Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2018, 22:39   #5131
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Y A G I View Post
Hi Team,

Swift LDI 2014 Model 100K done.Got it with 65K done and currently using HX8 5W30.
Previously used Mobile 3000 Super.

Please suggest oil keeping in view the Odometer reading.

Regards,
Tyagi
Stick with HX8. Do you find any shortcomings with it that you're looking for a change?
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2018, 11:14   #5132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Stick with HX8. Do you find any shortcomings with it that you're looking for a change?
Earlier i use to do more of Mountain region drivers, but now mix of city and mountain.
What change internal shall i follow ?

7500 or 10K ?

Regards,
Tyagi
Old 29th December 2018, 09:13   #5133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
SHU or other 5W-40 or 5W-30 synthetic oil suit this engine well. I would heartily recommend SHU for the car.
Back from my trip. As expected, the Shell Helix Ultra 5-40 is a beauty. Consistently returned about 15 kilometres to a litre.
Swapnil4585 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2018, 10:29   #5134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
Back from my trip. As expected, the Shell Helix Ultra 5-40 is a beauty. Consistently returned about 15 kilometres to a litre.
I am glad to hear that. Frankly, if SHU were not good enough it wouldn't have been my choice of lube for my car for 8 years.

The car was taken for its annual service yesterday, the previous one being in Jan 2018. Yeah, it was serviced twice this calendar year. I foresee a busy schedule in Jan '19 so thought of getting it done about a fortnight before 1 year is complete. Used Amsoil Signature 5W-30 this time and it does seems better than M1 ESP. Audibly less valve train clatter and dare I say even slightly better pickup. I am so attuned to my car's behaviour after having owned it for 10 years now that even the smallest drops or improvements in performance are noticed. I am sticking to Amsoil for 5W-30 grade and either SHU or Motul Xcess for 5W-40. M1 ESP, while good, gets the old heave-ho.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2018, 12:41   #5135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Y A G I View Post
Earlier i use to do more of Mountain region drivers, but now mix of city and mountain.
What change internal shall i follow ?

7500 or 10K ?

Regards,
Tyagi
Heavy mountain use means change a bit earlier else stretch to 10k. You're going to be the best judge of how your car feels.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2018, 08:10   #5136
BHPian

Quote:
Used Amsoil Signature 5W-30 this time and it does seems better than M1 ESP. Audibly less valve train clatter and dare I say even slightly better pickup.
I will stock this oil whenever I come to Pune next time, as less valve train clatter is what I want too. My next oil change might come as early as May next year, considering the long trips scheduled.
Old 30th December 2018, 09:22   #5137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am glad to hear that. Frankly, if SHU were not good enough it wouldn't have been my choice of lube for my car for 8 years.

The car was taken for its annual service yesterday, the previous one being in Jan 2018. Yeah, it was serviced twice this calendar year. I foresee a busy schedule in Jan '19 so thought of getting it done about a fortnight before 1 year is complete. Used Amsoil Signature 5W-30 this time and it does seems better than M1 ESP. Audibly less valve train clatter and dare I say even slightly better pickup. I am so attuned to my car's behaviour after having owned it for 10 years now that even the smallest drops or improvements in performance are noticed. I am sticking to Amsoil for 5W-30 grade and either SHU or Motul Xcess for 5W-40. M1 ESP, while good, gets the old heave-ho.
I remember Amsoil from Frieburger's motortrend videos, he also mentions something about higher zinc content to protect valve train of race tuned engines.

How expensive is this?
Old 30th December 2018, 09:29   #5138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I will stock this oil whenever I come to Pune next time, as less valve train clatter is what I want too. My next oil change might come as early as May next year, considering the long trips scheduled.
It is available here:
Bahal Motors

Please call them to check availability. You will need a 1 gallon container and a quart for a total of 4.73 litres. The engine requires 4.2 litre with an oil filter change (must) and 4 litres without. You can also buy it at Amazon India.

Bahal also stocks Wix filters, the model for the car is Wix WL 7131. Buy a 2-3 of them to be used in case you cannot source Toyota/Denso. These are better than the Purolator ones you get in the market. The difference in construction quality between Purolator and Denso/Wix is obvious, the latter 2 being clearly superior.

Also, if your car has done well over 1 lakh km I'd suggest continuing with 5W-40. You may hear more clatter with a thinner oil. The 1ZZ-FE is a buzzy aluminium engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
I remember Amsoil from Frieburger's motortrend videos, he also mentions something about higher zinc content to protect valve train of race tuned engines.
How expensive is this?
It's about 3900 for a gallon i.e 3.78 litres. Amsoil Signature 5W-30

Last edited by R2D2 : 30th December 2018 at 09:33. Reason: added reply
Old 30th December 2018, 11:31   #5139
BHPian

Car: 2009, Chevy Spark:
During my last service( 6 months back) at Chevrolet A.S.C, the staff have replaced Engine oil with "ELF"make Engine oil.
When I asked about the details like grade/ mineral/ semi- synthetic, the service advisor was clueless. He said Elf is the only brand oil they have (comes in drum) and use it as replacement for all Chevy cars and there is no complaint.
Mine is a low usage car (having run just 10000 Km). Usage is mainly city driving and occasionally on highways.
To have peace of mind, I wish to replace the Engine oil with a better branded oil(like Shell) Which Grade/Brand Engine oil should I go for?
Thanks

Last edited by virgopal : 30th December 2018 at 11:33. Reason: Typos
Old 30th December 2018, 12:58   #5140
BHPian

Quote:
Also, if your car has done well over 1 lakh km I'd suggest continuing with 5W-40. You may hear more clatter with a thinner oil. The 1ZZ-FE is a buzzy aluminium engine.
Yes, it has done 1.10 lakh kilometers till now. The clatter is audible only on cold winter start ups. Thereafter it is pretty silent and smooth. And the cold winter start up clatter, if compared with, is about one fourth of an Alto.
Old 30th December 2018, 14:40   #5141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
To have peace of mind, I wish to replace the Engine oil with a better branded oil(like Shell) Which Grade/Brand Engine oil should I go for?
Please check the car's owners manual for recommended grades vs temperature charts. And buy only oils that meet those specifications considering the ambient temperature range where you live.

Quote:
Yes, it has done 1.10 lakh kilometers till now. The clatter is audible only on cold winter start ups. Thereafter it is pretty silent and smooth. And the cold winter start up clatter, if compared with, is about one fourth of an Alto.
Valve train clatter when immediately after a cold start is normal. It is what happens when the engine is at operating temperature that tells you how the oil is performing. So all things being equal a SAE 30 oil should exhibit slightly more clatter than a SAE 40.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2018, 15:13   #5142
BHPian

Thanks R2D2. As per Chevrolet Manual, Engine Oil Grade mentioned: API SJ grade. SAE 15W-40. The temperature/oil grade chart also mentions 15W-40 for based on my location(20-32C). I read somewhere(may be API site), SN grade can be used in place of SJ. Am I right?
For this grade, which branded oil is recommended, for my kind of usage (mostly City running with occasional short highway runs).

Last edited by virgopal : 30th December 2018 at 15:19. Reason: Added info
virgopal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2018, 16:37   #5143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
Thanks R2D2. As per Chevrolet Manual, Engine Oil Grade mentioned: API SJ grade. SAE 15W-40. The temperature/oil grade chart also mentions 15W-40 for based on my location(20-32C). I read somewhere (may be API site), SN grade can be used in place of SJ. Am I right?
For this grade, which branded oil is recommended, for my kind of usage (mostly City running with occasional short highway runs).
I gather the 20-32 C you mention are the max and min temp range in your city across seasonal changes in the year?

You could opt for Shell Helix HX5 15W-40 (mineral) or Shell Helix HX7 10W-40 (semi synthetic). Another option is Castrol Magnatec 10W-40, also semi-synthetic. Do not use an xW-30 or xW-20 oil in your car.

Yes, you can use SN spec oil in lieu of SJ. API specs are backwards compatible.
Old 31st December 2018, 11:18   #5144
BHPian

Hi Guys,
What should be the ideal oil drain period for Motul 8100 Xcess 5W40 for sx4 ddis?
My car has a daily city and highway running of 140 kilometres and its remapped as well.
Would 7k oil replacement be too long? I surely do not want to stretch it to 10k. I am fine with frequent oil replacement till the time the engine stays in good health.
Old 31st December 2018, 11:52   #5145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
Hi Guys, What should be the ideal oil drain period for Motul 8100 Xcess 5W40 for sx4 ddis? My car has a daily city and highway running of 140 kilometres and its remapped as well. Would 7k oil replacement be too long? I surely do not want to stretch it to 10k. I am fine with frequent oil replacement till the time the engine stays in good health.
I'd suggest you use a diesel specific synthetic oil. Plenty of recommendations/suggestions here: Diesel engine oils (All about diesel engine oils)
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks