Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2014, 09:14   #1426
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Yeah, I saw it available online. But then I have no idea how someone with no experience of it would do it. If they botch it, it's money down the drain. Trying to figure out if I can get it done somehow, but won't just hand it over to anyone
iliketurtles, what I saw from the process, its hard work. Didnt look like work of local dealers reading from the instruction booklet. These UD guys has special training from Scholl for applying these coatings.
Suggest you avoid DIY lest the body becomes transparent instead of mirror finish
Old 21st April 2014, 09:18   #1427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjubose View Post
iliketurtles, what I saw from the process, its hard work. Didnt look like work of local dealers reading from the instruction booklet. These UD guys has special training from Scholl for applying these coatings.
Suggest you avoid DIY lest the body becomes transparent instead of mirror finish

Exactly my thoughts from what I read of it online. It's not an easy process to do, let alone DIY. I'm neither brave nor stupid enough to DIY, I just wish Bangalore were closer to Mumbai or that there was someone trustworthy enough in Mumbai to get it done!
Old 21st April 2014, 10:32   #1428
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yeah, I saw it available online. But then I have no idea how someone with no experience of it would do it. If they botch it, it's money down the drain. Trying to figure out if I can get it done somehow, but won't just hand it over to anyone
Just get your car detailed twice a year from Kamyo, and it will be perfect. If you want buy these products and ask him to use them.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 11:40   #1429
BANNED

When I see the threads on detailing I can't help thinking what a rip off this activity is. One of my cars has been with me for 14 years and it still shines like when it was new. I have done a DIY wax polish just once and no detailing at all. None of my cars have been subjected to detailing and on an occasion when I took my car to the 3M centre he said he wouldn't advise any detailing on the car as he wouldn't be able to improve on it. If it is white, you will need more of DIY cleaning than the other colours to make it look good. The only precaution I take is that the cars are for the most part under covered parking and I ensure proper washing. I guess in Mumbai covered car parking is a luxury.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 13:43   #1430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjubose View Post
I just got my Jetta C-Quartz treatment from the Ultimate Detailerz. No doubts about the quality and service of these guys. Costed 10K with some 3-4 step process of Iron decontamination, layered polish, C-Quartz treatment etc. Happy with the finish. The shine looks like it is going to stay and not those temporary wax polish ones. Attached are some quick pics.
That's an excellent work done by UD, Bangalore. Deep Black with C-Quartz with that susperior gloss would be a head turner and would give any color a run for its money.

That's money well spent.

Quote:
Thanks for the pics. It's great to see the effect of a c-quartz treatment on a black car, been thinking very, very seriously of driving down to Bangalore to get this done since I can't find anyone in mumbai who can do it.
Certainly there are rarely anyone who does such coating Mumbai. But I know a person who does it using even superior products. Let me know via PM if you wish to connect with him.

Product used is Modesta BC-05. Even tougher than C-Quartz. Though with quality it comes at a price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
I plan to get the titanium quartz coating done 8 months down the line. It was called the Synthetic sealant coating. Left a mirror like finish on the car. Entire process took around 5 hours.
Titanium Quartz, first time hearing such name. Is there any such product or detailer is just throwing around names. What all product did he use for Synthetic sealant coating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
an alternative option to driving down to Bangalore is to get the C-Quarts liquid from their online stores and have your local detailer apply it for you. I saw an instruction video online as well that shows the application process. It is quite straightforward.
You need certain amount of practice before applying glass coatings like C-Quartz. An average detailer even 3M can cause disaster if made to use it. Leave it only to professionals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
When I see the threads on detailing I can't help thinking what a rip off this activity is. One of my cars has been with me for 14 years and it still shines like when it was new. I have done a DIY wax polish just once and no detailing at all.
First of all detailing is not a rip off. Its an investment for long term which helps you to get maximum for your car when you resale it and in meanwhile you have many neighbor feeling envy looking at your car. Everyone prefers a nice cleaned & shining car.

14 yrs and still shinning. That's an over statement. Even a new car just out of showroom will be having a lot of contaminants on it. A nice detailing with a sealant or glass coating would make it look much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
None of my cars have been subjected to detailing and on an occasion when I took my car to the 3M centre he said he wouldn't advise any detailing on the car as he wouldn't be able to improve on it.
3M guys aren't any good. 3M store best left for under body coating, car wash or even sun films. Detailing is not their cup of tea.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 18:36   #1431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post

Titanium Quartz, first time hearing such name. Is there any such product or detailer is just throwing around names. What all product did he use for Synthetic sealant coating?
All the products they used were from Meguiar's. From what i saw they used -

1. Meguiar's diamond cut compound
2. Meguiar's polymer sealant
3. Meguiar's yellow wax

Apart from these three there were two other products used which i didn't make a note. The titanium quartz coating involves some nano technology. I'm not sure of the products used for this.
Amarendranath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 19:34   #1432

I own a VW Jetta 2013 model (HL). I feel that the AC is not very effective and on some instances the AC automatically cuts off and cabin humidity increases making the cabin very uncomfortable. Does anyone else also face similar issues with the car and what is the solution for this issue? Is the AC compressor capacity low when compared to the cabin size?

Last edited by manson : 21st April 2014 at 19:55.
Old 22nd April 2014, 04:02   #1433
Senior - BHPian

@Amol.

There could be an issue with your outside temperature sensor. Check near the front grill. It sits on exactly 4 screws and if you remove it the front grill pops out. The sensor could be bitten by rats.

The system works based on temperature reading to compare and operate the compressor. If the temperature reading is wrong this can cause what you are describing.

The system works on voltage it reads at the sensor. Even a minor cut in the wire can alter this voltage and in turn report a different temperature.

Check the sensor. The AC works very well in chennai heat and it will go kaput by 45K kms only. Not before that
Old 22nd April 2014, 07:46   #1434

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
@Amol.

There could be an issue with your outside temperature sensor. Check near the front grill. It sits on exactly 4 screws and if you remove it the front grill pops out. The sensor could be bitten by rats.

The system works based on temperature reading to compare and operate the compressor. If the temperature reading is wrong this can cause what you are describing.

The system works on voltage it reads at the sensor. Even a minor cut in the wire can alter this voltage and in turn report a different temperature.

Check the sensor. The AC works very well in chennai heat and it will go kaput by 45K kms only. Not before that
Thanks for the response. I will check the sensor and get back to you. Hope thats the issue and there is nothing more to it.
Old 25th April 2014, 07:24   #1435
Distinguished - BHPian

New Volkswagen Jetta sedan coming early 2015

Volkswagen is working on a thoroughly updated Jetta sedan for the Indian market. The new Jetta will get substantial tweaks to its interiors as well as its exteriors.

Quote:
First up, at the front, the headlights and grille, like the larger Passat sedan, will be fused into a single visual element, giving the nose a more grown-up look. The front bumper and the chin will also get new styling, which will also help give it greater aerodynamic efficiency. The headlights will get chrome inserts too, as well as LED accents like today's car. At the rear, the Jetta will get slimmer and higher-mounted tail-lights, and the bumper will also be all new.

The interior will get new bits to enhance the cabin ambience and give it some character. The instrument panel will be a new unit with cylindrical housings for the two main dials and a bigger screen in between, the steering will be shared with the latest Golf hatchback and there will be many minor additional tweaks to the interior as well.

The new Jetta will also get VW’s new 2.0 TDI diesel engine with a 10bhp bump in power
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...15-383722.aspx
Old 25th April 2014, 14:17   #1436
BHPian

I had my first major scare with the Jetta last weekend. I was on a family trip to Tarkarli and on the way back to Pune, I was stuck in a traffic jam in a small village. After about 15 minutes of inching forward in the traffic jam, I smelt something burning. I thought the smell was coming from outside, but then I realized that the ventilation was off and so were all the windows. Exactly at the same time, someone from the street pointed to smoke coming from the bonnet which I had not noticed earlier. I stopped my car, turned off the engine and asked everyone to get out immediately. I opened the bonnet and there was some smoke coming from somewhere below the engine assembly. I was scared as hell (who wouldn't! there are so many car burning stories, including many VWs). It smelt like burning rubber, I checked the car's MFD, the engine temperature was ok, no errrors displayed, so I suspected the clutch. By this time many people had gathered around the car. The smoke was still coming, however soon the traffic jam in front of me cleared so I decided to get the car further down where the road was wider.

I dialled VWs roadside assistance number, provided all the necessary information to the person on phone and before he could give me the reference number the call got disconnected. While waiting for him to call back, from another phone I called up the service adviser at BU Bhandari as my car had undergone its first ever servicing just a couple of days earlier. The person from BUB wasn't able to offer much help, and he advised me to call VW roadside assistance. All this while the VW call center guys had not even bothered to call back. So I called them up again and after going through the IVR menu, I asked the lady to find out who was talking with me earlier and requested a call back. This time I did get a call back and the person asked me how far I was from Mumbai, so I told him about 450-500km so he said stay there till the flatbed arrives from Mumbai . I explained the person to see if they can arrange for a pickup from Goa he said he will check and let me know. By this time, the smoke had stopped, though the stench of the clutch could still be felt. The VW guy called back after a while and said that he will be able to send a flatbed from Goa but the car will be looked at only on Monday as Sunday is a holiday. This was not acceptable to me, so I requested to talk to a technical person. I was told that the technical persons at the call center were not available because it was Sunday (again frustration! Lesson learned: VW roadside assistance is not that reliable). So I called up the guy at BUB to see if it's ok to drive the car to the nearest garage, but he was not willing to provide a definitive answer. Fortunately a local guy came over seeing the open bonnet, he said he worked at Toyota and he said the smell is definitely of clutch and if there is no issue with the engine or the car's pickup he advised me to drive to Kankavali (about 30kms, on the Mumbai Goa highway). I stared the car, except the smell everything was normal the clutch seemed normal, the speed, pick up nothing seemed to have changed so I decided to drive further, at slower speed and using as little clutch as possible. I stopped every 10 kms till I reached Kankavali to see if there was still smoke but there was none. When I arrived at Kankavali, all the repair shops were closed as it was a Sunday and we couldn't find any mechanic who could take a look at the car. At this time, the temperature was about 43 deg C, the heat was unbearable, so we decided to leave Kankavali and reach Kolhapur, where we hoped someone would definitely be available. Also my brother was also with us in his Honda City so we decided to leave, as we had another car in case of a complete break down. I called up VW call center again and asked them to not send any flatbed truck.

The car gave no further trouble, so I didn't stop at Kolhapur and came straight to Pune driving as carefully as I could.

On the next day, sent the car to BU Bhandari, they kept the car for two days and after some testing they confirmed that the smell was indeed from the clutch but the clutch itself is not damaged. It's been four days since that, and there is no smell and I am not seeing any issues so far. However I am a bit worried about taking the car on a long drive, at least immediately.

My questions are:
- Would a clutch lead to burning smell and smoke? What could be the contributing factors? Please note that I do NOT ride clutch (except may be when I am on an steep slope, such as a ghat in a traffic jam).
- Could it be because of the heat? The temperature was 40+ degrees when this happened.
- Is it possible that my clutch is on the way out? If so, should I look for any symptoms?
- Is this a known problem with Jetta or similar VW group cars?
- Should I carry a fire extinguisher in my car? Could a smoky clutch lead to fire?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by MandarMax : 25th April 2014 at 14:24.
Old 25th April 2014, 20:36   #1437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
I had my first major scare with the Jetta last weekend. However I am a bit worried about taking the car on a long drive, at least immediately.
I can definitely relate to your incident. After recent debacle with my Vento which was handled by B.U.Bhandari, I have lost trust in them as far as technical expertise goes. You can read about the incident below.

Link.

I would suggest you to get a ELM327 which can help in reading ECU codes and other engine parameters such as temperatures. Whenever any issue happens with car an error code is registered with ECU. Using ELM327 you can read even before you give your car to workshop. It helps in a way as workshop cannot fool around with you saying there is no issue though you know the error code.

Got myself one as well for those long drives.

Ebay Link.

Quote:
- Could it be because of the heat? The temperature was 40+ degrees when this happened.
Definitely not.

Quote:
- Is it possible that my clutch is on the way out? If so, should I look for any symptoms?
How many kilometers have you clocked on ODO? Clutch should last more than 60,000 if used properly.

Quote:
Should I carry a fire extinguisher in my car? Could a smoky clutch lead to fire?
Carrying fire extinguisher is a good habit. If you wish, you can purchase it from below given link.

Link.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2014, 11:44   #1438
BHPian

Quote:
I can definitely relate to your incident. After recent debacle with my Vento which was handled by B.U.Bhandari, I have lost trust in them as far as technical expertise goes.
I agree regarding the point about B U Bhandari. I was not happy with the way the servicing was done. The car was not vacuumed properly, there was some dust and dirt in the car when it was delivered. Worst thing is that there were some stains on the driver seat, which looked liked some kind of chemical was accidentally sprayed over and then they did not even bother to clean it. There were HUGE oil stains on the rear door and it had attracted lot of dust, I don't think any kind of quality control exists at B. U. Bhandari. I had to complain and send my car back for getting cleaned up again. Even after that the stains on the seats still remain

I had a good experience with them when buying the car, and I had read good feedback about their after sales service, but I think their standards have definitely fallen. (I heard from a person from their workshop who I know that they did not give satisfactory salary hike this year so the workers have been very unhappy, I don't know if this was one of the reasons for the shoddy job)

Quote:
I would suggest you to get a ELM327 which can help in reading ECU codes and other engine parameters such as temperatures. Whenever any issue happens with car an error code is registered with ECU. Using ELM327 you can read even before you give your car to workshop. It helps in a way as workshop cannot fool around with you saying there is no issue though you know the error code.
Thanks for the link. I will place an order today. Hope it will also work on the Jetta.

Quote:
How many kilometers have you clocked on ODO? Clutch should last more than 60,000 if used properly.
I have clocked about 12.5k kms so far. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I am concious about using the clutch properly and I don't ride clutch, so the incident was really surprising.

Quote:
Carrying fire extinguisher is a good habit. If you wish, you can purchase it from below given link.
Have already ordered the same from ebay. Hope I will never have to use it

Last edited by MandarMax : 26th April 2014 at 11:55.
Old 6th May 2014, 22:24   #1439
BHPian

Hi Guys,

We are now a part of the Jetta family, dream fulfilled. Ownership thread below

Link

Cheers!
Take Care and Drive Safe!

Last edited by Amarendranath : 6th May 2014 at 22:27.
Old 12th May 2014, 21:32   #1440
BHPian

Just completed a relatively trouble free 10000 kms , except for a scare in the beginning when the rear left wheel abs sensor got clogged due to my error of having the underbody and wheels thoroughly pressure washed twice a month.

Been getting 17.1 on an average. though I feel the gauge reports 1 to 2 kmpl more that actual. The mileage has slightly dopped on average since the start , could be I press the pedal and brake more often nowadays, bad habits creeping in. Dil mange more.
hubolt is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks