Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2010, 16:47   #136
Senior - BHPian

I hate coming back here , but alas no luck yet. Bike is running fine as of now with zero niggles except for a conked speedo cable.

This morning I met a chap on a nicely done up RE near Manyata tech park. Spoke to him and he was kind enough to let know where he gets his work done. The Garage owners name is Muni or so and the place is in a bylane after Manipal Motors in Hebbal. Am definitely heading there to have a dekho.

This weekend I will head to Dream Machines and have a word with Jaffer as per RVD's advice. Lets see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantejas View Post
rjstyles,
I am sorry for not pming the number. I will do it positively by tomorrow. I totally forgot about it.

Tejas
Tejas I will go ahead and find this place over the weekend. I live close-by and shouldn't be a problem.

Darn !! This is getting difficult than expected. Finding the right mech, finding someone to do a good paint job blah blah blah.
Old 13th April 2010, 17:08   #137
BHPian

Sheesh! I am really sorry boss!
The mech's name is mubarak somewhere near sanjaynagar. I am waiting for my friend to sms me the num. please pm me ur num so that I can sms it to you.
I am sorry again, just that I totally forgot again!

tejas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
I hate coming back here , but alas no luck yet. Bike is running fine as of now with zero niggles except for a conked speedo cable.

This morning I met a chap on a nicely done up RE near Manyata tech park. Spoke to him and he was kind enough to let know where he gets his work done. The Garage owners name is Muni or so and the place is in a bylane after Manipal Motors in Hebbal. Am definitely heading there to have a dekho.

This weekend I will head to Dream Machines and have a word with Jaffer as per RVD's advice. Lets see how it goes.

Tejas I will go ahead and find this place over the weekend. I live close-by and shouldn't be a problem.

Darn !! This is getting difficult than expected. Finding the right mech, finding someone to do a good paint job blah blah blah.
Old 13th April 2010, 17:09   #138
Senior - BHPian

Am still on a look out a good/reliable mech who can tune the bike well and laso ensure he does fix all the issues...

I almost got into trouble when the mech dint notice the blown rear wheel bearing and i did a 400kms ride with it! last time on my machismo had to run in 10kmph thanks to the bearing blown...

however Keshav@ Mangalore seems to be promising, though am not a fan of his tuning yet but this guy has the time and patience to listen. meanwhile there is a mech in sakleshpura forgot his name he certainly has a good knowledge on the cis...
Old 13th April 2010, 17:40   #139
BHPian

There's one person in kundapur who is very good. His name is I think jayaraj. usually treat all the vehicles but expert in CIs. I have his number if someone wants.

Tejas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Am still on a look out a good/reliable mech who can tune the bike well and laso ensure he does fix all the issues...

I almost got into trouble when the mech dint notice the blown rear wheel bearing and i did a 400kms ride with it! last time on my machismo had to run in 10kmph thanks to the bearing blown...

however Keshav@ Mangalore seems to be promising, though am not a fan of his tuning yet but this guy has the time and patience to listen. meanwhile there is a mech in sakleshpura forgot his name he certainly has a good knowledge on the cis...
Old 14th April 2010, 10:12   #140
Senior - BHPian

Tejas, do share the number dont mind riding to Kundapura to get my bike fixed
Old 19th April 2010, 07:22   #141
BHPian

Bullet Rebuild ...

Folks,

I have a Bullet which is a '97 , i am the 3rd owner .
I am looking to get my bike rebuilt in a proper way so that it should last for fair bit of time.

I had tried couple of mechanics in mumbai and not found anyone willing to take pain to explain things & patience and do a satisfying job.

Just want your insight on what should be done with regards to the engine and smooth ride quality on the bike , The monsoon are coming up and i think i have a post with Desideep from punjab on how he had done a rebuild and changed the
wiring and ignition from a CB point to a CDI and saving the cost of CB point adjustments which is a major drawback in the monsoon season ?? I have a new battery which i bought some 6 months back

(URL:Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community)

I need helpful advise about the wiring whether 12 volt setup & any other inputs on the rebuild procedures will be highly appreciated.

Awaiting Response...

Cheers
TND
Old 19th April 2010, 10:02   #142
BHPian

CAM failure in AVL

Does anybody know or came across CAM failures in AVL engines. I have had twice in 25K KMs. Any inputs \ solutions?

Mohan.G
Old 19th April 2010, 10:39   #143
Senior - BHPian

Any good TBTS mechanics in Delhi? Anywhere except East Delhi would do.
Old 19th April 2010, 12:24   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohang_j View Post
Does anybody know or came across CAM failures in AVL engines. I have had twice in 25K KMs. Any inputs \ solutions?

Mohan.G
First of all, cams or timing wheel failure? Cam failure is mainly due to lack of lubrication. Tell tale signs include an oil pump spindle wear. Also, excess backlash will result in the cam teeth getting worn out but this will cause a lot of tak-tak noise and tip you off. Timing wheels get worn out mainly due the cams going south and also sometimes due to a crank that is not completely true. While replacing cams, it is extremely important to replace tappets as well. Most people skimp on this as the replacement of tappets as this entails the complete removal of the cylinder assembly. Worn tappet heads will again cause uneven wear and you'll be back to square one in under 5000 Kms if things are bad. If you're in Bangalore, replacing isn't an issue as a few machinists in Shivajinagar use a crude but effective way to get the tappets out without touching the head/cylinder.

First solution is to make sure lubrication is good. A real time check of lubrication is highly recommended. Secondly, oil pump should be in good shape. Thirdly, cam backlash should be kept zero on a cold engine and checked for periodically. Fourthly, tappets should be replaced while cams are. This is vital for non recurrence of excess cam wear. Also, the crank should be true but if it isn't, you're entire engine won't last too long. But since you say that this is the second time it is happening in 25K kms, you're crank might not be the culprit after all. A way to check for the timing pinion eccentricity is by a dial gauge which is beyond most Bullet mechs as they don't want/have difficulty understanding this concept.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 21st April 2010, 15:45   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
cams or timing wheel failure? Cam failure is mainly due to lack of lubrication.
Jay,
Thanks for the reply. Its a exhaust cam failure and i we have seen appropriate oil circulation. (me and Nanadan)
Quote:
Tell tale signs include an oil pump spindle wear. Also, excess backlash will result in the cam teeth getting worn out but this will cause a lot of tak-tak noise and tip you off.
Yes i do have lot of tappet noise.
Quote:
While replacing cams, it is extremely important to replace tappets as well.
Tappets and guides were replaced both the time

Quote:
First solution is to make sure lubrication is good. A real time check of lubrication is highly recommended.
Very often i do chek the oil level and some time i open tappet cover and look at oil flow. Is there any thing else i need to check. Oil flow is good at Banjo nuts.
Quote:
Secondly, oil pump should be in good shape. Thirdly, cam backlash should be kept zero on a cold engine and checked for periodically. A way to check for the timing pinion eccentricity is by a dial gauge which is beyond most Bullet mechs as they don't want/have difficulty understanding this concept.
Can i have some contact \ mechanic who can do this for me in Bangalore.

Thanks again
Mohan.G
Old 21st April 2010, 15:48   #146
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd April 2010 at 15:31.
torqueyTND is offline   Received Infraction
Old 21st April 2010, 17:00   #147
BHPian

Hello People!

Good people on this thread,

I am in Mumbai for a couple of months and have had to leave my Bull in Manipal. Not being able to ride is killing me!

One of my favourite weekend pastimes is to watch some good mechanic work on Bulls at his garage. Could you suggest some place in Mumbai where I can get my fix. All I am going to do is watch.

You can call me a Buller voyeur of sorts
Old 21st April 2010, 21:01   #148
BHPian

Quote:
First of all, cams or timing wheel failure? Cam failure is mainly due to lack of lubrication. Tell tale signs include an oil pump spindle wear. Also, excess backlash will result in the cam teeth getting worn out but this will cause a lot of tak-tak noise and tip you off. Timing wheels get worn out mainly due the cams going south and also sometimes due to a crank that is not completely true. While replacing cams, it is extremely important to replace tappets as well. Most people skimp on this as the replacement of tappets as this entails the complete removal of the cylinder assembly. Worn tappet heads will again cause uneven wear and you'll be back to square one in under 5000 Kms if things are bad. If you're in Bangalore, replacing isn't an issue as a few machinists in Shivajinagar use a crude but effective way to get the tappets out without touching the head/cylinder.

First solution is to make sure lubrication is good. A real time check of lubrication is highly recommended. Secondly, oil pump should be in good shape. Thirdly, cam backlash should be kept zero on a cold engine and checked for periodically. Fourthly, tappets should be replaced while cams are. This is vital for non recurrence of excess cam wear. Also, the crank should be true but if it isn't, you're entire engine won't last too long. But since you say that this is the second time it is happening in 25K kms, you're crank might not be the culprit after all. A way to check for the timing pinion eccentricity is by a dial gauge which is beyond most Bullet mechs as they don't want/have difficulty understanding this concept.

Cheers,

Jay
This is exactly the reason why i sold off my machismo AVL 350 a year back. I owned it for 2 years and did close to 30K kms, and changed the cam wheels and tappets 3 times!!! i even tried Nandan once, he gave me a lot of gyan but no positive results. i had noticed that this happened to me mostly when I ripped it (ride at High RPMs). Mine was a 2003 model and i thought this issue was sorted out in later models. Which model is yours?

Quote:
You must be talking about Sandeep. Honest chap. Recommended for regular service but not performance mods. A couple of my friends go to him and are happy.

Cheers,

Jay
Jay, can you tell me a good mechanic in Bangalore (preferrably north-east area) which is good for preformance mods? I too, as many here, don't prefer Nandan, somehow he seems to be always interested in "servicing" my bike, not to cater to my specific needs..
Old 22nd April 2010, 16:45   #149
BHPian

I am looking for a professional mechanic who can performance modify my RX, I tried many threads and I couldn't get any help
Old 22nd April 2010, 20:23   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingaboysr View Post

Jay, can you tell me a good mechanic in Bangalore (preferrably north-east area) which is good for preformance mods? I too, as many here, don't prefer Nandan, somehow he seems to be always interested in "servicing" my bike, not to cater to my specific needs..
Honestly speaking, not too many Bullet mechs are good at performance mods. What performance mods are you looking for? If it is just the free flow intake and exhaust, I can guide you with the set up and jetting. If you're looking at a mechanic, Imran(Karnataka Bullet Garage) in Sheshadripuram is said to be good for performance mods although I cannot vouch for him as I do not have any experience with him as I am a DIYer.

Cheers,

Jay

Most Viewed