Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2015, 18:58   #121
Senior - BHPian

re: Royal Enfield trademarks the name "Himalayan" EDIT: Now unveiled!

Me likey!!

I do wish the people spying such motorcycles provide more information such as the speed they saw the vehicle doing, how it sounded etc. Oh well, not everyone can be Team BHP

This is a test model so what we are seeing may not be the final avatar. But I fervently pray that the tyre combo is not what is being reported in the article - 18" front and a 16" rear. A more traditional 19 / 17 front / rear combo should work just fine. A 16 inch wheel seriously limits the aftermarket tyre options when its time for a change. Even for the much more common 17" size its not like we are spoilt for choice

And the front is definitely not a Sport Demon. The tyre in the pics has a more dual sport type of tread

Thanks for sharing
Old 18th May 2015, 19:10   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
..The motorcycle was recently caught on test and though camouflaged, the test mule revealed multiple key details.
All I can say is one thing. Top Job Royal Enfield!! You guys really acted upon customer interests! The following things caught my eye.

- The fuel tank looks huge. Hope it have a capacity near 20Ls
- The crank case on the engine looks chunkier than the UCEs
- Oil filter position is moved and there is an additional line originating from it. Wonder what it is!
- The tyres does not look like the Pirelli Sport Demon. It definitely looks like dual purpose ones
- The front disc rotor looks wierdly same as that of the Duke's
- The front fork is definitely not familiar. The wheel hub is offset forward similar to that of the first gen Classics
- Lastly, the handlebar looks high and wide enough for that stand up rides

PS: Is it only me or does that frame really looks like a semi double cradle one?

[EDIT] @urban_nomad. From the pics, I think the front is definitely 19" The rear looks like an 18 or 17!

Last edited by man_of_steel : 18th May 2015 at 19:16.
Old 18th May 2015, 19:11   #123
Senior - BHPian

Delicious, from the pics it looks like RE means business with this scrambler. With global names like Triumph, Norton, Ducati, etc. cashing in on scramblers it is now time for our very own RE to do the same. My guesstimate about the pricing would be around 2.5 lakhs. From the pics it looks like it has a decent ground clearance.

As I mentioned in other threads it would be great if RE uses an OHC Engine and bumps up the power of this 410cc to about 33-35 BHP while giving the same torque figure of 35 NM.

I too feel it is a doube cradle frame chassis from CGT. The rear swingarm looks similar to the CGT and the new Tbird.

Eagerly waiting for it.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 18th May 2015 at 19:18.
Old 18th May 2015, 19:35   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
A 16 inch wheel seriously limits the aftermarket tyre options when its time for a change
I didn't read the report but that looks more like a 17R 19F to me.

Yes if it was an enthusiast who spotted this we woulda gotten a lot more details

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
From the pics, I think the front is definitely 19" The rear looks like an 18 or 17!
Yep it the rim sizes look like its 19F/17R to me too!

What's a semi-double cradle frame? Maybe its just the picture but it looks to me like a single downtube.

Also that rear subframe looks quite purpose built. Crankcase being of different design than the uce, I suppose the oil lines had to be rerouted for the ohc setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Delicious, from the pics it looks like RE means business with this scrambler
Is it just me or does this look more like an Adventure motorcycle rather than a Retro scrambler. Especially w.r.t to that rear rim size.

Looks pretty darn good IMO.

Regards,

BOV

EDIT - I fear I may have to tip toe on this motorcycle, being on the shorter side of things

Last edited by B O V : 18th May 2015 at 19:39.
Old 18th May 2015, 19:50   #125
BHPian

Thanks for sharing this scoop Tushar.

Looks like they are down to the final stress testing rounds - this test rider is carrying some serious weight compared to the previous one!

The upswept exhaust appears to have taken some 'sideways' testing too.

Visually the bike still needs some final touches which hopefully will be taken care of:
1)both the exhausts seen so far are IMO a bit mismatched to the 'vintage' of this bike - I have a feeling something very cool is cooking here.
2)the frosted aluminium finish of front mudguard is also a mismatch with the rest of polished chrome trims.
3)the seat (rider & pillion) looks unfinished in both shots.

Overall the bike is shaping up great though - can't wait!
Old 18th May 2015, 20:17   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
What's a semi-double cradle frame? Maybe its just the picture but it looks to me like a single downtube.
Semi double cradle is half single down tube and half double cradle. Extremely popular and most used among dirt bikes. Even our Hero Impulse uses the same.

The Royal Enfield Himalayan, now launched!-2013yamahayz852strokemotorcyclephotos4.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
this test rider is carrying some serious weight compared to the previous one!
And loved his 'No! Not another paparazi!' look on his face in the second pic!

Quote:
2)the frosted aluminium finish of front mudguard is also a mismatch with the rest of polished chrome trims.
Seems like a direct lift from CGT. May be for testing purposes only.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 18th May 2015 at 20:24.
man_of_steel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 20:51   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Royal Enfield has been testing ............around, features an upward facing ‘off-road’ exhaust.

Link to Team-BHP news article

Attachment 1372061

Attachment 1372062
Thank you for sharing.

Some observations. Suspension travel up-front does'nt seem very generous...looks like the same amount as a t-bird. Rear seems like a lot but only a test ride will tell...but by the looks of that huge gap bet'n the rear tire and the sub-frame, think they have a pretty looong-ish shock in there.

Triple clamps look solid and strong. Observe the flush fitted fork-brace on the front mud-guard..neat touch. Not enough clearance bet-n front mud-guard and tire. This will be a problem while negotiating deep slush. Seating position seems comfy enough. I like the fact they did'nt give it the sit-up-feet-forward-&beg position like in the impulse...this seems a bit more committed and will definitely improve rear-end feel. Exhaust seems like a better quality item than the one shown in the previous spy pic. Would have been better if they were routed through the frame and exited next to the rear- seat..like in the Impulse..this would have surely increased its water wading ability.

Tank is definitely a steel item, I think, as it seems to be badly corroding. Wheels look like a 19",17" combo.

Seats seem to be the split type. Hopefully RE has made the rear-seat easily detachable with a handy rack in its place. Cant find any bungee hooks at the rear though...may be they are hidden?..hopefully. Bars dont seem very wide from the angle the pic was taken. That additional oil line routed from the case might be a feed pipe to an oil cooler?? just a guess.

Over-all it looks like a competent product. Get it soon RE but produce enough to start with so people dont die of old age before they get to see what they paid for. Oh..and please fix all the niggles before you put it on sale and not let the customers do your testing for you.

Last edited by nitro.1000bhp : 18th May 2015 at 20:54.
Old 19th May 2015, 09:14   #128
BHPian

Although I have heard about the Himalayan from reliable sources, which obviously is Team-Bhp and X-Bhp, I have my doubts whether this is actually a Royal Enfield in the picture. The reason is plainly because, if the motorcycle in question is using the same 350cc UCE engine with a bit more displacement, the drive chain has to be on the right side, on the picture, it looks like it is on the left side like the good old Royal Enfield cast iron ones. I wonder this may be one of the reasons they are testing it extensively. Something tells me the motorcycle in the picture is something else. I might be wrong too.
Old 19th May 2015, 12:04   #129
Senior - BHPian

I just feel, readers and members should not click photographs of such under-test vehicles while they are being ridden on. The actions of the photographer, chasing the vehicle can be distracting to the rider, or the rider might decide to avoid it, and god forbid, could meet with an accident. Even the person trying to click the photo could get distracted and end up in hurting self or others on the road.

I strongly feel such instances should be avoided just to fulfil our curiosity of new and upcoming vehicles in Indian roads.

However, one may click as many shots as they want when both the vehicles are stationary and safely off the road.
Old 20th May 2015, 09:30   #130
Senior - BHPian

An article in Motor beam says the engine will have 30bhp from a 410cc single.
Not sure how they arrived at that figure.

http://www.motorbeam.com/2015/05/bikes/royal-enfield-bikes/royal-enfield-himalayan-caught-testing-new-details-emerge/
Old 20th May 2015, 10:21   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post

I just feel, readers and members should not click photographs of such under-test vehicles while they are being ridden on. The actions of the photographer, chasing the vehicle can be distracting to the rider, or the rider might decide to avoid it, and god forbid, could meet with an accident. Even the person trying to click the photo could get distracted and end up in hurting self or others on the road.
If they are so concerned with secrecy, perhaps they should test in an off-public facility?

In fact RE should be thankful to the paparazzi, which always keeps RE's name in the news - whether for 400 cc engine, or the 750cc twin or Himalaya. Free publicity.
alpha1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 10:52   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Not sure how they arrived at that figure.
These guys are an absolute disgrace to the community. All these are stunts to lure people into their sites and make money off their page hits!

They authoritatively speculated (before launch) that the RC390 would touch 200kmph due to different gearing. In another instance they authoritatively said that they have got an insider information from Bajaj that a team is working on the 390 Adventure in its final phase of testing!
Old 20th May 2015, 10:57   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Royal Enfield has been testing a new motorcycle that has been labelled the Himalayan. The motorcycle was recently caught on test and though camouflaged, the test mule revealed multiple key details. The motorcycle has been caught on test yet again and this time around, features an upward facing ‘off-road’ exhaust.

Link to Team-BHP news article
Somehow, the stance looks a bit higher, or, is the rider a short fellow? The pillion seat and rear mudguard needs to be lowered a bit to stem a real beauty out of it.
Old 20th May 2015, 12:36   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
I just feel, readers and members should not click photographs of such under-test vehicles while they are being ridden on
Such spy shots are nothing new really.

I'm sure the testers will expect people to take photographs of the respective vehicles they are on and will ride/drive in a safe manner always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I wouldn't go by their news.

Especially since they can't differentiate between a Continental gt's (looks like it) tail lamp and a Thunderbirds tail lamp.

Quote:
The tourer was equipped with the Thunderbird’s tail light which could be specific to the test mule.

Regards,

BOV
Old 20th May 2015, 23:06   #135
BHPian

Came across this custom W800 called the Clubman, by LSL Motorradtechnik, Germany. A source of 'inspiration' perhaps?

The Royal Enfield Himalayan, now launched!-lslkawasakiw8004.jpg
outofthebox is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks