Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2017, 14:26   #2761
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
Hi bhavik, did you check with automark or karnavati?

I wonder if the noise is coming from brakepads. If they are kaput, it should come when you brake, but in your case it is coming continuously. Now a days, the staff at automark has completely changed. and yes they are hiring.

If its a brake pads, then it must be front. Those are the first ones to wear out, FWD vehicle. Brakepads will usually come in pair, front and rear, so you should replace both front or both rear. Ask for a thickness report on brakepads, i have seen them during annual service.

Alternatively, visit the bosch service centre near iskon cross roads and get it checked yourself, just a third eye.

and yes, if you are not opting for ecu remap, please stay away from software update. Its a big big let down, specially the mid and high range.
Hi Jignesh,

Thank you so much for your valuable suggestion. I checked with my acquainted SA at Automark.

I handed over him the car last Thursday and he informed me over call that rear break pads are almost worn out and front break pads still have 1.2-2K kms life and there is no damage to discs. He suggested me to get all the break pads completed and keep the stock break pads in case I would need them temporarily (read: at the time of selling the car) in future. I agreed to it and got all the break pads replaced. The total cost was 11.6K (10.1K for parts, 1.3K labor). I still have old break pads with me, I will post a pic of them in next couple of days. They seem pretty much worn out to me as well.

I think the early replacement (at 40K) may be caused by the previous owner's habit of keeping the breaks engaged in D mode at traffic signals but again, if that's the case then the front break pads should be the ones with higher percentage of wear. My SA is well acquainted with previous owner as well and he thinks it's due to hard breaking on highways as the previous owner primarily used the car for highway trips to Vapi/Valsad.

PS: In hindsight, my Jetta is managed by the same SA since the very beginning despite changing hands of the ownership.
Old 2nd January 2017, 14:30   #2762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post

Has anyone used this Amaron battery in their Jetta? Is there any warranty concern from VW if I change to Amaron during extended warranty period?
I have an Amaron. I replaced mine without asking VW for a replacement when the OEM went kaput - I was not offered one and did not care to ask for it either. The SA recommended that I get Exide or Amaron as a replacement. So I see no issues getting one outside.
BackInTheFold is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2017, 15:08   #2763
BHPian

On the subject of brakes on the Jetta, I am facing a problem on my new TSI- at low speeds if one brakes a little less gently, the brakes grab and one is thrown forward against the seat belts. Hence one has to be very careful about not applying even a little bit higher pressure as the braking response is not linear, it just grabs the wheels. The response of brakes from my Honda Amaze which I am very used to , is comparatively so pleasant- with slight pressure (a light touch) , the speed is controlled and higher pressure if you want to bring the vehicle to a halt. With the Jetta , I am forever apprehensive that a little extra pressure if applied unconsciously, will grab the brakes and throw everyone forward.
Does any other Jetta owner have similar experience with the brakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavik.1991 View Post
Hi Jignesh,

Thank you so much for your valuable suggestion. I checked with my acquainted SA at Automark.

I handed over him the car last Thursday and he informed me over call that rear break pads are almost worn out and front break pads still have 1.2-2K kms life and there is no damage to discs. He suggested me to get all the break pads completed and keep the stock break pads in case I would need them temporarily (read: at the time of selling the car) in future. I agreed to it and got all the break pads replaced. The total cost was 11.6K (10.1K for parts, 1.3K labor). I still have old break pads with me, I will post a pic of them in next couple of days. They seem pretty much worn out to me as well.

I think the early replacement (at 40K) may be caused by the previous owner's habit of keeping the breaks engaged in D mode at traffic signals but again, if that's the case then the front break pads should be the ones with higher percentage of wear. My SA is well acquainted with previous owner as well and he thinks it's due to hard breaking on highways as the previous owner primarily used the car for highway trips to Vapi/Valsad.

PS: In hindsight, my Jetta is managed by the same SA since the very beginning despite changing hands of the ownership.
Old 2nd January 2017, 15:09   #2764
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So i suggest you pick the one which is closer to you and can commit better after sales, just incase.
Thanks Mission_PGPX. Between Amaron and Exide, I have an Amaron dealer who is near to me and also gives good support. So, I will go ahead with Amaron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
I have an Amaron. I replaced mine without asking VW for a replacement when the OEM went kaput - I was not offered one and did not care to ask for it either. The SA recommended that I get Exide or Amaron as a replacement. So I see no issues getting one outside.
Thanks BackInThefold. Which Amaron model have you got? My Amaron dealer suggests DIN-74 Amaron Pro battery which is rated at 74Ah and is also recommended for the Jetta. There is also Amaron Flo which is rated at 60Ah. Whic of these have you installed?
Old 2nd January 2017, 15:15   #2765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Head View Post
On the subject of brakes on the Jetta, I am facing a problem on my new TSI- at low speeds if one brakes a little less gently, the brakes grab and one is thrown forward against the seat belts. Hence one has to be very careful about not applying even a little bit higher pressure as the braking response is not linear, it just grabs the wheels. The response of brakes from my Honda Amaze which I am very used to , is comparatively so pleasant- with slight pressure (a light touch) , the speed is controlled and higher pressure if you want to bring the vehicle to a halt. With the Jetta , I am forever apprehensive that a little extra pressure if applied unconsciously, will grab the brakes and throw everyone forward.
How old are the pads? I suggest getting the pads checked? They must have gone hard (no more spongy) and hence this experience. Jetta needs and have good brakes for handling such power. Also the difference in weight of both cars is significant for braking experience. It may just be a matter of feeling and no problem at all. Once you continue and get used to driving, i am sure you will work your brake pressure out.
Mission_PGPX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2017, 15:25   #2766
BHPian

Quote:
I have similar experience after I changed all the break pads last week. Give them some time to settle, they will eventually become a little bit smoother.

Also, breaking behavior of Jetta must be more aggressive compared to compact sedans thanks to all wheels disc setup and to handle power of 2.0 Tdi. It also took me some time to get used to the breaks given my background of primary driving experience of 50K+ kms on Swift Dzire Vdi before Jetta.
bhavik.1991 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2017, 15:34   #2767
BHPian

The experience of the grabbing brakes is a common one which my driver, who drives the vehicle most of the time, also shares.
The Jetta TSI is a new car just 5500kms and 5 months old.
When I referred the problem to the Service Centre,they gave some implausible explanation about this being a bigger car than the Amaze , hence higher braking etc etc.My Engineer's mind does not accept this explanation.
But what I would also like to add is that not only do the brakes grab at low speeds , at higher speeds the vehicle has a very high stopping distance. I was involved in a minor 5 car pile up (my car was the last one, luckily) and I found that when I slam braked from about 60kmph, the braking distance was a too high. I could not avoid hitting the car in front. There were some damages to the car- the front logo and the internal structural members and the sensors were damaged.

Your explanation about the pads being hard appear to make sense. Perhaps VW was carrying the inventory for quite some time as Jetta is not a high volume selling model.

I think I will go back to Automark and check out the brakes in a test drive with them. Only it is a big deterrent as the workshop is not very conveniently located and not a happy place to take out from for a test drive.

Quote:
How old are the pads? I suggest getting the pads checked? They must have gone hard (no more spongy) and hence this experience. Jetta needs and have good brakes for handling such power. Also the difference in weight of both cars is significant for braking experience. It may just be a matter of feeling and no problem at all. Once you continue and get used to driving, i am sure you will work your brake pressure out.
Old 2nd January 2017, 15:41   #2768
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But what I would also like to add is that not only do the brakes grab at low speeds , at higher speeds the vehicle has a very high stopping distance. I was involved in a minor 5 car pile up (my car was the last one, luckily) and I found that when I slam braked from about 60kmph, the braking distance was a too high...
I have a similar experience with my Jetta's brakes. The car has run 34K KMs. And at low speeds the brake has too sharp a bite, but at higher speeds, the brake is a little spongy. Maybe due to brake pad wear. I had taken the car to the workshop a few months back and mentioned this problem and asked if the brake pads need replacement, but the SA looked at the pads and said they have another 5K to 6K KMs life. Due to shortage of time, could not follow this up.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2017, 15:48   #2769
BHPian

Thanks graaja, you echo my experience quite accurately. If it is widespread issue , I think it should be worth taking up with VW strongly

Quote:
I have a similar experience with my Jetta's brakes.
======.
Thanks bhavik.1991 but the brakes should have worn in in the first 1000 kms or so. My car has already done 5500km

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavik.1991 View Post
I have similar experience after I changed all the break pads last week. Give them some time to settle, they will eventually become a little bit smoother.
=======.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 2nd January 2017 at 15:52. Reason: Back to back posts. Edited quoted posts for better readability
Old 2nd January 2017, 15:53   #2770
BHPian

Quote:
Hi bhavik, did you check with automark or karnavati?
and yes, if you are not opting for ecu remap, please stay away from software update. Its a big big let down, specially the mid and high range.
Forgot to mention about software recall in the last post. My apologies.

I won't get the remap done till Aug 2018 when the extended warranty gets over. I asked my acquainted SA NOT to upgrade the software while I left the car at the workshop for break pads replacement and complimentary interior cleaning to which he agreed.

Quote:
Thanks bhavik.1991 but the brakes should have worn in in the first 1000 kms or so. My car has already done 5500km
If your car has already clocked 5500kms, it is likely that there is some issue. Would also like to add that breaking of my car is superb at higher speeds. Had an emergency breaking situation for a few cars in the row. My Jetta was following a 3 series at 60kmph and it didn't rear end it however a ritz behind, rear ended Jetta but fortunately, there was no damage apart from two very minor scratches on the rear bumper.

Last edited by bhavik.1991 : 2nd January 2017 at 16:00.
bhavik.1991 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2017, 18:35   #2771
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On the subject of brakes on the Jetta, I am facing a problem on my new TSI- at low speeds if one brakes a little less gently, the brakes grab and one is thrown forward against the seat belts. Hence one has to be very careful about not applying even a little bit higher pressure as the braking response is not linear, it just grabs the wheels.
Mine behaves exactly the same way. I used to do touch brake in my Cedia and no such behavior was experienced ever. Overall I am still not fully confident with braking with my car yet. Another thing is, when I approach a bump, I gradually brake to reduce speed and brake a bit hard right before the bump, Cedia used to respond instantly, but when I do the same with Jetta, it lags and goes over the bump before responding. This is irritating to say the least and I am slowing down in advance to accommodate this lag.
Old 2nd January 2017, 19:26   #2772
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks BackInThefold. Which Amaron model have you got? My Amaron dealer suggests DIN-74 Amaron Pro battery which is rated at 74Ah and is also recommended for the Jetta. There is also Amaron Flo which is rated at 60Ah. Whic of these have you installed?
The 74Ah version recommended on the Amaron website.
Old 2nd January 2017, 19:30   #2773
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
The 74Ah version recommended on the Amaron website.
Thanks a lot. I have now ordered the 74Ah Amaron Pro battery. Will be getting it installed tomorrow morning.

Thanks once again BackInTheFold and Mission_PGPX for the inputs.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 01:22   #2774
BHPian

Was browsing for info on the new version of Jetta and apparently 2017 Jetta will come only in petrol, at least internationally. Not sure if I am missing something

Some links to this info:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/over...gen_jetta_2017

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/volkswagen/jetta/2017/
Old 3rd January 2017, 08:04   #2775
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot. I have now ordered the 74Ah Amaron Pro battery. Will be getting it installed tomorrow morning.

Thanks once again BackInTheFold and Mission_PGPX for the inputs.
No worries. If it is not too late, you can also look at Amaron's DIN 66 FLO version which is sufficient and also cost effective

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks