Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2015, 12:10   #46
BHPian

Re: TVS Jupiter or something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
I wanted to buy a scooter for my parents for their market and temple visits.Zeroed in on TVS jupiter. On road cost for Jupiter is 63K. How much does the activa cost ? My parents liked red colour,might book that one.
Both the Jupiter and Activa cost about 60500/- in bangalore (source bikewale on road quote) whatever extra is for the fittings.

There is hardly a difference of Rs. 200/- between them. The seat comfort is far superior than Activa with the extra cushioning on the Jupiter. The only sore point is the rear footpegs which are set a little high on the Jupiter.

The list of features Jupiter has is long and none of the competition betters it. The build quality is superb and the mileage is excellent (I am constantly getting 47+ in city). All in all a perfect all round practical scooty for city rides.

The sheer number of Activa's that are sold here has made the attitude of Honda dealers and workshops very arrogant. There is no doubt that Activa is a very good, tried and tested product, but the service center guys cannot handle the number of customers that come for service and the rough attitude further dents the ownership experience.
The Great is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 12:16   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wanted to buy a scooter for my parents for their market and temple visits.Zeroed in on TVS jupiter. On road cost for Jupiter is 63K. How much does the activa cost ? My parents liked red colour,might book that one.
Check out the Scooty Zest 110 too. It has the same engine as the Wego/Jupiter, is more compact and cheaper than both Wego & Jupiter. IMO, it would better suit your parent's needs.

EDIT: One ownership review for your reference : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...hite-swan.html

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 14th September 2015 at 12:18.
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 13:22   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
Both the Jupiter and Activa cost about 60500/- in bangalore (source bikewale on road quote) whatever extra is for the fittings.

There is hardly a difference of Rs. 200/- between them. The seat comfort is far superior than Activa with the extra cushioning on the Jupiter. The only sore point is the rear footpegs which are set a little high on the Jupiter.

The list of features Jupiter has is long and none of the competition betters it. The build quality is superb and the mileage is excellent (I am constantly getting 47+ in city). All in all a perfect all round practical scooty for city rides.
I need to check with other dealers then. I did call one more dealer, he too quoted the same price . Do you have any other references other than the websites you have mentioned ? It will really help me out if I can save a couple of thousand bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Check out the Scooty Zest 110 too. It has the same engine as the Wego/Jupiter, is more compact and cheaper than both Wego & Jupiter. IMO, it would better suit your parent's needs.

EDIT: One ownership review for your reference : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...hite-swan.html

Cheers,
Vikram
Scooty is not bad , but we are all on the heavier side , Jupiter has wider seats and ride comfort felt better. Ocasionally if I use the Jupiter,it will not feel girlie . Scooty was always girly (no offence meant) . I am glad that my mom opted for Jupiter over scooty.

Last edited by girimajiananth : 14th September 2015 at 13:35.
Old 14th September 2015, 15:59   #49
BHPian

Quote:
I need to check with other dealers then. I did call one more dealer, he too quoted the same price . Do you have any other references other than the websites you have mentioned ? It will really help me out if I can save a couple of thousand bucks.

All the dealers play this game. They directly quote the price including the accessories. And apart from the steel guard all the other accessories are worthless. I was told that I will be given a premium pure leather keychain, it turned out that the keychain had the dealers name and address engraved on leather In fact the registration and Insurance also costs less if we do it on our own, but that increases a little more hassle.

All the other accessories can be bought from the aftermarket shops and I am sure Bangalore must have these shops in abundance too. The garage cover, hand grips, mobile charger, helmet etc all can be bought at a much cheaper rate with the same quality, if not better.

Also one important thing, the body of Jupiter is made of plastic and not metal so the Teflon coating does not make sense if the dealer is insisting on it tell him that the plastic will never rust and the engine is also made of aluminium.
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 18:00   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
All the dealers play this game. They directly quote the price including the accessories.
The quoted 63K price was without accessories.All dealers are quoting the same price. I will not be opting for the teflon coating or any of those things they are trying to lure me with. I might buy a helmet from the showroom which was quoted for 850Rs. The helmet(full face) looked decent enough though.
Old 26th January 2016, 21:05   #51
BHPian

Hi guys I am looking for a Jupiter now. Not interested in Meastro, or any other scooters. I already have an Activa 125.

I did have a test ride of Jupiter. The ride was very plush and much better than Activa 125.

One major question what I have is about the tvs tyres in Jupiter. I haven't seen any complains about it.

Jupiter owners please comment. Is it required to change the stock tyres with mrf or so?
Old 26th January 2016, 21:23   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
One major question what I have is about the tvs tyres in Jupiter. I haven't seen any complains about it.
Jupiter owners please comment. Is it required to change the stock tyres with mrf or so?
Not Jupiter but own a Wego. The tyres on the scooters from TVS are very good as compared to the crappy tyres they provide on their RTR and other commuters. Tyres inspire confidence in wet, dry grip is very good as well. No need to change the tyres from the get go at all! Hope it helps!
Old 26th January 2016, 22:01   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Hi guys I am looking for a Jupiter now. Not interested in Meastro, or any other scooters. I already have an Activa 125.

I did have a test ride of Jupiter. The ride was very plush and much better than Activa 125.

TVS tyres on Jupiter shall be no problem at all. I am using Jupiter; purchased recently. I do not think there will be any problems with the tyre. I have had a close look at the tyres and they look good by design.

It is a good vehicle. I suggest you not to change the stock tyres. When your tyres become due for replacement, that time you can make your choice.
Old 1st February 2016, 15:15   #54
BHPian

The Jupiter has tubeless tyres. Apart from one puncture, completely flawless performance for me in the past 18 months. No cause for concern
car.lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2016, 08:16   #55
Senior - BHPian

Since the gearless scooter discussion is closed, I am popping my question here. Me and the wife took TD of the Honda Aviator , Wego and the Jupiter. Wife found the Jupiter peppier than the Aviator. I found no perceptible difference.
I found the Jupiter's seat more comfortable, as well as more forgiving ride quality over bumpy roads. Aviator (and Activa, which the dealer didnt have for TD) has an infallible reputation for reliability and longevity. Aviator is about 1500 bucks more than the Jupiter, while Activa is nearly the same.
Even though they are said to have the same engine, the Wego we TR'd had an unbelievably smooth engine, much smoother than the Jupiter which we rode right after.
Will test the Activa (who came up with the name 3G?) and then decide between that and Jupiter.
Old 19th February 2016, 09:15   #56
Senior - BHPian

TVS Wego now comes with Combi braking which they call as Sync Braking Technology but Jupiter dont have this feature.!
Old 19th February 2016, 12:00   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Since the gearless scooter discussion is closed, I am popping my question here. Me and the wife took TD of the Honda Aviator , Wego and the Jupiter. Wife found the Jupiter peppier than the Aviator. I found no perceptible difference.
I found the Jupiter's seat more comfortable, as well as more forgiving ride quality over bumpy roads. Aviator (and Activa, which the dealer didnt have for TD) has an infallible reputation for reliability and longevity. Aviator is about 1500 bucks more than the Jupiter, while Activa is nearly the same.
Even though they are said to have the same engine, the Wego we TR'd had an unbelievably smooth engine, much smoother than the Jupiter which we rode right after.
Will test the Activa (who came up with the name 3G?) and then decide between that and Jupiter.
The Jupiter is indeed peppier and smoother than Activa and Suzukis. The mid range power is excellent right from 20kmph to 70kmph which is great to have in city driving. The power delivery and overall feel of the scoot is very smooth and not at all hasty or stressful.

All the other features are also better than any of the scooters in the market today.

In the last 7 months of ownership I haven't faced a single issue till date. And the mileage is constantly around 49 to 52 kmpl which is phenomenal. My wife finds it really easy to drive.
Old 19th February 2016, 20:37   #58
BHPian

Anyone have any idea about Hero Duet?
Found few people complaining about FE.
Rest everything look much better than competition.
It offers more value for money with metal body and many new features
Old 20th February 2016, 14:19   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
Anyone have any idea about Hero Duet?
Found few people complaining about FE.
Rest everything look much better than competition.
It offers more value for money with metal body and many new features
One of my friend reported that he was getting 49kmpl just before the 1st service (ODO reading 590kms). Will check again if any improvment on FE.
nairrk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 17:37   #60
Senior - BHPian

After much deliberation amongst our shortlisted choices (viz , Yamaha Fascino, Honda Aviator, Honda Activa and TVS Jupiter) , finally settled for a Jupiter.
The final price including accessories like guards all around, a mat, seat cover , grips , vehicle cover and the so called "Teflon coating" , extended warranty came to Rs.61636 in Pune.
I got a white specimen which was assembled on 30th Jan 2016 in the first shift of the day. Yes, a sticker on the number plate indicates what shift its assembled in too! Odo read 10.2 Kms when the keys were handed over.
Initial Impressions are :

Pros
- Pliant ride and big wheels.
- More than adequate power on tap.
- Storage bin can take my helmet, plus external fuel filler.
- Does not "feel" small and narrow like the Fascino, thanks to its generous footboard.
- Soft seat and relatively flat seat, comfortable for both pillion and rider.
- Third, fourth and fifth year warranty available for a reasonable amount.

Cons
- Engine not as refined as the Activa. Has a fuller exhaust note.
- Generic styling.
- Needs bigger brakes desperately. Does not brake as well as either the Aviator, Activa or even the Fascino.
- Piddly horn. Seriously, a safety feature like the horn needs to be better.

A couple of cell phone pics.

TVS Jupiter or something else?-img_20160224_131532306.jpgTVS Jupiter or something else?-img_20160224_131542721.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks