Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2017, 05:34   #10666
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Dr.Naren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5,068
Thanked: 16,554 Times
Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
And I say this because post install the wiring kit has already been changd once and so has the RHS projector for a shutter failure. All this with in 1.5 months post install!!!
After experiencing XP products myself and also after reading couple of negative experiences : it's very clear that XP projectors are not consistent. The defect / failure rate is also pretty high.

Sorry to hear about your case. 1.5 months : Wiring kit and one side projector already replaced. This means that your headlights were opened twice already. Hope you don't have to open it for the third time now to replace LHS projector .
Dr.Naren is offline  
Old 3rd September 2017, 13:20   #10667
Senior - BHPian
 
Epic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,547
Thanked: 901 Times
Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Correct. Its purely due to a defective wiring kit.
Well the wiring kits of XP are definitely of inferior quality as it has already been changed once and based on the current symptoms, it seems to have failed again. I have hence bought a set of wiring from Morimoto which I hope will solve all my issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
By component failure I meant failure of solenoid inside the projector.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Sorry to hear about your case. 1.5 months : Wiring kit and one side projector already replaced. This means that your headlights were opened twice already. Hope you don't have to open it for the third time now to replace LHS projector
This is something I am really fearing and will be a disaster if it a solenoid failure again. I really hope it isn't a projector failure.
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2017, 14:27   #10668
BHPian
 
Shekhar2509's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 79
Thanked: 279 Times
Santro needs a headlamp upgrade

We have a Santro eRLX XO (2007) which has clocked around 67k on the odo. Recently, we have been noticing a prominent decrease in the intensity and throw of headlamps, which makes it quite difficult for night drives, esp. on highways. Looking to upgrade the headlamps to HIDs, but not sure what option will be the best and VFM.
Experts, please advise!
Shekhar2509 is offline  
Old 3rd September 2017, 15:24   #10669
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Dr.Naren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5,068
Thanked: 16,554 Times
Re: Santro needs a headlamp upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shekhar2509 View Post
We have a Santro eRLX XO (2007) which has clocked around 67k on the odo. Recently, we have been noticing a prominent decrease in the intensity and throw of headlamps, which makes it quite difficult for night drives, esp. on highways. Looking to upgrade the headlamps to HIDs, but not sure what option will be the best and VFM.
Experts, please advise!
I would suggest to try 100/90 halogen bulbs with relay and ceramic bulb holder. If you are not satisfied consider HID. Also never put HID bulb in a halogen reflector which would glare others. HID bulbs to be used only in Bixenon Projectors for zero glare and best output.

You are saying that the intensity has decreased now. What's the condition of headlight lens?

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 3rd September 2017 at 15:43.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2017, 16:20   #10670
BHPian
 
Shekhar2509's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 79
Thanked: 279 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I would suggest to try 100/90 halogen bulbs with relay and ceramic bulb holder. If you are not satisfied consider HID. Also never put HID bulb in a halogen reflector which would glare others. HID bulbs to be used only in Bixenon Projectors for zero glare and best output.

You are saying that the intensity has decreased now. What's the condition of headlight lens?
The lens has faded to some extent, owing to the age! Considered changing the headlamp assembly as well, but not sure if it would make a great difference!
Shekhar2509 is offline  
Old 3rd September 2017, 20:35   #10671
BHPian
 
archat68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 876
Thanked: 603 Times
Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shekhar2509 View Post
The lens has faded to some extent, owing to the age! Considered changing the headlamp assembly as well, but not sure if it would make a great difference!
Get the headlamp lens polished with a mild polish like meguirs ultimate polish and replace existing bulbs with 100/90 and a good quality wiring harness as already suggested earlier and you should see noticeable difference. If the reflector is blackened you may need to change the headlight assembly.
archat68 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 11:03   #10672
BHPian
 
Shekhar2509's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 79
Thanked: 279 Times
Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Get the headlamp lens polished with a mild polish like meguirs ultimate polish and replace existing bulbs with 100/90 and a good quality wiring harness as already suggested earlier and you should see noticeable difference.
Thanks @archat68, will try this! Seems this might do the job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
If the reflector is blackened you may need to change the headlight assembly.
The reflector is not blackened, just the lens has turned a bit dull!
Shekhar2509 is offline  
Old 4th September 2017, 18:07   #10673
BHPian
 
vivekgk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 930
Thanked: 1,627 Times

Here's an H4 replacement LED bulb set that I bought off Alixpress. Cost me about ₹ 1700 for a set of 2 including shipping. Generic brand. The seller name was Partol. I chose this because this was their largest selling brand and model.

I'm posting some pics I took. If you notice, there are a total of three LED clusters, 120 degrees apart. When fitted in a socket, two of those will face upwards, illuminating the top two thirds of the reflector, while switching to high beam also turns on the bottom LED cluster. In effect, the high beam is the low beam + the high beam. The high beam cluster is set further back along the stem, to mimic the placement of the high beam on an H4 bulb.

The fitment is straightforward. The black ring with the placement studs can be removed by twisting. The ring is then installed into the socket, secured with the locking bracket in the car, and then the bulb can be inserted from behind. Any rubber covers that might foul with the heatsink and fan should be removed or modified.

This model does not come with a separate driver box for the LEDs. Some models do. Since the power consumption is just 72W per set, (36W per bulb) you won't need a relay. Power up is instant. Fans run at a constant speed and their buzzing can be heard from under the bonnet, outside the car. But it is not heard inside.

The low beam is good. It lights up the area immediately in front of the car very evenly. There is no focus or bright areas to speak of. The effect is similar to a flood light. The downside is that there is no clean cutoff. There is some amount of glare to oncoming traffic.

The high beam is bad. There is no focus at all. The high beam results in a bit more light being thrown on the lower side of the reflector. It is bright for sure, but most of the extra light ends up being scattered everywhere. I have driven a fair bit with these on, but I used low beams 90% of the time. Also, I had a set of 100/90 H4 bulbs in the boot as backup, should these fail.

Overall, this bulb is not that great. It's sole purpose seems to be to mimic white LEDs or HIDs on high end cars at a low price. It's great for bullying oncoming cars that won't dip their lamps, as the glare on high beams is quite unbearable.

Overall, a definite no buy.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-1504527484150.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-1504527519789.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-1504527536989.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-1504527554954.jpg  

Attached Images
 
vivekgk is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 22:36   #10674
BHPian
 
anandkumargb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 202
Thanked: 174 Times
Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Need some advise -

I have a Skoda Rapid Black edition with projector headlamps. I feel the lights aren't powerful. What are my affordable options for upgrading?

Can I install 90/100 relay and bulbs?

Thanks
GB Anand
anandkumargb is offline  
Old 7th September 2017, 00:02   #10675
BHPian
 
wrongturn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 411
Thanked: 1,437 Times
Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandkumargb View Post
Need some advise -

I have a Skoda Rapid Black edition with projector headlamps. I feel the lights aren't powerful. What are my affordable options for upgrading?

Can I install 90/100 relay and bulbs?

Thanks
GB Anand
If its not on HID already then maybe go for a 35w or 55w HID kit. Look for a good AC ballast with CANBUS. There are good quality HID kits available on AliExpress like Hylux that comes with 3 year warranty. Some Ballasts come with both CANBUS and quick start. A good kit would cost around Rs. 4k.

Last edited by wrongturn : 7th September 2017 at 00:04.
wrongturn is offline  
Old 7th September 2017, 01:19   #10676
Senior - BHPian
 
Epic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,547
Thanked: 901 Times
Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
As you say everything was working fine initially, this should mostly be some loose contact or component failure in the wiring kit. Talk to XenonPlanet and get the wiring replaced.

For the 2nd problem where you try to flash with low beam on and only RHS high beam gets activated, this could be a shutter failure in the LHS projector.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
This is regarding symptom 2 where high beam is coming on for only one projector - It can be as simple as wire connection for the high beam solenoid coming off/problem in wiring harness or worse case scenario that the solenoid inside the projector gone bad which will require replacement of the projector. We cannot say for sure which one.

By component failure I meant failure of solenoid inside the projector.

Correct. Its purely due to a defective wiring kit.
What I forgot to mention in all these symptoms is that while trying to flash the headlights or switching to high beam, the highbeam sign (blue light) does not show on the dash. It used to show before when the projector were working normally.

I believe this is a sign of a blown high beam fuse. However, the RHS high beam is working, i.e. flashing only when low beam is on and activates only for a split second when switched to high beam and then headlights turn off.
Could this be that it is just a blown high beam fuse of the LHS headlight?
Epic is offline  
Old 7th September 2017, 06:59   #10677
Senior - BHPian
 
SunnyBoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mysore / B'lore
Posts: 1,581
Thanked: 3,145 Times
Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
What I forgot to mention in all these symptoms is that while trying to flash the headlights or switching to high beam, the highbeam sign (blue light) does not show on the dash. It used to show before when the projector were working normally.

I believe this is a sign of a blown high beam fuse. However, the RHS high beam is working, i.e. flashing only when low beam is on and activates only for a split second when switched to high beam and then headlights turn off.
Could this be that it is just a blown high beam fuse of the LHS headlight?
Wiring harnesses work by taking signal only from one side, usually the one closest to battery and then distribute it to both sides using its own wiring. So if one side high beam isnt working, it means the relay/wiring harness is getting proper signal but one part of the wiring harness isnt working or the high beam solenoid is dead. The fuses are intact.

If you suspect fuses are blown, do a check yourself, refer the owners manual for details.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 12:50   #10678
Senior - BHPian
 
Epic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,547
Thanked: 901 Times
Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Wiring harnesses work by taking signal only from one side, usually the one closest to battery and then distribute it to both sides using its own wiring. So if one side high beam isnt working, it means the relay/wiring harness is getting proper signal but one part of the wiring harness isnt working or the high beam solenoid is dead. The fuses are intact.

If you suspect fuses are blown, do a check yourself, refer the owners manual for details.
As per your diagnosis this could be correct but why does the high beam indicator (blue indicator) on the dash not show anymore when it used to show before?
Epic is offline  
Old 7th September 2017, 14:27   #10679
BHPian
 
ladak.imran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 294
Thanked: 6 Times
Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Hi - a basic question - i just bought new Polo GT TSI. Is a headlight bulb upgrade safe to do, in terms of not voiding warranty?

Also, i'm not aware what the current bulbs are rated at - can anyone help me out?
TIA.
ladak.imran is offline  
Old 8th September 2017, 16:35   #10680
Senior - BHPian
 
jacs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,494
Thanked: 1,039 Times
Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
There are good quality HID kits available on AliExpress like Hylux that comes with 3 year warranty. Some Ballasts come with both CANBUS and quick start. A good kit would cost around Rs. 4k.
Have you used one or do you know someone who has used them on Skoda/VW for a long time? Options like OSRAM are INR 12K range while they have only 35W option.
jacs is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2023, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks