Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2011, 01:08   #4936
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Okay after making the mistake of buying Philips Crystal (c**p) vision, I just changed to Osram NB Plus 60/55W today. Bought it for INR 1050 off Sachins Autoshop in Koramangala.

A note of caution to all the folks wanting to upgrade to HID. Do NOT use just HID bulbs with Ballasts without projectors. You may love the brightness but it would serve you no purpose for which it is designed for. Find someone who can retrofit a projector with HID's. There are many who will say "Oh its much better without the projectors, it is difficult or impossible to do it on your car etc etc" to push the HID bulb kit. My opinion though. Experts can advise better.
Looks like the Osram NB prices have come down !! Good news. With respect to the HID installation, the problem is with light scattering without a projector set up. But since I had it the normal way, I would say I had good lighting as well. I was in love with the spread I used to get near the bumpers on both sides. Even my fogs never had that wide spread.
Old 16th April 2011, 09:34   #4937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Looks like the Osram NB prices have come down !! Good news. With respect to the HID installation, the problem is with light scattering without a projector set up. But since I had it the normal way, I would say I had good lighting as well. I was in love with the spread I used to get near the bumpers on both sides. Even my fogs never had that wide spread.
Your satisfaction will be at the cost of others safety and happiness. If the light spread was better than fog near bumpers it is understood that glares were scattering everywhere without any control.Driving beam has got a specific controlled pattern which will not light up the kerbs too much and that's the reason people using fogs even there's no fog or rain as the fog lamps will light up the bumper area quite well.

When you are driving you may not notice it because of its
high intensity, instead, watch your low beam from a distance of min 50 mts you will realise that your head lights are turned out to be a flood light system. New generation headlights are using multi focal reflectors (MFR) for better beam spread from halogen bulbs which are 3 times lesser in intensity. If the HID is installed in a MFR HL assembly things will make more worse. Its very sad that most of the users are not even noticing the fact that the beam throw distance was reduced considerably thus affecting the long distance visibility and thereby compromising your own safety. HIDs on a standard reflectors will waste a good amount of light as glares which will blind the on coming traffic hence its considered as illegal.

Last edited by sajjt : 16th April 2011 at 09:41.
Old 16th April 2011, 09:51   #4938
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Okay after making the mistake of buying Philips Crystal (c**p) vision, I just changed to Osram NB Plus 60/55W today. Bought it for INR 1050 off Sachins Autoshop in Koramangala.

A note of caution to all the folks wanting to upgrade to HID. Do NOT use just HID bulbs with Ballasts without projectors. You may love the brightness but it would serve you no purpose for which it is designed for. Find someone who can retrofit a projector with HID's. There are many who will say "Oh its much better without the projectors, it is difficult or impossible to do it on your car etc etc" to push the HID bulb kit. My opinion though. Experts can advise better.
Hid's without projectors - always "No, No". It's a waste investing money on HID's without projectors. All the useful/visible light is wasted due to scattering. People actually go for these because of low budget and the 'bling' factor. Invest a bit more and get atleast a bolt on projectors if not the entire projector headlight assembly.
Old 16th April 2011, 19:35   #4939
Senior - BHPian

Anyone know where the Osram NB Pluses are available in Mumbai ?
Old 16th April 2011, 22:20   #4940
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Anyone know where the Osram NB Pluses are available in Mumbai ?

Osram Nightbreaker Plus has not been launched here in Mumbai and expected to be launched in May. It has been launched in the South Zone & Delhi.
Old 16th April 2011, 22:31   #4941
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiren View Post
Osram Nightbreaker Plus has not been launched here in Mumbai and expected to be launched in May. It has been launched in the South Zone & Delhi.
Is it a new variant or so ? Could anyone explain what is so different about the plus from the normal Osram NBs ? and is there a price difference as well ?
Old 17th April 2011, 06:57   #4942
BHPian

OSRAM|Consumer|Automotive Lighting|Products|Headlights|NIGHT BREAKER PLUS|index

NB+ is a new launch by Osram.
Old 17th April 2011, 21:29   #4943
BHPian

Is there anyone here who knows how to get this delivered to India. The dealer here in Cochin is clue less.

I am interested in NEO 1083 and Neo 1084 both of them being exemplary copies of the Hella units but costs much less.

Automotive Headlamps Manufacturer,Auto Head Lamps,Automotive Head Lamps,Auto Headlamps Manufacturer,Car Head Lamps,Automotive Headlamp Exporters
Old 20th April 2011, 18:42   #4944
BHPian

I intend to upgrade my 2006 Esteem's light systems. Can anyone suggest a suitable replacement/upgrade mainly for city driving and occassional highway driving. HIDs are out of consideration both from price point as well as compatibility point with an old model like Esteem. Installing relays are also not preferred option.
What would be the user rating on Philips Diamond Vision?
Does it come with both High/Low Beam bulbs?
Are sidelights also a part of the kit?
Can I have the foglight bulbs also replaced/upgraded?
Pls. advice.
Old 21st April 2011, 09:19   #4945
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tathagata View Post
I intend to upgrade my 2006 Esteem's light systems. Can anyone suggest a suitable replacement/upgrade mainly for city driving and occassional highway driving. HIDs are out of consideration both from price point as well as compatibility point with an old model like Esteem. Installing relays are also not preferred option.
What would be the user rating on Philips Diamond Vision?
Does it come with both High/Low Beam bulbs?
Are sidelights also a part of the kit?
Can I have the foglight bulbs also replaced/upgraded?
Pls. advice.
Since you are not looking for HID's and higher rated bulbs, the best bet would be bulbs of the same wattage but different brands. Philips would be the ultimate choice for you but there are different types of bulbs available from Philips.

I think Esteem would be using H4 bulbs means this bulb will have both low/high beam.

Sidelights wont be a part of the kit.

You can also try to upgrade your fog lamps by sticking to the same wattage but going in for a better brand.
Since you will be using the same wattage, expect only a slight improvement. But I can assure you that it will be better than the stock lights. I personally dont have any recommendations on the type of bulb from Philips to go for since I have only used normal bulbs from Philips that come along with my projector kit and used only for a couple of days. Hope others can help you on it.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2011, 11:04   #4946
BHPian

Quote:
I think Esteem would be using H4 bulbs means this bulb will have both low/high beam.
Yes this is what I have been told by the accessory shop guy.

Do we have sidelights from Philips too as Diamond Vision coupled with stock sidelights would look somewhat wired. Why I am quoting Philips is because the accessory shop near my office stocks Philips or Chinese products which I am not very confident about.

Would appreciate if you can suggest spec for bulb to be used for the fog lights.
Old 21st April 2011, 13:48   #4947
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tathagata View Post
Yes this is what I have been told by the accessory shop guy.

Do we have sidelights from Philips too as Diamond Vision coupled with stock sidelights would look somewhat wired. Why I am quoting Philips is because the accessory shop near my office stocks Philips or Chinese products which I am not very confident about.

Would appreciate if you can suggest spec for bulb to be used for the fog lights.
Am not sure whether they have it. I hope you are referring to the park lights. There are many bulbs available in the market today. You can try them. My friend is using 80/90w Philips bulb in the fog (Swift). You can try that or something with a reduced wattage. I would recommend something lesser so that you can avoid the use of relays.
Old 21st April 2011, 14:24   #4948
BHPian

Thank you very much naveen.raju

I should be getting the Philips Diamond Vision today evening. Cost approx Rs. 1200/-

Need to replace the entire foglight clusters as both the glasses have blown out. Trying to find a MGA in Kolkata. Once I get hold of the foglight cluster I will upgrade the bulbs as per your suggestion. Yes relays are absolute no-no for me.
Old 21st April 2011, 14:55   #4949
Senior - BHPian

Any recommendations for a 80W H7 bulb pair?

I find my current setup for Lo Beams which consists of 80W H7 bulbs from Narva to be a bit inadequate as its white in colour. Penetration of the light is a bit low in some conditions!

So I feel like moving back to yellow lights!
Old 21st April 2011, 15:14   #4950
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Any recommendations for a 80W H7 bulb pair?

I find my current setup for Lo Beams which consists of 80W H7 bulbs from Narva to be a bit inadequate as its white in colour. Penetration of the light is a bit low in some conditions!

So I feel like moving back to yellow lights!
Why dont you try Philips or Osram. I have used Osram for a couple of months and I really liked it's performance. Since you are looking for a better vision, white light is an absolute "No"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks