Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2016, 12:12   #76
BHPian

Re: TVS Jupiter or something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
Its a clear sign of a damaged cylinder wall. You must have also experienced a slight but noticeable power loss too.

Instead of an Engine rebuild (which is installing a bigger piston and boring the same cylinder), go for a new cylinder piston kit. It shouldn't be that expensive and will make your scoot factory formatted to new again. You will have to follow the run in procedure again.
Thanks for your reply. Do you think this can happen due to Bad Quality oil or Fuel. The cost quoted by Mechanics is close to 8K. Does this sound ok to you.

Also, is it good to get this done at a local mechanic or ASC ?
Old 5th May 2016, 12:37   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
The low-fuel warning is pretty conservative. If I tank up when the indicator turns permanently on (not flashing intermittently with vehicle lean), it barely takes in ~3.2 litres.
I have been running my Jupiter for close to 2 years and 4000 km now. Absolutely satisfied with it. FE is 45, engine smooth, brakes ok, pickup with p;illion is also ok.
Had a kat kat sound from the front while going over rough road but this was sorted out by the service center.
Low level fuel warning light comes on with 1.5 to 2 litres still in the tank.
After a day or two of not running the scooter I need to pull the choke and then it will start in 2-4 attempts.
Old 5th May 2016, 13:19   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
Thanks for your reply. Do you think this can happen due to Bad Quality oil or Fuel. The cost quoted by Mechanics is close to 8K. Does this sound ok to you.

This can happen due to normal wear and tear and depends on usage too. This is why I always use good quality oil although even a regular oil, if replaced in time shouldn't damage the cylinder as such unless the scoot as very old and very bad oil unchanged for long.
Old 5th May 2016, 14:38   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
If you have a trusted local mechanic who is not out to make merry and a considerable amount of profit from you, then stick to him. Most mechanics make the most money during engine rebuild and you cannot vouch for the workmanship of a rebore as well.

In order to understand if the quote is realistic, check in the service center for a new cylinder piston kit as mentioned by The Great. If it is anywhere close to 4-5k range then the quote seems close including the various seals, gaskets, oil, oil filter etc. I would not claim that service center has the best professionals but there will be one or 2 guys who are very good at their work and have good lot of experience with TVS Scooters. If you can find a person like that or have a good rapport with any of the service center techs, stick to the Authorized centers. If not, trusted local mechanic with a keen supervision on the job being carried out is the way to go.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2016, 01:41   #80
Senior - BHPian

My 2 week 600 km old Jupiter which came back from its 1st service today. The oil changed was synthetic from the ASC.

TVS Jupiter or something else?-20160714_184234.jpg

TVS Jupiter or something else?-20160714_184506.jpg

Last edited by Altocumulus : 15th July 2016 at 01:43.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2016, 19:47   #81
BHPian

Friends,
Planning to buy gearless scooter for office use and weekends.

Shortlisted below models:
1) TVS Jupiter ZX Sync Braking
2) Suzuki Access 125

TVS Jupiter:
Good initial pickup and can pull all the way till 60kmph. Liked the plush ride quality.
No thuds on pot holes or bumps. Liked both Single & two persons riding.
Can pull pretty well. Smooth engine. The test vehicle had few vibrations in idling.
Not sure if its an issue. Liked all the features and practicality.
Now confused on ZX model for Sync braking and normal braking.
Is this Sync Braking effective for city use?

Suzuki Access 125:
Pretty good engine. Lasts long for sure. The throtty sound of exhaust is good and eager to pull at good speeds. I am 5.6 and found the height of handle little uncomfortable.
Also, did not feel confidence on the brakes. Even though the front had telescopic, somehow i was feeling the bumps compared to Jupiter which was not the case.
Otherwise, it was breeze to drive and its torquey engine is very addictive.

Request users of both scooters to let know your reviews.
Have gone through the thread lot many times.

Thinking of booking by wednesday.
Old 20th November 2016, 20:27   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
Friends,
Planning to buy gearless scooter for office use and weekends.

Thinking of booking by wednesday.
Sync braking is simply another name for Combi braking that Honda sells. I have not come across any major read on the subject that suggests that Combi braking is more effective than regular brakes. As far as I know, its idiot proof, most of the two wheeler riders, especially ones that have graduated from bicycles tend to use the rear brake only to stop the two wheeler. What sync braking does is activate both front and rear brakes when you use the rear brake lever. Since the Jupiter is available without sync braking, and if there is a cost advantage, the non sync brake variant would do just fine, you could use the front brakes as per your judgement of the situation

Any specific reason you are leaving out the Activa?

Also, Fuel Injection models for all two wheelers are round the corner, if this is going to be a long term purchase, then I suggest you wait for some time. Who knows, carbureted two wheelers may be the next thing to go after diesel four wheelers
Old 20th November 2016, 23:07   #83
BHPian

Thanks @TheArun. We already have Activa since last 9 yrs used by dad.
Want to go for other brand for long term use. I hope Jupiter/Access serves for at least 5yrs. Migrating from MotorCycle to Autogear Scoot after 7yrs.
New Scoot will be used by Myself only. Will be used by my wife as she is still learning.
I actually found sync brakes have good bite.
Compared to Activa, i found Jupiter has lots to offer & VFM package.
My usage is 45kms per day for office-home commute. Do not want any backpain for sure.

I am aware of combi-brakes concept. But, would like to know some reviews from actual users of the same.

Last edited by blackstallion76 : 20th November 2016 at 23:11.
Old 21st November 2016, 11:03   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Want to go for other brand for long term use. I hope Jupiter/Access serves for at least 5yrs. Migrating from MotorCycle to Autogear Scoot after 7yrs.
New Scoot will be used by Myself only. Will be used by my wife as she is still learning.
I actually found sync brakes have good bite.
Compared to Activa, i found Jupiter has lots to offer & VFM package.
My usage is 45kms per day for office-home commute. Do not want any backpain for sure.

I am aware of combi-brakes concept. But, would like to know some reviews from actual users of the same.
We (our family of 3) have been using the Jupiter since two years, and extensively roughed it on the bad and non-existing internal roads of Pune. And no backache, touchwood.

I believe backache or any strain on the back is prevented by the subtle design of the Frame,and also the semi-stiff seat which provides good support to the back. And it still can cruise on 80kmph with Three (couple and a child) onboard. Jupiter has been our best choice yet!
yogesa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 14:30   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks @TheArun. We already have Activa since last 9 yrs used by dad.
Want to go for other brand for long term use. I hope Jupiter/Access serves for at least 5yrs.
Here is the NDTV CarandBike Review/Comparison about the Jupiter-Activa- Maestro:

Quote:
The TVS Jupiter, priced at 50,512 (ex-showroom Delhi) for the top-end ZX trim, is the second most expensive scooter in this shootout. And it excels on several fronts, while losing out on some. A refined engine and decent storage space certainly makes the Jupiter tick all the right boxes for prospective buyers. But it loses out on the extensive sales and service network provided by Hero or Honda.

Honda's workhorse - the Activa 3G - turns out to be the cheapest, priced at 49,500. If it's pure value for money one is looking for, there's nothing quite like the Activa 3G, supported by Honda's strong sales and service network. However, the more affordable price tag also means you miss out on several features that the competition provides.

As things stand, in this shootout, it's the TVS Jupiter which stands out as the winner, nudging out the Activa 3G.
Read the entire article to get a full picture.
yogesa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 16:34   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I get a sore neck if I ride our Jupiter for more than 20-30 minutes at a stretch. Maybe its just me, but for a 45kms commute, I would prefer my bike.
Old 22nd November 2016, 08:18   #87
BHPian

I observe in few reviews about issues like petrol leakage and heating issues in Jupiter.
Also, when i did test ride on bad roads/humps the rear gives a thud. Is it due to soft suspension.
Are these resolved now in latest models?

Compared to Jupiter, how does Suzuki Access 125 fares.
I know the engine is a gem. I am just worried on suspensions & braking.
Even though front is telescopic, i feel vibrations in hand on bad roads.
Rear suspension is stiff. Brakes are still just enough. The fit and finish of Suzuki Access is good and handling is good as well.
Old 22nd November 2016, 09:47   #88
BHPian

Quote:
I observe in few reviews about issues like petrol leakage and heating issues in Jupiter.
Also, when i did test ride on bad roads/humps the rear gives a thud. Is it due to soft suspension.
Are these resolved now in latest models?
I have never faced any of the above issues till date. My scooter is 1.5 yrs old and I am very very happy with it.

Quote:
Compared to Jupiter, how does Suzuki Access 125 fares.
I know the engine is a gem. I am just worried on suspensions & braking.
Even though front is telescopic, i feel vibrations in hand on bad roads.
Rear suspension is stiff. Brakes are still just enough. The fit and finish of Suzuki Access is good and handling is good as well.
Access is another great scoot, there is no doubt about it. For city commute its a decent bike.

Compared to Jupiter, I would say both are equally good.
The Great is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2016, 09:13   #89
BANNED

That's my Wego, the pic was taken in between a 750kms round trip. Sharing cause the Wego and Jupter share the same engine and are from similar platforms.

Riding comfort was awesome, mid to top end throttle response is commendable, it is the exact opposite of the Honda Activa when it comes to power delivery.
Attached Thumbnails
TVS Jupiter or something else?-1479958743247.jpg  

ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2016, 10:07   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My usage is 45kms per day for office-home commute. Do not want any backpain for sure..
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
I get a sore neck if I ride our Jupiter for more than 20-30 minutes at a stretch. Maybe its just me, but for a 45kms commute, I would prefer my bike.
Please consider a bike for your usage pattern. My daily commute is also a round trip of 45 kms, which I tried for 2+ years on my Wego (now sold). I had the same problem as Sajo, and no amount of posture or riding position change had any beneficial effect (I am 5'9'', just for your reference). Don't think it would be too different on a Jupiter or Access.

Cheers,
Vikram

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks