Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2013, 09:13   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Helmet / Car Cameras : GoPro, Contour, etc

Gopro Hero3 - Lot of fun considering its meant to be part of the fun.

More: http://www.flickr.com/photos/godvivek/8631114391/

I will post videos of gopro on my bull while riding to work later.

I have ordered the chest harness and want to try out few things including cricket and football.

Only problem is with the cineform that comes with the gopro. Unless you have a machine(PC) that is supremely fast there is no way one can convert a clip into a 5 frames/second clip. The converter fails everytime.

Have tried sony vegas pro but the video quality is choppy once it gets converted and rendered.

Cineform is good upto 10frames/second.

Sometimes i convert using Cineform, then try applying twixtorr in Sonyvegas to slow down as much as possible./

Recommended if you are ready to pay 300$ and another 100$ in accessories to gift yourself something fun on your birthday.

Can this be used as a daily DVR monitoring roads while you transit?

No - Reason - The battery life is bad and the camera heats up and sometimes shuts down due to extreme heat from early morning sun on the dash

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th June 2013 at 14:58. Reason: Embedding video
Old 12th June 2013, 15:01   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Gopro Hero3
Which version, white, silver or black? This greatly affects the ability to shoot smooth slow motion.

Quote:
Only problem is with the cineform that comes with the gopro. Unless you have a machine(PC) that is supremely fast there is no way one can convert a clip into a 5 frames/second clip. The converter fails everytime.
I don't think this has anything to do with processing power of your computer. If your computer is slow, it will just take longer to do the conversion. If the conversion is failing, there must be some other reason.

Quote:
Have tried sony vegas pro but the video quality is choppy once it gets converted and rendered.
What FPS are you shooting at?

Quote:
Can this be used as a daily DVR monitoring roads while you transit?
It has a looping function. Look it up. Make sure you're on the latest firmware too!

Quote:
The battery life is bad and the camera heats up and sometimes shuts down due to extreme heat from early morning sun on the dash
Try using the skeleton back door (better cooling). Mount the camera high if possible (so the roof gives it some shade) and consider another mount (eg. frame mount) which allows the camera to be charged whilst recording.

Its still far from an elegant DVR though!

cya
R
Old 12th June 2013, 23:12   #78
Senior - BHPian

A quick one from my H3BE. I'm planning to get a good DIY wrist mount done before I visit Wonder-la (Bangalore) next time so that I can put it to a good use.
Old 12th June 2013, 23:17   #79
Senior - BHPian

@Rehaan

I got the black.

Probably you can help me with some editing ideas. I shoot at 720/120FPS. While i try converting the same to say 1fps or 5 fps the cineform crashes irrespective of what length of movie i choose. Cineform will convert only at 10FPS.

Alternatively i tried using sony vegas. First tried simply stretching the video to play back at 24fps. It does work but on rendering the video looses clarity and smoothness that cineform renders out.

I am no where close to understanding the video editing part, specially the slowmo.

The beagle video was done via cineform.

I don't use this for car dvr. I am getting a more dedicated one to be used both in my bike and car . Yes my bike has a 9v point to drain my battery

I got the gopro for everything else including football, cricket and what not. Now ordered a suction mount to shoot some with my car.

Here is one more using cineform i guess at 10fps.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/godvivek/9025288835/
Old 13th June 2013, 12:44   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
A quick one from my H3BE.
Nice...

Quote:
I got the black.
Okay, that's great for the slowmo aspect.

Quote:
Probably you can help me with some editing ideas. I shoot at 720/120FPS. While i try converting the same to say 1fps or 5 fps the cineform crashes irrespective of what length of movie i choose. Cineform will convert only at 10FPS.
You really shouldn't be converting to 1 FPS. Thats like a slideshow with a 1 second interval. Maybe the codecs don't even support it (just a guess).

Aim for 25-30 for smooth playback, or 15 if you really want it slower.

Quote:
Alternatively i tried using sony vegas. First tried simply stretching the video to play back at 24fps. It does work but on rendering the video looses clarity and smoothness that cineform renders out.
I don't know how it works on Sony Vegas, but on Premiere, if you do this, it does not give you smooooth slowmo playback (even though the original has enough additional frames).

The reason for this is because when you bring in a 120 fps video, it "interprets" it as 30 fps (or whatever your project is). After that, changes you make will be using ONLY those 30 frames per second that it initially got from the video.

In premiere, to get around this, you have to interpret footage @ 120 fps, and then choose "playback at" 30 fps (actually 119.88 & 29.97 if you're familiar with that).

Once that is done, you're video will play at 1/4th speed smoothly.

The way you should do it : Use cineform to convert the 120 fps (119.88 fps) clip to 30 fps (29.97).

After thats done, you can use twixtor to further interpolate the frames and stretch out time more, if you need it.

cya
R
Old 13th June 2013, 14:22   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The way you should do it : Use cineform to convert the 120 fps (119.88 fps) clip to 30 fps (29.97).

After thats done, you can use twixtor to further interpolate the frames and stretch out time more, if you need it.
You hit the nail on its head. Now i am converting them to 24fps in Cineform and using a bit of twixtor to selectively further slow mo some part of the video.

Have a huge load of video's that i want to edit and will share soon. Video size is huge and you realise that only when you start shooting at HD and full HD. I only wished that there were some third party lenses to do some close ups including smashing some fruits etc.

Overall very impressed with GoPro and the usage is actually unlimited and left to the imagination.
Old 13th June 2013, 15:52   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You hit the nail on its head. Now i am converting them to 24fps in Cineform and using a bit of twixtor to selectively further slow mo some part of the video.
Perfect.

Quote:
I only wished that there were some third party lenses to do some close ups including smashing some fruits etc.
http://nofilmschool.com/2013/03/gopr...s-novo-camera/

cya
R
Old 26th June 2013, 13:02   #83
Team-BHP Support

Took a quick video of the slow-motion recording capabilities of the HERO 3 Black.

Shot at 720p @ 120 fps and slowed down to 30 fps.

(Ignore the colours, as they aren't accurate in this video because i changed a few things around)

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2013, 23:13   #84
Senior - BHPian

That's a good one Rehaan, below is one more I tried around pool. I'm yet to find out a good tool to work on slowing it down and merging flawlessly, are you guys using Cineform for all your GoPro movies or some other tools?

Also guys, I have a trip to go in a weeks time, I don't have the suction cup mount or tripod holder for GoPro, I guess these will be required if I want to capture some amazing views while I drive around mountains and valley. Please let me know where in Bangalore/India I can get it quickly!! Thanks you.
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 02:11   #85
Senior - BHPian

Hey Guys,

I got it from Foto Circle, Koramangala. Its another branch of Foto circle (Jayeshbhai) and keeps most of the GoPro accessories in case if any of you at Bangalore looking for it. Its right besides Prasanna Ganapti Temple, Koramangala, 3rd block (12.936393,77.61768).
hth.
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 13:49   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'm yet to find out a good tool to work on slowing it down and merging flawlessly, are you guys using Cineform for all your GoPro movies or some other tools?
GoPro Studio 2.0 was released about a month back. Its an improvement, and one of the coolest things is that it has readymade templates that you can just drop your own videos into.

I use this sometimes, and i use Premiere the rest of the time. (Not sure what you mean by "merging flawlessly").

New GoPros are going to be announced tomorrow!!

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st October 2013 at 13:50.
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2013, 15:59   #87
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the response Rehaan, I will get the GoPro Studio and check it out.
I was talking about the editing where we drop to slow motion from regular playback speed and then again back to regular playback rate flawlessly. I'm not sure if I'm doing it right, but I end up creating a break wherever I have to change the playback speed and then end up merging them in the film strip after making those changes in the playback speed. I had a look at the website today, talks about H3+BE. Looks like they managed to reduce the size of the camera this time, not sure if they have added any tech features / additions!
Edit: Also, happy to see the full fledge GoPro app for Windows Phone now, I can do lot of things using phone, almost replacing the remote.

Last edited by Ketan : 2nd October 2013 at 16:00.
Old 2nd October 2013, 21:18   #88
BHPian

Anybody have experience with this product?http://fotocentreindia.com/84-veho/1...l?sid=zknmvdln
Old 3rd October 2013, 14:27   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was talking about the editing where we drop to slow motion from regular playback speed and then again back to regular playback rate flawlessly.
Ah, speed ramping / time remapping. Nope i don't think GoPro studio can do this -- though check if its possible to "keyframe" the speed slider. If yes, then it is possible.

cya
R
Old 30th November 2013, 11:22   #90
BHPian

Here are a few wids that I shot with Go Pro Hero3 Black Edition

Last edited by nanduchitnis : 30th November 2013 at 11:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks