Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2011, 20:58   #4711
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
okay folks, I have a question here. Has anybody meddled with (upgraded) the lighting of Hyundai i20? the A.S.S guy has always been discouraging me into upgrading saying reflectors would start browning out etc.. But I have seen i20's with some amazing lightings (probably HID kits). Anybody has any insight into this?

Thanks in advance.
There are mixed reactions when it comes to higher rated bulbs. You basically have three options.

1) Same wattage, but branded kits.
2) Higher rated bulbs (90/100w)
3) HID's

Some say using 90/100w cause darkening of the reflectors. But most of the fellow members have been using it and havent faced any problems.

HID's would be a good option since it emits very less heat. The only disadvantage if the price. It starts from 8k.
Old 27th January 2011, 08:39   #4712
Senior - BHPian

Hai TBHPers,

I have two spot lights on my Scorpio crash guard, Hella Comet 500's. It has a white plastic hood with the Hella logo and I've a rexine hood which ties doen at the bottom.

The swith is in the cluster near the A/C, press it and it's on. When I opened it on Sunday for cleaning found both the glasses cracked, the white plastic Hella cover has melted. Obviously during my Bhuj trip it must have got on during day time and the heat has cracked the glass / lens and melted the cover. The spots are working all right, but light output is poor, the glasses would fall appart any time now, only held together by the plastic cover and the hood.

Checked with the Hella dealer and also at ther HO at Chandigarh, said lens individually is not availabe, have to buy lamp set for Rs.4.5 K again!!! I would be grateful for any lead on the glass or any idieas to keep the present one alive.

Thanks in advance.

--Ramky
=======
Old 27th January 2011, 09:05   #4713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus. View Post
Try 90/100w bosch bulbs which can sort out the visibility problem.You would need to add relay to get these bulbs on. Buy from Authorised Bosch stores. It costed me 125 per bulb in Bangalore and they really last long.
Eh? 125? Can you post pix of the cover? I bought 90/100 for 85Rs /bulb and its printed 85 or so on the pack even!

And last week I moved to Philips Rally 90/100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Hai TBHPers,

I have two spot lights on my Scorpio crash guard, Hella Comet 500's. It has a white plastic hood with the Hella logo and I've a rexine hood which ties done at the bottom.

Thanks in advance.

--Ramky
=======
Was it the stock bulbs or you changed to more powerful ones? Hella IMHO, should last if the kit was original.
Old 27th January 2011, 10:09   #4714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Eh? 125? Can you post pix of the cover? I bought 90/100 for 85Rs /bulb and its printed 85 or so on the pack even!

And last week I moved to Philips Rally 90/100.

Was it the stock bulbs or you changed to more powerful ones? Hella IMHO, should last if the kit was original.
It was all original, no changes, even the wiring and relays came with the kit. Will try to post pictures of the damage. Thanks.
Old 27th January 2011, 12:45   #4715
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
.. lens individually is not availabe, have to buy lamp set for Rs.4.5 K again!!! I would be grateful for any lead on the glass or any idieas to keep the present one alive.
@Ramky, pls check online for lenses sold in US. You may get lucky. Else, Hella Rallye 500FF's are available at less than 4k a pair.
Old 27th January 2011, 13:24   #4716
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Ramky, pls check online for lenses sold in US. You may get lucky. Else, Hella Rallye 500FF's are available at less than 4k a pair.
Will do, thanks.

I'd rather exhaust all options on 2nd hand market before investing around 4 K.

---
Old 27th January 2011, 16:39   #4717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
You can stick with stock wattage or go in for 90/100w. For this you need to install relays. ceramic holders and proper wiring. I would recommend Philips brand. You have many bulbs from Philips that offers white light. But kindly note that these bulb wont produce pure white light as bright as HID's (like you see in BMW, Audi, Merc etc). There will only be a slight difference in the output. These will have a tinge of white color.
For that pure, bright white light output you will need to install HID's.

Cheers.!
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Cityvic, like I said in my earlier post, get Philips Xtreme Power. They are awesome. No change will be required to the car, the old bulbs will just be swapped with the new ones as the voltage and wattage is the same. The light is brighter and whiter with longer throw. After my last post, I was so impressed with these bulbs that I went and got the bulbs changed in my other car as well.
Philips also makes a range of regular, halogen bulbs that produce white light called Crystal Vision, I think. But they will be no brighter than your regular bulbs - just white light. Again no change is needed to the car.
Disclaimer - I am not associated with Philips in any way.

Thanks alot guys.

Will be going in for the XTREME power then.
Old 27th January 2011, 18:55   #4718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are mixed reactions when it comes to higher rated bulbs. You basically have three options.

1) Same wattage, but branded kits.
2) Higher rated bulbs (90/100w)
3) HID's

Some say using 90/100w cause darkening of the reflectors. But most of the fellow members have been using it and havent faced any problems.

HID's would be a good option since it emits very less heat. The only disadvantage if the price. It starts from 8k.
Naveen sir -- Good information. I wouldn't mind going for HID's - Question is - Is it going to void Warranty? If no, Suggest any good place in Bangalore? Any reference (fellow i20 owners who have done this?)?

Thanks again.
Old 28th January 2011, 20:18   #4719
BHPian

Hi BHPians

Need advice to replace stock bulbs in my 2010 Tata Safari GX. I think the stock headlamps are tad ineffective in crowded traffic. I don't want to go HID or any other arrangement that will affect my wiring (cutting etc). Can the gurus suggest me plain headlamp replacement to increase the lighting. Also I wanted to know the wattage of stock bulbs of Safari. How about Osram night-breakers/cool blue/ Philips extreme? Which of them are the best? Or any other brand? OT, what is wiring harness and why it is used?

Thanks

Last edited by sheelz : 28th January 2011 at 20:33.
Old 29th January 2011, 12:07   #4720
BHPian

Quote:
Genuine Philips bulbs wont conk off that easily. Many of my friends are using Philips rally bulbs and it's still working fine for them. Make sure that the relay is installed properly. Faulty relay connections can damage the bulb. Also, since it's the high beam that's going off, I seriously doubt that there's something wrong with the connection.
Did you use branded relays, ceramic holders and wires for this setup? If not, that's the reason.

Cheers.
I have been using 90/100 Philips Rally with Roots relay for over a year now. Never had problems with the high beam but had to replace one or the other bulb at least 3-4 times due to lower beam conking off.
Old 29th January 2011, 16:39   #4721
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Naveen sir -- Good information. I wouldn't mind going for HID's - Question is - Is it going to void Warranty? If no, Suggest any good place in Bangalore? Any reference (fellow i20 owners who have done this?)?

Thanks again.
Anytime dude.
Installing HID's wont void the warranty as long as you dont cut/tamper the existing wires. HID's would be an easy install. The HID's will be housed on the existing headlight assembly and connected to a ballast which is connected to the battery. There will be two ballasts. One for each bulb. These ballasts should be placed securely in the engine bay. Check photo

I have seen N number of cars running on HID's in Blore. As for the shops, you can check out "Evo" at Ulsoor lake. No personal experiences with shops in blore since I get all my stuff done in Cochin. You could ask fellow blores bhpians "Xryder" or "Sportsmind". Am actually installing side skirts and front windshield sun films from Blore in 2 weeks.
All the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelz View Post
Hi BHPians

Need advice to replace stock bulbs in my 2010 Tata Safari GX. I think the stock headlamps are tad ineffective in crowded traffic. I don't want to go HID or any other arrangement that will affect my wiring (cutting etc). Can the gurus suggest me plain headlamp replacement to increase the lighting. Also I wanted to know the wattage of stock bulbs of Safari. How about Osram night-breakers/cool blue/ Philips extreme? Which of them are the best? Or any other brand? OT, what is wiring harness and why it is used?

Thanks
To increase your lighting you can go for higher rated bulbs (90/100w). Nowadays, installing bulbs are just plug n play units. So no cutting is required. Same for the HID's, its just a plug n play unit.
Think the stock Safari runs on 55w bulbs (am not sure on this, hope fellow safari owners will help you on this). I have personally used Osram Cool blue before and was completely satisfied but I would always recommend Philips since many of the members have a positive feedback on the brand.
Wiring harness is basically a bunch of wires coupled together. This is for easy plug n play installation and to decrease the installation time. No cutting required for this harness. Hope this helped you out.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img00179201101261548.jpg  

Old 3rd February 2011, 11:31   #4722
BHPian

I have bought an Ohc Vtec.I am planning to change its stock headlight and taillight.I was thinking of projectors with led in front and led's at the back.I have gone through numerous posts but haven't found anything that goes with he look of the car.I would love to hear from you people about the HID design for the front and if you can can give suggestions for the rear which would look best for the Vtec and even if you want to PM me with the photos or any other information it is welcomed.Thanx
Old 3rd February 2011, 11:41   #4723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelz View Post
Hi BHPians

Thanks
I have installed Narva 100/90 , cool white on my Safari . The performance is decent .The bulbs as others are just plug and play . But IMHO the performance of Osram Nightbreakers was much better . Going to get them changed back to Osram NB . The only difference between the two is the difference in the whiteness . The Osram NB being utter white , while the Narva being Yellowish White .

Philips extreme is kind of OK , better than the stock bulbs but nowhere close to the others .

I am yet to try the Hella Rally Lamps with Relay . Shall keep updated
Old 3rd February 2011, 19:12   #4724
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHC VTEC View Post
I have bought an Ohc Vtec.I am planning to change its stock headlight and taillight.I was thinking of projectors with led in front and led's at the back.I have gone through numerous posts but haven't found anything that goes with he look of the car.I would love to hear from you people about the HID design for the front and if you can can give suggestions for the rear which would look best for the Vtec and even if you want to PM me with the photos or any other information it is welcomed.Thanx
I havent seen any readymade projector kits for OHC. The best thing you can do is directly fit HID's or retro fit Projectors onto your existing headlight assembly.
Old 3rd February 2011, 19:40   #4725
BHPian

Quote:
I havent seen any readymade projector kits for OHC. The best thing you can do is directly fit HID's or retro fit Projectors onto your existing headlight assembly.
Thanx naveen.raju.After going through numerous forums i found this as the best design for the front but still have not found a good match for the rear..what do u think about this?
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-lamp1.jpg  

Last edited by OHC VTEC : 3rd February 2011 at 19:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks