Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2014, 19:49   #1351
Senior - BHPian

Better to be safe than sorry Chethan! Schedule an appointment a week or two from now, no harm in getting her serviced a little earlier than normal. Get whatever needs to be done out of the way along with the oil change.

Those 14k kms came up quote quickly, nice to see
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 19:58   #1352
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
I am not sure if I should stick to the regular service interval of 15k Kms OR get the first oil change service after 14k Kms...
I would advise you to get the VAG cars serviced at a 10K service interval instead of 15k as recommended by them. I feel that Indian dusty and hot conditions require oil change definitely every 10K. That is what I a following with my 1.8TSI.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 12:57   #1353
Team-BHP Support

Friends,

Need an advice. Checked the 3M website and they have listed the VW showroom as the authorized outlet. Had been to the VW showroom to enquire about the 3M protection treatment. Including paint protection and waxing, they are charging Rs.5,042. Is this a reasonable amount?
Old 10th April 2014, 13:59   #1354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Friends,

Need an advice. Checked the 3M website and they have listed the VW showroom as the authorized outlet. Had been to the VW showroom to enquire about the 3M protection treatment. Including paint protection and waxing, they are charging Rs.5,042. Is this a reasonable amount?
Graaja, Yes VW showrooms are Authorized outlets for 3M and the charges being charged are correct may be + or -200

Spoken to a 3M showroom in Bangalore and they have quoted approx 4,300 + Tax and need to get the treatment done to Jetta at the earliest.

Last edited by gowda79 : 10th April 2014 at 14:05.
gowda79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 15:00   #1355
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Graaja, Yes VW showrooms are Authorized outlets for 3M and the charges being charged are correct may be + or -200

Spoken to a 3M showroom in Bangalore and they have quoted approx 4,300 + Tax and need to get the treatment done to Jetta at the earliest.
Thank you for the confirmation, Raghu. I am planning to take the car to the showroom tomorrow morning and get this done. They said it will take a couple of hours to finish.
Old 10th April 2014, 18:28   #1356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Including paint protection and waxing, they are charging Rs.5,042. Is this a reasonable amount?
This is actually useless. You are better of to do this once every two years if at all your car looks absolutely dull with lots of swirls and drop in shine. This 5042 is just a polish using a base rubbing compound. They will mildly eat into the clear coat and the car will look great for a week or so. Then you are back to your current color and shine.

My advice, avoid this.
VW2010 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 18:44   #1357
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
This is actually useless. You are better of to do this once every two years if at all your car looks absolutely dull with lots of swirls and drop in shine. This 5042 is just a polish using a base rubbing compound. They will mildly eat into the clear coat and the car will look great for a week or so. Then you are back to your current color and shine.

My advice, avoid this.
Now I am confused I am a total newbie to car detailing. What I want is the paint sealant that will protect the paint layer. Do you mean this treatment does not do this?

When I talked to them in the morning, the guy who does the job said something about 4 layers of application, the last being wax. Also, he showed me a car that had this treatment done. When water was poured on the car, it did not stick to the surface, but looked like water on lotus leaf. On a car without the treatment, the water was sticking.
Old 10th April 2014, 18:52   #1358
Senior - BHPian

Graaja, read up on c-quartz and opticoat. They are more expensive than the stuff 3M is doing, but it seems worth it.

I had paint sealant treatment done to the car, paid Rs. 4,000 for it and it included 2 treatments for the year (the next being after six months). I didn't do it from 3M, but then any detailing shop worth its salt can do it without a problem.

For what it's worth, I found what VW2010 said to be true. The car looked fantastic for a week or so and it's now looking quite nice but not as glamorous as it was after the treatment. I'd probably abstain from going to 3M if at all I were to go down this route, others can do the same job for a little less.
Old 10th April 2014, 20:11   #1359
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My advice, avoid this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
I'd probably abstain from going to 3M if at all I were to go down this route, others can do the same job for a little less.
Thank you VW2010 and iliketurtles. I checked with another car detailer here and they are quoting 2.5K for the detailing (3 layers). iliketurtles, adding up VW2010's advice and your inputs in your ownership thread, maybe the best thing for now would be to skip the detailing part, and get a good set of washing products and liquid wax and wax the car myself to keep the shine. Later, when the car develops swirl marks, will go for the car detailing. And this will give enough time to some more research into this topic. Thanks guys, once again for the inputs.
Old 10th April 2014, 21:40   #1360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When water was poured on the car, it did not stick to the surface, but looked like water on lotus leaf. On a car without the treatment, the water was sticking.
We can show this effect with a cheap wax or may be even coconut oil(i should try that once). On a serious note keeping a car like shining all the time involves lot of effort, money and lots of no rinse and again a LOTTTTT of effort.

This one time solution these guys providing will last may be a month. After two rains and a dusty long drive you will be back to square one.

I have that light blue jetta and its one of the easiest to maintain. Almost similar to silver. And all i do is just water wash the car. Its almost four years old and i never wanted to polish it once.

My friends black requires so much attention and polishing that he has a whole DIY stuff from rubbing compounds, wax and the rotor.

If your color is manageable, just keep it clean along with Wheels.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 10:10   #1361
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Luckily for you Grey is a far, far easier colour to maintain than black. My 3 is in grey and swirls and dirt just don't show that easily, the Accord on the other hand is a pain to maintain. Just make sure the person who washes your car uses ample water and give him a microfibre cloth or 2 to use.
Quote:
We can show this effect with a cheap wax or may be even coconut oil(i should try that once). On a serious note keeping a car like shining all the time involves lot of effort, money and lots of no rinse and again a LOTTTTT of effort.

This one time solution these guys providing will last may be a month. After two rains and a dusty long drive you will be back to square one.

I have that light blue jetta and its one of the easiest to maintain. Almost similar to silver. And all i do is just water wash the car. Its almost four years old and i never wanted to polish it once.
Its loud and clear I must confess, I do not have that much time on hand for maintenance and I was really worried how to keep the car clean. Now that I know from your experience, it is enough to water wash, and also from Akshay's comment that Grey is an easy color to maintain, that is exactly what I will do now. I already have the Jopasu duster and I will spend a few minutes every day to remove the dust and once a week, will do a regular water wash with maybe a good car shampoo.

Thank you all once again for solving this problem!
Old 11th April 2014, 11:16   #1362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you all once again for solving this problem!
Just thought of sharing my experience - Not to confuse you any further...

I have used Paint protection treatment on all my cars till date. I must say that it becomes easy to maintain the car after that. To be frank, swirl marks cannot be avoided in any case, no matter what we do (with practical limitations). But stains arising from bird droppings... etc can be better handled. Even the finish will be preserved for a long time to a certain extent..

Right now, I have "Diamond Bright" on my Jetta. Product is good. But as usual, a lot is left wanting, in terms of work ethics from the group.

So far so good!!

Last edited by Chethan B G : 11th April 2014 at 11:17.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 12:02   #1363
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Just thought of sharing my experience - Not to confuse you any further...
You did just exactly that, Chethan, confused me

As you mention, if paint protection is going to make it easier to maintain the car, especially your point about bird droppings (my car attracts that a lot!), maybe I will have to rethink!

Also, what about under body anti-rust protection? Is that a good one to go for? The reason I am asking this is the exhaust pipe on my Getz rusted and developed a big hole after 6 years, and I had to replace the pipe. Should I expect such a situation with the Jetta?
Old 11th April 2014, 12:55   #1364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, what about under body anti-rust protection? Is that a good one to go for? The reason I am asking this is the exhaust pipe on my Getz rusted and developed a big hole after 6 years, and I had to replace the pipe. Should I expect such a situation with the Jetta?
You need not worry about any kind of under-body treatment for any VW cars..

This is applicable under normal circumstances.. If the under-body gets damaged for some reason, than nothing really helps anyway..
Chethan B G is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 13:23   #1365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
It mention about the facelift for the US market. AFAIK, VW follow different update routines for US and Europe, and India follows the latter. If you need a car now, why wait until yearend?
I have no plans of waiting just posted the link as i came across it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Our new Jetta 2.0L CR TDI (AT) Highline - Platinum Grey

Attachment 1228382

Attachment 1228383

Attachment 1228384
Congrats Gowda79!

Wish you a very happy, hassle free and safe ownership experience..

Last edited by Amarendranath : 11th April 2014 at 13:25.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks