Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2011, 20:49   #5641
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
I too have a crack in my headlight base and looks like I can use this to fix it.
BTW do we get Silicon gel at a hardware shop? or would that be available at car shops? Any particular brand to buy? Any images of how it looks?
Yes, you should be getting this at hardware shops but I havent noticed this here. I saw this when I was abroad but didnt get this. I got this fixed in my local car accessories shop. I dont have any pics. It will look somewhat close to candle wax. If you find it difficult to get the idea, I can take a pic. Let me know.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2011, 21:10   #5642
BHPian

Yes I have a can of silicon sealant which i bought from the local hardware store at 110 rs . They use it to keep water out of aluminum siding windows from outside owing to its waterproofing abilities . Used it to seal my m800 type 1 tail light a little unsuccessful there though .
anky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2011, 21:32   #5643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Yes, you should be getting this at hardware shops but I havent noticed this here. I saw this when I was abroad but didnt get this. I got this fixed in my local car accessories shop. I dont have any pics. It will look somewhat close to candle wax. If you find it difficult to get the idea, I can take a pic. Let me know.
Thanks for all your help.
The reason I asked for a name/image is that I may have seen the same in a hardware shop but may not have noticed it as Silicon gel .
Sometimes things are right in front of you and still go un-noticed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anky View Post
Yes I have a can of silicon sealant which i bought from the local hardware store at 110 rs . They use it to keep water out of aluminum siding windows from outside owing to its waterproofing abilities . Used it to seal my m800 type 1 tail light a little unsuccessful there though .
Can you pls share the name/image (if possible)?

Last edited by f1fan : 10th November 2011 at 21:33.
Old 11th November 2011, 01:15   #5644
BHPian

Re: The Hella Experience - 500 FF

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
I am planning to install aux lamps for driving at night on my Vista. I went to Nana Peth, but most of the shopkeepers insisted I install a bullbar in the front for the lamps.

I have identified two lamps one the HellaFF50 and the other the Neolite (image below).
Attachment 836789

My idea of installing it is in the Front bumper (image below). Please advise how I could get this done. Any installers in Pune that you know of will also help.

Attachment 836790
As advised by Condor in another thread the placing is too low to make a difference to my lighting. I was trying to think of other places and I am hitting a wall everytime as I will have to install a bullbar, which I dont want to do.

Please help as the VitM earmarked for this is fast depleting in other expenses!
Old 11th November 2011, 02:03   #5645
BHPian

Re: Xylo - Auxiliary Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
Hello Friends,
since long I have been wanting to put front auxiliary lights on my White Xylo. The ready-made bull guards didnt appeal me and the purpose wasnt any protection (I know, read on lots about the perceived protection and cons of chassis damage!). Actually I wanted a stand wherein lights could be fitted, and that being the sole objective. I even went to ask some if they could get it custom fabricated, but none could.
friends, kindly put forward your suggestions; I need to collect the fabricated bar in few days.

Mods: kindly allow this Bump as expecting some valuable tips from members.

thanks,

Last edited by mobike008 : 11th November 2011 at 14:13. Reason: Pls dont quote large posts
Old 11th November 2011, 10:36   #5646
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post

Can you pls share the name/image (if possible)?
You can get the brand Dr. Fixit from Pidlite. I am sure you would have heard this name many times.

I checked out with the local harware shop yesterday. MRP RS 145/-, but selling for Rs 130/-. I think there are 3 types - White, clear and Black.

I think we need to buy a gun also along with it. This was charged at Rs 135/-.

Luckily or unluckily, they didnt have silicon gun in stock. So i am planning to pick both on saturday.
ArunV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2011, 00:20   #5647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArunV View Post
I have installed philips rally 100/90 headlights with Hella relay.
Got it done from Sachin's autoshop and he charged me 1100/- including installation.

They made a hole in the cover to let cermaic holder in. They said that there is a small chance of water going.. is there any way we can seal it completely?

please help
Usually they do a good job with stuff. secondly, it is never recommended to cut open the domes. Though chances of water seepage is small, water just needs a small orifice to flow

Get them to seal it with the silicon gel of which they would have stock of (May not even require buying) Else - Rainy season is over so you need not be all that worried, at least for now.
Old 14th November 2011, 13:13   #5648
BHPian

Hi all,

I have a 3 month old ANHC , and i have been finding the headlights inadequate for night driving , even in the city. Did some browsing around earlier posts, and decided on upgrading the bulbs to Philips X-Treme Vision 60/55w . But i cant find these bulbs in any shop around Marathahalli . Any info on where i can get them in Bangalore?

Whitefield Honda now have only Osram night breakers in stock. How are they compared to the Philips XV?

Thanks.
Old 14th November 2011, 17:16   #5649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Usually they do a good job with stuff. secondly, it is never recommended to cut open the domes. Though chances of water seepage is small, water just needs a small orifice to flow

Get them to seal it with the silicon gel of which they would have stock of (May not even require buying) Else - Rainy season is over so you need not be all that worried, at least for now.
Shubz, i am not so happy with the quality of work that they did with the dome. He was planning to make holes big enough for the holder to go in. For one i asked him to make a small cut on the side and pass the wire through that instead of passing the whole holder through the dome. But for the other one, he insisted on making a big hole.

I managed to seal the small one will silicon sealant. But still trying to find a way to seal the big one. May be i need to close the hole with some tape and then apply the sealant on top of that.

I have 2 long trips planned next month and hope i find a way to close it before i start.
Old 14th November 2011, 17:31   #5650
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Xylo - Auxiliary Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
\

Recently, one search resulted me to a mfg for guards, carriers etc; having a workshop in Uttan, Bhayander. I managed to make him understand my idea and that would finally materialize in below shape.

Note: Images are randomly picked from googling (not my actual vehicle's pic) and modded in PaintBrush only for explanation of the design/concept.

The base rod would be 35" long and 1.5" diameter, which would be clamped to chassis as usual. This would have welded slots for Neolites lights (pocket doesnt allow Hella!): the upper side ones for bigger clear color 10xx/11xx and 2 in bottom center for bit smaller yellows. Care would be taken not to hinder the number plate. All would be chrome finish and the cost quoted for fabrication alone is Rs.1500. I have given OK to this guy and would be ready to fix in a week's time, preferably on Sat since I have an off.

Experts, let know your valuable feedback on this setup.

The lights I would choose would be round and not rectangle, just to match the overall curvy shape of the vehicle. Suggestions most welcome also for Light models.

Pranav
Pranav - Yes round should be the way to go for the Xylo.

The Rod shown by you extends beyound the lights at the two extremes, since you are customizing it would make sense / look better if you simply had a light at each end (Brackets right at the two ends.)

Try to go for Hella if you can- Proven in the field.
Old 15th November 2011, 21:49   #5651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
Hi Vikash49,

Thats a phenomenal improvement in lighting! Thanks a lot for sharing this, From the pics, it looks like the lights are as good as 100/90. If these do not need additional wiring / relay, they are absolutely worth the money!
I wouldn't say these are as good as 100/90 but definitely a great improvement over stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Is this x vision an improvement product over the x power 80+? I mean are both available or has the x vision replaced the x power:?
X-treme Vision +100 is a new product and slightly better than X-treme Power +80.

However, with the launch of X-Vision, the X-Power has been phased out. You should still be able to find both versions in some shops though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
Hi all,

I have a 3 month old ANHC , and i have been finding the headlights inadequate for night driving , even in the city. Did some browsing around earlier posts, and decided on upgrading the bulbs to Philips X-Treme Vision 60/55w . But i cant find these bulbs in any shop around Marathahalli . Any info on where i can get them in Bangalore?

Whitefield Honda now have only Osram night breakers in stock. How are they compared to the Philips XV?

Thanks.
I had a good experience with the Philips X-Treme Visions recently on my New Honda city. Read my review here..

New Honda City - Headlights Upgrade

As for availability, since these are recently launched it might take a little searching to find them. Maybe this will help:

Philips Automotive Lighting - Where to Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
Guys,

Any idea where i can find such kind of SMD LED lights which are used as parking bulbs, Preferably in Bangalore or from an Indian online shop?
Hi there,

Just got delivery of the T10 LEDs. Look great and well built. Will post a hoto once I install them tomorrow.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-t10-leds.jpg

Last edited by vikash49 : 15th November 2011 at 21:52.
vikash49 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2011, 00:19   #5652
BHPian

Recently upgraded my friends Indica Vista from Stock to 90/100, this was done w/o upgrading the relay. The person at the shop convinced us that it was not required for Vista as the stock wiring and relay(20A) was good enough to handle it and also that it had clear lens headlamps, which would not be affected.

Recently when I spoke to a person at Bosh service center, I told him that we wanted to change the relay for the Vista, but he said that it was not possible to do it.

Has anyone done this for their Vista here? Would like to hear from the experts on this.

Last edited by ranjithpd : 16th November 2011 at 00:36.
Old 16th November 2011, 01:00   #5653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjithpd View Post
Recently upgraded my friends Indica Vista from Stock to 90/100, this was done w/o upgrading the relay. The person at the shop convinced us that it was not required for Vista as the stock wiring and relay(20A) was good enough to handle it and also that it had clear lens headlamps, which would not be affected.

Recently when I spoke to a person at Bosh service center, I told him that we wanted to change the relay for the Vista, but he said that it was not possible to do it.

Has anyone done this for their Vista here? Would like to hear from the experts on this.
My friend has it in his Vista.Although the wiring is good enough but you never know. To be on the safer side (especially if your car is in warranty - it may get void if the wires are damaged) you should install the relay.Even otherwise it is highly advisable to go in for it.

You don't need to change the relay but it is an added equipment which supplies the power to the headlamps from the battery directly.
Relay's come with 2 fuses' and 2 ceramic holders (Very high probability that the existing holders melt after long use) that are well capable of bearing the heat and the current required for these bulbs.No wires are cut.

You will get it around Rs.550 (Minda or Roots or Hella).

An image from existing t-bhp posts.
k2max6 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2011, 01:00   #5654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjithpd View Post

Firstly I dont quite understand how you can put a 90/100 on a Vista. I say this because the Vista has a two bulb,H1 (high beam) and H7 (low beam) setup. the 90/100 (or 100/90 as it is called) refers to a H4 bulb. You just cannot replace the H1 or H7 with a H4, because the holders are different.

This tells me that the shop keeper pulled a fast one on you. Also, whatever he told you is to say the least. There is a reason why the manufacturers have a 55 W rating. Why will someone put a 20A relay when a 10A-15A will do the same.

Also, on the Vista, in highbeam both High and Low work together, which means it pulls about 220W, if you put in 100W bulbs the power drain will be 400W. The heat generated is enough to melt the holders, creating a short circuit.

As an example I have put below the temperatures what is generated by a regular halogen lamp at 12 inches (1ft).

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-table.jpg

I have taken this from Watts, heat and Light: Measuring the Heat Output of Different Lamps

Also, remember that in a car it is an enclosed space with little air loss.

Also, Amps = Watts/Volts.

so for a 55W bulb running of the 12V battery setup you have 4.58 Amps. So on High beam you have close to 18.3 Amps running though your car. (H1/H7 setup in Vista).

If you replace that with 100W bulbs you have approx 8.33Amps per bulb. So on Low also you are using close to 16.66Amps, and 33Amps on high.

You will end up burning the relay, leading to a short. Please remove this.

Also, the wires are not designed to carry more current based on this. To run a 100 (H1) 100 (H7) setup, you will have to change the Final harness to take that load, with a 40Amp Relay at least and an additional fuse.

Save your car (your friends) remove this setup and get a good harness made before you make such changes.

Last edited by torquecurve : 16th November 2011 at 01:25.
torquecurve is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2011, 08:57   #5655
BANNED

Is it true that all car lights have to become LED in a few years? When?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks