Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2011, 16:27   #4756
KMT
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Headers- Thanks for the steer on pencil beams, I will go for the driving lights.

Digital Vampire- I am based in Oz and will be buying them off an ebay dealer. They appear to be available mainly/only in the US. If you are travelling there just buy them off Amazon and get it delivered to someone who has an address there.
Old 22nd February 2011, 13:59   #4757

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
Thanks Doc, this is good to know. I was aware H1 and H7 are of same size so can be used interchangeably. I guess the only diff is black tip. I was under the impression that H1 is mainly used as a fog bulb, so should be available in less wattage.

OT - thanks for your help on the diesel engine oil suggestions. My car, after the oil change is much better than earlier. Not as though as it was when new.
Hey Amit,
Thanks for the advice on the bulbs, man. Just like you said, got the stock bulbs in the Manza replaced with two pairs of H7s (80W Philips ones) last week. And the throw of light is way longer. Feels nice to ride in the night now.
Old 22nd February 2011, 21:56   #4758
Senior - BHPian

PROJECTOR FOG LIGHTS PONTIAC GRAND AM PRIX TRANS AM - eBay (item 380214500047 end time Mar-06-11 17:39:44 PST)
or
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OEM-A...ht_3416wt_1165

Planning to use one of these as fogs in my Baleno. Is it feasible? Do I require any mod to fit these in?

Last edited by wanderernomad : 22nd February 2011 at 22:00.
Old 22nd February 2011, 22:25   #4759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Planning to use one of these as fogs in my Baleno. Is it feasible? Do I require any mod to fit these in?
Do not waste your time or money on ordinary stuff that do nothing to improve lighting.
Wait and wait and wait again till you can get hold of the ones mentioned below.
Nothing else in this price range will improve your lighting and I am not talking about glare like you get on the TATA ACE. Also note that these come with easily available H1 spare bulbs.
Susquehanna MotorSports - Auto Performance Product

IF your pockets are real deep then save some more and get hold of the LED lighting mentioned below but make sure never to use it in the city. It will totally and completely blind oncoming traffic for more than a few seconds which is enough time to cause accidents. These are strictly for off road and rally use and never for the city. Please note that the best 130 watt halogen bulb outputs 3100 lumen at 2900 degres kelvin color temp and your best HID kits available in India output about 3600 lumen at 4300 kelvin color temp and these monsters output 40,000 lumen at about 5500-6000 kelvin colour temperature. I did not err on the zero's after 4. Hence the warning "Never use it on oncoming motorists"
Litestorm Extreme

Last edited by drpullockaran : 22nd February 2011 at 22:45.
Old 22nd February 2011, 23:32   #4760
Senior - BHPian

dr am not looking to blind oncoming traffic at all. Merely interested in lighting upthe road better especially highways. Baleno lacks fogs and hence I thought of buying these projector types of an audi. Will they not improve the lighting any bit?
Old 23rd February 2011, 11:52   #4761
BHPian

Quote:
dr am not looking to blind oncoming traffic at all. Merely interested in lighting upthe road better especially highways. Baleno lacks fogs and hence I thought of buying these projector types of an audi. Will they not improve the lighting any bit?
You can consider Hella Micro De Fogs which are projectors comes with a pair of H3 12v/55W halogen and wiring harness including relays on a price tag of 4.5K. This is also not vehicle specific model so it can be used on any cars without much modifications.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-p2008103115134565.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-dsc08581.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-h13090611dia.jpg

Last edited by sajjt : 23rd February 2011 at 11:56.
Old 23rd February 2011, 11:59   #4762
BHPian

Quote:
Fogs by design are for seeing the road about 10 meters up to the front and sides only. If you drive in foggy conditions then go for it but if not then you should get auxiliary driving lights mentioned in the previous link. For highway driving choose between Spots and Driving lights. Choose spots only if you travel above 120 kmph constantly. Those Hellas mentioned are available in Spots, Driving and Fog versions. Take your pick. I would always suggest High beam driving lights. What ever you buy make sure the bulbs are either H1, H7 or H3 as these are the only ones that are easily available in India. H4 is commonly available but not for your intended use.
Old 23rd February 2011, 16:28   #4763
Senior - BHPian

Previous link means the post by sajjt above for the hellas, right?
Old 23rd February 2011, 17:47   #4764
Senior - BHPian

Experts,

May be this query doesn't belong to this thread, but was not sure where to put it.

I was willing to add illuminated scuff plates for the footsteps to my Vista. First of all, is this at all possible? 2ndly, who can do the job?
Old 23rd February 2011, 18:22   #4765
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Experts,

May be this query doesn't belong to this thread, but was not sure where to put it.

I was willing to add illuminated scuff plates for the footsteps to my Vista. First of all, is this at all possible? 2ndly, who can do the job?
It is definitely possible. Take it to any accessories shop and they can get it done. It is pretty common in many shops nowadays.
Old 23rd February 2011, 18:25   #4766
BHPian

Quote:
Previous link means the post by sajjt above for the hellas, right?
I was talking of the link provided by me. The link posted by SAJJT of the MicroDE does not have a version other than fog lamp. You need the driving lamp version or the Euro beam version which will suit your purpose better. For highway driving at sedate speeds you need auxiliary driving or euro beam headlights. Go to the Hella USA site and have a look. Fogs as mentioned before are good for near field vision and will not help you in highway jaunts.

The 120mm Hella projectors are not easily available but it will be worth your while if you can get it from abroad. Try to get hold of a unit with lens of at least 10cm and above when buying projectors if you cannot get the 120mm Hella's. The cost for 2 pieces works out to about Rs 8500/-.

IF you cannot get hold of the 120mm projectors then the least that will serve your purpose is mentioned below.

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=127

Last edited by drpullockaran : 23rd February 2011 at 18:34.
Old 24th February 2011, 23:38   #4767
BHPian

Wagon R extra lighting

Got another pair of Chinese DLAA fog lamps for front top today, making it the fourth and final addition. Its definately not as good as Hella but delivers brilliantly for what its worth.

Would not be using the stock MGA fogs any more which though costed 3500 were preety useless other than adding to the space.

The top pair costed 2200 and the bottom one 1200, plus 600 for two relays and 100 fitting charge. No fuse installed. Hope its going to work fine without fuse?

Another point i would like to mention is that have went back to the original colour yellowish headlight bulb as the Osram/Philips cool blue whites were not helpful during foggy conditions.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-fog-day-view.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-wagon-r-dlaa.jpg  

Last edited by San Phrangmung : 24th February 2011 at 23:55.
Old 25th February 2011, 12:21   #4768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
I was talking of the link provided by me. The link posted by SAJJT of the MicroDE does not have a version other than fog lamp. You need the driving lamp version or the Euro beam version which will suit your purpose better. For highway driving at sedate speeds you need auxiliary driving or euro beam headlights. Go to the Hella USA site and have a look. Fogs as mentioned before are good for near field vision and will not help you in highway jaunts.

The 120mm Hella projectors are not easily available but it will be worth your while if you can get it from abroad. Try to get hold of a unit with lens of at least 10cm and above when buying projectors if you cannot get the 120mm Hella's. The cost for 2 pieces works out to about Rs 8500/-.

IF you cannot get hold of the 120mm projectors then the least that will serve your purpose is mentioned below.

Susquehanna MotorSports - Auto Performance Product

Nice update Dr, surely 120mm will offer better low beam spread, but taking into consideration that these are dedicated beam projectors, this can't be easily mounted to a normal car as the size of the projector is too massive, 124mm width (4.78") and 200mm(8.5") length! Nowadays new gen cars have very little space for extension behind the HL assy. May be its more suitable for a SUV HL assy than a car HL assy. Else, have to think of bixen projectors but are we satisfied with a bixenon projector's high beam? Being with a Bixen projector for more than 1 year am still jealous about the dedicated high beam reflectors as it can offer better beam spread than a bi xen can do. It cant be compared just because of its pencil beam abilities. Bi Xen projectors are too good for low beam but when it comes to high beam, its a disappointment as we all are pampered with reflector based headlights

Now after seeing your link for 90mm high beam module from Hella , my mouth is watering, it could be a killer setup and price wise also justifiable once it can be a hand carry luggage from US. But for me its a big no as its not feasible in my present car

BTW, Hella Micro De is designed for low beam as well as Fog purposes as per Hella site:

DE auxiliary lamps, a Hella innovation, are ideal for low-beam and fog lamp use. DE technology uses an elliptical reflector to directs the light source to a focusing lens which bundles it and projects it onto the road. A shield positioned between the reflector and the lens provides precise cutoff.

Lamps are offered in halogen and Xenon versions, and their small size makes them perfect for most vehicles.

Drivers | Hella USA and Canada
Old 25th February 2011, 13:44   #4769
Senior - BHPian

Hella H71010241 Optilux Model 1202 12V/55W Blue Lens Rectangular Halogen Fog Lamp Kit
Amazon.com: Hella H71010241 Optilux Model 1202 12V/55W Blue Lens Rectangular Halogen Fog Lamp Kit: Automotive

I have picked this up for the Baleno. Hope it will be adequate for now.
Old 2nd March 2011, 12:30   #4770
BHPian

Hey guys I am getting my swift Vxi next month. I am looking to fit all LED tails for my swift. Any idea about the pricing and where I can get the tail lamps? All help appreciated.

Cheers,
Kaushik

Most Viewed