Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2021, 09:34   #12166
BHPian

Re: Old car_need better lighting for practical reasons like night drives and fog

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderinNomad View Post
Just to update, went to a local accessories guy in Gurgaon and upgraded to Hella harness 130/100. I already had osram 100/90 bulbs and used them.

For the remaining 25%, I may explore fitting the OE fog lamps in the bumper space provided, and explore the various H11 /H8 bulb options I can use with them. Any advise will
Hi WanderinNomad,

I had the same problem a while ago. Fooled by a duplicate Philips wiring loom. Hence I asked you to check carefully about the authenticity.

I hope you now have ceramic bulb holders?

Please don't waste money on the OE fog lamps. They will not help you at all. The light throw of most fog lights is about 5 to 7 metres. Max 10m. Because they are so low they are pretty much useless.

Cheers,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 01:59   #12167
BHPian

Re: Old car_need better lighting for practical reasons like night drives and fog

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi WanderinNomad,

I had the same problem a while ago. Fooled by a duplicate Philips wiring loom. Hence I asked you to check carefully about the authenticity.

I hope you now have ceramic bulb holders?

Please don't waste money on the OE fog lamps. They will not help you at all. The light throw of most fog lights is about 5 to 7 metres. Max 10m. Because they are so low they are pretty much useless.

Cheers,
SS
Yes it's difficult to differentiate. I still remember the previous guy had installed the same taking it out from an original looking phillips box. Hope these hella one is genuine.

Any idea if IPH ones can be fitted in cars with non circular headlamps ?
Old 24th September 2021, 15:49   #12168
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Need help! A couple of weeks back, I ordered a set of fog lamps for my VW Polo through some local store in Delhi who agreed to courier it to my place. He showed me the pictures and I agreed to buy as he quoted a lesser price. When the item arrived, I had to pay more for the courier than what he agreed. Further, I noticed that the bulbs and the wiring kit along with it were cheap quality ones. There was no point talking to him over the phone and I learned a good lesson as well to not buy stuffs over some random guy on the internet.

Anyways, I proceeded to install it myself (connected to battery with separate switch for fog lights) and I completed it successfully but the light throw was very poor and much lesser than what I expected. Hence, yesterday I went to a local car accessories store to get the fog light bulbs replaced expecting to get a better lighting. Bought the Philips 35W H8 halogen bulbs and got it installed but surprisingly even this has the same light output as the previous cheap ones. The light output on both the bulbs are so poor that I feel my parking light bulb has a better light output than my current fog lights.

Now, I'm thinking this could be due to the wiring kit provided along with it and replacing it to a better quality ones should improve the light output. Can anyone throw some light onto this if I should be looking at something else? The accessories store guy is asking me to plug in 65W bulbs for fog light which I definitely don't want to. I already have a 100/90W bulbs with relay for the headlight. So I'm just looking for a decent lighting on the fog lamps and nothing extra ordinary.
Old 24th September 2021, 15:58   #12169
BHPian

Hello everyone

Need help with replacing the stock halogens on my BRV V CVT.
(Searched this thread, and elsewhere on the forum, for a similar query /response but couldn't find one).

I do a lot of highway runs including new and far away places (combination of hills, ghats and plains etc.) in varying conditions ( rain, mist, fog, pitch dark at night)

1) What is the best combo of lights ( halogen/LED/HID) for High beam, Low beam and fog lamps ?
2) If the response above has LED/HID , then can LEDs/HIDs be installed in a halogen set up ? What should be kept in mind ?
3) Will it impact extended warranty (have it till 2023)
4) What are the brands to consider ? and any shops that you recommend to get them installed in Gurgaon or Faridabad?

Thank you in advance for your response
Old 24th September 2021, 17:37   #12170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalidiot View Post

Anyways, I proceeded to install it myself (connected to battery with separate switch for fog lights) and I completed it successfully but the light throw was very poor and much lesser than what I expected. Hence, yesterday I went to a local car accessories store to get the fog light bulbs replaced expecting to get a better lighting. Bought the Philips 35W H8 halogen bulbs and got it installed but surprisingly even this has the same light output as the previous cheap ones. The light output on both the bulbs are so poor that I feel my parking light bulb has a better light output than my current fog lights.

Now, I'm thinking this could be due to the wiring kit provided along with it and replacing it to a better quality ones should improve the light output. Can anyone throw some light onto this if I should be looking at something else? The accessories store guy is asking me to plug in 65W bulbs for fog light which I definitely don't want to. I already have a 100/90W bulbs with relay for the headlight. So I'm just looking for a decent lighting on the fog lamps and nothing extra ordinary.
Changing wiring won't do anything. Most factory fog lamps are like this only. For better output you can use those 65w bulbs or use PnP Led bulbs which are much brighter.
Old 26th September 2021, 12:25   #12171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
Changing wiring won't do anything. Most factory fog lamps are like this only. For better output you can use those 65w bulbs or use PnP Led bulbs which are much brighter.
Thanks for the response. But I feel the current lights are really poor, forget factory it is hard to even figure out if the light is on or not - pretty much similar to a parking bulb. 35W bulbs should definitely perform better is what I feel, which is what got me thinking if the fault lies in the wiring.
Old 26th September 2021, 21:49   #12172

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
Is there a clause which says you have to get them installed from their workshop only or you can purchase and get it installed on your own to retain warranty issues?

Tata wants everything to be installed at their workshop only, else warranty voids. They do sell at astronomical prices though.
"astronomical prices"... loved the quote..!!
anirban.mkj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 21:37   #12173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalaChakravarth View Post
Hi Pradeep, Automotive Lighting Experts - run by a guy called Anton was recommended to me. A friend got his lights changed on his EcoSport. He seems expensive, but does a quality job is what I have heard.

Please call for an appointment before you go there. He can be reached at +91 73377 77444.

Do provide your feedback and experience!

-Bala
Yes you are right. He is a bit expensive but he does quality work. I got HIDs installed by him. Still going strong after 2 years.
Old 2nd October 2021, 15:20   #12174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderinNomad View Post

Have driven the car almost 1000 km since then and frankly my problem is 75% resolved. Let's see if these 100/90 setup gives any trouble. This will be my third try.

For the remaining 25%, I was told that this car can't be fitted with Iph projectors. Hence I may explore fitting the OE fog lamps in the bumper space provided, and explore the various H11 /H8 bulb options I can use with them. Any advise will be welcome.

Attachment 2209409
- could you share the details of this accesory shop which installed the 90/100 relay?
- Technically, you can do a jugaad fit for iph fog lamps in the existing place but it will look jugaadu. The OE fog lamps combined with LED/ HID will look good from outside but won't be of great help in lighting up the road.
Old 2nd October 2021, 15:42   #12175
BHPian

I ordered HID projector 55w for my fog lamps for my car (Baleno). Please see below image for reference.

Should I need to order any relay?

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-hid-55w.png
Old 2nd October 2021, 18:02   #12176
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

The biggest issue in the oldest hatchback in India (Polo) are the headlights. Although there are loads of aftermarket options available, I am unable to convince myself to put my money and trust on swaps.

However, I really believe in an individual real world experience and would request any Polo/Vento/Ameo owners from Bangalore to advise the best projector headlights. Most of the ones I have spoken to suggest Bi-xenon, but I have auto-headlight switch and it's probably not the best option for a Bi-xenon, but please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

With Aliexpress a distant memory, is there a reliable online option or a good store in Bangalore that one of you can advise based on your experience?

Appreciate your time.
Old 2nd October 2021, 18:15   #12177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
but I have auto-headlight switch and it's probably not the best option for a Bi-xenon, but please correct me if my understanding is wrong.
I can't think of any reason why auto-headlight switch would cause a problem for bi-xenons.

Sorry for slightly off-topic response.
Old 2nd October 2021, 19:14   #12178
anb
BHPian

Why 100w h7 bulbs and relay are not as popular as 100/90 h4 bulbs ? I don't see any Polo/ Vento using 100 w bulbs. What is the reason ?

Last edited by anb : 2nd October 2021 at 19:15.
Old 3rd October 2021, 11:19   #12179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I can't think of any reason why auto-headlight switch would cause a problem for bi-xenons.

Sorry for slightly off-topic response.
Here's why I think it "Might" be an issue buddy:

- My auto-headlight switch has quite a sensitive inbuilt light sensor that switches on/off the headlight rapidly. For example, the lights come on within a couple of seconds of me entering an underpass and turns off after about 3 seconds of exiting it.
- Auto-headlight switch also provides coming home and leaving home function. The moment I lock/unlock the car, the lights come on and turn off after about 30 seconds.

These activities can damage the xenon bulbs as they are not instantaneous while powering on like the LEDs, and may have some amount of boot time.

Essentially, I am worried if the auto on/off feature of the headlight switch might damage the bulbs, unless my understanding is way off!
Old 3rd October 2021, 11:43   #12180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
I ordered HID projector 55w for my fog lamps for my car (Baleno). Please see below image for reference.

Should I need to order any relay?

Attachment 2214175
Yes you should 100%. Your fog lamp wiring isn't made for hid which require higher power at startup.
Mr. Nobody is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks