Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2014, 04:58   #1246
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Are you sure the Jetta does not have AFS? As far as I know even the Jetta should have auto levelling and cornering lights along with bi-xenon which is AFS.
Octavia has AFS II (adaptive front lighting system) as shown in the below youtube video.

The mechanical setup works like this:

For cornering at higher speeds the main light beam itself bends. Also, when the lights come on, the mechanism does a light sweep to calibrate. Looks cool.

Jetta has a more primitive setup. In Jetta, low speed cornering is achieved with the fog lights and for high speed cornering, there is a fixed bulb (one for right and another for left) whose beam is slightly bent. Depending on the right or left steering, one of these lights gets activated.

It is quite possible that Jetta also incorporates automatic leveling (just the level of the lights based on the load) which will require some mechanism to move the Xenons. Maybe this can be converted to the AFS II in the future.

The AFS was one of the features that I loved in the Octavia - the huge boot and notchback opening being the other. And it was the lack of these features that made the changeover to Jetta very tough for me.

Last edited by graaja : 25th March 2014 at 05:26.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 09:04   #1247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
It is quite possible that Jetta also incorporates automatic leveling (just the level of the lights based on the load) which will require some mechanism to move the Xenons. Maybe this can be converted to the AFS II in the future.
The Jetta does have automatic levelling of the lights, but I'm not sure how easy it is to upgrade this. I'd suggest you stick with it and tinker with tuning the car if you have any upgrade bugs biting you at all
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 09:26   #1248
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post

The Jetta does have automatic levelling of the lights, but I'm not sure how easy it is to upgrade this. I'd suggest you stick with it and tinker with tuning the car if you have any upgrade bugs biting you at all
Absolutely. I am not going to disturb anything for the first four years till the extended warranty expires. Also I will not get the budget from the finance ministry for any upgrades after spending 23 big ones The immediate priority is to bring the car home.

I am sure the bixenons can be upgraded to AFS. I saw a DIY page where someone converted the halogens in his Golf to bixenons with AFS. Also, if the engine is remapped to 177hp/380Nm Audi tune, that would be an unbeatable spec. Lots of time to plan!
Old 25th March 2014, 09:55   #1249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But I consider these negatives as the price I pay for the peace of mind (I hope VW A.S.S is better than Skoda).
Congratulations graaja on choosing the Jetta. It's a fine car and basically siblings with the Octavia although the Octavia is definitely newer tech. Though I doubt that you can expect anything exceptional in case of A.S.S. from VW compared to Skoda. Based on my personal experience, I found the Skoda ASC more pro-active than the absolutely horrible VW ASC here in Meerut. There are ample VW horror stories that I have encountered from my friends owning VW cars here. The products share almost identical parts and are prone to almost identical problems. The top management and the ethics are basically the same. I wish you luck for a trouble free ownership.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 10:15   #1250
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Congratulations graaja on choosing the Jetta. It's a fine car and basically siblings with the Octavia although the Octavia is definitely newer tech. Though I doubt that you can expect anything exceptional in case of A.S.S. from VW compared to Skoda. Based on my personal experience, I found the Skoda ASC more pro-active than the absolutely horrible VW ASC here in Meerut. There are ample VW horror stories that I have encountered from my friends owning VW cars here. The products share almost identical parts and are prone to almost identical problems. The top management and the ethics are basically the same. I wish you luck for a trouble free ownership.
Thank you for the wishes. Totally agree with you about A.S.S. VW.A.S.S is also a totally unknown entity.

Atleast here in Coimbatore, I got a feeling that VW may be better equipped in terms of infrastructure and man power compared to Skoda. My experience at the dealership was also far better in VW than Skoda. However in terms of down time, if there is a failure, Jetta will have the same fate as Octavia. The SA confessed that they do not stock all the spares for Jetta because of low volumes and in case of major components, they have to get them from Singapore. One consolation though about VW (atleast for me) is that the VW showroom is about 6km from my home, whereas the skoda showroom is about 30km away.

Overall, I am betting more on the car running trouble free than expecting a great support from the A.S.S.
Old 25th March 2014, 10:34   #1251
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Jetta has a more primitive setup. In Jetta, low speed cornering is achieved with the fog lights and for high speed cornering, there is a fixed bulb (one for right and another for left) whose beam is slightly bent. Depending on the right or left steering, one of these lights gets activated.

The AFS was one of the features that I loved in the Octavia - the huge boot and notchback opening being the other. And it was the lack of these features that made the changeover to Jetta very tough for me.
I would have thought the Jetta too has a cornering main beam, it is really odd if that is missing. Auto levelling is compulsory for all EU cars with Xenons, so no question about that. Also the low speed cornering is done by the fog lamp, but I'm not aware of any other bulb for higher speed cornering, nor can I see any bulb of this sort in the Jetta headlamp cluster.

Quote:
Buddy can you confirm the Jetta main beam lights do not corner above 40kmph? And when you start the ignition with the xenons on do the lights to the little dance (down, swivel out, swivel in, centre and back to normal height) to calibrate themselves, or do they just do a simple down and back up. If even after adding Bi-Xenons VW has not added cornering main beam this is news to me.
Old 25th March 2014, 10:45   #1252
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I would have thought the Jetta too has a cornering main beam, it is really odd if that is missing. Auto levelling is compulsory for all EU cars with Xenons, so no question about that. Also the low speed cornering is done by the fog lamp, but I'm not aware of any other bulb for higher speed cornering, nor can I see any bulb of this sort in the Jetta headlamp cluster.

Maybe I was misinformed by the SA. He showed me a bulb on the inside part of the headlamp cluster that had curved reflectors and said that was the cornering light. Maybe iliketurtles can throw some light on this. One I get the car I intend to thoroughly study the headlight assembly.
Old 25th March 2014, 10:46   #1253
Team-BHP Support

Auto levelling has to be there. If there's no auto levelling, there will be a dial to adjust the beam level. I doubt this is there in the newer Jettas with xenons. My Altis with xenons has auto levelling so I'm pretty sure the Jetta will too.
Old 25th March 2014, 11:19   #1254
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Auto levelling has to be there. If there's no auto levelling, there will be a dial to adjust the beam level. I doubt this is there in the newer Jettas with xenons. My Altis with xenons has auto levelling so I'm pretty sure the Jetta will too.
Auto leveling is definitely present in the Jetta. What I do not know is if the cornering function is implemented using the main xenon lamps or separate lamps.
Old 25th March 2014, 11:50   #1255
Senior - BHPian

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Buddy can you confirm the Jetta main beam lights do not corner above 40kmph? And when you start the ignition with the xenons on do the lights to the little dance (down, swivel out, swivel in, centre and back to normal height) to calibrate themselves, or do they just do a simple down and back up. If even after adding Bi-Xenons VW has not added cornering main beam this is news to me.
The main beam definitely does corner at speeds above 40kmph, I can vouch for that, was slightly surprised when I first saw it in action since I believed it wasn't there at all. At lower speeds the fogs do all the legwork.

The 'dance' definitely does happen too, it's not just a simplistic down and up. I always get a kick out of watching it. Will record a short video of it when I start her up later this evening so that you guys get a look too.

Last edited by iliketurtles : 25th March 2014 at 11:51.
Old 25th March 2014, 12:32   #1256
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

The main beam definitely does corner at speeds above 40kmph, I can vouch for that, was slightly surprised when I first saw it in action since I believed it wasn't there at all. At lower speeds the fogs do all the legwork.

The 'dance' definitely does happen too, it's not just a simplistic down and up. I always get a kick out of watching it. Will record a short video of it when I start her up later this evening so that you guys get a look too.
The lights doing the dance is great news

Have you noticed the beam pattern automatically change for different speeds? For example, below 80kmph you will have a wide low beam. At highway speeds, the beam automatically changes to narrow high beam. If you noticed this behavior then it is the AFS in the Jetta too.
Old 25th March 2014, 12:46   #1257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have you noticed the beam pattern automatically change for different speeds?
Honestly, I can't say I have but that can be put down to my focussing on the road alone. I'll try to notice it next time, but in will say that the luminescence and spread of light is very good at all speeds, and that's what matters, what say?

Will try to observe the behavior of light at speed. In any case I might not need to since you'll be getting your Jetta real soon! What color did you go for?
Old 25th March 2014, 12:57   #1258
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Honestly, I can't say I have but that can be put down to my focussing on the road alone. I'll try to notice it next time, but in will say that the luminescence and spread of light is very good at all speeds, and that's what matters, what say?

Will try to observe the behavior of light at speed. In any case I might not need to since you'll be getting your Jetta real soon! What color did you go for?
No problem. The brightness is all that matters. I think I will keep something for my research as well

I have booked the platinum grey color. If my financing goes right delivery on Friday. Fingers crossed!
Old 25th March 2014, 14:16   #1259
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Maybe I was misinformed by the SA. He showed me a bulb on the inside part of the headlamp cluster that had curved reflectors and said that was the cornering light. Maybe iliketurtles can throw some light on this. One I get the car I intend to thoroughly study the headlight assembly.
Yes he certainly misinformed you. The light he was pointing to possibly took care of the cornering at low speed, so maybe the fogs do not do the low speed cornering in the Jetta.

Quote:

That's what I expected. I was wondering how VW had left it out on the Jetta when Graaja mentioned it. Good to know its very much there. Its really very useful on smaller unlit roads, not so much in the city.

Quote:
The lights doing the dance is great news

Have you noticed the beam pattern automatically change for different speeds? For example, below 80kmph you will have a wide low beam. At highway speeds, the beam automatically changes to narrow high beam. If you noticed this behavior then it is the AFS in the Jetta too.
The pattern does change, but its really not very noticeable. My vRS has AFS and I've thoroughly driven Superbs, etc with AFS2 and believe me noticing the beam change is difficult, its just so subtle. On unlit roads and highways its much easier to notice.

So my friend, you are missing out on one less thing by getting the Jetta.
Old 25th March 2014, 14:44   #1260
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The pattern does change, but its really not very noticeable. My vRS has AFS and I've thoroughly driven Superbs, etc with AFS2 and believe me noticing the beam change is difficult, its just so subtle. On unlit roads and highways its much easier to notice.

So my friend, you are missing out on one less thing by getting the Jetta.
Yes. Looks like that indeed

What puzzles me is why VW is underplaying this feature. Whereas Skoda clearly mention BiXenon with AFS in Octavia (this is one of the 10 great things they list for Octavia), VW just mentions headlights are Xenons (not even BiXenons). Strange!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks