Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2014, 17:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

TVS Jupiter or something else?

Guys/experts,

I am looking to buy an automatic scooter for some time now and am very confused with all the offerings in the market.

Have test ridden the Suzuki Access 125 a couple of days ago. Today took a test ride of the Vespa 125S (this one is being launched tomorrow at INR 92,000.00 on road Bombay) and the TVS Jupiter (INR 61,300.00 on road Bombay).

Vespa 125S - Did not like the ride or handling at all. It felt very nervous in a straight line and not comfortable either. Killer looks though, the matte black color is super. If I was interested in looks alone, would have bought it straight away.

Suzuki Access 125 - Liked the ride and handling, pretty comfortable too.

TVS Jupiter - Very comfortable ride and handling, maybe due to the 12 inch alloy wheels. This is the scooter I am inclined towards.

I read reviews regarding the Jupiter and a lot of people complained about some sort of noise from the front suspension. When I questioned the sales person at Haran Auto which is an authorized dealer for TVS, he acknowledged the issue and said it was only in the initial batch of scooters last year and has been rectified since. Has anyone heard about this?

The vin number (hope its the correct term for a scooter) is underneath the seat. Can somebody help in decoding it? How can one know when it is manufactured?

My usage will be strictly in and around my area, not going to travel any long distance. I want a comfortable ride, decent handling and power, not concerned with mileage.

Please could you guide me in my purchase?

Alternatively, if there is some other scooter out there which I should look at as well, please let me know.
I do not mind waiting for a while for any new launches if there is something worth waiting for as this is purely a fun purchase.

Awaiting your response.

Thank You,

Regards
Cyborg

Last edited by GTO : 5th March 2014 at 18:39. Reason: Please don't unnecessarily use BOLD. Thanks
Old 3rd March 2014, 17:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: TVS Jupiter or something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Awaiting your response.
When I bought my Apache, all TVS vehicles in the dealer's yard had a sticker on the rear number plate that had the month of mfg written on it. If that's the case even now, you don't need to decode the VIN.

If you're reluctant to buy the Jupiter due to its teething troubles, then take a look at the Wego. Except looks, it's similar in most respects to the Jupiter, and I've heard that it's initial flaws have been ironed out.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2014, 19:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today took a test ride of the Vespa 125S (this one is being launched tomorrow at INR 92,000.00 on road Bombay)
92K for a gearless scooter in Mumbai? What are they selling it with - gold plated alloys??. You can get a Pulsar 200NS in that price.

Anyways coming back to your query, are you already fixated on the Jupiter? Have you tried test driving the Aviator or the Wego or the Maestro. All of these come with front telescopic suspension, so ride would be pretty much good coupled with good mileage too. If looks do matter to you, you can try the Honda Dio or the Yamaha Ray (Z).

I would suggest to go for the brand which has a workshop close to your place. Then zero it down on the cost and you will have your choice.

For VIN decoding, write to our in house VIN expert Wildon.
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2014, 21:45   #4
BHPian

Whatever you choose to buy, don't buy the Vespa. At 92K it's more expensive than most 150CC bikes and might even fetch you a TVS Apache ABS. Don't buy the Vespa, it's ridiculous.

I would recommend the Wego for the large tires, telescopic suspension, outside fuel filler cap, and the stable ride. TVS makes good rides. Go for a test ride and see if you like it.
hellmet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2014, 22:56   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Please could you guide me in my purchase?
Hey Cyborg, I was in this dilemma sometime back (an year I reckon); and I went for the Maestro.
However, just 6-7 months after my purchase, a friend of mine was in the market for a gearless scooter, and after riding everything from the Activa to the Vespa, I suggested him to go for the Jupiter.

It scored well over my Maestro in every department except the engine smoothness.
+ Nice Big Alloys and tubeless tyres.
+ Telescopic front suspension.
+ Peppier to ride than its counterparts (not as much as the Access; 100cc ones).
+ Handles better than most.
+ Matte color looks good.
+ Pass light.
+ Nice comfortable seat.
+ External fuel filling.

If I were out for a gearless scooter in the market, this would be the one

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2014, 00:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
92K for a gearless scooter in Mumbai? What are they selling it with - gold plated alloys??. You can get a Pulsar 200NS in that price.)
Thanks Ghodlur.
You bet, 92 thousand is insane! But, it is a extremely good looking and well put
together scooter.

Thanks Hellmet and Bhargav!
The Vespa is out for sure. I am leaning heavily towards the Jupiter.

Will update.

Cheers

Last edited by GTO : 5th March 2014 at 18:40. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 4th March 2014, 08:51   #7
BANNED

TVS Jupiter trumps all other gearless scooters, at-least on paper! But it has waiting period I guess.

Honda Aviator does have front telescopic suspension and 12 inch wheel, but rear wheel is only 10 inch.

PS: I am getting a Red Jupiter this weekend

Last edited by GTO : 6th March 2014 at 20:16. Reason: Typos
splitsecond is offline   Received Infraction
Old 4th March 2014, 09:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

Please have a look at Yamaha Alpha scooter. It is based on the same platform as Ray. The Ray scooter was targeted at female/young buyers, whereas Alpha is targeted for more matured buyers.

Also, Honda has unveiled a 125cc version of Activa. It would be worth waiting for.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2014, 11:48   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Guys/experts,

Have test ridden the Suzuki Access 125 a couple of days ago. Today took a test ride of the Vespa 125S (this one is being launched tomorrow at INR 92,000.00 on road Bombay) and the TVS Jupiter (INR 61,300.00 on road Bombay).

Suzuki Access 125 - Liked the ride and handling, pretty comfortable too.

Alternatively, if there is some other scooter out there which I should look at as well, please let me know.
I do not mind waiting for a while for any new launches if there is something worth waiting for as this is purely a fun purchase.
If you want something already tested and reliable , then there is the good old activa or the activa i . I am using my friends access for a while now , I feel it is a bit expensive to maintain . I spent nearly 650 rs for a set of brake shoes (front and rear ) . The rear brake shoes on my CBZ costs 180 Rs .

Wait for some more time till the suspension issue on Jupiter is fixed. One question , did you try the hero mastero ?

Last edited by girimajiananth : 4th March 2014 at 11:56.
girimajiananth is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2014, 14:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

I believe you can try the following:

1) Ray-Z: Looks fresh and doesn't carry the feminine tag of the very successful Ray.

2) Aviator: Looks can be subjective. But I have used the Aviator. Telescopic front suspension and the big wheels help tackle bad roads relatively easier than the other scooters. Option of front disk brakes from Nissin too. And at speeds of 70 odd, still the butter smooth engine it is at 30.

3) Wego: Ticks most boxes. Definitely worth a look.

4) Access: Nice exhaust note. Good ride quality, but Suzuki service isn't as widespread as the others.

Other new scooters that are probably worth waiting for are:
1) Activa 125: The tried, trusted Activa with a bigger heart, better brakes and better suspension.

2) Cygnus Alpha: I believe it carries the same engine as the Ray.

All these if you aren't fixed on the Jupiter yet. :P Which carries a lot of design elements from the Activa from what I have noticed.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2014, 15:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

If you can, wait for Activa 125cc. Seems well put, with alloy wheels, telescopic shocks and disc brake. Somehow I don't recommend Vespa, and TVS vehicles never appealed to me. Suzuki Access doesn't age well, don't know about Suzuki Swish.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2014, 22:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitsecond View Post

ps: i am getting a Red Jupiter this weekend
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Please have a look at Yamaha Alpha scooter. It is based on the same platform as Ray. The Ray scooter was targeted at female/young buyers, whereas Alpha is targeted for more matured buyers.
Also, Honda has unveiled a 125cc version of Activa. It would be worth waiting for.
Rohan
Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
Wait for some more time till the suspension issue on Jupiter is fixed. One question , did you try the hero mastero ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
I believe you can try the following:
All these if you aren't fixed on the Jupiter yet. :P Which carries a lot of design elements from the Activa from what I have noticed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
If you can, wait for Activa 125cc. Seems well put, with alloy wheels, telescopic shocks and disc brake. Somehow I don't recommend Vespa, and TVS vehicles never appealed to me. Suzuki Access doesn't age well, don't know about Suzuki Swish.
Thanks Splitsecond, Rohan, Girimajiananth, Ashwin and Ani_Meher!

Splitsecond, congratulations on your Jupiter! Let me know after your delivery, please pm me and we could talk if you are fine with it.

Have not tried the Hero Maestro or the Ray Alpha, will take a look.

The Activa's rear suspension is very bad so have dropped the idea. One ride on the Jupiter was very good, the suspension and handling are on another level altogether.

Lets see, will update on the progress.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 4th March 2014 at 22:03. Reason: Spelling error
Old 6th March 2014, 15:39   #13
BHPian

Re: TVS Jupiter or something else?

Hi Cyborg,
I was in the same dilemma a few months ago when I was planning to buy a ride for my wife.
My requirements were:
1. Reliability - It must not show tantrums in cold start, random engine stall etc.
2. Looks - after all better looking ride for better half
3. Stability - I do not mean nice cornering etc, just balanced and controlled stop when braked in emergency.
4. Nice pulling power
5. Nice behaviour by the Dealers (not only sales, but also service - important)
6. Leg Space - Both for my daughter to stand at during ice cream shop visits in the street, and for storing a couple of shopping bags.
Completely domestic needs - you see.
7. Looks (Her demand) - Off late I felt to suggest Revlon / Asian Paints to provide colour schemes to scooter companies!

Points I did not consider:
1. Mileage - since maximum running was going to be 300-500 a month!
2. Price - After all we were not discussing XUV vx Fortuner. 5 Grands less or more does not matter.
3. Goodies/Alloy Wheels/Disk Brakes/Fuel filler under the seat or exposed at rear.. etc to name a few.

Dealer Visits - Model(s) Considered - Dealer Behaviour - Thoughts:
1. TVS - Wego - Average - Nice looks, good features, some online reviews complain about engine stall. Asked an ex-colleague (wego owner) and he too confirmed the issue. Salesman was less informed.
2. Yamaha - Ray - Nice - Superb looks. Leg space on lower side. Yamaha is a legend - but this new machine is not time tested. Scooter height bit low.Heard about some cold start issues.
3. Honda - Activa/Aviator/Dio - They did not ask us to sit (mind it - I visited with Wifey and 3 yrs old kid)!!! - Just 1 thought : No Honda atleast unless hear some good reports of Dealer's behaviour. BTW, Is HMSI among Manufacturers of 2-wheeler what Skoda is among those of 4-wheelers :(
4. Suzuki - Swish - WOW! Sweet looking new color theme. Pulling power worth mentioning here. Time tested engine/tranny on Access. Excellent behaviour and to sweeten the deal - Rs. 1500 cash discount and further off on accessories!
5. Vespa - Did not visit! Reason - simply price. Not worth paying 20 grands just for cosmetics.

Finalized: Suzuki Access.
Some more merits:
1. Fiber panels.
2. Excellent Suspension setup and corners well (more on this later).
3. Minimal equipments - least bothering ownership.
4. Nice underseat storage.
5. Engine Sound (in its league,of course)

Initial ownership:
Worth mentioning - after customary Pooja, tank-air topup brought the beauty home. Asked wife to take a ride - and awwww... got bit uncontrolled (read confused) and hit a piller in parking at,say 7-8kmph. Front panel got scratched (thankfully - no harm to wifey). Panel, make of fibre, was repaired in 4 hours - flat! Free of cost!

Next week - My Estilo sleeping, Avenger snoring - and the Makkhi (I nicknamed the li'l Suzuki) was flying with me on top on the way to my office - 17km a side! Hit 70kmph (for a few seconds - it was in run in period) without breaking a sweat. Brakes - excellent with good feedback. Corners - with ease at 55-60 kmph.

400 kms (1 month) - First service
Got service reminder. Small issues - fixed. Delivered in 90 minutes - sharp.

No issues so far. TOUCHWOOD!

So, please take your time. Visit every brand and a list in hand (or mind) with your requirements. Take test rides, take your time and decide!
One last word - What Maruti Suzuki is among carmakers, Suzuki is among bike makers. Literally!

Hope it helps!

~ Zinda!
Zinda is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 19:39   #14
BHPian

If you can compromise a bit on mileage, you should get the swish. It's very powerful. Has the best pickup in the segment (I own a vespa, yet i can vouch for it!) and costs just a tad over the activa/jupiter. I haven't taken a test ride on Jupiter yet but have driven a wego. Wego is good in almost all aspects but can't reach speeds ~90-100kmph. Assuming you pay only ~5k over a wego for the swish, swish is the best bet. Regarding other scooters - i don't like the activa (too plain and not many features to justify the cost, i know i know, same thing with my vespa too! :P), ray is too small and the engine gives out a weird noise, access - same as swish but older and heavier. And in my eyes, wego looks far better than jupiter (just my opinion).

So, summing up - get a wego for mileage and alloy wheels or get a swish for performance

my 2 cents!
kaushik51094 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2014, 09:15   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinda View Post
3. Honda - Activa/Aviator/Dio - They did not ask us to sit
i too faced the same issue at honda 2 days ago , they seemed to be least interested and did not even give price break-up instead asked me to chk on the price list hanging at a corner

I have finalised jupiter & alpha.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks