Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2018, 10:59   #10861
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep959 View Post
1. I do not want to go for HIDs.
2. Halogen lamps and Yellow lights.
3. Want to upgrade both High and low beam.
4. Ready to spend upto 10-12K.
5. I'm looking for good illumination which will give me confidence in night drives on highways.
Why don't you try PHILIPS LED Ultinon.
You need stretch a bit on your budget and it should suffice all your requirements.
These are available in AMAZON.IN
Best part is this is plug and play easy retrofit.

Cheers
Old 8th January 2018, 20:39   #10862
BANNED

Can anyone suggest me for head lamp upgrade for 2013 Innova? I am struggling highway driving with OE headlamps now. Also want to know is it safe for head lamps reflectors and front cover if I upgrade (extra heat generates?)
Thanks in Advance.
Old 24th January 2018, 10:55   #10863
BHPian

Having owned a Honda City for so many years and considering the pathetic light output, I've taken the plunge and ordered the Morimoto D2S 4.0 kit from TRS. in addition to this, i wanted to have a simple DRL setup, just a single strip running across the bottom of the headlight(read: pre facelift Skoda Octavia). I had also ordered these from TRS, but they are magically out of stock now, with me having place the order in the last week of Nov-2017 and my items not been shipped yet (its the last week of Jan-2018), let alone delivered. Is there any DRL (LED strip) available here (preferably in chennai) that are super Bright and Reliable?
Old 25th January 2018, 10:15   #10864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnaik View Post
Can anyone suggest me for head lamp upgrade for 2013 Innova?

As a common practice, & most advised upgrade on the forum will be using Philips Extreme Vision, for all bulb types.
They come at 60/55W max (H4). But much brighter than the stock 60/55s. Would cost around Rs. 1100 a pair (H4). No relay required in this case.

If still not satisfied, You can also try to further upgrade to 100/90w setup using a reliable relay (Bosch, hella etc).
Ensure to use ceramic holders if you are opting for 100/90's, they will come with the relay anyways. Cost comes almost the same (Relay around 800 to 900 & around 300-450 for bulbs). Both are DIYs.

Even higher till 130w bulbs are available, but not tried. Wont recommend either. Make sure you have a powerful battery .

Innova has large reflectors, so heat generated by 100/90 setup should not be a problem. Once your upgrade is done, ensure to have the headlight beam alignment done to ensure proper throw of the light beams & your purpose is solved.

Last but not the least, put Auxillary lights from Hella, KC, lightforce etc. etc.

Regards,
Saurabh

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 25th January 2018 at 10:24.
saurabh2711 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 15:12   #10865
BHPian

Can anyone suggest me for head lamp/bulb upgrade for 2015 Scorpio S10.?
is it feasable to upgrade/retrofit to LED Bulbs without altering any original wiring etc?
Old 29th January 2018, 01:21   #10866
BHPian

Had put Osram H7 in my Polo as high beam and local H7 for low beam, both are aesthetically very pleasing as my car has the led daytime running lamps with matrix indicators, but their throw is not satisfactory and I am also blinded by oncoming traffic, any suggestions are welcome as I have a trip starting Saturday.
Old 29th January 2018, 20:32   #10867
BHPian

Okay, I have posted on this particular thread before also and I am still confused about what should I do to increase the headlight throw and illumination for my Fluidic Verna 2012. Someone suggested to go for replacement of stock bulbs to Osram/Philips 55/60W bulbs.

But I have one more problem, offlate, one of the vehicle's headlight has started getting moisture deposited on the glass surface from inside. I've checked the seal and the seal cap is intact. Although, once my car had a minor accident on that particular side and the headlight kind of broke from the area where it connects to the body. I suspect, fogging is after effect of accident.

Now, my query is that since sooner or later, I'll have to replace the headlight, and considering I am not happy with the output of current one. What kind of replacement should I go for? With so many option available in the market, can someone suggest me some good budget friendly option?
Old 31st January 2018, 12:08   #10868
BHPian

I drive a 2006 swift. Off late i feel that the OEM light bulbs are inadequate for highway driving. I was wondering if I could replace them with LED lamps (headlamps and fog lamps). I am not keen to spend a lot on them but I would definitely want better visibility. I did some research and found some options - Philips H4 LED for headlamps, Philips H8 for fog lamps and Philips 127996KX2 for position lamp. But these seem to be quite expensive. Can anyone suggest some alternatives. I would prefer plug n play LED lamps.
Old 31st January 2018, 15:00   #10869
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrules View Post
I drive a 2006 swift. Off late i feel that the OEM light bulbs are inadequate for highway driving. I was wondering if I could replace them with LED lamps (headlamps and fog lamps). I am not keen to spend a lot on them but I would definitely want better visibility. I did some research and found some options - Philips H4 LED for headlamps, Philips H8 for fog lamps and Philips 127996KX2 for position lamp. But these seem to be quite expensive. Can anyone suggest some alternatives. I would prefer plug n play LED lamps.
Since this is an old car+you don't want to spend much: If I were you, I would simply put a relay kit and higher wattage bulbs like 100/90W. In fact, I use this set up on my Zen for more 6-7 years and I find them more than adequate for all sorts of driving. I seldom need to switch to Hi-beam. Low beam is more than enough itself.

LEDs will cost more plus you have concerns about the lighting adequacy in conditions like fog, oncoming traffic lights, rains, etc.

Go for relay holder kit and Philips Rally bulbs with eyes closed. Will cost you 1.5K at the max.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 16:01   #10870
BHPian

Quote:
I drive a 2006 swift. Off late i feel that the OEM light bulbs are inadequate for highway driving. Can anyone suggest some alternatives. I would prefer plug n play LED lamps.
Other than what Saket suggested, you also need to check if your headlamp lenses/reflectors are clear since they are aged. A powerful bulb will increase brightness but the result won't be as it should unless your headlamp assembly itself is not spic and span. People tend to overlook this key aspect when assessing their headlight effectiveness. Give it a look into.
Old 31st January 2018, 16:27   #10871
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
If I were you, I would simply put a relay kit and higher wattage bulbs like 100/90W.
Do you use Philips H4 Halogens or Philips Rally H4? Also which relay kit do you use?
Old 31st January 2018, 16:57   #10872
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you use Philips H4 Halogens or Philips Rally H4? Also which relay kit do you use?
Philips dont manufacture these bulbs anymore; some one else is manufacturing under the license from Philips

I used Philips Rally H4 and Philips relay kit in my Ertiga. The kit is pretty solid, no issues observed. But bulbs got fused in less than 6 months of usage. Both the bulbs fused when I was flipping between high and low pretty fast to attract the attention of another vehicle while overtaking in a 4 lane highway ( not at the same time luckily).

Last edited by arjithin : 31st January 2018 at 16:58.
Old 31st January 2018, 19:03   #10873
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Philips Rally h4. The relay kit is by Roots. Includes the wiring, fuses and the ceramic holders. All plug n play.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 20:28   #10874
Senior - BHPian

Short review on my new Xtreme Power Plus - Definitely an improvement over stock, though not the mindblowing upgrade that the hella 500ff was.
Old 1st February 2018, 01:40   #10875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Philips dont manufacture these bulbs anymore; some one else is manufacturing under the license from Philips

I used Philips Rally H4 But bulbs got fused in less than 6 months of usage. .
Not really sure about the manufacturing license transfer by Philips.
Never heard anything like that.

Also I think still they have the original Philips authenticity check code on each genuine bulb pack, which can be verified on Philips website to check whether the bulb is original or not.
But what I have also felt is that unlike the Xtreme Vision/ Blue Vision bulbs that have the made in Poland/Germany wordings embossed on the bulb rim, Rallys are mostly made in China or some similar Asian countries.

But that doesn't mean that they are low in quality.
Even if they are made in China, I believe the manufacturer is still Philips and I don't think they will go down on their production quality standards.

I have been using Philips 100/90 Rallys in different cars for the past 7 years and I have only replaced 2 blown units in the past 5 years.
I frequently do the quick flashing that you have mentioned during night drives, but that by itself has never caused the bulbs to blow.
Just to be on the safer side I periodically replace the older ones after around 3 years of usage, even though they are not fused.

But your case of H4 Rallys getting fused frequently is something which I can relate to.
I had experienced this same issue in my old zen, and after changing a couple of Rally bulbs within a span of 5-6 months, I got fed up and consulted an auto-electrician.
He suggested me that the issue is not with the bulbs, but with the wiring kit.
I was using a PMP heavy duty kit then, and he told me that the connectors & wires inside the ceramic holders have gone bad, and that is what is causing the bulbs to blow.
He suggested me to replace it with a new Philips wiring kit, which I did, and thereafter the bulbs never got fused till the time I sold off the car.

Wiring kit was the last thing I would have suspected on my own, but the technician diagnosed it correctly.
So who knows, may be something like that would have happened in your case too.

In any case, I am pretty sure that other factors remaining clear and trouble-free, Genuine Philips Rallys won't blow out so fast.
This is something that I have learned from my own experience.
The problem is most probably something else within our car itself- not the bulb.
VinodDevil81 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks