Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2012, 21:43   #991
BHPian

Re: RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by datvichrox2 View Post
Thanks ArizonaJim, I had no idea that this sounds like piston slap. I started reading about piston slap after reading your response and I too feel the same. And the fact that it is most prominent when engine is cold, also adds to the symptoms. I've sent the audio clip to my dealer as well, will be visiting the workshop this saturday for the last free service.

Randhawa had mentioned long ago that the UCE design itself is prone to piston slap seeping in. Gotta search for that post.
This is interesting. Can you please share updates if you got from dealer, if any?
By the way where did you gave it for servicing?

Thanks,
Pradip.
Old 16th July 2012, 23:53   #992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
This is interesting. Can you please share updates if you got from dealer, if any?
By the way where did you gave it for servicing?

Thanks,
Pradip.
Hi Pradip,

I am collecting my bike tomorrow. Spoke to them on the phone about the engine sound, they have said they don't hear anything unusual (sort of expected this answer).

Recently I've been going to the RE owned service station, behind shoppers stop. I feel they are generally better than Teknik, Ibblur, where I went until second service.

Long list of complaints I gave this time, I hope atleast some of them are fixed.
Old 17th July 2012, 10:53   #993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot_Vishwas View Post
Update:
I brought a Sunset Red Yamaha R 15.
Got pissed with RE Dealerships and their "Chalta Hai" attitude.
But I still envy these creations and hope to get my own when I start earning.
I had just three companies in mind before my hunt for a bike began(RE,Bajaj and TVS;I'm terribly biased when it comes to Indian companies) but barring TVS, Bajaj and RE companies have bad dealerships here so I got the R 15.
Wish me luck!
Congratulations! That's a good choice, I think. The R15-s quality and fit and finish impressed me big time. I don't think that you might run into any serious issue with that one any time soon. I went about the same route as you did- I bought a red CBR instead of a C3.

What turned me off about the C3 was the carburetor splitting through on the test ride bike and the numerous quality complaints. Another thing that cheesed me off was the vague replies to the delivery date. I had booked for a C3 on February and they had promised me delivery on the last of June. The end of June came and they said my C3 would be delivered only on September end. I can live with long waiting periods, but this kind of postponement or extensions never fails to irritate me to no end.
The experience with the CBR was a complete opposite of this- I got the bike fully registered in two days flat after payment.

Also, at the service center, the mechanics were taking turns to blast brand new bikes really hard (esp.500-s) due for delivery to customers like they owned them. I don't know if this is usual, but that hurt me big time. I hate that kind of a callous attitude- I would have gone medieval on them if it came to my knowledge that this was being done to my bike before delivery.

I don't think that Bajaj's that bad though. My bro bought an Avenger the same time I bought my CBR and I like it. The quality of parts is miles ahead of RE and I think it's pretty good VFM except for some rough edges like the poor gearbox and the soft rear suspension.

The Bajaj dealers here & in my hometown were quite good- in fact they were better than Honda or RE's. Haven't checked out TVS yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.shekhar View Post
Congratulations on your new R15, hope you have a really good time with it.

I had been facing the same dilemma for the past few days - really wanted to buy the CE350 but the lax attitude and the long waiting period made me choose the R15.
Will be booking one this Monday.

The love for the RE Classic still remains but I think I'll get it at a later point of in life - when i'm earning, have a few other cars and a Thar parked in my Garage.
Congrats on your R15 too! I was torn between a C3 and the Ceeber for about a year or so. Bought the latter and am enjoying it immensely despite my initial misgivings.

I still love them Classics- I would go so far as to call them the most beautiful Indian bikes ever made. What a timeless design. Maybe I'll buy an RE product after they have woken up to the need for better QC and servicing. As far as I'm concerned, RE needn't innovate much nor bring out any more new models (except that Cafe Racer about time it came out..)- RE's brand equity is extremely strong and they enjoy almost a mythical cult status. They just need to improve the manufacturing and service quality (after and before sales).
evilmessiah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 13:10   #994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by datvichrox2 View Post
Hi Pradip,

I am collecting my bike tomorrow. Spoke to them on the phone about the engine sound, they have said they don't hear anything unusual (sort of expected this answer).

Recently I've been going to the RE owned service station, behind shoppers stop. I feel they are generally better than Teknik, Ibblur, where I went until second service.

Long list of complaints I gave this time, I hope atleast some of them are fixed.
Humm, believe me I too thought something similar outcomes. Anyways all the best .
I too gave my bile for last servicing there, but they are OK. I mean I am quite disappointed and had little argument there too. but there was so called miscommunication regarding my bike's battery change and they didn't put battery, cover and some connections and without that they delivered it. no proper cleaning was done with excuse that the pump was not working so no pressure wash, which they promised me to do free of cost in next servicing.

Keep us posted on your outcomes.

Thanks.
pradipk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2012, 10:31   #995
BHPian

Hi experts, Will a leak in the inlet valve rocker cover gasket lean out the air fuel ratio like a vacuum leak ?
regards adrian
Old 19th July 2012, 03:44   #996
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Hi experts, Will a leak in the inlet valve rocker cover gasket lean out the air fuel ratio like a vacuum leak ?
regards adrian
It shouldn't.

The cover only covers the rocker arm, the valve spring, valve stem and the upper end of the pushrod that conveys the movement of the valve lifter to the rocker arm. There is no open communication between this area and the engines inlet except for the hole thru the valve guide and it is plugged with the valve stem.

The only thing a leak in the gasket will do is to allow oil to seep out onto the top of the engine.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2012, 21:17   #997
BHPian

Hi everyone, anyone here successful with an rpm meter on the new machines ?

Would really love to have one of the rpm meters like in the above video in my machine. Now would it show the correct rpm in the new uces ? and is the T-birds rpm meter a fit for the other uces?
regards adrian
Old 21st July 2012, 04:41   #998
Distinguished - BHPian

No. The tach shown will not work on a fuel injected UCE.

This tach needs to have the old style breaker points to tell it the speed of the engine.
The new UCE's use a coil that reads the crankshaft position by measuring magnetic pulses from the alternator rotor and then calculates the correct time to fire the spark in the spark plug.

If you can find a tach that uses a sensor that attaches around the outside of the spark plug wires insulation to measure the speed of the sparks it would probably work.

These inductive coil pickups sensors are often found on shop equipment like timing lights and occasionally tachometers.

On the negative side of these is I haven't seen a tachometer like this anywhere for a long time.

I don't know what the tach is using on a T-bird.
Old 21st July 2012, 13:26   #999
BHPian

Thanks Jim, How about the non fuel injection types ? The 350s are all carburetted versions. As you said, the rpm meters with the inductive pickups are the best bet. But unfortunately we don't have them for sale here (actually we cannot find a can of starter fluid, a spark plug gauge tool or a pulse engine tachometer in the automobile shops) The Thunderbird wiring diagram shows the tachometer connection in it which makes it an electronic type and so a dim ray of hope still exists

Everyone might be thinking "why this big fuss on the tachometer"? Well, it will be of great help during a carb tuning, easy to find out about vacuum leaks with the rpm needle monkeying around. You know, for this reason I am jealous of the Thunderbird guys. One more question : the rpm meter of the T-bird, does it come solo or as a full unit with the odometer and all that ?
regards adrian

Last edited by adrian : 21st July 2012 at 13:30.
Old 21st July 2012, 16:20   #1000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
for this reason I am jealous of the Thunderbird guys. One more question : the rpm meter of the T-bird, does it come solo or as a full unit with the odometer and all that ?
regards adrian
Did you take a look at phitesla's Radon ? Made in B'lore:
phitesla | products
john doe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2012, 04:48   #1001
Distinguished - BHPian

adrian:
As I think about it, that tachometer might work if it were attached to the powered side of the ignition coil.

With a points/condenser system the ignition points are closed most of the time which passes electrical current thru the ignition coil to charge it.
When the ignition points open the current flow stops and the collapsing magnetic field induces the high voltage in the 'secondary windings' to create the spark.

If the motorcycle is using a coil to create the spark its operation would be the same as the points/condenser system.
If the powered side of the coils connection were tapped into by the tachometer wire it (in theory) should operate the tachometer.

I'm just guessing that it might work and if I am wrong either it won't work at all or it could burn out the circuits in the tach.
Old 22nd July 2012, 08:57   #1002
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian
. One more question : the rpm meter of the T-bird, does it come solo or as a full unit with the odometer and all that ?
regards adrian
RE sells it as an entire set, including the speedo and console.
theMAG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 09:59   #1003
BHPian

@John : Thanks for your time friend, I had read about the Radon, but decided against it as it alters the originality of the Bullet (I am an orthodox bullet guy and loves analog guages). If it had used the inductive pickup, then I would have definitely considered it as a hook up tacho.

@ Jim and Mag : Thanks for the enlightenment.

So here are my options :
1. Go for the TB-500 meter if it suits standard uce ( Primary choice)
2. Go for the TB-350 meter.
3. And if the above two fails : Live with the hook up tachometer, the Oppama PET-1000.
regards adrian
Attached Thumbnails
RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-1.jpg  

RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership-2.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 28th July 2012, 10:23   #1004
BHPian

Hi experts, more problemos !
Lately while I was cleaning the M-14 plug in my bike I found out that it is W5DC instead of WR5DC. Either it came as stock or was swapped during the service. I am really stupid not to have notice it till date. My questions are :

1. Will a non resistor type like the W5DC would have interfered with the TCI / electronic components of my bike ?

2. Is there a chance that the service changed it to non resistor type for some technical reason ?

3. Should I change it to WR5DC (actually I have bought one immediately after I noticed the swap) myself or take it to the service ?
Thanks in advance
regards adrian
Old 29th July 2012, 21:37   #1005
BHPian

I have been facing battery issues with my Classic 350 and need some advice.

I bought a 2.5 month old used Classic 350 about 8 weeks ago. The bike ran fine for around 10 days but then the electric start stopped working and the battery died after a few days. I then took it to the dealer where a mechanic checked the wiring but found no issues. He then charged the battery up and returned the bike the following day. The bike then ran without any problems for about 5 days and then the electric start stopped working again and the battery started dying out. I then took the bike to the dealer on the next day and the chief mechanic decided to replace the bike under warranty and gave me a spare battery for the time being.

The bike again ran for a few days but the electric start started giving problems once again. At this point I decided to stop using the electric start. This prevented the battery from dying out but I noticed something new. At night the horn wouldn't work if the headlights were switched on. This made me think that the wiring to the headlamp may be faulty but when I discussed this with the mechanic, he said that this was because of the quality of the spare battery and that the problem would go away after I got the replacement battery.

The battery finally arrived today and was put into the bike. But on reaching home when I went through the delivery note for the battery, I realized that the battery was not a new one but the same one I had earlier. Exide didn't find any issued with my battery, so they returned it. The bike is running ok right now but I fear that the problems would return soon.

I have noticed something else today. While riding with the headlamps, the ammeter stays negative at low rpm and comes to zero at high rpm but never goes into positive. Is this normal for Classic 350s? The reason I ask this is because, I use to ride my bike only at night during the first 3 weeks of my ownership and so the battery was never getting charged and it kept dying. However, if this isn't normal then there is probably some problem with the electricals. Please advice.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks