Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2016, 07:14   #2656
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Majority of the dealers think of the Primacy series when PS3 is mentioned, whereas for this size the correct series is the Pilot Sport 3ST. Your local 'certified' Michelin dealer would be the best place to source this from.
The dealer who I regularly go to is a major dealer for Michelin. I specifically mentioned Pilot Sport 3 instead of just PS3 during our discussion and I think he too understood it right. I will confirm once again though.

The biggest decision for me now is whether to upsize to 17" wheels or stay with 16".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
There is another shop opened up which stock's only michelin tyres, I will pay him a visit too.
Please do update the availability when you talk to the dealer(s). Also, please find out if these are fresh stock or the old 2011 stock which many other TBHP members had to go for.

Last edited by graaja : 8th July 2016 at 07:16.
Old 8th July 2016, 08:38   #2657
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Thanks Adi. I would like to upgrade to 225. I guess any wider is not required. Following are the options for 225 width.

16" - 225/50/R16
17" - 225/45/R17

One issue with 225/50/R16 is the availability of this size in Michelin PS3. I just spoke to my tire dealer and he said PS3 is not available in this size. On the other hand 225/45/R17 is available and the price is 12.5K.

Also, if I decide to stick with 16", I will stay with OE wheels and and the little extra protrusion of the tires is fine. You are using this combination and Chethan_BG is also using this in Jetta and both of you have given positive feedback.

That is exactly why I would like to go with wider tires

Thanks Tanveer. I thought only the width matters in acceleration. So, a 225 tire on 17" will have the same effect on acceleration as a 225 tire on 16", right. What the 17" will provide will be better cornering due to reduced sidewall flex.

Also, the 225/50/R16 Michelin PS3's are not available. Did you find any dealer who has these in stock?
My experience with these tyres says that for normal road use the improvement in handling with 225/45/17 vis a vis 225/50/16 is very marginal. The deterioration in ride quality will be more pronounced than the improvement in handling. If we are talking about the track then yes, lower profile 17s will be far better than 16s and who cares about ride quality on the track?

Also bear in mind that 17" wheels will be heavier than 16" and will add to the unsprung weight. Here's an interesting thread on the same Link

The added grip and performance due to upsizing is mainly due to better rubber compound of the tyre as mostly people change to better tyres than OE make. Pilot Sport 3 are superb tyres and I went through two sets of the same on my Laura TSI. The other main reason we all want to upsize is due to better aesthetics. Wide and low profile tyres look really good. A change to some nice looking 17 inchers will give a nice mid life update to your Jetta. If your only requirements are better performance and grip, then don't bother with 17s and hunt for 225/50/16 PS3s.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 8th July 2016 at 08:40.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 12:02   #2658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
I am like soo tempted to pick this one up, The grip it self looks amazing, It has to feel amazing too! With shipping it comes around 10k though.. Have messaged the seller to confirm if it would perfectly fit mine..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Special-Offe...4AAOSwBahVWQ37
A little OT, but I am facing some small suspension issues with my Jetta.
Would you know of a good VW service centre or multi-brand service centre in Mumbai/Thane/NaviMumbai?
Old 11th July 2016, 13:04   #2659

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsbhp View Post
I'm getting solid grinding/cranking sound from rear wheels, when applying breaks at slow speeds. Noticed, mostly when reversing and applying breaks, more so when the vehicle is declining downhill (rolling down backwards). Don't think its break-pedals, but more like bare metal shrugging off. Was quite loud few times, and if I recollect it became obvious after monsoon started - but definitely I had earlier also.

Any similar experience ? Any idea ?
I have the same problem in my 1 year old Jetta TDI HL Auto. Seems like a braking pad sound from back wheel but then goes away after driving around for a couple of KMs. The car is due for its first service will bring it to the attention of the SA.

Did you have any updates on this problems?
Old 12th July 2016, 13:45   #2660
BHPian

For me this noise was due to a very small stone in the brakes of the Jetta. Can happen due while washing or in the rains.

Old 12th July 2016, 14:23   #2661
BHPian

Is adding a "memory setting" feature to the Electrically adjustable seat an option from market ? Or do I have to just get such seat altogether ?
Old 12th July 2016, 16:19   #2662
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsbhp View Post
Is adding a "memory setting" feature to the Electrically adjustable seat an option from market ? Or do I have to just get such seat altogether ?
The memory function will require a switch module to be fixed to the driver side seat. Below is an example.

Seat Memory Switch

This will require some cutout to be made to the seat and this will also have to be connected to the BCM or CAN Bus using a wiring harness.

I remember having read somewhere that using VCDS, you can assign a seat position to each of the keys. But I have not tried this though.

Note: The link I have provided is for Jetta Mk5 LHD version. Similar switch should be available for Mk6 RHD version either in AliExpress or some European vendor on eBay.

Last edited by graaja : 12th July 2016 at 16:36.
Old 12th July 2016, 20:10   #2663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post

I remember having read somewhere that using VCDS, you can assign a seat position to each of the keys. But I have not tried this though.
Indeed its possible if your the car has the memory seat function you can assign the seat position to a specific key, Wish our jetta's came with one, It would have been very useful, We could have also enabled the feature where the Driver's seat goes all the way back when you open the drivers side door and once you sit and close the door the seat goes back to the stored position, Would have loved to have it.
Old 16th July 2016, 10:34   #2664
BHPian

Of late, I am finding that my high beam throw is inadequate during highway drives. Do I need to change the halogen bulb? If so which one to buy?
Old 16th July 2016, 12:07   #2665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
VW Palace Cross claimed (on phone), that they don't have any Jetta in showroom and all VW dealers are busy with the launch of Ameo ?? Don't know if its specific to them ...
Surprising! I have had two TD's With VW Palace Cross in the last couple of weeks! They seemed a lot more Enthusiastic compared to VW Whitefield or VW Hosur Road with a very quick response and since I stay in South Bangalore, The SA Came down to my place twice for two long test-drives .

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Hmmm, so one Supervisor claims there is a facelift, while yours denies there is any facelift ? Maybe I'll ask about it specifically when I speak to a dealer here...
Could you shed some more light on this? Facelift for the Jetta during the festive season seem likely as the Current car Doesn't have the LED tail lamps as the one in the Display car at this year's Auto Expo or there is a High chance that the SA might have confused Himself with the impending Vento Facelift with all LED Headlamp Unit.

Last edited by ajmat : 17th July 2016 at 11:18. Reason: please use multiuote facility
Old 18th July 2016, 13:10   #2666
Senior - BHPian

I always leave the AC in Auto position - but of late i have noticed that the blower speed is always at minimum unless i increase it manually. Is it how the ACC in Jetta works for everyone ?
Old 18th July 2016, 13:29   #2667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
I always leave the AC in Auto position - but of late i have noticed that the blower speed is always at minimum unless i increase it manually. Is it how the ACC in Jetta works for everyone ?
Even if there is a vast temperature difference? Then it's an issue.
Old 18th July 2016, 13:33   #2668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
Even if there is a vast temperature difference? Then it's an issue.
Well - in bangalore its never vast right :-) I keep my AC set at 23.5 - outside is maybe 28-29 - what has been your experience ?
Old 18th July 2016, 13:43   #2669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Well - in bangalore its never vast right :-) I keep my AC set at 23.5 - outside is maybe 28-29 - what has been your experience ?
I'm from Bangalore as well, and i see that it's more or less it's around the minimum.
But when I park in broad daylight and the car heats up, and i start with internal temp of 22 degrees, the fan speed is pretty fast.
Old 18th July 2016, 14:10   #2670
Senior - BHPian

Arent there two modes in Auto itself where even fan speed can be set to Auto. I usually set fan speed to manual while let the ACC control temperature differences.

And mine is always set to 26 or 25 and hardly goes to anything below 22. If the weather outside is 25 or 26 i set it to 23 to just get some cooling going. The only time when i was fooled was when driving at 9 pm on a rainy day in June. I set the temp to 26 and outside temp showed as 25 and i was getting hot air

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks