Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2012, 22:48   #5791
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
I'm not planning to use halogens in projectors. I don't want to touch my headlights. I'm looking for additional lights that can be mounted on the bumper or using brackets.
Could you suggest specifics when it comes to Hella/philips?

This is what I'm targeting for now (halogen) - Ironman 4x4 Vega 220.

It uses H1 bulbs. I'm thinking I can source good HID H1 bulbs online. But I haven't seen anyone fit projectors to additional lights.

So the question really is does Hella/Philips and any other branded manufacturer sell ADDITIONAL/AUXILIARY lights like those being made by Lightforce or Ironman? They need to come with HID AND projectors.

I just took another look at the pictures on their respective websites and noticed that neither of these lights (Ironman nor Lightforce) shows the use of a lens in the images for their HID lights so that makes these light just the same as using a HID without projectors right?

The other worry is that search results for lightforce hid kit throws up many search results... but ironman hid kit get zilch :( So what is the difference? Will I not be able to replace the bulb for a hid bulb in the case of Ironman?
I would suggest you get any run of the mill aux lamp which takes H3 bulbs. HID upgrades are easy to find in H3 configuration. And most Aux lamps sport H3 bulbs. You don't need to run behind specific brands. Neolite is a good brand, but cheap. Also, in aux lamps, there is no real need to get a projector. These lamps are not going to be used as low beams. You turn these on when the headlamps don't suffice. So stick to regular HID retrofits.

The only thing to keep in mind is that HID capsules are longer than their halogen counterparts in almost all base types. So make sure that the lamp you buy has enough clearance between the base and lens. Else the HID capsules wont fit.

Another option, if you're up for some Out of the box DIY is to procure two round headlights. Preferably meant for bikes. Sort out a mount for these (Very Easy!), get H4 HID retrofits and you have a superb HID aux lamp setup with dual beam configuration. Since they're meant for bikes, weather seals will be upto the mark as well. And once you install HID, they'll be blindingly bright. Forget the projector if you're going Aux. I'm guessing you won't be driving around with these turned on all the time.

Even if you get Lightforce/Roolite etc., its illegal to turn these on within city limits. They're primarily for off road use. I remember reading someplace that its even necessary to have the cover on while within city. But I doubt its enforced.

If you feel that nothing but a projector will suffice, look at the Hella Micro DE. They're very efficient. Its 4000 odd for a pair in halogen trim and 26k odd for HID with clear lens. The HID type is D2S.

To answer your previous question, you can revert to original bulbs without removing the relay setup. All the relay does is to establish a direct connection between the battery and lamp thereby reducing the load on the vehicle's OEM wiring. It doesn't matter what bulb you use. You are just modifying the current route. Nothing else.

If you're patient, I will be doing a DIY on exactly this; ie Aux lamp with HID retrofit. I am on a complete lighting upgrade mission Have done a DIY on HID fog lamp upgrade. Just finished a DIY (pending upload) on 100/90 conversion with weather sealing. Next in line is the Aux Lamp.

Last edited by Tassem : 16th January 2012 at 23:00.
Tassem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 09:19   #5792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post

The only thing to keep in mind is that HID capsules are longer than their halogen counterparts in almost all base types. So make sure that the lamp you buy has enough clearance between the base and lens. Else the HID capsules wont fit.
Ah, so that could explain why the Lightforce lights have a lot of HID kits but the Ironman doesn't?
Approximately how much longer are the HID for each type? 20%?

You're right, I will use them only when the headlights aren't sufficient. I'm looking forward to your DIY and will try to be patient

I don't plan to install a crash guard. So the lights have to take a few bumps if necessary. That's the reason I'm looking at tougher lights. Lightforce claims their lights are unbreakable. That's the reason I'm looking at these lights. But I think both of these use H1 bulbs. Is there a Hella that uses H3?

Do you have an opinion on the kits/lights sold on this site? I've seen them advertise on this thread before. Haven't seen any reviews though.

P.S. Very useful information, Thanks again!
I'm impressed with your post to thank you ratio! Awesome!
Old 17th January 2012, 18:34   #5793
BHPian

Quote:
Approximately how much longer are the HID for each type? 20%?
That depends entirely on the bulb to be honest. H3 is usually the smallest and its HID counterpart is almost 2" longer. But H4 bulbs have a smaller difference. H1 is also quite small but has a base which holds the bulb further into the reflector. Again the difference will be lesser. 90% of HID lamps are the same length. The only exceptions will be D2S, D2R etc.

Quote:
You're right, I will use them only when the headlights aren't sufficient. I'm looking forward to your DIY and will try to be patient
I should have a working sample in a couple of weeks. I had plans of getting it done this weekend but I have a wedding to attend in kerala.

Quote:
I don't plan to install a crash guard. So the lights have to take a few bumps if necessary. That's the reason I'm looking at tougher lights. Lightforce claims their lights are unbreakable. That's the reason I'm looking at these lights. But I think both of these use H1 bulbs. Is there a Hella that uses H3?
Ideally you'd need a strong base to mount any light else you'll have a lot of unwanted vibration. Also the lights need to be secured as I've heard stories of them being stolen when parked unattended.

As for the claims of being unbreakable, take them with a pinch of salt. In the event of a collision all lamps will give up the ghost. But stone chips etc. won't hurt a lightforce. Not that they'll hurt cheap lamps. A good example would be the local cabs in bangalore. A good percentage of them have aux lamps that are not even mounted securely. Yet they last, and manage to blind all of us!

Pay attention to the mount and base. They need to be very strong at the same time slightly flexible so that its not brittle and can handle vibrations.

The Hella Rallye 500, Rallye 4000, Micro DE etc uses H3 bulbs.

Quote:
Do you have an opinion on the kits/lights sold on this site? I've seen them advertise on this thread before. Haven't seen any reviews though.
I haven't tried that site and hence can't comment. Which light are you referring to? If you're getting something exotic, make sure spares are available in India easily. Else it'll be a pain later on.

Quote:
I'm impressed with your post to thank you ratio! Awesome!
You're too kind. Thank you
Old 19th January 2012, 11:35   #5794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Without relays? I dont think that would be a great idea. Even when using relays, I have seen many of friends car's headlight smoked. I wouldnt recommend using higher wattage bulbs without relays. If you dont want relays upgrade to a better brand of the same wattage. A slight improvement can be expected. Any particular reason for not going for relays? Scared whether it will void the warranty? Then not to worry. It wont do any harm as long as you dont cut the wires.
Hello Naveen,
I just like keeping my vehicle stock and nothing else. but now as you suggest i will surely add relays along with higher wattage bulbs.
let me know if these bulbs are OK (link below from ebay)?

100% Original Philips Rally Car Bike Xenon Headlight Bulbs Bulb H4 100/90W~2 Pc | eBay

I am in pune, how much do you think this complete setup (bulbs, relays, wiring kit) will cost?
thanks for your feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
You could buy same wattage but a lower temperature set.
But like naveen asked ,why not a relay change?
Same wattage philips xtreme vision bulbs also gave me good results in my A-Star. but i wanted to try higher wattage bulbs now with good setup.
there was no specific reason but just like the car more stock without much of mods.
Old 19th January 2012, 12:00   #5795
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
Hello Naveen,
I just like keeping my vehicle stock and nothing else. but now as you suggest i will surely add relays along with higher wattage bulbs.
let me know if these bulbs are OK (link below from ebay)?

100% Original Philips Rally Car Bike Xenon Headlight Bulbs Bulb H4 100/90W~2 Pc | eBay

I am in pune, how much do you think this complete setup (bulbs, relays, wiring kit) will cost?
thanks for your feedback.
There are many bulbs from Philips. Am not sure which is better.Hope others can shed some light on this. There's a discussion here on which bulbs from Philips are better. You can check the previous posts on that. The entire setup will come to around 1k. I had previously used Osram Cool Blue (100/90) which came around 1.2k. Performed well but I used only for a couple months before moving to projectors.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 14:54   #5796
Senior - BHPian

Can someone help me out with this. I called up Hella Kerala and they say that the Following models are available here.

1. FF 200 - Rs.7500
2. FF 50 - Rs.5800
3. Black Magic 500 - Rs.7212

I want to use them as driving lights during nights as the headlights of my Ford Figo are not very useful. Want to know which one of these would be better for night drives.

My preference.
  • Dont want those huge fitments in front. Want the light needed for night driving at the least possible size.
  • Would prefer the budget to be around 7K
  • Want to be able to drive with the OEM fogs and these lights turned on and use the OEM headlights only on rare occasions that necessitate its use.

What would you guys suggest. I know about the micro versions from hella. But not sure if they would give sufficient enough light for my use.

HELP.
Old 19th January 2012, 17:29   #5797
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Can someone help me out with this. I called up Hella Kerala and they say that the Following models are available here.

1. FF 200 - Rs.7500
2. FF 50 - Rs.5800

I want to use them as driving lights during nights as the headlights of my Ford Figo are not very useful. Want to know which one of these would be better for night drives.

My preference.
  • Dont want those huge fitments in front. Want the light needed for night driving at the least possible size.
  • Would prefer the budget to be around 7K
  • Want to be able to drive with the OEM fogs and these lights turned on and use the OEM headlights only on rare occasions that necessitate its use.
What would you guys suggest. I know about the micro versions from hella. But not sure if they would give sufficient enough light for my use.

HELP.
I use FF75 on my Gypsy. It is a fog light not meant as long throw driving light. I just experimented yesterday and it is only good when focused slightly downwards not parallel. Very useful together with low beam and especially while climbing down ghat sections. I streaked like a hare down from CastleRock to Ponda last month along the hair pin bends - with absolute confidence, thanks to the lights.

For driving lights that throw a beam straight ahead, you should consider at minimum FF500.(3600/-) Together with the regular driving lights and FF50 all switched on, it should be adequate. I was able to run at a consistent 110kmph on NH4 at night with these, when I switched them off I was scared to go above 80.

HTH
--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 19th January 2012 at 17:33.
Old 19th January 2012, 23:44   #5798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post

1. FF 200 - Rs.7500
2. FF 50 - Rs.5800

The price quoted (at least for black magic) is very high. It is not more than 6k in Bangalore.
For driving lights, you should look for hella 500 or 700 series. Check this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...500-ff-12.html
Old 20th January 2012, 00:58   #5799
BHPian

Any idea about the cost of Hella Rallye 4000 & 4000 Compact? And also the 3000 series.

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 20th January 2012 at 01:00.
Old 20th January 2012, 10:49   #5800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
Any idea about the cost of Hella Rallye 4000 & 4000 Compact? And also the 3000 series.
Check here.
Shop4Hella.com - AUXILLIARY LIGHTS

Alternatively, you can call ADD-ON shop in JC Road, to be precise Siddiah Road. He has the best range of Lightforce & Hella Lamps along with Competetive price too
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 11:06   #5801
Senior - BHPian

Update.
My CIVIC with FX-R Projectors.
FX-r 1.1 Bi-Xenon Projectors
Morimoto 35W D2S Bulbs
Gatling Gun shrouds

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-dscn4415.jpg

Left Indigo with 130/100 Halogens, Right my Civic with FX-r (both Low Beams)
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-dscn4456.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-dscn4362.jpg

Low- Beam - FX-R
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-dscn4385.jpg

I have replaced the Morimoto H1 mini Projectors with FX-R Projectors.
Thanks Anoop (Digital-Vampire) for helping me out in getting this Morimoto things done, Though it was a messy job I know but those 2 days were cumbersome. Once again thanks for all the effort you put on my headlights & also for Gyan.

Joice Willi (litessence) for helping me out in fitting the FX-R projectors.
For both of you I'm whole heartedly thanking you for the efforts you put in my car.
sushrutha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 11:11   #5802
Senior - BHPian

Thats excellent lighting mods . how much did the projectors set you back ?
Old 20th January 2012, 14:18   #5803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Thats excellent lighting mods . how much did the projectors set you back ?
Thanks.
Most of the items were brought from THE RETROFIT SOURCE.
Please check here for more info on the products & pricing.
The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications
Shipping was saved as the products were shipped into a US address.
Old 20th January 2012, 15:45   #5804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
I use FF75 on my Gypsy. It is a fog light not meant as long throw driving light. I just experimented yesterday and it is only good when focused slightly downwards not parallel. Very useful together with low beam and especially while climbing down ghat sections. I streaked like a hare down from CastleRock to Ponda last month along the hair pin bends - with absolute confidence, thanks to the lights.

For driving lights that throw a beam straight ahead, you should consider at minimum FF500.(3600/-) Together with the regular driving lights and FF50 all switched on, it should be adequate. I was able to run at a consistent 110kmph on NH4 at night with these, when I switched them off I was scared to go above 80.

HTH
--Ragul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
The price quoted (at least for black magic) is very high. It is not more than 6k in Bangalore.
For driving lights, you should look for hella 500 or 700 series. Check this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...500-ff-12.html
THanks a lot. FF 500 is too big and round for my liking. I love those oval shaped ones. The ones simmilar to those that came on my Fiat Adventure. What attracted me to the black magics are the compact size. I thought i could even try to fix it into the bumper. The Figo bumper is very close to the radiator and there is minimal space available.

Are Black Magics Driving Lights? The price i mentioned was as quoted by the Hella person in cochin. If this is high where should i be looking for a good deal.

Last edited by gemithomas : 20th January 2012 at 15:46.
Old 20th January 2012, 17:21   #5805
BHPian

Illegal Non OEM Lights - who is responsible?

If change to non OEM lighting on cars are illegal in the eyes of the law, who bears the responsibility for abysmal OEM lights of 90% of the cars?

Given our apology of roads and street lights, dont the manufacturers have any responsibility in providing better lighting than having cute headlamp designs? European cars have lighting and horns to suit their ambient lighting & conditions.

What are our custodians of public safety doing any way beyond fleecing the public?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks