Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2011, 17:49   #4666
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Gigy: The issue does seems to be with regard to wiring. What you suggested, making hote and MSeal type compound, is what most people do.

And yes, agree with your remark that (contrary to few peoples experience) blue vision does not provide much improvement, as per my experience.

@mandyrana: If you want to keep your 100/90, there is a way to route the wiring thru the parking lights rubber seal; will involve some Yoga postures and time. This way you will be able to use the cover as intended and with no harm of moisture & water entering the headlight casing.
Thanks for suggestions. I bought Silicon gun for Rs 220 and made hole on the back cver and sealed using silicon.

Now happily using 100/90 Philips Rally
Old 7th January 2011, 19:22   #4667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururaj r View Post
I have an i10 sportz version. It is with stock bulbs. Gurus, can you suggest what are the things that I have to look before changing to 100/90 bulbs as I find highway driving at night with stock bulbs a strain on eyes since it does throw adequate light.
First and foremost if your headlight assembly is made of plastic you need 100/55 bulbs and not 100/90. Read my post for the reasons.

Next you need the plug and play Roots or similar relay system that costs about 500 and more for the complete kit. No wire cutting is required in this kit.

Susquehanna MotorSports - Auto Performance Product

The Hella bulb 100/55 mentioned is not available in India but thats the best option for all plastic bodied headlamp assemblies. Remember the low beam should not be more than 55 watts and the high beam not more than 130 watts in plastic fronted headlamps. For glass and metal based assemblies you can go up to 130/90 but you would need a higher rated alternator if you are going to use the light sabers with the AC switched on.
Best of luck.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 7th January 2011 at 19:24.
Old 8th January 2011, 02:19   #4668

Hello guys i have also fitted maruti 800 (type 3) headlights in my m800 (type 2) with osram 90/100 halogen lamps with solar company relay with 1 year warranty

this is just the pic of dipper on and not upper on
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-dsc01227_filtered.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-dsc01231_filtered.jpg  

Old 9th January 2011, 00:42   #4669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
A lucid explanation! Puts to rest those constant questions discussing Rally (I still dont understand why people call it RallyE!) vs Xtreme/Diamond/Crystal vision bulbs.

I'm with Soccerfan on this. Have been using 100/90w Philips Rally with Minda relay and heavy duty wiring for over 1.5 years now. It's way better and more stable than Xtreme/Diamond/Crystal vision. Honestly, now thinking of upgrading to 130/100
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...eadlamps.html: RALLY

Bought 90/100 Bosch for 85Rs per bulb today. Thought it looks powerful/bright like the Philips Rally 100/110 I have on RHS, head on Philips looks BRIGHT!

And guess Rally will cost 150 or so, so double the cost.

http://www.lighting.philips.co.in/v2...2_1&id=1053472

Seems they dont have a listing for Rally in the website.

Last edited by jkdas : 9th January 2011 at 00:49.
Old 9th January 2011, 12:37   #4670
SAS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...eadlamps.html: RALLY

Bought 90/100 Bosch for 85Rs per bulb today. Thought it looks powerful/bright like the Philips Rally 100/110 I have on RHS, head on Philips looks BRIGHT!

And guess Rally will cost 150 or so, so double the cost.

Philips Lighting India - Product

Seems they dont have a listing for Rally in the website.
The philips rally works better easily. It burns brighter, however it's life is also shorter. That's the tradeoff in rally - however its the best option for bright lights. The same filament is also used by philips in their 100/90 bluevision bulbs. The bluevision lumens are lower due to the blue coating. The rally is the best since it's completely transparent and burns brighter. I've been using them with a roots relay kit with ceramic holders for past 2 years now without any problems. The lights are bright and more than enough for our roads.

I've also used bluevision 100/90 earlier: comparing both, philips rally is the brightest, however bluevision looked white.
Old 9th January 2011, 16:06   #4671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
The 100/90 and 130/100 H4 bulbs from Philips are branded as Rally
Philips Xtreme power and Xtreme Vision are 60/55 rated bulbs which gives slightly more output compared to normal 60/55 bulbs
I have been using Rally 100/90 in my Punto for more than a year along with Roots wiring kit+ relay. No fused bulbs or problems till now. highly recommended!!
Nice crisp explanation, Soccerfan. My only question here is, did you go for the ceramic holders too? Pardon my ignorance, also, do you have to remove the stock and replace with this new kit?
Old 9th January 2011, 16:50   #4672
BHPian

hey all,i recently bought a pair of hella rallye 3000 blue for my bolero camper,there's an outer silver ring [plastic] which has to be removed to change the bulb if needed ,would like to know how to remove this outer ring, is there a clip or a lock to take it off?please help.
Old 9th January 2011, 20:17   #4673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desigNation View Post
hey all,i recently bought a pair of hella rallye 3000 blue for my bolero camper,there's an outer silver ring [plastic] which has to be removed to change the bulb if needed ,would like to know how to remove this outer ring, is there a clip or a lock to take it off?please help.
It requires Allen key, doesn't it ?
Old 9th January 2011, 20:28   #4674
BHPian

Guys, need some technical advice here.

Below is the light setup for my gypsy :

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_7656.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-020920101241.jpg

The thing is i have successfully burnt 2 fuses after this setup. I have no idea what relay was used what wiring was used and what fuses were used. Last night i had turned it on for sometime and it just melted the fuse and the fuse box.

I have decided to re configure the complete system or throw away the hella 550's.
1. Does anyone have any idea what and how many relays am i supposed to use ?
2. What should be the amp rating on the fuse ?

PS: I do not use it extensively nor for a long period of time.
PPS : any reputed mech for this job ? I need someone who knows what he is doing
Old 9th January 2011, 23:33   #4675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post

1. You have to use relay of wattage slightly more than the total wattage of all bulbs. For example I have fitted 130/100watt bulbs in my car so I used 200w relay for both bulbs as I could not find 150w relay and cannot power both bulbs from single 200w relay either as in high beam total wattage will be 130+130=260w.

2. You have to pair the bulbs power line as single line cannot handle all of your lights, I mean you can have a really thick wire but then fuse will obviously melt. So pair bulbs in say one fuse per set of 2 bulbs. You can use 30Ah fuse for each pair.

If you give me wattage of each bulb and your battery Amps rating I can make a wiring diagram for you

One thing is sure you have to have either a big battery (those used in diesel vehicles of 60Ah and more) and bigger alternator also even if you don't intend to use these lights for long. These lights will eat away any normal 35Ah battery.
Old 10th January 2011, 00:34   #4676
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Guys, need some technical advice here.

Below is the light setup for my gypsy :

The thing is i have successfully burnt 2 fuses after this setup. I have no idea what relay was used what wiring was used and what fuses were used. Last night i had turned it on for sometime and it just melted the fuse and the fuse box.

I have decided to re configure the complete system or throw away the hella 550's.

I would suggest you get one bosch relay and one fuse per light or use two in one relay (DPDT) but with two fuse(one per bulb) .
it will need thinner wire and smaller fuses(10amp for a 50w). will run the total system cooler and there will be better redundancy in the system. you can connect the lower ones to one switch and upper ones to another instead of one switch for all.

Where do you go with this amount of lighting?

Last edited by gigy : 10th January 2011 at 00:38.
Old 10th January 2011, 10:46   #4677
Senior - BHPian

Lights not switching off

Guys, I had a peculiar problem: Have fitted a 100/90 bulbs with relay (Hella) and after some time driving at night when i put "off" the lights from the stalk control (drivers RHS) the bulbs remain "on" I solved the problem by driving some few feet forward and then the bulbs went off. Probabaly the vibrations of the short drive induced the relay to cut off the bulbs.

Anyone else faced siilar issues???
Old 10th January 2011, 11:24   #4678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
1. You have to use relay of wattage slightly more than the total wattage of all bulbs. For example I have fitted 130/100watt bulbs in my car so I used 200w relay for both bulbs as I could not find 150w relay and cannot power both bulbs from single 200w relay either as in high beam total wattage will be 130+130=260w.

2. You have to pair the bulbs power line as single line cannot handle all of your lights, I mean you can have a really thick wire but then fuse will obviously melt. So pair bulbs in say one fuse per set of 2 bulbs. You can use 30Ah fuse for each pair.

If you give me wattage of each bulb and your battery Amps rating I can make a wiring diagram for you

One thing is sure you have to have either a big battery (those used in diesel vehicles of 60Ah and more) and bigger alternator also even if you don't intend to use these lights for long. These lights will eat away any normal 35Ah battery.
Thanks for the info. Im not sure about the battery ampere. Ill get back as soon as i check the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
I would suggest you get one bosch relay and one fuse per light or use two in one relay (DPDT) but with two fuse(one per bulb) .
it will need thinner wire and smaller fuses(10amp for a 50w). will run the total system cooler and there will be better redundancy in the system. you can connect the lower ones to one switch and upper ones to another instead of one switch for all.

Where do you go with this amount of lighting?
AFAIK, theres only 1 relay for all the lights (4 on tap and 2 in front) and thats the reason for burning.

This vehicle is used only for off road purpose.
Old 11th January 2011, 09:31   #4679
BHPian

Hey Friends,

I have a couple of questions regarding auto-lighting which I want to clarify. Sorry if they sound stupid.

1. I am looking to upgrade by Punto's Stock bulb. It comes with 60/65 watt ones. Some have suggested not to put in relay or 90-100 bulbs bcos that will void the warranty. Hence I need to know how good are Osram Night Breakers and Philips Xtreme Vision. How is their performance? Which ones to choose between them? How much to do they roughly cost?

2. (This is the stupid one ) How do some car headlights have the Bluish tinge inside? Is it some Bulb that contribute to this effect? Does this bulb emit the Bluish white light which is considered useless in rains under the yellow street-light?

Please help me understand the above 2 things.

Thanks and lot.
Old 11th January 2011, 10:12   #4680
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Hey Friends,

I have a couple of questions regarding auto-lighting which I want to clarify. Sorry if they sound stupid.

1. I am looking to upgrade by Punto's Stock bulb. It comes with 60/65 watt ones. Some have suggested not to put in relay or 90-100 bulbs bcos that will void the warranty. Hence I need to know how good are Osram Night Breakers and Philips Xtreme Vision. How is their performance? Which ones to choose between them? How much to do they roughly cost?

2. (This is the stupid one ) How do some car headlights have the Bluish tinge inside? Is it some Bulb that contribute to this effect? Does this bulb emit the Bluish white light which is considered useless in rains under the yellow street-light?

Please help me understand the above 2 things.

Thanks and lot.
1) You will need to install relays so that they can withstand the high power output of these bulbs. Most cars come with relays, but some wont work for higher rated bulbs. Installing relays wont void the warranty. If you cut the existing wires, then it will void the warranty. Nowadays, all these come as plug n play devices so you dont need to cut the wires. You can connect these to the existing wires without cutting them. Philips is always better here and they perform well. Although, dont expect 70-80% more light as they advertise. They will perform much better than stock headlights. These will come around 1.5k which includes bulbs, relays, wiring kit and ceramic holders. You will need to install ceramic holders, since these withstand the high temp from the higher rated bulbs. Normal holders will melt in the long run.

2) These are from the bulbs. They have a blue coat inside to add to the bluish effect as seen in HID bulbs. But remember, these bulb wont have the same effect as seen in HID's. Only a small tinge of bluish light will be produced.
Since only a tinge of blue color is emitted, it wont affect much in rain. For the best visibility, you should stick to 4300k color temp bulbs. I use 4300k HID's in my Swift.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks