Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2011, 08:52   #4921
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post
My Swift stock lights are not good for my highway driving. (I do around 12 hrs/300kms)of high way driving in the night in a month. hence looking for options.
In addition to the options you have listed. You could also go for better output bulbs in the same wattage. eg OSRAM nightbreaker or PHILLIPS Extreme Power. They fit into headlamp directly and require no modifications unlike the higher wattage bulbs. They are legal and just increase the light output. I think they would cost around Rs1000 for a pair.
Old 14th April 2011, 09:50   #4922
BHPian

Has anyone been able to buy Osram Nightbreaker Plus in Mumbai? I need the contact details as all mails to their contact email ids are just not answered by them
Old 14th April 2011, 10:40   #4923
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilxKnievil View Post
Sure Naveen. I will post some pics. I am going home for Vishu today after work and will be back on Monday. I will post them once m back.

By the way, forgive my noob mistake guys, the pics I have uploaded in my previous post are

Left to Right
----------------
1. HID @ 6000K with projectors(55W)
2. Same without projectors
3. i10 headlamp unit with projector installed (courtesy mxsmotosport)
No problem dude. Keep us updated on this. Would love to see your ride with those lights.

Quote:
My Swift stock lights are not good for my highway driving. (I do around 12 hrs/300kms)of high way driving in the night in a month. hence looking for options.
1. Upgrade the bulb to higher watts - Please provide some options which are easy for the pocket.
2. Go for additional lights to supplement head lamps and use this only in highway. Keep the stock bulbs as is and advantage is in the city I use this and do not affend the fellow user during my daily city driving. Question - Is there any head light supplements available? (NOT fog lamps as they are for fog and for shorter distance as I have observed in my swift fog lamp) If there are lamps of this category please suggest value for money option ones.

Thanks in advance.
You have different options here.
1) Stay with the stock wattage but different brands. These will have only a marginal increase in light output. You have Philips/Osram to choose from. You can use the existing setup and would cost around 300 bucks
2) Go for higher wattage. The ideal choice would be 90/100w. You will have to get the necessary addons for this. These include ceramic holder, relays, wiring kit. I had used Osram Cool blue before and it is far better than the stock headlights. Since you do a lot of night driving, this will heat up the headlight assembly. Constant use will eventually burn the reflectors. Although this is rare, many have reported this. The entire kit would come around 1.5k
3) HID's - These provide the best light output but when used without projectors, there will be a lot of scattering. I currently use HID's with projectors and feel these provide the best output. These will be expensive and will set you back by 7.5k (without projectors).
4) Aux lamps will provide excellent output too but needs few mod to the car to fit them. Also, these will be expensive.
5) Volvo headlights integrated to the fog lamps. Although this is not common, my friend installed this onto his swift. They provide excellent output but are expensive.

Since you are on a tight budget, I would recommend the higher wattage bulbs. You have Philips/Osram to choose from. The total cost for this setup would be around 1.5k
Old 14th April 2011, 12:15   #4924
BHPian

Quote:
Yes the i10 has issues with space when putting in HID kits ..... In fact, there is one more issue which I came across..... its about the fact that most other cars come with double wiring and i10 comes with single wiring which makes it technically difficult..... I donno how to xplain in detail ...
Can you elaborate on this? I couldn't follow that. Since I10 also share the H4 bulb like any other cars the wiring should also be the same.

Quote:
Although that said and done, I do have a swift running H4 Bi Xenons + H11 Xenons both burning @ 10000K on 55W ballasts ...... and they are housed in OEM headlamps with no projectors. I thought about installing projectors for the same, but realised that either the projectors available are for halogens and if the retrofit available is for swift's OEM, then there is a chance it may leave gaps in the fitting unless done perfectly. This may later lead to dust accumulation in the unit leading to more glare.
If you want to go for a economic retrofit, you need to open the HL assy and fix the projectors and almost all retrofit projectors are coming with enough HL glass sealants along with the package. Only thing is it should be done by an experienced one else chances of dust, water seepage like you said.

Quote:
It was an excellent unit, looked like it was built to last and had nice quality. But luck didnt favor me there as well for MARS kit of Suzuki Swift does not support H4 bulbs.

So the OEM bulb or H4 Bi Xenons does not fit in the MARS kit in case anyone is planning to buy it.
Dude none of the projectors can take a H4 bulb be it a Halogen or HID as the working principles are entirely different. H4 bulb has 2 filaments in case of halogen but if its a HID, it has only one capsule and with the help of an electro magnetic solenoid the capsule will move in & out, thereby changing the focus and dual beam effect is achieved. In a bi-xenon projector, a suitable single beam bulb will be the light source and the dual beam is achieved by the help of a shield which is moving up & down movement.

Quote:
Finally I gave up and came to the conclusion that if you want to be a responsible driver, drive low beam when there is oncoming traffic and all will be well. Usually what I have noticed is that when people see me coming from far, regardless of the car they are in, they automatically dim their lights as I come closer. It sure does put a grin on my face. Very rarely has anyone tried to put high beams against me. I still dont put high beams, so all is well...... no cops have caught me so far(Touchwood).
I respect your care and sense of responsibility for not to blind the others by using the low beam on most of the time. But to be honest, using HID on a non HID compatible HL assy you are not doing any justice to the oncoming traffic as its not limiting the glares even if you use the low beam. It will scatter the glares all over but not that worse in case of a HID on high beam. Like you said earlier the other on coming traffic is giving you the respect of dipping their lights irrespective of your beam, its a clear sign of your car is producing enough glares to think that your are in the high beam and they want you to dip your lights too even-if you are in low.

Take a wall projection on low beam and you will know what I meant. Keeping the HL level on the lowest position may reduce a bit but that will end up in compromising your safety and visibility.

Its a fact that HID on a std reflector assy cant give optimum or near to that spread, but mostly are famished by seeing its higher intensity. Very few of them will realize that the beam spread pattern is totally changed and not matching for an ideal driving conditions as the beam throw is shortened and the car is turned out to be a floodlight system rather than a driving lighting system. The reason behind is normal reflectors cant handle the higher intensity from a HID without glares as its designed to handle a less intensity oriented halogens. Beam spread and focus depends on the lighting source, filament orientation, glowing positions and not to mention the reflectors etc. and if we change any of these parameters the results will not be desired. Many of us have noticed when we upgrade the bulbs to higher wattage the beam spread pattern will also change slightly; its as simple as that. Add to that all HID conversion kits for a standard HL are illegal as it cant control the glares due to its high intensity.

Last edited by sajjt : 14th April 2011 at 12:19.
Old 14th April 2011, 12:24   #4925
BHPian

I want to change my vento's lights.
Can I go ahead with skoda's projector lights and HID kit ?
If yes :
1. Where I can fit them in pune/mumbai?
2. Any idea about the cost of Skoda's lights?

If no :
1. Which projector light/HID kit i should go for?

Also, i've seen some cars with yellowish HID kits. Where I can find them?

Thanks!

Last edited by mikon : 14th April 2011 at 12:27.
Old 14th April 2011, 13:03   #4926
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikon View Post
I want to change my vento's lights.
Can I go ahead with skoda's projector lights and HID kit ?
If yes :
1. Where I can fit them in pune/mumbai?
2. Any idea about the cost of Skoda's lights?

If no :
1. Which projector light/HID kit i should go for?

Also, i've seen some cars with yellowish HID kits. Where I can find them?

Thanks!
Fitting projectors onto your vento's headlight will be a tricky job. You will need bolt on projectors and fit them onto the existing HL assembly. Accumulation of dust and water seepage will happen if not installed properly. The projectors will come around 10k depending upon the brand.

You can also try to use HID's alone in the existing setup but this is not recommended as it will blind oncoming traffic and a lot of light will be scattered meaning most of the useful light will be wasted.

3000k HID's are yellow in color. Although this is not common in India, you can check out major accessories shops.
Old 14th April 2011, 13:32   #4927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Fitting projectors onto your vento's headlight will be a tricky job. You will need bolt on projectors and fit them onto the existing HL assembly. Accumulation of dust and water seepage will happen if not installed properly. The projectors will come around 10k depending upon the brand.

You can also try to use HID's alone in the existing setup but this is not recommended as it will blind oncoming traffic and a lot of light will be scattered meaning most of the useful light will be wasted.

3000k HID's are yellow in color. Although this is not common in India, you can check out major accessories shops.
Thanks naveen.
So what should i do to improve the lighting ? Just upgrade the bulbs?
Old 14th April 2011, 13:41   #4928
BHPian

Planning to install pair of Hella Rallye 1000 FF in my scorpio , which is the correct place to fix - front bumper or the roof .i have not installed front Crashguard / bumper .

would 700ff suffice or 1000ff is required , since 700ff is more compact.
Old 14th April 2011, 13:49   #4929
BHPian

[quote=naveen.raju;2313181]
5) Volvo headlights integrated to the fog lamps.

Did you mean the lights fitted on Volvo buses , infact i was also thinking of the same for my scorpio . any idea how much would be the cost for a pair?

It could be fitted on the front bumper with little mod and would actually look cool aswell.
Old 14th April 2011, 14:43   #4930
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks naveen.
Yes, upgrade to higher wattage bulbs.

[quote=rm_arjuna;2313556]
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
5) Volvo headlights integrated to the fog lamps.

Did you mean the lights fitted on Volvo buses , infact i was also thinking of the same for my scorpio . any idea how much would be the cost for a pair?

It could be fitted on the front bumper with little mod and would actually look cool aswell.
These came around 7k including higher rated bulbs.Here is a pic of the same. It's the blue Swift.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-dsc02464-640x480.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-dsc02470-640x480.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-imag0050.jpg  

Old 14th April 2011, 15:34   #4931
BHPian

hi naveen , how is the light throw / visibility . Is it wide spread or beam . the one's i have spotted during my night drives on volvo's were like a bright white beam . could you pls share the part # and the Bulb type xenon / hid !
Old 14th April 2011, 15:47   #4932
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
hi naveen , how is the light throw / visibility . Is it wide spread or beam . the one's i have spotted during my night drives on volvo's were like a bright white beam . could you pls share the part # and the Bulb type xenon / hid !
This wont replace the headlights at any time but does the job really well. My friend had told that he use only the fogs in city.
A pair of these T700 reflective units make 1 single headlamp unit for the volvos. These 2 T700units are held inside another casing. So these T700 units can easily hold 80W90 wattage bulbs with no problems whatsoever and easily fit into the custom front bumper. Philips 80/90 bulbs are used here.
Old 14th April 2011, 23:22   #4933
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. Upgrade the bulb to higher watts - Please provide some options which are easy for the pocket.
2. Go for additional lights to supplement head lamps and use this only in highway. Keep the stock bulbs as is and advantage is in the city I use this and do not affend the fellow user during my daily city driving. Question - Is there any head light supplements available? (NOT fog lamps as they are for fog and for shorter distance as I have observed in my swift fog lamp) If there are lamps of this category please suggest value for money option ones.

Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
In addition to the options you have listed. You could also go for better output bulbs in the same wattage. eg OSRAM nightbreaker or PHILLIPS Extreme Power. They fit into headlamp directly and require no modifications unlike the higher wattage bulbs. They are legal and just increase the light output. I think they would cost around Rs1000 for a pair.
I would recommend Osram night breakers ! It was 1300/- a pair and served me brilliantly. Those are rated at 55W [stock bulb wattage] and the claimed output is 100W equivalent. Let me tell you, the spread is beautiful ! Once my night breakers conked off, I switched back to normal ones and I had a tough time driving with those on for almost 2 weeks or so.

You can update to a higher wattage [100/90 preferred], but this will need you to upgrade your wiring / holders etc! And this is not legal also. In addition I guess for long night drives, the heat from the bulbs will be higher as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Has anyone been able to buy Osram Nightbreaker Plus in Mumbai? I need the contact details as all mails to their contact email ids are just not answered by them
You should be able to find this in any good auto accessories shops. Just dial one or two guys and you should be able to buy these. Else try and search for regional distributors and pick it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
Planning to install pair of Hella Rallye 1000 FF in my scorpio , which is the correct place to fix - front bumper or the roof .i have not installed front Crashguard / bumper .

would 700ff suffice or 1000ff is required , since 700ff is more compact.
Please note that the additional lights on the roof is illegal. You can fix it on the bumper I guess. I had seen a pic of a Safari owned by a fellow bhpian where the auxiliary lights were beautifully integrated onto the bumper. please see the below linky.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...-off-road.html

Quote:
Thanks naveen.
Since you own a VW, I would suggest you go with Osram night breakers [Have never tried Philips extreme power]. I have used it and found it excellent. This doesn't need any alteration as the bulb is 55W rated. The low beams of Osram night breakers are equivalent of the high beams of stock bulbs . If you upgrade to higher wattage, you will lose warranty on the electricals unless you get the work done in dealership itself. I would rather get a work like that done in a service center though its going to cost me extra bucks to have peace of mind.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 14th April 2011 at 23:40.
Old 15th April 2011, 13:22   #4934
BHPian

Hey thanks a lot!
I'll try that. I was also planning for yellowish HID kits. Lets see if I get my hands on any of them.
Old 15th April 2011, 20:24   #4935
Senior - BHPian

Okay after making the mistake of buying Philips Crystal (c**p) vision, I just changed to Osram NB Plus 60/55W today. Bought it for INR 1050 off Sachins Autoshop in Koramangala.

A note of caution to all the folks wanting to upgrade to HID. Do NOT use just HID bulbs with Ballasts without projectors. You may love the brightness but it would serve you no purpose for which it is designed for. Find someone who can retrofit a projector with HID's. There are many who will say "Oh its much better without the projectors, it is difficult or impossible to do it on your car etc etc" to push the HID bulb kit. My opinion though. Experts can advise better.

Last edited by Shubz : 15th April 2011 at 20:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks