01:11   #10785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetblast101 View Post
Hi everyone,

I have recently booked a Hyundai Tuscon 2WD GL AT. This vehicle comes with factory fitted halogen projectors. But reading some reviews the brightness may not be sufficient for day to day driving. If anyone could guide me any good LED plug and play bulbs that can be fitted without any cutting of wire. I am avoiding HID option for now cause it will require some cutting which will void warranty. Thanks in advance.
Congrats on booking a wonderful looking machine! I really love the design language of Tucson. Double barrel headlight do deserve a good lighting as a compliment. HID doesn’t involve any wire splicing at all. And yes, LEDs are efficient but when you are looking st pure performance, then HID it is! It depends on your usage at night. If your usage is high at night on highways, pls do evaluate the performance difference between HID and LED. And yes, HID comes with ballast and it has to be mounted. LED is hassle free installation. Just plug and play. I’m currently running on LED bulbs on my Brezza and it’s delivering optimum performance. Remember to pick temperature of the product to remain at / below 4300k for performance and anything beyond this mark is going to be focused on looks because it emits blue tint which proves to be worthless during heavy downpour. I’m running on 5500k LED setup.
gururajrv is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks