Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2009, 15:27   #331
Senior - BHPian

wow that must be first i.e. converting to steel rims from alloys

I think you should check out rims from CBZ & old Unicorn.

Btw you have insurance right? get them replaced man
Old 19th January 2009, 16:51   #332
Senior - BHPian

Yep Kedar it might be a first! First defairing the Karizma and now alloy to wire wheels. You think the CBZ/Unicorn hub would suit the Kari? If yes then great!

After having brought up on many bikes but all with wire wheels I'm used to riding hard over potholes and broken stretches. When i bought the Karizma i had this worry on my mind as to how long the alloys would withstand the abuse. Some said the Karizma wheels are pretty strong, well it might be compared to other alloy wheels, but it's not as rugged as a wire wheel. I would be much more comfortable on wire wheels as the terrain i ride over is not always smooth tarmac. Another plus point of a wire wheel is that it can absorb shocks better than rigid alloys.

Many advised me to go for tubeless tyres. If i had a tubeless tyre i would've been stranded on the road today as the air would leak when the wheel got bent. It had a tube tyre and so i was able to make it to office in time. Btw there's a small crack on the sidewall of the tyre after it hit the ditch.
Old 19th January 2009, 17:23   #333
Senior - BHPian

Karizma defairing has been done by many so wasnt a first :-)

I have suggested Uni & CBZ as they are from Honda & with 18 inch wheels, not sure if they would be of any help though.

Quote:
Many advised me to go for tubeless tyres.
That included me too I believe. Well may be your riding conditions & requirements are different as I would still strongly suggest a PSD to any one for a ZMA

I too had managed to bent both my front & rear Alloys with no damage to stock tyres whatsoever(had hit a big pothole at 120) & also did my Hyderabad trip with bend mags.

Last edited by Technocrat : 19th January 2009 at 17:25.
Old 19th January 2009, 18:52   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroid View Post
...Who says, you loose reliability with mods? Again it depends on what exactly u doing. Not group B specs for sure. Well if a stock bike itself is thrashed day in a day out, it will wear faster than a well maintained and well ridden modified engine. ...
Good point Joel.
But the biggest problem IMO is to find a knowledgable guy for the mods.
Old 19th January 2009, 20:43   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Karizma defairing has been done by many so wasnt a first :-)

I have suggested Uni & CBZ as they are from Honda & with 18 inch wheels, not sure if they would be of any help though.

That included me too I believe. Well may be your riding conditions & requirements are different as I would still strongly suggest a PSD to any one for a ZMA

I too had managed to bent both my front & rear Alloys with no damage to stock tyres whatsoever(had hit a big pothole at 120) & also did my Hyderabad trip with bend mags.
Yes i know that and i have seen many defaired Karizmas. I was referring to what i did, ie., first defairing the karizma and now (secondly) thinking de-alloying the karizma.

Tubeless tyres are a good but if the rims are not damaged. When there is a chance of wheel getting damaged, the tube type tyre will get me home. Steel wire wheels are much stronger, mostly due the the way the wheel is made. It's possible to try out different wheel combinations with spoked wheels that's an attraction to me. If i get new alloys, eventually it will also get bent. That's another reason that's pulling me towards wire wheels.
Old 19th January 2009, 20:59   #336
BHPian

got my bike repaired after a major accident the bill came to around 42K but i was surprised to see that the most costliest single part in the whole bill was the Front wheel assembly it costs a Whooping 6530Rs, just for the Font Wheel

My bike's a Unicorn.
Old 19th January 2009, 22:03   #337
BHPian

Great mods Sankar.

I am planning to install a ZMA headlight on my CBZ. How much does the naked headlight cost ?
What about the indicators ?

You can install the license plate just beneath the headlight...right ?

Last edited by quadra : 19th January 2009 at 22:06.
Old 19th January 2009, 23:02   #338
Senior - BHPian

Headlamp is approximately 1300 bucks. Rear indicators cost 240 bucks each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
got my bike repaired after a major accident the bill came to around 42K but i was surprised to see that the most costliest single part in the whole bill was the Front wheel assembly it costs a Whooping 6530Rs, just for the Font Wheel

My bike's a Unicorn.
42K?? What all was changed on the bike? Insurance paid up i guess
Old 20th January 2009, 00:14   #339
BHPian

Everything excluding the engine(one side crankcase was also replaced) one of my ice installer died in the accident and the other guy who was piloting is still in coma yep the 30K got from insurance rest will have to pay up . Oh Sorry for going off topic.
Old 20th January 2009, 07:24   #340
Senior - BHPian

Oh.. that's bad news man. May the soul RIP.
Old 20th January 2009, 14:45   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tubeless tyres are a good but if the rims are not damaged. When there is a chance of wheel getting damaged, the tube type tyre will get me home.
Exactly. you have a special case where tubeless wont do any good, people wouldnt have recommended tubeless if this was known :-)
Old 20th January 2009, 15:11   #342
BHPian

Sankar,

Do you know if I can get a TM32 in Bangy. Thinking of one for my bull 500. What say?

You are so right about the alloy v/s wire wheels. A buddy of mine rode to leh from Bangy on his 1200GS and managed to completely mess up his alloy wheel. He has put in the wire wheels now.

Guess even the toughest of alloys cant take too much of a beating :(
Vijay

Last edited by prabhuav : 20th January 2009 at 15:20.
Old 20th January 2009, 17:31   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
Sankar,

Do you know if I can get a TM32 in Bangy. Thinking of one for my bull 500. What say?
Bro, I got this TM32 from my friend, but you know why? The TM32's height wouldn't clear the chassis of the Bullet 500

But the roundslides like VM32 or the Amal concentric would fit without any issues.
Old 22nd January 2009, 15:58   #344
Senior - BHPian

Sankar, here is some food for thought for you

Raid Ride: Custom Bike Karizma-CRF
Old 22nd January 2009, 17:41   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Sankar, here is some food for thought for you

Raid Ride: Custom Bike Karizma-CRF
That's more CRF than a Karizma. I read about it in the Bike Magazine The guy even imported a CRF frame to create that. I don't wish to go down that path man. It'll cost a lot of dough.

Here's a pic of a raid Karizma, except the suspension bits it's all Karizma. It belongs to someone i know.

My Karizma Mods & Ideas!-01172009.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks