Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2014, 13:09   #8176
Senior - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
If budget is not an issue then i will suggest for HID setup. Or may be HID + Projector setup.
I would request you both to refrain from a HID setup without projectors.
Kindly always go for projector in case you want to upgrade to HID bulbs.
Sommos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 15:23   #8177
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

@Sommos; I tend to agree for Headlamps. Fogs are a different matter.
The reason for Headlamps is very simple - halogen filamanets are transverse to the bulb while the discharge zone in an HiD is along the bulb. So the source geometries differ. Of course the Altis has HID in the high end, but then the reflector geometry is different in the two variants.
Old 22nd May 2014, 11:22   #8178
BHPian

Hi Guys,

The stock headlamps on my new Grand i10 are woefully inadequate, both low and high beams. The throw is poor, as well as the spread. The amazing Bangalore roads make it much harder to drive in the night, and the poor lights can even make you miss poorly marked breakers and potholes!. Can anyone please recommend a good upgrade? open to 55/60 NB+ or any good Philips model. Don't want the flashy white/blue light, a slightly cooler temperature would be OK, but guess the yellow light works best for visibility.

Also, the fog lamps are practically useless. Please recommend a good upgrade for those as well.

Many thanks!
Old 22nd May 2014, 18:13   #8179
BHPian

Hi All,

Could you please share details of Philips authorised dealer in Bangalore.

I want to buy H4 bulb for headlight but not sure if I will get genuine product from nearby accessory shop.

Regards.
Old 23rd May 2014, 11:55   #8180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antardaksh View Post
Hi All,

Could you please share details of Philips authorised dealer in Bangalore.

I want to buy H4 bulb for headlight but not sure if I will get genuine product from nearby accessory shop.

Regards.
My bad, brain was saying something while my bad fingers were controlled by an occupied mind , what I meant to type was actually.

AK Traders
Address: 22/23, 1st Floor, Seethalakshmi Complex, 3rd Cross, Journalist Colony, Near-J C Road Circle, J C Road, Kalasipalayam, Bangalore, KA 560002
Phone:080 2670 7295

Apologies for my mistake and back to back post since I missed the window for editing the last post.
treadmark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 14:59   #8181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
After using Philips 100/90, my i10's reflector has started showing marks of melting .

Hence to prevent further damage, I am planning to get rid of relays and higher wattage. Currently for H4, Philips has 3 varities as per their site, WhiteVision (white light 4100K) , Xtreme Vision (100% more light but normal yellow light) and Bluevision(4000K, towards whitish light).

How would Xtreme vision perform as against 100/90? Especially on highways. Since the other 2 are more towards white light, I am not considering those since performance in rains is a question mark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I thought both Dodge_Viper and Kalinga were talking about the main headlamp and not the fogs, Sir.
Old 23rd May 2014, 21:43   #8182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bread View Post
does one have to drill holes on the sills for the wires?

No you don't need to drill any holes to connect the sill plate wires. Just need to dismantle the plastic cover near the door to pass the wires. Its a very easy installation process.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
lovecars21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2014, 21:21   #8183
BHPian

I currently use a 100/90 h4 philips rally. Plan to change to extreme vision 55/60. My ride is a swift relays installed. Any suggestions please help.
Old 25th May 2014, 00:39   #8184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecars21 View Post
No you don't need to drill any holes to connect the sill plate wires. Just need to dismantle the plastic cover near the door to pass the wires. Its a very easy installation process.

overall how are they? durable? do they actually serve the purpose of protecting the door frame from boot marks?
Old 25th May 2014, 06:15   #8185
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post
I currently use a 100/90 h4 philips rally. Plan to change to extreme vision 55/60. My ride is a swift relays installed. Any suggestions please help.
Changing from 100/90W to 60/55W setup will not be a problem and is a direct fit without the need of any relays etc. I am currently using Philips Xtreme Vision and very happy with them.

But can I know why are you coming to a 60/55W setup after using 100/90W? BTW what suggestions do you need?

Anurag.
Old 25th May 2014, 07:04   #8186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bread View Post
overall how are they? durable? do they actually serve the purpose of protecting the door frame from boot marks?

Yes they are very useful. Protection with elegance.

Old 27th May 2014, 14:59   #8187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post
You won't need to change anything to fit EVs on swift. EV will be a direct fit h4.

But there will be a considerable reduction in illumination when compared to your current Rallys, especially on highways.
Inside city, EVs and Rallys both are fine, but you will see the difference on open highways.

Can't figure out why you want to downgrade from Rallys to EVs.Is there any reflector/glass fading issue?

Last edited by VinodDevil81 : 27th May 2014 at 15:01.
Old 28th May 2014, 08:34   #8188
BHPian

I want to install projectors on my Rapid Ambition 2012.
I am in the US for the next 4 months.
Can anyone guide me as to what all stuff to buy so that I can get them installed when I am back in India?
Old 28th May 2014, 09:48   #8189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The reason for Headlamps is very simple - halogen filamanets are transverse to the bulb while the discharge zone in an HiD is along the bulb. So the source geometries differ. Of course the Altis has HID in the high end, but then the reflector geometry is different in the two variants.
The Halogen bulbs for fog lamps also have transverse filaments, unlike HIDs that have discharge zone along the axis.

So the scatter effect would be same by using HID in main haedlight or in fog assembly.
I have seen enough jerks in Tata Safaris/Scorpios/i20s in Delhi NCR with HIDs in fogs and blinding everyone.
It is definitely illegal
Old 28th May 2014, 09:53   #8190
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

@VineetG; you are correct except that a fog by its very nature designed for diffuse lighting, so the effect of the filament/discharge zone is very small, unlike a headlamp which has a far more focussed beam..
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed