Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2017, 17:50   #10681
Team-BHP Support

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
As per your diagnosis this could be correct but why does the high beam indicator (blue indicator) on the dash not show anymore when it used to show before?
That could mean the wiring has totally messed up the system including the feedback signal to the instrument cluster that shows the high beam.

The best way is to remove the existing wiring, check if the high beam indicator in the instrument cluster works fine, install the new wiring and check if everything is fine.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 08:59   #10682
BHPian

So, I just got a new Verna home yesterday. The EX variant misses out on Projector Headlamps and I found the Halogens that it comes with are not so powerful. I would ideally like to replace it with more powerful bulbs. Is this possible without a risk of warranty loss? What are the factors to be considered when buying the new headlamps? I am noob when it comes to Auto lighting, so if someone can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.
Old 9th September 2017, 09:59   #10683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Have you used one or do you know someone who has used them on Skoda/VW for a long time? Options like OSRAM are INR 12K range while they have only 35W option.
Refer to this post:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3775719

HID kits are plug and play, you don't have to cut or splice any wires. You can swap the halogen back anytime if needed incase you need to claim the warranty, so the Skoda ASS will not know about it, if they will see HID installed they may void the warranty. They may do they same if you install a 90/100 halogens. Import a good AC 55w HID CANBUS kit with H7 bulb and relay. Better order directly from aliexpress as whatever you will find in India would have came from there anyways and you would end up paying more than twice the original price.
wrongturn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 10:13   #10684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathik View Post
So, I just got a new Verna home yesterday. The EX variant misses out on Projector Headlamps and I found the Halogens that it comes with are not so powerful. I would ideally like to replace it with more powerful bulbs. Is this possible without a risk of warranty loss? What are the factors to be considered when buying the new headlamps? I am noob when it comes to Auto lighting, so if someone can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.
As posted earlier numerous times you can upgrade to osram nightbraker. These are same wattage with 20-30% extra light. No issue with warranty. Just plug and play.

Also you can install a 90/100 halogen with good wiring kit. This also should not affect the warranty since there is no cutting of original wiring is not hampered. Also if there is any suspected warranty problem you can always get it removed before going to the workshop.

The last one is the most effective upgrade.

Last edited by archat68 : 9th September 2017 at 10:20.
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2017, 18:31   #10685
BHPian

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-imageuploadedbyteambhp1505048377.960008.jpg
Hey fellow members
I'm on a tight budget,so instead of changing the whole headlamp
Was wondering if this can be retrofitted into the existing headlamps in bangalore
Any members have any reviews to share on this particular item that i found on amazon?
Any help will be highly appreciated
Thanks in advance!
Old 11th September 2017, 00:50   #10686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghav.carfreak View Post
Attachment 1674655
Hey fellow members
I'm on a tight budget,so instead of changing the whole headlamp
Was wondering if this can be retrofitted into the existing headlamps in bangalore
Any members have any reviews to share on this particular item that i found on amazon?
Any help will be highly appreciated
Thanks in advance!
If that is the price for just 1 projector with shroud and hid bulb, its too high.
Retrofitting a bi xenon projector in a headlamp is not just plug and play. Check youtube for directions and setup guide.
A bi xenon projector car kit would consist of:
1. 2x projector lens (choose what size & type H4, H7, D2S, D3S, etc etc as per existing setup)
2. 2x hid bulbs (choose type H4, H7 , H11 etc etc as per existing setup)
3. 2x Projector shrouds. (With or without angel/demon eyes, various types sizes)
4. 2x Ballastd (make sure you order a good quality AC ballast)
5. Relay wire.
You will need to open the headlamp assembly to retrofit the projectors.
wrongturn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 11:44   #10687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So now here is weird problem that I am facing after installing the aftermarket projectors from Xenon Planet.

When all lights are OFF : When trying to flash the hight beam, lights do not come on at all.

When low beam is ON : When trying to flash the high beam, only RHS high beam works.

When low beam is ON : When stalk is moved to high beam position, the RHS hight beam comes on for a split second and headlights shut OFF. If stalk is moved back to low beam position, the low beams come back on.

Everything was initially working fine. I really need help identifying the above issue as it is driving me nuts. The guys from XP believe it is the relay.
So I have finally sorted out the above issue which was a simple case of a blown LHS high beam fuse. I am relieved that it was not a solenoid failure. Even though I am happy the issue was simple, I am furious with the fact that it was due to a complicated wiring installation which led to the constant blowing of the fuse and erratic behavior as mentioned above. We realized that the installer from XP had connected the RHS projector directly to the OEM socket by splicing the OEM wire . Also, the 'grounding' was given directly to the battery which is never recommended. Basically some sort of 'jugaad' which was probably not required and could have maybe done further damage to my entire electrical system. I have discarded the XP wiring harness and installed a new wiring harness from Morimoto.

I will probably be writing about my entire experience with XP soon.

Special thanks to TBHP Members prince85, SunnyBoi, graaja & Dr.Naren for their help and inputs in identifying my issue.
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 12:22   #10688
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So I have finally sorted out the above issue which was a simple case of a blown LHS high beam fuse. I am relieved that it was not a solenoid failure.
That was a relief!! You don't have to open your headlights again.

Quote:
We realized that the installer from XP had connected the RHS projector directly to the OEM socket by splicing the OEM wire . Also, the 'grounding' was given directly to the battery which is never recommended. Basically some sort of 'jugaad' which was probably not required and could have maybe done further damage to my entire electrical system.
That's really bad. I too had similar experience with XP installer and even lost electrical warranty of my S-Cross. The dealer said I "might" get back the warranty if I replace the entire harness which would cost around 30K . I believe your car is out of warranty.

Quote:
I have discarded the XP wiring harness and installed a new wiring harness from Morimoto.
Nice. Quality should be much better than the relay supplied by Xenon Planet.

Quote:
I will probably be writing about my entire experience with XP soon.
Old 14th September 2017, 12:49   #10689
Senior - BHPian

Hello everyone,

I have been told that when upgrading from stock halogen H4 bulbs to HIDs, the high beam fuse must be upgraded too. So how many amperes more have the fuses to be upgraded to? Is there some sort of a fixed number or cut off?

For example - I have a 2011 Polo 1.6 which came stock with H4 bulbs and a high beam fuse of 10A. I have upgraded to Bi-xenon projector HID of 55W. What should be the value of the upgraded fuse?
Old 14th September 2017, 13:29   #10690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathik View Post
I would ideally like to replace it with more powerful bulbs. Is this possible without a risk of warranty loss?
As advised earlier, try either the Osram nightbreakers or the Philips Xtreme vision. The throw and illumination is much better than the stock 60/55 halogens., and should suit you if you are not planning on long 'over the night' drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Also you can install a 90/100 halogen with good wiring kit. This also should not affect the warranty since there is no cutting of original wiring is not hampered.
Check with your dealer or the regular HASS that you are planning upon. At times they might themselves do the installation with the wiring kit for a 100/90 bulb upgrade. You might have to source the wiring kit and the bulbs for them.

Volkswagen Mount Road, Chennai, once refused to adjust my Vento's beam focus, saying that the headlight had been tampered with. I was using 100/90 bulbs with a bosch wiring kit. They were willing to do the adjusting, provided I come back with the stock bulb (60/55) set up and minus the extra wirings.
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 14:07   #10691
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post

How do I know? I hacked a Philips H4 100/90 wiring harness to power six projectors on my car. All it took was a 4 rupee component to force the bulb to be on during high beam, that too reliably.
Is it possible to use a H4 relay with HID and projector (high beam connector). If it is could you help me with converting the Philips H4 relay to HID bi xenon projector relay? I would really appreciate that as the HID relay is not of good quality. i have marked the projector hi beam connector to the relay connector.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20170914_140211.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20170914_140231.jpg  

Last edited by wrongturn : 14th September 2017 at 14:09.
Old 14th September 2017, 23:00   #10692
BHPian

DIY project: installed Bi Xenon projector 35w HID kit on my Verito. Still need to align the projectors and wire the cob angel eyes. Total damage around ₹5k, and had to buy a heat gun for ₹2k. Absolutely satisfied with the result.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20170914_225239.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20170914_225258.jpg  

Last edited by wrongturn : 14th September 2017 at 23:04.
Old 14th September 2017, 23:35   #10693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
Is it possible to use a H4 relay with HID and projector (high beam connector). If it is could you help me with converting the Philips H4 relay to HID bi xenon projector relay?
You need ballast and high beam connectors, as well as a BY255 diode.

for reference, this is a philips h4 harness I converted for HID for a friend :

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20170127_192609.jpg

Cut off connectors from old harness. I got pigtails from a set of old H7 HID bulbs. For high beam, I put in new amp superseal connectors. The connectors you get on the projector and harness will break off after connecting-removing twice or thrice.

peel off the corrugated plastic just after the H4 connector where it connects to the stock harness. peel a bit of insulation off low and high beam wires, connect the diode in between. Polarity matters here. Once done, seal it back. (red taped portion on the pic above)

Cut off the ceramic connectors from the philips loom. Connect red wire from ballast pigtail to the grey wire ( low beam circuit). Black wire should be grounded so crimp on a ground terminal.

You can see I've used amp connectors for high beam - orange wires from phiips loom ( ones with yellow wiring). Polarity doesnt matter here. One of the two wires must be grounded. (yellow wire from amp connectors in the pic)

Once this is done, test and see if everything is working fine.

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 14th September 2017 at 23:41.
SunnyBoi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 23:54   #10694
BHPian

Quote:

Once this is done, test and see if everything is working fine.
That was really helpful, thanks. I have another DIY project ahead to retrofit projector fog lamps with 55w HID on another car wherein I will only need them to be on low beam all the time.
I installed the HID relay today after I did a little study on how to retrofit these. The high beam is controlled by the projector lamp shutter while the HID H1 bulb stays on all the time through low beam connection as it is only a single filament bulb. So, in case we turn on the high beams the connection to low beam will shut off switching off the HID bulb and the headlight. Could the H4 relay do this after the modifications you have made. I did connect the 55w HIDs to the relay with only low beam and ground connected and they worked, but had no idea what I should do to control the projector lens shutter, and once I read that HID relay is necessary to keep the low beam always on, I decided to just go with it.

Last edited by wrongturn : 15th September 2017 at 00:01.
Old 15th September 2017, 00:00   #10695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
So, in case we turn on the high beams the connection to low beam will shut off switching off the HID bulb and the headlight. Could the H4 relay do this after the modifications you have made.
Quote:

peel off the corrugated plastic just after the H4 connector where it connects to the stock harness. peel a bit of insulation off low and high beam wires, connect the diode in between. Polarity matters here. Once done, seal it back. (red taped portion on the pic above)
diode's function here is to force low beam to be on when high beam is switched on for H4 systems.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks