Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2011, 00:22   #5596
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Tried searching the forum for options but could not find any specific answers.

Here's my simple question :-

1. I want to upgrade my Punto's lights. What are my options?

NOTE: Not interested in going the HID way. Coz I don't want to kill the people coming in the oncoming direction!
Either you have not searched with the right keywords or the answer you needed must have been lost in too many search results.

Here's my simple answer :-

OSRAM night breaker plus available is almost all shops on JC road for Rs. 900/- to 1100/- per pair.

NOTE: I've tried Philips Diamond vision (white light), seen friend's car with philips extreme power(2nd option IMO) and now 3 of us have changed to the osrams. Very good lights I must say.

Edit: Don't you think your signature also needs an upgrade?

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 26th October 2011 at 00:29.
Old 26th October 2011, 09:36   #5597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Either you have not searched with the right keywords or the answer you needed must have been lost in too many search results.

Here's my simple answer :-

OSRAM night breaker plus available is almost all shops on JC road for Rs. 900/- to 1100/- per pair.

NOTE: I've tried Philips Diamond vision (white light), seen friend's car with philips extreme power(2nd option IMO) and now 3 of us have changed to the osrams. Very good lights I must say.

Edit: Don't you think your signature also needs an upgrade?
Actually there were too many results and I was like a lost child sifting through them all!

I am actually looking at higher wattage bulbs, What's your take on that? I am running a higher wattage setup on my Palio as well.

Osram NB's are white or are they closer to the yellow light? I'd prefer a yellower light because white is a pain in the rains and fog type conditions.

PS: The Punto is my folks car, Palio is still with me. Hope to move to Punto maybe next year!

EDIT: What bulbs is the Punto running? Tried looking through the manual hurriedly, but could not find it. Is it H4?

Last edited by praful : 26th October 2011 at 09:37.
Old 26th October 2011, 15:58   #5598
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Hey guys,

I am planning to add a pair of DRLs for my waggie sometime tomorrow. They are Philips branded, and the dealer say they cost around 1.5k/m. Is this the real deal?
A friend of mine said that he had installed cheaper LED DRLs in his car(not Philips) and water found its way into the light assembly during the monsoons, which led to a few of the LEDs not working.
Will this happen to all aftermarket DRLs? Or was it because my friend bought the cheaper alternative? Please advice, as you know it rains a lot here in kerala, and I don't want to end up with a LED strip where only half the lights work.
Those will be LED strips and not DRL's. Philips DRLs will cost around 6k. Try the sites that I got the DRLs from. Although few LEDs in mine went kaput, it started working after a couple of days. These DRL's will be apt for our road conditions since it's not all that expensive. Dont go for the cheapest one, try the mid range models. It's working fine now for me. I got two sets now. Waiting to install the new one (slightly bigger than the present model).
Old 26th October 2011, 19:14   #5599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Hey guys,

I am planning to add a pair of DRLs for my waggie sometime tomorrow. They are Philips branded, and the dealer say they cost around 1.5k/m. Is this the real deal?
A friend of mine said that he had installed cheaper LED DRLs in his car(not Philips) and water found its way into the light assembly during the monsoons, which led to a few of the LEDs not working.
Will this happen to all aftermarket DRLs? Or was it because my friend bought the cheaper alternative? Please advice, as you know it rains a lot here in kerala, and I don't want to end up with a LED strip where only half the lights work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Those will be LED strips and not DRL's. Philips DRLs will cost around 6k. Try the sites that I got the DRLs from. Although few LEDs in mine went kaput, it started working after a couple of days. These DRL's will be apt for our road conditions since it's not all that expensive. Dont go for the cheapest one, try the mid range models. It's working fine now for me. I got two sets now. Waiting to install the new one (slightly bigger than the present model).
Here check this out and let us know if it suits you. http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...D-Lights.html/
Old 26th October 2011, 19:21   #5600
BHPian

Hi Friends,

Today I installed 100/90W Philips rally bulbs and just came back from a 30min test drive. First observations.
- Lighting is awesome in bright, much better illumination and reach.
- Reach remains the same in dim, but the illumination is much better now. Need to fiddle with the beam adjustment screws and see if I can improve it.
- Too much heating. After 30mins drive I couldnt touch and hold in the headlamp for more than 3-4 seconds. I am bit worried here.

I bought the whole kit (hella relay, wiring kit with ceramic holder + philips rally bulbs) for Rs.880/- (550+330) and spent Rs.100/- for installation. Not sure if the relay and wiring kit are original. This shop is listed in the hella website and he assured me that it is original.
Old 26th October 2011, 21:49   #5601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Ahh, ok. Well, the dealer quoted a much cheaper price than that, which is why I'm not sure if its genuine Philips stuff. Well, I postponed the DRLs, and got some DIY work done - I painted all my rims matte black ( mods i know this is , sorry)

I'll check out a few more places. or else turn to online shopping, Thanks for the tip Naveen!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Here check this out and let us know if it suits you. http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...D-Lights.html/
I checked it out, Thanks!! These look good, great find!!
Old 26th October 2011, 21:54   #5602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renjith Rajan View Post
Hi Friends,

Today I installed 100/90W Philips rally bulbs and just came back from a 30min test drive. First observations.
- Reach remains the same in dim, but the illumination is much better now. Need to fiddle with the beam adjustment screws and see if I can improve it.
- Too much heating. After 30mins drive I couldnt touch and hold in the headlamp for more than 3-4 seconds. I am bit worried here.

I bought the whole kit (hella relay, wiring kit with ceramic holder + philips rally bulbs) for Rs.880/- (550+330) and spent Rs.100/- for installation. Not sure if the relay and wiring kit are original. This shop is listed in the hella website and he assured me that it is original.
Hi Renjith,

I too have a 100/90W set up in my car(Osram, not Philips).
You don't need to worry about the heating. I have had the lights installed for the past 8 months, with lots of night usage, and no problems so far.

If the shop is mentioned in the Hella site, then it most probably is the real deal. Besides, the prices you have posted seem good, so don't worry.

Drive safe!!
Speed.Demon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2011, 06:25   #5603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renjith Rajan View Post
Hi Friends,

Which vehicle?

Even normal 90/100 Halogens are hot after a 30 min drive and one cannot hold it by hand.

Also, if wiring is done correctly, there is no need to worry much about the heat factor!
Old 27th October 2011, 13:23   #5604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Which vehicle?
Punto petrol (1.4 EP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Even normal 90/100 Halogens are hot after a 30 min drive and one cannot hold it by hand.

Also, if wiring is done correctly, there is no need to worry much about the heat factor!
Thanks guys, I spent couple of hours yesterday in TBHP and fiat forums. What I gather is the blackening (if it happens) is a slow process and the extra light/safety outweighs it.
Old 27th October 2011, 19:16   #5605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Actually there were too many results and I was like a lost child sifting through them all!

I am actually looking at higher wattage bulbs, What's your take on that? I am running a higher wattage setup on my Palio as well.

Osram NB's are white or are they closer to the yellow light? I'd prefer a yellower light because white is a pain in the rains and fog type conditions.

PS: The Punto is my folks car, Palio is still with me. Hope to move to Punto maybe next year!

EDIT: What bulbs is the Punto running? Tried looking through the manual hurriedly, but could not find it. Is it H4?
Osram NB+ are not close to white. They are yellow. and you will not get them in higher wattage other than the regular. For higher wattage bulb go for Philips or Hella. Even Osram has some higher wattage bulbs but not NB+
Old 27th October 2011, 19:20   #5606
Senior - BHPian

Ordered DRL - Day time Running LED Lights from varun .
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...D-Lights.html/ . Waiting for them to land here . Looks nice .

Has anyone installed the same ?

Last edited by black12rr : 27th October 2011 at 19:22.
Old 27th October 2011, 23:22   #5607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Ordered DRL - Day time Running LED Lights from varun .
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...D-Lights.html/ . Waiting for them to land here . Looks nice .

Has anyone installed the same ?
Please do post the results here once you receive/install them. Was looking for a DRL but was confused which one to go for. The Philips ones are stupidly expensive.
Old 28th October 2011, 11:29   #5608
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to upgrade the Manza high beams to a higher wattage than the current 55w,

Two Options

1. Fix Philips Xtreme Vision of the same wattage
2. Fix a higher wattage Philips Essential Power which comes in at 80w

Now do i require a relay and wiring for the 80w? i guess it would be safer, whats you guys take on this?
Old 28th October 2011, 16:41   #5609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
I am planning to upgrade the Manza high beams to a higher wattage than the current 55w,

Two Options

1. Fix Philips Xtreme Vision of the same wattage
2. Fix a higher wattage Philips Essential Power which comes in at 80w

Now do i require a relay and wiring for the 80w? i guess it would be safer, whats you guys take on this?
While the car may have a pre-installed relay, I'd still get one just to be sure. Its worth the peace of mind and doesn't cost a bomb.

You can also rest knowing that the bulb is not starved and the electrical system is not stressed.
Old 30th October 2011, 13:15   #5610
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys any idea as to where I can get 1141 12v LED lamps in Bangalore? The regular Bosch yellow bulb is available but I want white LED ones.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks