Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2015, 19:18   #4261
Senior - BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Completed 20k on the odo a few weeks ago and to pamper the beast, got a visor thanks to Mr.Ashok Kamath who parted with his and fixed it on the bike. This is a MRA replica and a direct fit job which took hardly 5 minutes. The trick is to move the screw out/ in during dismantling and assembly without exerting pressure on the nut in the speedo console. Even a faint pressure on the bush will dislodge it from its location and as described by rchakravarty, the job becomes exhaustive.

I was not happy with the stickering of my registration number on the visor. So went ahead and drilled a couple of holes more and fixed the registration plate onto the visor. Here is the outcome.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20150319wa0003.jpeg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20150319wa0005.jpeg

The fixing of the visor and number plate were with rubber bushes in between which has resulted in reduction of vibes on the bike. Thanks to this suggestion by ashkamath.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20150319wa0007.jpeg

And added a bash plate from IndiMotard. This is made of Aluminum alloy. The sound from the gearbox is now clear unlike the muffled one with the stock plastic. Also a faint metallic echo is heard. The workmanship is top notch with plastic bushings on the mounting area at the bottom. However the front mounting is direct on the gearbox housing which I am not comfortable with, need to improvise the mounting at the front in coming days

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20150326wa0012.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20150326wa0014.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20150326wa0016.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20150326wa0018.jpg.
The damage done to the wallet was 2250INR.
unk9ja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2015, 19:25   #4262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post

The damage done to the wallet was 2250INR.
Rs.2250/- inclusive of the visor or just for the bash plate?

When I had enquired, IndiMotard guys had quoted Rs.2100/- for the bash plate. The logistics didn't work out and I wasn't impressed with their lukewarm response, so I left it at that.
Old 18th April 2015, 19:43   #4263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
Rs.2250/- inclusive of the visor or just for the bash plate?

When I had enquired, IndiMotard guys had quoted Rs.2100/- for the bash plate. The logistics didn't work out and I wasn't impressed with their lukewarm response, so I left it at that.
It is for the bash plate alone. 2100+labour will burn a hole of 2250INR. If you are in need of one, let me know I can send it across to you.

The bashplate for the D200 was black powder coated whereas the D390 is bare metal but also can be powder coated as told by them. But over a period of time, the debris will make the powder coated one an eyesore, so the bare metal one is better I believe.

The visor deal is between me and Ashkamath. Cannot make it public here, sorry. But he got it from China for around 60$.
Old 18th April 2015, 19:47   #4264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post

If you are in need of one, let me know I can send it across to you.

The visor deal is between me and Ashkamath. Cannot make it public here, sorry. But he got it from China for around 60$.
I do need one. I'll pm you about it. Thanks.

And, I've already bought the same visor. SunnyBoi ordered that and a couple of other accessories on my behalf. Need to collect it from him.
Old 19th April 2015, 21:48   #4265
BHPian

Finally got the front tire changed to michelin pilot street radials. Already running the same at the rear. Now the steering has become super heavy and the bike leans much more aggresively . I guess its because of the new tire and i am used to Metz. Lets hope i made a correct decision by choosing the michelins for the front.
Old 19th April 2015, 22:04   #4266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
Finally got the front tire changed to michelin pilot street radials. Already running the same at the rear. Now the steering has become super heavy and the bike leans much more aggresively . I guess its because of the new tire and i am used to Metz. Lets hope i made a correct decision by choosing the michelins for the front.
It'll take time for you to used to it, but IMO, the Metz remain the supreme option for the front. I use the Michelin as my rear tyre and I'm extremely happy and satisfied with it. With my front needing a change in another 1-2k kms, I'll be going with Metz. The stability and braking prowess that the Metz exhibits in the front is unparalleled.
Old 19th April 2015, 22:19   #4267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Its known to happen. I faced this issue too. was resolved free of charge in around 10 mins IIRC

Has not cropped up ever since, knock on wood
Update: Got this resolved at the SVC on Friday for free. They took off the valve cover, installed a new rubber gasket with some sealant. Took about 45 min(plus some 30 mins curing time for the sealant).

Seems to have sorted the issue for now.
Old 19th April 2015, 23:57   #4268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
It'll take time for you to used to it, but IMO, the Metz remain the supreme option for the front. I use the Michelin as my rear tyre and I'm extremely happy and satisfied with it. With my front needing a change in another 1-2k kms, I'll be going with Metz. The stability and braking prowess that the Metz exhibits in the front is unparalleled.
I surely agree that the Metz are the best. Unfortunately I did not have a budget of 7k at all. So finally went for the Michelin. Tomorrow I would be commuting to the office with the bike. Will update you how it goes on. Cheers
Old 20th April 2015, 00:45   #4269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
I surely agree that the Metz are the best. Unfortunately I did not have a budget of 7k at all. So finally went for the Michelin. Tomorrow I would be commuting to the office with the bike. Will update you how it goes on. Cheers
Sure. Do let us know how it behaves on the front and under hard braking.
Old 21st April 2015, 20:05   #4270
BHPian

There is no better place to write down my short ownership experience of the magnificent D390.

My writing skills are far from excellent and my below par English is not helping me either. So please forgive my mistakes gentlemen. Following opinions are from the view point of a novice rider.

My whole life is hovering around Auto mobiles. Always believed I was brought to the world of motor driven wonders by the almighty. I used to identify several vehicles by the age of 3 according to my mom. The toys I had were always cars or motorcycles. My love for anything with wheels grew with me. My strong desire resulted in me joining Mechanical stream in Engineering just for that extra bit of knowledge.

But my luck ran out and I had a seizure(fit) at the age of 17. I was instructed by the Doctor to not drive or ride for next 4 years. In those 4 years my Dad picked up a 2008 model HH pleasure for 20k. Being born in a pretty low class family it was a great occasion but I was not able to ride it because I was still taking medicines for fits. And finally when the course of the medicine was over I was ready to take my driving test.

Then disaster struck my family. My father was diagnosed with stage 5 chronic renal failure. Then everything took the back-seat as we were trying to make money for his surgery. I was in last year of my B tech course. 10 painful months passed and we have made some money with the help of his friends. My course was also over by that time. Huge responsibility was on my shoulders. But giving up was not an option for me. I have decide to put my skills as an android hobbyist to good use for Dad's surgery. Released a couple of apps in play store. But the day after i have received my first earning, god has decided to take away everything from us. Dad passed away in the morning of July 28th just days away from his surgery.

Months passed in pain and agony. And then came one of the biggest turning point in my life. Won the international theme contest conducted by Micromax and Cyanogen Inc. App revenues sky rocketed. Saved up my earnings and started dreaming about my first set of wheels once again. Dad's pleasure was an ok commuter. But it was horrible in corners. I was able feel the bike slipping and sliding under my legs even in pretty good roads. It was comfortable sitting at 40-50 in a perfectly paved straight road. I knew i had to fulfil my desire. Started the search for used ceebers but gave up on it soon as I don't like refined and sane machines. D200 was the next option. Decided to go with a brand new one. Going most ownership experiences i have came to know about the usual niggles plaguing katooms and pushed me towards the internationally acclaimed best beginner bike Ninja. But in our state Kerala there were not many ninjas and the number of them on sale was in single digits. Most of them quoting exorbitant price tags ranging between 2.0-2.8l for 4-5 year old examples.

But being a jap i knew it had the substance to command such a sum. Eventually I ruled it out of my options because the closest service centre was 90km away. So I was back to square one but like a true enthusiast I have decided to listen to my heart. KTM, it has to be a KTM. My little brother who is 17 is every bit a petrol head as I'm was the one who gave me the moral support to go with katoom. That was the only thing I needed. After all these are machines and they are bound to go wrong sometimes. Then came the biggest dilemma of choosing between the duke brothers. New D200 or pre-worshipped D390? Found a decent 390 close to my home. It was a 2014 Jan model. Had an inspection and he was as energetic and clean as I expected. So it was him or a new 200. Heart SAID "GO get him you imbecile, opportunities don't come twice" and my head was like "Get the saner 200, 390 will try to kill you, break a wheel, heat up in traffic, return low gas mileage and eventually will get you in to trouble". It was time to shut off my head. Negotiated hard with the owner and brought him down to 1.57 from 1.7 and finally picked him up the last Saturday. Duma was finally mine. Took him to Guruvayoor temple and done the rituals. Came home with the biggest grin I have ever had in my life. My brother was awestruck. Both of us took hours to sink in to the fact that he is really ours. He is like your best mate. You have to respect him and give him the attention he wants and like a true mate he will plaster a big grin on your face and will help you pull out of sticky situations.

Managed to stall the engine few times in second gear. Slipping the clutch helped a lot. Probably my lack of technique to blame here. In a very short period of time I have already developed a strong bond with him. To me a bike/car is not just a machine. I know for many its just a point A to B tool. Not for me. I guess that's why I'm being able to overlook the niggles and the impracticalities of these wonderful piece of machineries. I maybe young but I'm an old school enthusiast at heart. I believe in adjusting to a machine's shortcomings and having fun looking after the it. D390 is exactly my kind of thing. It is rough, jerky, hot, grabs unwanted attention but it all adds to one thing 'SOUL'.
Here he is gleaming in the sun after a complete wash and polish job

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20150420_162023_low.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20150421_123252.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20150421_123309.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20150421_123241.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img_20150421_123845.jpg

Note from Support.
Divided the large block of text into paragraphs.
Please take sometime to read this very helpful guide.
Thanks,
Support Team

Last edited by bblost : 21st April 2015 at 23:53.
b16h22 is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 21st April 2015, 23:43   #4271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
There is no better place to write down my short ownership experience of the magnificent D390.
Congrats Buddy!

IMO the 390 looks amazing in almost any condition : new, used, clean or dirty.
The Pain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2015, 12:04   #4272
Senior - BHPian

Found 3 small leaks on the rear tyre (stock metz run for 19k kms). Two of them are leaks from old puncture repair. one is from a small nail embedded. These were resulting in tyre loosing half its pressure in 2 days time. Repaired one of the leaks which was more pronounced. This should hold for a few days.
Have been wanting to change the tyre for a while, but was carrying on with the old one as there was still some life left and partially my laziness. Now i WILL have to get a replacement this weekend.

Could someone help me with where can i buy the metzs in Bangalore? what would be the approx cost? Enquired at two places but they seem to have no stock. My first choice is metz but incase its not readily available, what would be the next best option? and their availability. price is not a big issue, safety is. Have heard about 2 variants of Michelin and the new MRF. Let me know your thoughts.
Old 23rd April 2015, 14:28   #4273
BHPian

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Guys,
Quick question. Have booked 390 and getting delivery tomorrow 24th. Today I went to check the bike, dealer says PDI is done from his side and the ODO reading is 22 km, hand guards are not yet fitted. The manufacturing is March 2015.

My question is, why it is showing 22 KM, it is acceptable or should I question him? I doubt if he have used bike for showroom work or may be TD.

Last edited by Thar4x4 : 23rd April 2015 at 14:31.
Old 23rd April 2015, 14:39   #4274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
Quick question. Have booked 390 and getting delivery tomorrow 24th. Today I went to check the bike, dealer says PDI is done from his side and the ODO reading is 22 km, hand guards are not yet fitted. The manufacturing is March 2015. ...My question is, why it is showing 22 KM, it is acceptable or should I question him? I doubt if he have used bike for showroom work or may be TD.
The mirrors and hand guards will be fitted before delivery at times. They dont want these to break in transit when the vehicles are packed in the truck they arrive in. 22kms is not much but it raises questions. Does the Pune RTO have any rules that the vehicle has to be present during registration? Here in B'lore, the showroom guy just sent the documents last year. So i was there when the bike was unloaded and the odo was showing 2kms. At the time of delivery as well it was the same.

So check with the showroom guys why it has run 22kms. As per the sales rep, the mechanical PDI will be done by KTM guys at bajaj plant and the showroom guys do a cursory check for scratches or broken parts, electrical parts functioning etc. This is what i was told.
Old 23rd April 2015, 14:51   #4275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
The mirrors and hand guards will be fitted before delivery at times. They dont want these to break in transit when the vehicles are packed in the truck they arrive in. 22kms is not much but it raises questions. Does the Pune RTO have any rules that the vehicle has to be present during registration? Here in B'lore, the showroom guy just sent the documents last year. So i was there when the bike was unloaded and the odo was showing 2kms. At the time of delivery as well it was the same.

So check with the showroom guys why it has run 22kms. As per the sales rep, the mechanical PDI will be done by KTM guys at bajaj plant and the showroom guys do a cursory check for scratches or broken parts, electrical parts functioning etc. This is what i was told.
IMO its better that the odo reading is 22 km not 0 km. Some of the dealers disconnect the vehicle speed sensor and even give vehicles for test drives/rides. 22 km is reasonable as they might have taken it for RTO registration.

Most Viewed