Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2017, 09:35   #121
BHPian

Re: TVS Jupiter or something else?

Hi,

I am using TVS Jupiter for ~2 years (with regular maintenance schedule followed).

Initially, my monthly usage was ~800 km per month, but has now come down to ~150 km per month.

After the free services (free labour charges), my SA has been advising clutch overhauling/transmission oil check at every 3-month intervals for preventive maintenance. The cost of the same comes to ~300 Rs.

My question is that are other Jupiter owners (or automatic scooter owners) advised clutch overhauling/transmission oil check at every service visit?

I am bit skeptical because my usage does not seem to warrant the abovementioned service.

Also, at my last service (in March 2017), the SA advised replacing brake pads (the scooter has clocked ~6100 km till now). Is a brake pad change required so soon, given the number of km clocked? Or is it because of the age of the vehicle (~2 years).

Could existing Jupiter owners help to answer my questions? Or could some one suggest another TVS centre in Borivali West, Mumbai?

Thanks!
Old 24th May 2017, 09:50   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 5 View Post
My question is that are other Jupiter owners (or automatic scooter owners) advised clutch overhauling/transmission oil check at every service visit?
For Jupiter, transmission oil change is required only once in a year, not every 3 months.
Please ask SA why clutch overhaul is needed in every service? If SA can't provide satisfactory/convincing answer don't do it (applies for other items as well). If SA insists on a particular service item, please check maintenance schedule in user manual.
Quote:
Is a brake pad change required so soon, given the number of km clocked?
Do brakes make screeching sound when you apply brakes? If not, no need to replace brake pads. Please inspect thickness of pads when your Jupiter goes for servicing next time.
sukiwa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 09:59   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 5 View Post
Hi,

I am using TVS Jupiter for ~2 years (with regular maintenance schedule followed).

Initially, my monthly usage was ~800 km per month, but has now come down to ~150 km per month.

After the free services (free labour charges), my SA has been advising clutch overhauling/transmission oil check at every 3-month intervals for preventive maintenance. The cost of the same comes to ~300 Rs.

I am bit skeptical because my usage does not seem to warrant the above mentioned service.

Also, at my last service (in March 2017), the SA advised replacing brake pads (the scooter has clocked ~6100 km till now). Is a brake pad change required so soon, given the number of km clocked? Or is it because of the age of the vehicle (~2 years).

Could existing Jupiter owners help to answer my questions? Or could some one suggest another TVS centre in Borivali West, Mumbai?

Thanks!
I too have a Jupiter which is about 2 years and 2 months old with 32xx kms on the odo.

Clutch does not require opening up every service unless there is an issue of slippage or noise with it. The initial batch of Jupiter had clutch bell issue and oil seal issue which they replaced silently during the first service (not many customers have a clue about it). Post the new clutch bell installed, there is no reason to open it in every service. They charge you but do nothing apart from opening the clutch cover blowing air which is not worthy of being called clutch overhaul.

My Jupiter has visited the service center only twice in 2 years, both the times for Oil change and in one visit I requested for the oil seal change (kicker oil seal). It is running as expected with 45-48 kmpl mileage when ride in green zone (which I rarely do) and around 35 kmpl when you ride with the throttle wide open.

One annoying with TVS vehicles is the brake drum noise. They simply cant figure a way out to keep it silent. Just run a few kms, the brake dust accumulates and makes nasty squeaking noises. Only solution is to clean it every 500 kms
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 18:39   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
One annoying with TVS vehicles is the brake drum noise. They simply cant figure a way out to keep it silent. Just run a few kms, the brake dust accumulates and makes nasty squeaking noises. Only solution is to clean it every 500 kms
Is your scooty being washed everyday ? Does anyone wash it on regular basis ?

If so avoid pouring water on the tyres, the screeching is mainly because of water seeping in thru the drums in my opinion.

Try this and see if you get a solution.
Old 27th May 2017, 20:38   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
For Jupiter, transmission oil change is required only once in a year, not every 3 months.
Please ask SA why clutch overhaul is needed in every service? If SA can't provide satisfactory/convincing answer don't do it (applies for other items as well). If SA insists on a particular service item, please check maintenance schedule in user manual.
Do brakes make screeching sound when you apply brakes? If not, no need to replace brake pads. Please inspect thickness of pads when your Jupiter goes for servicing next time.
Thank you for your quick reply. I will keep your suggestions in mind when I take my scooter for service next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
I too have a Jupiter which is about 2 years and 2 months old with 32xx kms on the odo.

Thanks a lot! You are correct, Jupiter's brakes squeal when not used for a long time (maybe 2-3 days).

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th May 2017 at 17:16. Reason: Merging consecutive posts. Please use the EDIT / QUOTE+ functions within 30 minutes of submitting the first post, instead of posting consecutively!
Old 28th October 2017, 18:47   #126
BHPian

Hi Friends,

Two days back I took the delivery of my favorite two wheeler TVS JUPITER CLASSIC (Sunlit Ivory).

Purchased from Ramkay TVS Adyar Chennai. I was happy with their professional service & commitment to customer. Very professional team.

Drive is good, smooth, very comfortable to drive. Some pictures.

I didn't opt for the the extra fitting (those steel pipes all around). Just took the stock vehicle. Enjoying the the drive!

TVS Jupiter or something else?-img_20171027_160224.jpg

TVS Jupiter or something else?-img_20171027_160218.jpg

TVS Jupiter or something else?-img_20171027_160211.jpg

TVS Jupiter or something else?-img_20171027_160204.jpg

TVS Jupiter or something else?-img_20171027_160159.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 29th October 2017 at 16:36. Reason: Spacing, image orientation corrected
Velmurugan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th March 2018, 19:09   #127
BHPian

TVS Jupiter automatic scooter to get fuel injection & combi-braking spied at TVS plant test track in Hosur. Launch soon.

Source

Attached Thumbnails
TVS Jupiter or something else?-jupiter_1.jpg  

TVS Jupiter or something else?-jupiter_2.jpg  

TVS Jupiter or something else?-jupiter_3.jpg  

TVS Jupiter or something else?-jupiter_4.jpg  

mayanksabharwal is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 11:03   #128
BHPian

Now I am really confused whether to wait for the Jupiter FI or go ahead and book the NTorq. NTorq with FI would be the icing on the cake but I guess we will have to wait a while for that to happen and I cant wait more than 3-4 months.
Old 22nd March 2018, 20:32   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avinash_R View Post
Now I am really confused whether to wait for the Jupiter FI or go ahead and book the NTorq. NTorq with FI would be the icing on the cake but I guess we will have to wait a while for that to happen and I cant wait more than 3-4 months.
Well the benefit of FI on a scooter like Jupiter which is already having a well sorted fueling with the carb itself would be negligible at most. Unless you only want the Sync brakes, it would be better to go for the Ntorq if you have taken a ride back to back with Jupiter and like the Ntorq in comparison.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 21:13   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Well the benefit of FI on a scooter like Jupiter which is already having a well sorted fueling with the carb itself would be negligible at most. Unless you only want the Sync brakes, it would be better to go for the Ntorq if you have taken a ride back to back with Jupiter and like the Ntorq in comparison.
NTorq makes sense when you compare it to Jupiter Classic's pricing. 3k odd more you get bigger scooter. NTorq makes Jupiter feel slow especially when moving from standstill.
nkrishnap is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2018, 16:46   #131
Senior - BHPian

I suffered a massive tyre blowout on my TVS Jupiter (5.5k kms done , 2 years old) in the past week.
I was travelling on the highway at around 60 kph, when I went over a huge screw. Heard a loud blast, and an instant grump grump grump associated with loss of pressure followed by metallic grinding.
Stopped by the side of the road , and evaluated the damage. The thing was wedged in deep, and had made a big hole in the surrounding tread pattern as well. Air had leaked off by the time I came to a stop.
Between using the tyre with a tube and a new tyre, I chose a Ceat 90/90 tyre from the nearest tyrewallah and had my pocket lightened of 1200 rupees.

Yes I overpaid, but I was not in a situation to bargain or look elsewhere. Surprisingly, I find the Ceat to be holding up better than the TVS Srichakra it replaced. There is hardly any tramlining now. This is the new tire I got, Nov 17 Make.

Throughout this though, I admire how well the scoot held its line after the flat, I could have been lying flat on the ground or wobbling heavily, but I was able to control it pretty well without even trying much.

The culprit :

TVS Jupiter or something else?-img_20180312_112740321_resize.jpg
sajo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2018, 19:24   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
I suffered a massive tyre blowout on my TVS Jupiter (5.5k kms done , 2 years old) in the past week.
Wow, that's quite a scary scenario. Good to know you are safe and the scooter did well.

I would go a step further and say any tyre would be better than TVS tyres. I believe TVS makes those tyres to save costs, instead of procuring it from other manufacturers. And TVS certainly lacks the experience of other tyre OEM manufacturers to make half as good products. They don't do well on any sort of surface.

On another note, any idea of the speeds you were doing at this time?
OrangeCar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2018, 19:29   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCar View Post

On another note, any idea of the speeds you were doing at this time?
I was doing about 60kph , could be +/- a few KMs. Yes, I agree, TVS tyres seemed to be the culprit here.
Old 27th March 2018, 17:19   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Surprisingly, I find the Ceat to be holding up better than the TVS Srichakra it replaced. There is hardly any tramlining now. This is the new tire I got, Nov 17 Make.
You are not the only one to suffer from TVS tyre bad quality. We had to change both tyres of TVS make on our Aviator. I chose Apollo that time and very happy with the quality. I was wondering if I am the only one who is suffering from bad tyre quality of TVS tyres.

CEAT is surprisingly coming up with good tyre quality. I have seen many people recommending their MILAZE range of car tyres. Even my uncle went for CEAT Activa tyres. He is quite happy with the tyre ride quality.

Last edited by turbodude : 27th March 2018 at 17:21. Reason: grammar mistakes
turbodude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2018, 17:26   #135
Senior - BHPian

Here is a comparative pic of the TVS and the Ceat tyre.

New Ceat :

TVS Jupiter or something else?-img_20180327_105657202_hdr.jpg

And the Srichakra it replaced (with the hole causing nail in it) :

TVS Jupiter or something else?-img_20180312_112631869.jpg
sajo is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks