Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2012, 19:00   #6166
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
The idea seems to be very good. Are you sure you won't have to remove the lamps for some kind of maintenance work on the bumper. Won't it be big problem in such a scenario?
I hope it will not be required as there will be space enough to remove the cover on the top and do the normal maintenance like bulb change etc, without removing the base.

And if the base has to be removed, then it will be a big problem and that is the only way I know to make them secure. Any other sugestion will be more than welcome.
Old 12th June 2012, 17:35   #6167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xydon View Post
I was planning to upgrade the stock head lights to 90/100. I thought that this does not require a relay but the dealer says any upgrade to the stock required a relay. Is that right?

Also, would the holder melt if we use a 100/130?
What your dealer said is right.

If you upgrade the stock bulbs from 55/60 to 90/100 you would need a relay to hold the additional wattage.

I recommend not to move to 100/130 as it will darken the exterior of headlamps over a period of time.
Old 12th June 2012, 18:48   #6168
Distinguished - BHPian

@Xydon, the holder can melt even with 90/100. I am using ceramic holders for the 90/100 bulbs. But after about 3-4 years of use, insulation on the outside of the holder melted.
Old 14th June 2012, 22:09   #6169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008

What your dealer said is right.

If you upgrade the stock bulbs from 55/60 to 90/100 you would need a relay to hold the additional wattage.

I recommend not to move to 100/130 as it will darken the exterior of headlamps over a period of time.
Thanks mobike008.

Would you suggest upgrade to HID kit or 90/100?
Old 14th June 2012, 22:21   #6170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xydon View Post
Thanks mobike008.

Would you suggest upgrade to HID kit or 90/100?
If you don't mind, i can answer this one for you

With stock reflectors, I won't recommend anyone to go with HID's, if you really want to use them, you better get projectors along as in stock reflectors HID's scatter alot.

With stock reflectors, get yourself a good set of 90/100 bulbs along with a relay and if you wish you can add ceramic holder's with them too.

Cheers,
Sameer
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2012, 14:56   #6171
BHPian

I would not recommend 90/100 if your primary use is in the city, in fact I am planning to have the one on my scorpio removed shortly.

It certainly gives you good lighting and visibility, but its a public hazard especially in city as your primary light, as most driver in the on coming side will not be able to see properly, I used to curse those with 90/100 or bright lights when I used to drive my santro, now I realize people are cursing me :(.

I would recommend leaving the stock as is for city use and plan for HID or others that can be independently operated.
Old 15th June 2012, 15:25   #6172
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkumarlb View Post
I would recommend leaving the stock as is for city use and plan for HID or others that can be independently operated.
Agree with the first part, how do you achieve the second part? How about HIDs (2700/4300K) in the fog lamps for highway use.
Old 15th June 2012, 17:41   #6173
BHPian

Quote:
I would not recommend 90/100 if your primary use is in the city, in fact I am planning to have the one on my scorpio removed shortly.

It certainly gives you good lighting and visibility, but its a public hazard especially in city as your primary light, as most driver in the on coming side will not be able to see properly, I used to curse those with 90/100 or bright lights when I used to drive my santro, now I realize people are cursing me :(.

100/90 should not be a real problem in city for others if you get the headlights aligned properly and may be, you could keep cut-off highet adjusted to a little low. Use the hight adjuster switch to activate the motor to bring the cut-off lie up for your highway trips.
Old 15th June 2012, 18:22   #6174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
...how do you achieve the second part?...
I suppose your question was around "...that can be independently operated..."

Instead of connecting those to the headlight control, have separate control (switch) on any of the dummy slots

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamhegde View Post
100/90 should not be a real problem in city for others if you get the headlights aligned properly and may be, you could keep cut-off highet adjusted to a little low. Use the hight adjuster switch to activate the motor to bring the cut-off lie up for your highway trips.
The guy when he installed the 90/100 had aligned it, will have it checked again before taking the step of removing it.

I see there are a lot of D.I.Y available for this, but I am lacking the flat wall with 25 feet space . Are there any service center known for a good job on light alignment (Bangalore)?
Old 15th June 2012, 18:39   #6175
BHPian

Quote:
The guy when he installed the 90/100 had aligned it, will have it checked again before taking the step of removing it.
I do not know what you though about what he did. But surely it did not help and is not a beam alignment.

Quote:
Are there any service center known for a good job on light alignment (Bangalore)?
I got good results from A1 car care centre near Ashoka Pillar to get headlight aligned for my friend's i10.
They used a 'leveling equipment' for accurate alignment.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-a1.jpg
shyamhegde is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2012, 22:24   #6176
BHPian

I have a query regarding the use of LED lights for auto lighting purposes. In some threads members have posted experiences of using LEDs to design dome lights, using resistors in the circuit.

It will be really great if someone could explain how to go about designing such a circuit. More specifically, my concerns are the following:

1. How does one connect the LEDs? I mean, serial/parallel?
2. How many LEDs can one connect maximum? How does one measure the power consumption?
3. How and why are resistors connected?

Thanks in advance.
Old 15th June 2012, 22:50   #6177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m
I have a query regarding the use of LED lights for auto lighting purposes. In some threads members have posted experiences of using LEDs to design dome lights, using resistors in the circuit.

It will be really great if someone could explain how to go about designing such a circuit. More specifically, my concerns are the following:

1. How does one connect the LEDs? I mean, serial/parallel?
2. How many LEDs can one connect maximum? How does one measure the power consumption?
3. How and why are resistors connected?

Thanks in advance.
Something like this? ?

Try this site, it got a good circuit wizard.
led.linear1.org
Attached Images

mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2012, 08:55   #6178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Something like this? ?

Try this site, it got a good circuit wizard.
led.linear1.org
Thanks for that. However, my requirement is a little different, and the wizard did not provide suitable answers for that.

You know those LED light strips that are available in the market and on eBay? They typically start from 30 cm strips, with 18 LEDs, and go upwards till 5 metres, with 100s of LEDs. I assume these are all in series, since doing this in parallel would probably be too impractical.

Firstly, can I use a strip like that of considerably length, say close to 1.5 or 2 m, in the car without any issues?

Secondly, if I wanted to build one myself, running directly off the 12V supply, maybe taken from the festoon connector or the cigarette lighter wire, how many could I put together safely? At what point would the fuse blow?
Old 16th June 2012, 09:25   #6179
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m

Thanks for that. However, my requirement is a little different, and the wizard did not provide suitable answers for that.

You know those LED light strips that are available in the market and on eBay? They typically start from 30 cm strips, with 18 LEDs, and go upwards till 5 metres, with 100s of LEDs. I assume these are all in series, since doing this in parallel would probably be too impractical.

Firstly, can I use a strip like that of considerably length, say close to 1.5 or 2 m, in the car without any issues?

Secondly, if I wanted to build one myself, running directly off the 12V supply, maybe taken from the festoon connector or the cigarette lighter wire, how many could I put together safely? At what point would the fuse blow?
the reason i had the diagram was cos i tried making it.
it worked,but looked horrible,decided not to reinvent the wheel.
might be a good idea if you want to place your leds individually,otherwise the clusters and strips worked for me.

as far as the strips go, i am running 3 30 cm ones(front footwells and boot), and 1 90cm one under the rear seat.
all three inside the car in series.

no issues whatsoever.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2012, 19:48   #6180
Senior - BHPian

Want to replace the stock bulbs on my VW Polo with Osram NB+, do i have to remove the entire HL assembly or is there an easier way ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks