Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2013, 14:36   #1111
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Ofcourse the 3 series is superior than the Jetta but is it 2 times superior considering it's twice as much as a Jetta.

Secondly, where are the roads to extract the superior handling of the 3 series vs the Jetta? Ok, maybe we have the roads but what about the driver ability to extract the ability of the RWD and balance of the 3 series? In the real world how much difference will it make?

The 3 series is definitely a bench mark and it's not right to compare with the BMW but given our road conditions and driver abilities it's safe to say the Jetta is 80% capable at 50% of the price. That's a much better proposition if your not after the brand.

Price wise it's getting tricky cause the discounts on the 320d and lack of discounts on Jetta means the 50% price advantage is reducing. In which case the BMW is worth it. If you can get a 320d close to 30L, the Jetta is not in contention.
Now If you are going to compare it like that, then the Jetta does 120% of what the 3 series does. Take traffic into the picture which is very common in Indian road conditions, and the Jetta will be as peppy in traffic for the most part. It also offers as much if not more space, and a better ride.

But then those few times you are on a smooth highway, or a well paved hilly road. The price difference more than makes up for it.

Chethan was comparing it purely on driving dynamics, which is why I said its far superior. If we bring Indian conditions into this, even a Vento will do most of what the Jetta does.

Also I think its quite unlikely people will cross shop between them. Someone who has a budget for a 320 will not look at the Jetta. Only someone who is thinking of a Jetta highline may think whether it is worth paying the extra lacs for a 320.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 29th November 2013 at 14:37.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 18:49   #1112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
But then those few times you are on a smooth highway, or a well paved hilly road. The price difference more than makes up for it.
Akshay, I agree with you that it is only for those few times but even then it is also depending on driver ability to extract that extra grip, handling from the car. Unless your on a track or are ripping the car royally on a public road it's very difficult to use the BMW chasis to full potential.

And I don't agree with the Vento comparison at all. The Jetta is far superior and it's closer to Passat. Only thing the Passat has is the premium finish on the interiors (soft finish and all).

You are also right that a prospective buyer looking at 320D may not even look at the Jetta but quite a few times they do. Just look at thread from drmohitg. He started from XUV to Fortuner and landed up with 320D.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 19:36   #1113
BHPian

I am in the D1-D2 boat with the main objective of being VFM. I was about to buy a Polo TSi but dropped the plan because of the DSG, which was the main reason why I was buying it in the first place. I know its confusing but when a relative buys a hot new automatic German hatch which is more expensive than your own car people think and do weird things. Thankfully the DSG scare few days back put things in perspective besides the Polo is just too tiny to be any real use other than a city car.

As for the D1-D2 I was offered a new Passat MT for 19Lac ex showroom that is around 3-4Lac less than the sticker price. As for Jetta and Octavia they are not budging at all on any of the new models. Jetta certainly has less of a premium feel compared to Octavia, but its the Passat that takes the cake.

Passat is about to get a facelift/new model, Jetta is based on a older platform but has 6 Airbags and the Octavia is build on a new platform but has 2 airbags "Stupid Skoda not caring about safety"
Old 29th November 2013, 19:38   #1114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since you only speak on driving dynamics, I'd have to ask you to leave the 3 series of out this. While the VAG cars are similar, and are all front wheel drive. The 3 series is a different ball game altogether.
Hi Akshay, I too am a fan of 320d - "The ultimate driving machine" - "Car on rails!" - My intention was not to insult it, by comparing it with a mortal Jetta!!

Jokes apart. Point taken - 3 series out of this discussion.

Quote:
Also I think its quite unlikely people will cross shop between them. Someone who has a budget for a 320 will not look at the Jetta. Only someone who is thinking of a Jetta highline may think whether it is worth paying the extra lacs for a 320.
Why somebody? If I had the money, I would not have even blinked before taking a decision - Drool factor!!

Again, there is no point if a person with a budget for a Jetta HL, talks about the worthiness of a 320d. Even if he wonders, he is not justified - Honestly.

Quote:
Price wise it's getting tricky cause the discounts on the 320d and lack of discounts on Jetta means the 50% price advantage is reducing. In which case the BMW is worth it. If you can get a 320d close to 30L, the Jetta is not in contention.
100%. But Jetta is never in contention for a 320d buyer.

With the difference between segments narrowing down and with every product offering much more than before, it is no longer logical / VFM to upgrade, to the immediate next level / segment.

It is also true that a product with some extra gadgets, can not become any superior WRT it's basic qualities.

When I was planning for an upgrade from my Polo, if I had the money to buy a Beamer, I would not have thought twice.

But tomorrow, if I need to upgrade from My Jetta, I will not settle down to a Passat or a Superb or a A4 - Not even a 320d. I will need a segment above this, to satisfy me.

I was only trying to put this in a different way...
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 19:42   #1115
BHPian

I was quite disappointed with the interiors of the 1series 116i which was bought by my relative. Its not that it was not nice but it was not comparable to the likes of Audi Q3 which I had driven a lot in Jaipur.
Old 29th November 2013, 20:38   #1116
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Akshay, I agree with you that it is only for those few times but even then it is also depending on driver ability to extract that extra grip, handling from the car. Unless your on a track or are ripping the car royally on a public road it's very difficult to use the BMW chasis to full potential.

And I don't agree with the Vento comparison at all. The Jetta is far superior and it's closer to Passat. Only thing the Passat has is the premium finish on the interiors (soft finish and all).

You are also right that a prospective buyer looking at 320D may not even look at the Jetta but quite a few times they do. Just look at thread from drmohitg. He started from XUV to Fortuner and landed up with 320D.
Fully agreed. 95% of 3 series (or even BMW) buyers for that matter will never use more than 50% of the capabilities of the car.

My point was that on Indian roads the Vento will also seat 5 like the Jetta (in less comfort of course) and also be able to cruise on highways far above 100kmph. Its also comfortable enough in the city and has enough power on tap. So functionally it does most of what the Jetta does. But yes the extra size, extra comfort, extra gadgets, power still make us want to buy the Jetta. The same way no point in saying the Jetta does whatever % of what the BMW does, because the Bimmer does offer more. Hope you are understanding my POV.

But then Mohit could already stretch his budget to 25+ which put him in close range of the 3 from the beginning. He was looking at saving money by buying the XUV, and not extending his budget by 10l and buying the Fortuner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post

But tomorrow, if I need to upgrade from My Jetta, I will not settle down to a Passat or a Superb or a A4 - Not even a 320d. I will need a segment above this, to satisfy me.

I was only trying to put this in a different way...
But what if tomorrow you don't want a car that is much larger than the Jetta. What if you want a car of a similar size, but something that will give you more power, a better chassis, more luxury, and a feel good factor that the Jetta cant.

Of course that is your personal opinion. But after having the Laura in the house which cost almost 20l OTR, I can safely say the 3 series is far far better in terms of feel good factor. In fact I feel there is less of a difference in terms of feel good between a 3 and a 5, than between a Jetta/Octy and 3.

But now we are OT I think. Thanks guys for this interesting little discussion.
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 00:55   #1117
BHPian

just in case if it helps , people who have bought the jetta on this forum seem to be pretty happy and satisfied with their ownership experience indicating decent reliability.
Old 10th December 2013, 14:51   #1118
Senior - BHPian

need help with battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelinmyveins View Post
just in case if it helps , people who have bought the jetta on this forum seem to be pretty happy and satisfied with their ownership experience indicating decent reliability.
Service is bad in Trivandrum/Kollam.

And just got updated that their Kollam service centre was shutdown due by pollution control board!!!

Need help with Jetta battery:

My friend's Jetta's ( the first of Tvm!) battery is down for some reason. Since the local a.s.ss is closed he was asked to jump start it. He is ready to buy a new battery but VW says its not available outside! CAn someone confirm this?
Old 10th December 2013, 22:05   #1119
Senior - BHPian

Re: need help with battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Need help with Jetta battery:

My friend's Jetta's ( the first of Tvm!) battery is down for some reason. Since the local a.s.ss is closed he was asked to jump start it. He is ready to buy a new battery but VW says its not available outside! CAn someone confirm this?
He can try DIN 66 / DIN 74. It should work. Check with Amaron.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 09:15   #1120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
He can try DIN 66 / DIN 74. It should work. Check with Amaron.
The service guys from Trivandrum came and swapped in an Exide. I am awaiting pix and price ( they are yet to quote that).

And looks like its pretty tough to take the battery out and you need special tools which local garage guys wont have.
Old 11th December 2013, 10:35   #1121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
The service guys from Trivandrum came and swapped in an Exide. I am awaiting pix and price ( they are yet to quote that).

And looks like its pretty tough to take the battery out and you need special tools which local garage guys wont have.
http://www.amaron.in/choosebattery.php

DIN type batteries will have a slim wedge shaped grove at the bottom. A clamp is used to secure battery in place.

Very simple to remove and fix...
Old 11th December 2013, 11:34   #1122
BHPian

What kind of service costs are we looking at the Jetta for each service and how are the dealers in bangalore ?. I mean are they friendly and provide good service. I in particular did not have a good time in some of the Skoda dealerships. Also are the spares readily available I mean the frequently used ones. I am considering buying the Jetta in 2014 and would like to know which dealer is the best in bangalore to go to.

Regard's
Red's
Old 11th December 2013, 16:15   #1123
BHPian

Is it normal for the jetta AT to roll back on steep slopes?It happens sometimes.
Old 11th December 2013, 16:30   #1124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red's View Post
What kind of service costs are we looking at the Jetta for each service and how are the dealers in bangalore ?. I mean are they friendly and provide good service. I in particular did not have a good time in some of the Skoda dealerships. Also are the spares readily available I mean the frequently used ones. I am considering buying the Jetta in 2014 and would like to know which dealer is the best in bangalore to go to.

Regard's
Red's
In Bangalore, Palace Cross is the Best in Sales as well as Service.
All the Representatives are well informed about their cars.

Trust me I've dealt with VW in TN and Pondy and by far my best experience in both Sales and Service is from Palace Cross.

PS
#enzowho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 17:12   #1125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also are the spares readily available I mean the frequently used ones
Tricky question here. There are no frequently used spares. In fact for the last three years the spares i needed was the filters and anything they changed during regular service.

On the other hand if the vehicle component fails, i have heard stories of waiting time ranging between 1 week all the way to over 1 month for something simple. Most of the parts are available in major VW service centres across different cities. Some critical components like fly wheel or critical engine components take time for unknown reasons

you are looking at 13-15K a year as standard service cost.

Quote:
Is it normal for the jetta AT to roll back on steep slopes?It happens sometimes.
Is that a comfortline? Comfortline has Hill assist and this should ideally not happen. Other variant do not have hill assist and taking the brake off and accelerating means you can roll the call back for a fraction of a second.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks