Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2012, 22:49   #646
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
How is the A-Pillar blind spot in Brio? Does it pose a problem, how does it compare with i10?
I haven't test driven it yet, will get the chance tomorrow i hope.
This is a problem that's common to ALL Hondas. The fat A-Pillar coupled with a small quarter-glass makes it very difficult to negotiate round-abouts and sweeping turns. Heck, the blind-spot poses a problem even while turning at low speeds.

The Brio doesn't have this problem though. The all-round visibility is great.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2012, 08:26   #647
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
This is certainly not as issue. You do get slightly better visibility on the i10 since the seating is a little higher. However, the all round visibility in the Brio is great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
This is a problem that's common to ALL Hondas. The fat A-Pillar coupled with a small quarter-glass makes it very difficult to negotiate round-abouts and sweeping turns. Heck, the blind-spot poses a problem even while turning at low speeds.

I'm concerned about this since my AStar poses quite a bit of a pillar blindspot problem. The pillar has often hidden pedestrians and bikes especially at unmanaged/unruly junctions where you can't predict people movement.

Plan to take the Brio on my regular office commute route, it'll help me compare it with my current ride.
Old 15th May 2012, 10:06   #648
BANNED

A quick question! Does the Brio have cabin air filter (AC filter)? Or have they left the provision to take a cabin filter? Can owners check please.

The Liva comes with it, in Swift its possible to slot in a cabin filter. I have seen vast reduction floating dust after installing the Swift's cabin filter in my AStar. Earlier the dust used to settle on the dashboard now it has reduced very much.
Old 15th May 2012, 13:13   #649
BHPian

Quote:

Suhaas,

There is a little bit of a blind spot in Brio as well. At unpredictable junctions, its very tough to sport the odd motorist or cyclist coming. I have faced it twice in a T-junction. I have to take a right at the junction and a motorist comes in from the same lane (to which i have to take a right) and I couldn't spot him. My car almost brushed his bike but I applied the brakes all of a sudden and avoided it. I was going at around 20kmph only. It happened twice once with a motorist and then an auto. So made it a point to be careful at such junctions.
whencut86 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2012, 15:59   #650
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
There is a little bit of a blind spot in Brio as well. At unpredictable junctions, its very tough to sport the odd motorist or cyclist coming.
Ooh, thanks for this head's up! When I test drove the car, I didn't really notice the blind spot although I was keenly looking around the corners when negotiating some tight turns in some narrow lanes.
Old 15th May 2012, 19:14   #651
BANNED

Quote:
Suhaas,

There is a little bit of a blind spot in Brio as well. At unpredictable junctions, its very tough to sport the odd motorist or cyclist coming. I have faced it twice in a T-junction.
Thanks! Will check this out during my TD. I face this in my AStar and its quite dangerous.

Honda dealer here is quite lackadaisical with their follow up procedures, didn't get a TD yet. Toyota and Maruti dealers were very proactive with their follow up calls and TD.
Old 15th May 2012, 20:07   #652
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Suhaas,

There is a little bit of a blind spot in Brio as well. At unpredictable junctions, its very tough to sport the odd motorist or cyclist coming. I have faced it twice in a T-junction. I have to take a right at the junction and a motorist comes in from the same lane (to which i have to take a right) and I couldn't spot him. My car almost brushed his bike but I applied the brakes all of a sudden and avoided it. I was going at around 20kmph only. It happened twice once with a motorist and then an auto. So made it a point to be careful at such junctions.
I drive a Santro regularly and few cars are better than the Santro when it comes to visibility. Plus, you sit a little higher up so it's a great position for city-driving, I believe.

The Civic's visibility is poor, with the front windshield getting big on you and the dash going on for miles. The Jazz is very similar in terms of driver's visibility. But again it's slightly higher and therefore more confidence inspiring in city-limits.

I test-drove the Brio and found that it's much much better than the other Hondas when it comes to visibility. Also, I felt at home the moment I stepped into it. When you drive a Santro regularly and then get into the drivers' seat in another car, you'd realize how uneasy it is initially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I'm concerned about this since my AStar poses quite a bit of a pillar blindspot problem. The pillar has often hidden pedestrians and bikes especially at unmanaged/unruly junctions where you can't predict people movement.

Plan to take the Brio on my regular office commute route, it'll help me compare it with my current ride.
The A-Star's dashboard makes you feel like you're flying something! Even though I'm 6'2", I could barely see the road. The dashboard feels like it's placed much too high. Plus, the pillars don't allow you to spot the odd motorist. Not a comfortable place to be in. The steering and 'box felt great to use though.

Sankar, I assure you. The visibility in the Brio is much better than in the A-Star.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 15th May 2012 at 20:09.
Old 15th May 2012, 22:00   #653

I have taken delivery of my Honda Brio SMT (O) on 9th of May. Has already driven some 350kms. The excitement hasn't died down yet. The car is just awesome.
Old 15th May 2012, 23:43   #654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I test-drove the Brio and found that it's much much better than the other Hondas when it comes to visibility.
Not true. Honda city has very good visibility (if you set the seat to higher position, it provides 'commanding view' by sedan standards. I was expecting the view to be better in Brio (being a tallish hatch back)but I found that the dashboard is set higher then in the City and the view is not all that good.
Old 16th May 2012, 01:26   #655
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Not true. Honda city has very good visibility (if you set the seat to higher position, it provides 'commanding view' by sedan standards. I was expecting the view to be better in Brio (being a tallish hatch back)but I found that the dashboard is set higher then in the City and the view is not all that good.
I don't agree, for one simple reason.

Just like the Jazz, the City too has a swooping dashboard that seems to never end. The windscreen too is quite raked. It takes some time getting used to, especially if you're upgrading from a hatch. It is still better than the Jazz and the Civic though, when it comes to visibility.

The Brio's dash may be set high, but the windscreen isn't raked like the other Hondas. The pillars too aren't really fat so corners and round-abouts can be dealt with, with ease. Plus, you find a very good driving position almost immediately. In the City, I had to fiddle around a little to get myself comfortable.

What I hate about the Brio is the dashboard itself. It's simply ordinary. I didn't like the way the controls were set either, and the AC vents could have been placed differently.

When you buy a car and drive it, you're going to be looking at the interiors of the car most of the time, and the interior of the Brio is simply put, uninspiring. Hondas are known for their wacky and futuristic interior. Why was the Brio deprived of one?

What also annoys me is that there is no CD player. Even as an option! I don't know about the others, but I prefer the music coming from a CD rather than a phone or iPod via the aux/USB. I mean, you're paying 6 lakhs for a car, you better get a CD player, no?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 16th May 2012 at 01:29.
Old 16th May 2012, 08:57   #656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCelestial View Post
I bought a new Honda Brio S(O) MT, Blue. Got it delivered on 26th April.

Will be putting a detailed intial ownership review after the first service. The experience so far has been excellent. The car grabs eyeballs everywhere.

I do have a small issue though. Recently took the car out on some bad roads. Whenever the car travels over a smallish pothole as decent speed(~30 kph), I hear a LOUD mettalic clank from around the left-rear tyre. I dont think its underbody scraping, it sounds more like the sound a fast travelling rock hitting on a thick metal surface would sound like (indeed thats what I thought it initially was).
I will have it looked over during the initial service.
Any guesses meanwhile?
Sorry to repost, but any suggestions for this please? I dont want the workshop to take me for a ride , so I want to have some idea atleast before I take it to the SVC.
Old 16th May 2012, 11:52   #657
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCelestial View Post
Sorry to repost, but any suggestions for this please? I dont want the workshop to take me for a ride , so I want to have some idea atleast before I take it to the SVC.
Its tough to say what this sound could be. It is highly unlikely that the car would have been delivered with something amiss in a crucial component such as the suspension. The car is anyway under warranty so take it to a H.A.S.S and get it inspected.
Old 16th May 2012, 11:58   #658
BHPian

I have felt clanks when small stones hit the car's body. I even have couple of small scratches in the doors because of it. I think this should be the issue. Check for minor scratches on the sides. But since you mentioned that this happens only when the car goes through small potholes, it is worth checking.
Old 16th May 2012, 21:58   #659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Its tough to say what this sound could be. It is highly unlikely that the car would have been delivered with something amiss in a crucial component such as the suspension. The car is anyway under warranty so take it to a H.A.S.S and get it inspected.
Thanks. Yes thats the plan. Will post back the feedback from the workshop.

Quote:
I have felt clanks when small stones hit the car's body. I even have couple of small scratches in the doors because of it. I think this should be the issue. Check for minor scratches on the sides. But since you mentioned that this happens only when the car goes through small potholes, it is worth checking.
Yes, I have felt stones too and like I said thats what I initially thought, but I went over some decent undulations on the highway, I am quite sure there were no stones lying.
Old 17th May 2012, 23:30   #660
BHPian

Had a TD of the Brio VMT today for a short duration. The space inside this small car is pretty amazing! Was very surprised when I sat at the back seat. Ingress/egress is pretty decent too. The boot is however really small. The paint quality is top notch.

The Brio looks low from outside, but I found visibility to be pretty good. Didn't get to drive or corner the car too much. The steering is very light yet feels precise. The engine has a nice exhaust note to it. Feels a lot more muscular to my Beat's engine.

Overall found the Brio really good and a worthy opponent to the Swift, only thing is the rear design still haunts me in my dreams!

Most Viewed