Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2015, 13:05   #151
Senior - BHPian

re: Royal Enfield trademarks the name "Himalayan" EDIT: Now unveiled!

I am going weak in my knees - Just perfect. Please do not add unwanted fairings and if at all fairings are added, please make sure that they can be removed in a jiffy.

This bike have all of what I have dreamed for long - chunky off road tyres with wheel spokes, lot of options to tie luggage, more than enough mounting points for all the auxiliary stuff I want to add, awesome tall riding stance, and if the news is true, a new 400 CC engine which don't feel like any RE in the current lineup.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 13:11   #152
Senior - BHPian

Talking of the chunky off road tyres. It seems to be shod with Ceat Gripp 19" front and 17" rear. Same as that of the Impulse!
man_of_steel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 13:39   #153
Senior - BHPian

Currently labelled the Himalayan, the bike has been caught in what appears to be a near production ready avatar. Unlike the images seen until now, the test mules seen here have a pillion seat as well. The Himalayan also features high set front and rear mudguards, metal side-guards mounted near the headlamp cluster, a carrier at the rear, dual purpose tyres, a monoshock rear suspension and an upswept exhaust.

Link to Team-BHP news article

The Royal Enfield Himalayan, now launched!-1.jpg

The Royal Enfield Himalayan, now launched!-3.jpg

The Royal Enfield Himalayan, now launched!-2.jpg

The Royal Enfield Himalayan, now launched!-4.jpg
Tushar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 14:08   #154
BHPian

Barring the Thunderbird tail lamps and indicators the bike looks all new to me. Should be an interesting offering from royal enfield. Eagerly waiting for this one , hope the 400cc mill doesn't disaapoint .
Old 29th July 2015, 14:13   #155
Senior - BHPian

Looks the deal and I hope the engine packs in sufficient punch to keep the vehicle chugging along at 130-140 all day long without issues.

Their last product rollout (GT) had real good quality (Compared to other RE bikes) and hopefully this betters all in their current line up
Old 29th July 2015, 14:14   #156
Senior - BHPian

The test models of RE Himalayan in the pics look mean and brawny. Looks like they mean business with this model when it comes to dual purpose motorcycles. The multiple mounting points are a boon when it comes to carrying luggage and camping equipment. This coupled with dual purpose tyres, high rise suspension and mono shock will really make this a capable tourer and an off roader motorcycle. If the reports are true about the engine being an OHC then RE surely is taking it to another level, it would be great if they also offer ABS. It is good that they are evolving and experimenting with this particular model. From the news it seems they will launch this model only in 2016 but it sure looks promising. RE should now concentrate on quality and after sales service to make a bigger print in terms of customer satisfaction and brand quality as their sales registers are already overflowing.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 29th July 2015 at 14:15.
Old 29th July 2015, 14:23   #157
Senior - BHPian

What i feel is that it is not at all in the final stages. If at all this is in the final stages i don't think just by the name people would expect or buy it by going with the looks. In India looks matters a lot.
Old 29th July 2015, 14:33   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Looks the deal and I hope the engine packs in sufficient punch to keep the vehicle chugging along at 130-140 all day long without issues. Their last product rollout (GT) had real good quality (Compared to other RE bikes) and hopefully this betters all in their current line up
Love the looks and very excited to see these pics. Really looking forward to the launch. I agree about the trend at RE - each new product has significantly improved in build quality over their predecessors. I'm sure RE will continue this trend with the Himalayan.

Btw, the only place in our country where one can keep chugging along a bike at 130-140 all day long without issues related to crazy traffic or dangerous terrain is on a treadmill. I don't think top notch performance will be a highlight of this bike.

Last edited by outofthebox : 29th July 2015 at 14:34. Reason: language
outofthebox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 14:59   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
..i don't think just by the name people would expect or buy it by going with the looks. In India looks matters a lot.
Not really. Indian market has evolved a lot beyond large curvy gloss painted panels, flashy graphics or chrome strips. There exist a good portion of enthusiasts (yours truly included) who consider this no-nonsense functional contraption of welded crash bars, matte painted minimalistic body panels and brawny look as beautiful as a Panigale's fairing. I would urge RE to keep this look as it is!

Last edited by man_of_steel : 29th July 2015 at 15:01.
man_of_steel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 15:01   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
I don't think top notch performance will be a highlight of this bike.
Come down south buddie, will show you places where you can hold on to that speeds. For sure not in the city and I meant this bike should be ridden more on the highways and the off roads.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 15:03   #161
BHPian

I have been following this thread with lots of expectation. I hope the engine would be a good one. I have the Continental GT for the last 11 months and done a moderate 5500 Km till date without any issue but for a change of cone. I am very happy with the performance of the bike. But Himalayan is really enticing me... The long travel forks and the upright position will help me in the long ride that I am planning. I will wait for upto a year after the release to get the feedback on the engine and then decide what to do. May be if I can buy the Himalayan or get the handle bars of the Himalayan and fix it on the GT since the forks might be the same in both.
Old 29th July 2015, 15:15   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Come down south buddie, will show you places where you can hold on to that speeds. For sure not in the city and I meant this bike should be ridden more on the highways and the off roads.
Yes I'm sure. Had a brief stint of two years in BLR and loved every minute of riding in and around. Will surely take up on your offer next time when any opportunity comes up.
outofthebox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 20:41   #163
BHPian

In my humble opinion, the whole point of buying a Royal Enfield is for it is classic looks. I don't see a point of buying a RE which looks like off roader from BMW / other international bike makers.

If they want to go in Triumph way, they really need to have sound Engineering skills which in my opinion they don't have. For decades, they only have a single cylinder engines (only 2) in crude form and the revisions are after getting help from AVL.

Don't get me wrong. RE is one of the brands I admire the most but I don't think this is their right way. Atleast hope they price it right.

Still I don't think this will be going to be great success. The purpose of owing a RE is to have the old world charm and this looks modern except the engine.

Current RE motorcycles are used every day. It is used for commuting. I see IT people in RE and they take it for touring as well. I don't think Himalayan will fare in this regard. One classic example is Hero Impulse.
amvj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 21:32   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
In my humble opinion .............. I don't see a point of buying a RE which looks like off roader from BMW / other international bike makers.

For decades, they only have a single cylinder engines (only 2) in crude form and the revisions are after getting help from AVL.

I don't think Himalayan will fare in this regard. One classic example is Hero Impulse.
I humbly disagree with all the above mentioned points.

There is a group of riders that will always associate REs with thump, looks, feel, soul, culture, history and the likes. They want their chrome, shiny paint et al

There's another group, that wants a motorcycle they can do it all on. Tour, go trail bashing, in relative comfort, at reasonably fast speeds (without feeling that the motorcycle is about to disintegrate into a gazillion pieces), carry luggage etc etc. These very guys are the ones that have been taking bullets places no one ever thought one could. Heck, these are the guys that have taken their bulls to events like "Raid De Himalaya"

I am also glad to note that the former kind of rider, one who is all about the looks and the shine and the blaahhh; is a dying breed. I see more people coming up who want a competent motorcycle without letting their judgement get clouded by a history lesson

As stated earlier; I have it from a VERY reliable source that this is unlike ANY Enfield EVER; and that we are all in for a pleasant surprise. You may take this update with a pinch of salt; dash of ketchup or whatever tickles your fancy. But having known this guy personally, seeing him RIP dirt and asphalt roads to shreds (basically a very gifted rider) and most importantly - extent of his association with the product in question (cannot divulge further details); I have full faith in his assessment

Lastly; comparo with Impulse is not fair. It was a good product; but lacked in many areas that did not sync well with the market. A relatively underpowered engine that would not let you cruise beyond 80 KMPH all day, issues with air fuel mix; especially on high altitudes, not exactly pillion friendly, a rear suspension that was non adjustable (while the same is adjustable in a unicorn.... Go figure) and general quality issues (like rust on the frame since day one)

If RE falters on the quality; this will flop too. I too have my apprehensions like I am sure many others here would also such as cost of spares, after sales (especially when the current crop of mechanics cannot fully deal with the relatively simple machines in most cases) etc. However; RE so far is doing everything right and I can hardly wait for it to be available for a test ride

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 29th July 2015 at 21:42.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 23:12   #165
BHPian

I am a bullet basher after having owned 2 of them, but I have to say this bike looks really promising and drool worthy. Just hope it isn't anything line they've rolled out so far, rooting for RE on this one
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks