Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2012, 12:14   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review

The Etios and the Liva would receive minor changes on the interior to spruce it up further after the feedback received.

The updates are expected to go into production in the second half of August 2012. Will try and extract more information on the changes.
Old 12th July 2012, 11:17   #227
Senior - BHPian

Since, there is a discussion on the mileage at variable speeds, just wanted to post my experience at differing speeds on Etios Diesel.

80 kmph to 100 kmph cruising speed with short bursts of 120 kmph on the busy highways of Kerala ( Trivandrum - Cochin Route ) - 19 to 20 kmpl
120 kmph to 140 kmph cruising speed with short bursts of 160 kmph on the low traffic highways of Tamil Nadu ( Nagercoil - Madurai - Trichi route ) - 14 kmpl
15 kmph to 30 kmph cruising speed with ocassional 60 - 80 kmph speeds on city traffic ( Cochin ) - 14 to 15 kmpl

The best mileage would be at 60 to 80kmph on 5th gear on low traffic road. But, the punch that the Etios diesel gives at 1800 to 2400 rpms, ensures that I go over that speed whenever I get a low traffic road.
Old 12th July 2012, 12:51   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Your observation is correct. However, seat covers with some extra padding fix this issue. Almost all seat cover installers have left over foam, which they happily give away for free.
You can look at my detailed review.
Points to note
1. Suspension is noisy. Some stopper mechanism in front suspension makes scary noises
2. Ditto for rear. When going over undulations on highway, you hear a metal tearing sort of sound(sometimes).

Other owners have also reported this.
So the car is fairly agricultural. If ritz had space, it would be a far better car, but since it does not... It loses out.
If space is not such a big deal, then would the Ritz beat Liva?
My wife is 5'3" and only daughter is just 4 yrs old. I am the tallest in the (extended as well) family at 5'8"

100% driver driven and for city usage only - Ritz Vdi or Liva GD-SP?

Last edited by Equus : 12th July 2012 at 12:52.
Old 12th July 2012, 18:05   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus

My wife is 5'3" and only daughter is just 4 yrs old. I am the tallest in the (extended as well) family at 5'8"

Both are good buy. But, if space is not an issue for you, Ritz offers a better feel good factor due to its better interiors. The liva should be cheaper to maintain though due to the long lasting Toyota spares.

City drivability is better for the liva due to the lower turbo lag. But refinement levels are better for ritz ddis engine. And braking in liva is very much superior as well. So, it all depends on what you give priority for.

Last edited by amalji : 12th July 2012 at 18:18.
Old 12th July 2012, 18:36   #230
Team-BHP Support

If space is not important, Ritz is an equally good car, i.e. if you can stand its looks.
Old 13th July 2012, 14:18   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If space is not important, Ritz is an equally good car, i.e. if you can stand its looks.
Many reports say that Ritz is bumpy at the rear and Liva/Etios is more composed in the rear. Any feedback on this? Especially if the car is mostly driven by a driver?
Old 13th July 2012, 15:31   #232
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
Many reports say that Ritz is bumpy at the rear and Liva/Etios is more composed in the rear. Any feedback on this? Especially if the car is mostly driven by a driver?
If back seat is important, then you can buy liva with eyes closed. At the rear, Liva is actually a big car. The seat is comfortable and spacious. ritz is cramped in comparison
Old 13th July 2012, 16:10   #233
Senior - BHPian

I own a Ritz and have driven a Liva. Interiors surely are better in a Ritz. Headroom is also better. Tthe Ritz feels quite a bit powerful than the Liva and the turbo boost is good after 1900 rpm. But legroom and better ride go to the Liva. The Ritz is a bit softly sprung and the ride is a bit bouncy too. But the Riz is surely a better put together car.

Last edited by SPARKled : 13th July 2012 at 16:11.
Old 13th July 2012, 16:35   #234
BHPian

I wonder why Micra is ignored here. Its an excellent city car with a lagless and smooth diesel engine. It has got very light controls to suit lady drivers and space at rear is good too !

Between Ritz and Liva, liva is a better city car thanks to better all round visibility,linear power delivery and more boot space
Turbokick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2012, 16:53   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post

Why not go ahead and test drive the Vista.

Engine: Vista has the same engine as the Ritz, better than the Liva in terms of torque, bhp top speed, engine refinement, better in terms of drivability as the turbo spools from 1750 rpm, which is a boon for city driving.

Space: I suppose you will drive the car for 3-5 years wherein your daughter will eventually need more leg space. Vista has the best in class front and back legroom, shoulder room, head room, elbow room.

Stability: Due to the body weight, car has the best on road grip. At speeds of 140-150, the car is rock solid on highways.

Service: Drive the Vista at Concorde motors in your city. You shall see the difference Tata has made to it in terms of the Indica. Test drive without any perception or prejudice. You shall find the car very involving and lovable. The quality on this model is better than the Live or the Ritz.

Mileage: All the 3 cars would return more or less the same mileage.

Since I have driven the Ritz for 2 years, I can point out some key disadvantages:

Body Roll: Since Ritz is a true tall boy design, Body Roll is very evident and you have to drive accordingly. Live would not have that for sure.

Vista: There is a slight body roll at high speeds.

Turbo Lag: Ritz is deadly in terms of turbo lag. Liva and Vista are neck to neck.

Price: The price of Vista is the most competitive in terms of the VX model which offers you just about everything apart from Airbags and Alloys (ABS included).

Interiors: Both Vista and Liva have a centre dash which is not at all a hindrance to driving, rather a boon in terms of visibility.

Vista's Black-Beige interiors look fresh, roomy, bright and modern.

I maybe biased towards the Vista, but trust me, the new vehicle is niggle free, fun to drive and good to own.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2012, 19:14   #236
BHPian

Hello, I am looking to purchase a new Liva diesel with ABS/Airbags. It will be used 100% of the time for commuting between Chennai - Pollachi (570 Km one way). I cruise at 100 - 130 Kmph in my swift now. Sadly my swift Diesel does not have ABS/AIRBAGS. Hence I am going for the Liva , which I like very much.

I am not expecting the thrilling performance of the Swift Diesel from the Liva Diesel, but can it keep up similar cruising speeds even if the accleration is a little less?

I love the simplicity of the car, the conservative design and the space . I also have had a good experience with Toyota with my Innova. Liva seems to be a no frills car and I like that sort of a thing.

My only concern is it's ability to cruise at 100-130 Kmph on Chennai - Dindigul highways.

Can some one give me some advice on this?
Old 13th July 2012, 21:36   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
Why not go ahead and test drive the Vista.

Engine: Vista has the same engine as the Ritz, better than the Liva in terms of torque, bhp top speed, engine refinement, better in terms of drivability as the turbo spools from 1750 rpm, which is a boon for city driving.

Space: I suppose you will drive the car for 3-5 years wherein your daughter will eventually need more leg space. Vista has the best in class front and back legroom, shoulder room, head room, elbow room.

Stability: Due to the body weight, car has the best on road grip. At speeds of 140-150, the car is rock solid on highways.

Service: Drive the Vista at Concorde motors in your city. You shall see the difference Tata has made to it in terms of the Indica. Test drive without any perception or prejudice. You shall find the car very involving and lovable. The quality on this model is better than the Live or the Ritz.

Mileage: All the 3 cars would return more or less the same mileage.

Since I have driven the Ritz for 2 years, I can point out some key disadvantages:

Body Roll: Since Ritz is a true tall boy design, Body Roll is very evident and you have to drive accordingly. Live would not have that for sure.

Vista: There is a slight body roll at high speeds.

Turbo Lag: Ritz is deadly in terms of turbo lag. Liva and Vista are neck to neck.

Price: The price of Vista is the most competitive in terms of the VX model which offers you just about everything apart from Airbags and Alloys (ABS included).

Interiors: Both Vista and Liva have a centre dash which is not at all a hindrance to driving, rather a boon in terms of visibility.

Vista's Black-Beige interiors look fresh, roomy, bright and modern.

I maybe biased towards the Vista, but trust me, the new vehicle is niggle free, fun to drive and good to own.
Firstly, many thanks for the response. Very good first-hand info!
Vista is undoubtedly a huge step-up from Indica but this car will be mostly used by my wife. She would never agree to the vista
Choice is very limited - pretty much between Ritz or Liva..

Thanks everyone for the responses - Liva it will be as its mostly the rear seat that matters!

Last edited by Equus : 13th July 2012 at 21:39.
Old 13th July 2012, 21:57   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
My only concern is it's ability to cruise at 100-130 Kmph on Chennai - Dindigul highways.
Punto MJD is the best highway car in that segment. Pick one with ABS+Airbags for safety.
Old 13th July 2012, 23:40   #239
BHPian

I am not interested in the punto, I would like to know from existing Liva Diesel owners if it can cruise at 100-130 kmph with ease.
Old 14th July 2012, 00:21   #240
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss
I am not interested in the punto, I would like to know from existing Liva Diesel owners if it can cruise at 100-130 kmph with ease.
I have already mentioned that if you do not need to frequently touch 130+ speeds, liva is excellent. 110-120 kind of cruising is no issues. However if you want something faster go for swift, ritz(both marginally faster) or go for the i20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks