Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2009, 16:59   #361
Senior - BHPian

Guy, lets keep this thread only for mods on Sankar's ZMA. For discussing other mods on ZMA please use This Thread
Old 29th January 2009, 19:54   #362
BHPian

Hey techno, I wonder where u keep moving my posts/pics and what changes are done. The auto pop msg leaves me clueless. Anyways, back to the topic.
Old 5th February 2009, 09:31   #363
Senior - BHPian

Guys, is the timing curve of the Karizma R model different from the timing curve of the old Karizma? Have HH fiddled with the timing of the new one so as to improve fuel economy or something? It's very much probable that they do something like this.

I compared the CDIs of my Karizma and a friend's older Karizma. Part numbers are the same for both old and new. But, there is a difference in the way the bike performs after i plugged in the old CDI, i can see a difference in the way the bike eagerly pulls from the mid to tops. When i rode my frend's old Karizma i could see this behaviour in it which my bike lacked, this made me to do the CDI swap. That bike is stock everything.
Old 6th February 2009, 10:29   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Guys, is the timing curve of the Karizma R model different from the timing curve of the old Karizma? Have HH fiddled with the timing of the new one so as to improve fuel economy or something? It's very much probable that they do something like this.

I compared the CDIs of my Karizma and a friend's older Karizma. Part numbers are the same for both old and new. But, there is a difference in the way the bike performs after i plugged in the old CDI, i can see a difference in the way the bike eagerly pulls from the mid to tops. When i rode my frend's old Karizma i could see this behaviour in it which my bike lacked, this made me to do the CDI swap. That bike is stock everything.
The other Karizma (the old one) now lacks the midrange punch it earlier had. It's now running my Karizma's CDI. My friend, the owner of the other Karizma, also felt the same difference as i did. I'm keeping the old Karizma's CDI
Old 7th February 2009, 01:13   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I dont think so.
btw is the old karizma you are referring to a pre 2005 model?
Old 7th February 2009, 07:19   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I dont think so.
btw is the old karizma you are referring to a pre 2005 model?
Yes it's a pre 2005 model.
Well, it made a marginal difference to both our bikes after we swapped out the CDI, nothing but only the CDI.

Edit: Anything different in a pre 2005 model?

Last edited by Sankar : 7th February 2009 at 07:21.
Old 7th February 2009, 07:34   #367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes it's a pre 2005 model.
Well, it made a marginal difference to both our bikes after we swapped out the CDI, nothing but only the CDI.

Edit: Anything different in a pre 2005 model?
No,visually not.
but my friend has a Sep 2003 model zma and it still kicks the crap out of later versions.its one of the best zma i have ridden.
Old 7th February 2009, 07:40   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
No,visually not.
but my friend has a Sep 2003 model zma and it still kicks the crap out of later versions.its one of the best zma i have ridden.
I knew there's something different about those early bikes, CDI is assume is one. He's selling his Karizma so i'm retaining the CDi
Old 8th February 2009, 10:17   #369
Senior - BHPian

Yes the first lot were indeed slightly quicker & gave less FE the 2nd one which I had(with different rear drum assembly & poor stickers) was slightly better in FE. I rode the latest one & the noticeable difference was the handle & hence slightly the posture. Couldnt find much difference in performance though as it has been really long that I had my ZMA.
Old 8th February 2009, 13:20   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Yes the first lot were indeed slightly quicker & gave less FE the 2nd one which I had(with different rear drum assembly & poor stickers) was slightly better in FE. I rode the latest one & the noticeable difference was the handle & hence slightly the posture. Couldnt find much difference in performance though as it has been really long that I had my ZMA.
Techno thanks for confirming my doubts Man, what was different in the rear drum assembly. I see that the brake assy plate (cover of the hub where the brake cam and liners are mounted) is differently shaped around the edges on my bike compared to my friend's (you know him Varghese, CBZ Karizma yahoo groups) bike. And what's different about the handlebar? i didn't find any difference between the two bikes. Seats are plusher on the new R ones making you sit lower compared to the old bikes, maybe that's why you felt the difference in handlebar.

And yes the fuel bars have started to fall more rapidly after the CDI swap
Old 8th February 2009, 17:55   #371
Senior - BHPian

I have a 2006 zma, so the cdi is same as the new zma-r? or is it similar to pre-2005 model (i gues those has embossed karizma written on the fuel tank).
Old 9th February 2009, 12:39   #372
Senior - BHPian

Sankar yes the difference was in Shape of the drum, the earlier ones were conical & the later ones were flat (or was it the other way, I dont remember)

Well actually it was the owner of the ZMA R who said that he has measured the handle with old one & found the new one to be shorter probably it was the seats then which gave me a different feeling.
Old 9th February 2009, 14:19   #373
Senior - BHPian

Motomaverick, i don't know when they started to sell the karizma with newer type CDI. Part numbers are the same for both the old and the latest R CDIs. Swap your CDI withh an R or the first model to see if there's any difference.

Techno, it's the other way round, new ones conical and old ones flat.
Old 16th February 2009, 20:40   #374
Senior - BHPian

Right now i have the TM32 with stock pipe and by far this is the best combi i've ever got yet. The automech pipe was great with stock carb, i even tried it with tm32, but since my oe silencer was stolen and i got it back i just thought i'll put that on the bike for a while. I've been running tm32 with automech pipe when i decided to do this. Strange it may seem, but the TM32 is performing very well with the stock pipe, the best it ever did! I wasn't expecting this least bit. The mid to top seems to have really come alive with the stock pipe and tm32 carb. 3rd gear will do 100kmph, 4th will top out at 120 and 5th did 130 and the road ran out, it was still accelerating. The bike don't have a fairing now, so with the fairing it should be better i guess, no crouching either. I did this on my usual level flat road. Acceleration has also improved a lot, bike just shoots forward after 5000rpm. Pretty happy i must say.
Old 16th February 2009, 21:04   #375
Senior - BHPian

maybe the CDI has done a difference.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks