Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2012, 21:58   #286
BHPian

Re: Toyota Liva Diesel : Test Drive & Review

With all sorts of criticism from friends and foes for higher NVH, tractor like interior, tin-can structure, cheapest toyota, I finally booked a bluish silver Liva GD. This is after a fair amount of back to back test drive of sail and liva.

Back seat of liva absorbed bumps better than sail within city and upto about 70 km/hr. I could not test it beyond that.

With congested roads, liva drives like an automatic in 2nd and 3rd gear. Sail loses out here as it needs lot more gear change under similar condition. Not to mention the amazing turning radius of liva.

Of course sail has more space, but liva is not bad in this respect either.

Both the cars have equally good class-leading brakes. But I liked the steering feel of Liva much better.

Last but not the least, 25K cash discount from toyota and perceived low maintenance cost of liva.

Though sail has more features and a better build, but the above points were a deal breaker for me. I will, though, severely miss the tachometer in liva.

Planning to change the tyres to Michelin xm1 for lesser road noise. Also underbody coating from 3M and some kind of lamination on the floor for better NVH.

With all its drawback, Liva as a package is difficult to ignore.
Old 12th November 2012, 22:13   #287
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
With all sorts of criticism from friends and foes for higher NVH, tractor like interior, tin-can structure, cheapest toyota, I finally booked a bluish silver Liva GD. This is after a fair amount of back to back test drive of sail and liva.

Back seat of liva absorbed bumps better than sail within city and upto about 70 km/hr. I could not test it beyond that.

With congested roads, liva drives like an automatic in 2nd and 3rd gear. Sail loses out here as it needs lot more gear change under similar condition. Not to mention the amazing turning radius of liva.

Of course sail has more space, but liva is not bad in this respect either.

Both the cars have equally good class-leading brakes. But I liked the steering feel of Liva much better.

Last but not the least, 25K cash discount from toyota and perceived low maintenance cost of liva.

Though sail has more features and a better build, but the above points were a deal breaker for me. I will, though, severely miss the tachometer in liva.

Planning to change the tyres to Michelin xm1 for lesser road noise. Also underbody coating from 3M and some kind of lamination on the floor for better NVH.

Congrats on finally signing the dotted line. Michelin has launched XM2 sometime back. If you are going for 15 inch alloys, get the Yokohama AVS DB V550 195/60 R 15 Tyres. Very nice and silent tyres. Definitely will help in keeping the tyre noise at bay.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2012, 00:18   #288
BHPian

Quote:

@sups,

Congrats for booking the Liva. Don't think you'll regret your decision.

Check the tyres you are getting as OE. Mine comes with MRF ZVTS which are less noisy than the standard Bridgestone you get in the TD cars. You might live with them comfortably. I didn't feel the need to change the tyres. Will change to Michelin XM1 though, once I run through these tyres for hopefully 40K km.

The NVH is quite acceptable post 2000 km. Be patient till then, I feel the sound kind of mutes after that. Do the padding if you feel like only after that if you feel like. 3M coating is good enough initially.
Old 13th November 2012, 00:48   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus. View Post
Even i am expecting a face lifted Liva.Adding on few items to the list, i would love to see top end Liva should having these features to compete & match with i20 & Swift. I don't mind bearing additional costs for added features.

4) Automatic climate control
5) Defogger & rear wiper.
6) Steering mouted indicators & Stereo controls
7) Alloy wheels
8) Better quality interiors

If all these are added, this would be a near perfect hatch.
Thanks for your extended wish list. I don't need most of them because:

1.I don't really need automatic climate control, I am used to manipulate manually and let the control be in my hands.

2. I know how to defog the front and rear windows with normal AC vents without having the defogger. A car manual elaborates that. My previous car had a rear wiper, but I don't remember using that for more than four than 4 occasions in 7 years.

3. Indicators are almost steering mounted like in any car. I am not an avid listener to stereo while driving.

4. Alloy wheels are available in Liva sportiva model. I didn't opt for them, rather opted for after-market alloys because I have more options to choose and they come cheaper.

5. Interiors in Liva are not bad. They are boring at the most, but I think I am a boring person. I don't prefer flashy interiors with chrome and wood finish shining and "making a statement". I hate beige interiors. And those shiny little facelifts for Liva interiors, like any other car, including Ambassador, are already available in the market.
Old 13th November 2012, 22:43   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Congrats on finally signing the dotted line. Michelin has launched XM2 sometime back. If you are going for 15 inch alloys, get the Yokohama AVS DB V550 195/60 R 15 Tyres. Very nice and silent tyres. Definitely will help in keeping the tyre noise at bay.
I am thinking of going in for 185/65 R14 tyres. It will definitely have better grip over default 175/65 R14s. But, will the upgrade to 185/65 R14 would cause harshness in the ride compared to the default ones?
Old 13th November 2012, 22:48   #291
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am thinking of going in for 185/65 R14 tyres. It will definitely have better grip over default 175/65 R14s. But, will the upgrade to 185/65 R14 would cause harshness in the ride compared to the default ones?
With the 185/65 R14, the ride will be a bit more comfortable due to a gain in the side wall and also the ground clearance increased by around 5 mm I believe.

Also the steering will become a wee bit tighter and gives a bit more feedback.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2012, 00:37   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
With the 185/65 R14, the ride will be a bit more comfortable due to a gain in the side wall and also the ground clearance increased by around 5 mm I believe.

Also the steering will become a wee bit tighter and gives a bit more feedback.
Well, people are using this upsize (including TSK), though this will mean there will be some difference in odometer reading (in the sense your car mileage would show more than what it is) by 2.23%.

For a quick calculation please refer to http://www.tyrestore.in/tyreupsizing.asp and check for yourself.

Personally I would think 195/60 R14 is a better upgrade as that increases your GC by 4 mm yet does not affect your odometer reading much.

Btw, I found 175/65 R14 quite planted and didn't feel the need to change the tyres. Just changed to alloys for mental satisfaction.

Last edited by subratasenn : 14th November 2012 at 00:47.
subratasenn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2012, 02:39   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
Well, people are using this upsize (including TSK), though this will mean there will be some difference in odometer reading (in the sense your car mileage would show more than what it is) by 2.23%.

For a quick calculation please refer to http://www.tyrestore.in/tyreupsizing.asp and check for yourself.
You are right, 185/65 R14 shows more than 2% deviation. Looks like 185/60 is the correct upsize.

I am more keen to change tyres to get a silent ride rather than better grip. In my present Getz, I have used Goodyear, Michelin and Yoko A of the same size. I must say Michelin and Yoko are much better, ofcourse at a cost. In case upsize gives a better ride, then I am willing to for upgrade as well. But whatever I chose, it should be between Yoko and Michelin.
Old 14th November 2012, 11:40   #294
BHPian

Quote:
You are right, 185/65 R14 shows more than 2% deviation. Looks like 185/60 is the correct upsize.

I am more keen to change tyres to get a silent ride rather than better grip. In my present Getz, I have used Goodyear, Michelin and Yoko A of the same size. I must say Michelin and Yoko are much better, ofcourse at a cost. In case upsize gives a better ride, then I am willing to for upgrade as well. But whatever I chose, it should be between Yoko and Michelin.
Liva OE will come either in Goodyear or MRF ZVTS. If you get MRF ZVTS (like what I got) on your car, I think you'll find them a lot better than Goodyear, much more silent. I decided not to change.
But still Yoko and Michelin will obviously be much better.

You may also think about R15 size upgrade. I checked with the manual, you have to change the chain connectors with the wheels to get correct odo reading. (Sportivo comes in this size). You can talk to Toyota A$$, I am sure they'll help you out.
Old 15th November 2012, 14:27   #295
Senior - BHPian

Etios Liva as scored 4-star safety rating in Latin NCAP. However, it scores a lowly 2-star rating for child protection, courtesy child seat placed facing front.

Link:

http://indianautosblog.com/2012/11/t...cap-crash-test
CARDEEP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2012, 15:20   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Etios Liva as scored 4-star safety rating in Latin NCAP. However, it scores a lowly 2-star rating for child protection, courtesy child seat placed facing front.

Link:

http://indianautosblog.com/2012/11/t...cap-crash-test
1) 4-star adult rating is decent rating.
2) Why does it get a 2-star rating for child seat placing front ? That's something dependent on the child seat rather than the car, rt ?
Old 15th November 2012, 15:24   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
1) 4-star adult rating is decent rating.
2) Why does it get a 2-star rating for child seat placing front ? That's something dependent on the child seat rather than the car, rt ?
Yes, 4-star rating is very good IMO.

However, child seats should be facing backwards as far as I understand. Probably this is the reason why the child is almost thrown out of the child seat when the car takes the hit & the low score.
Old 15th November 2012, 15:28   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP

However, child seats should be facing backwards as far as I understand. Probably this is the reason why the child is almost thrown out of the child seat when the car takes the hit & the low score.
Yeah, child seats are after market fitting, right?
And I guess most child seats face backwards.
Old 15th November 2012, 15:35   #299
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post

Quote:
Child seats face backwards till the child is less than 10kgs of weight.
After this they are turned around to be forwards facing.

I am also very curious why this car gets a 2 * and the others get a 4* for child safety.
Could it be the lesser leg room and / or the seatbelt slackness?
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2012, 22:50   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Child seats face backwards till the child is less than 10kgs of weight.
After this they are turned around to be forwards facing.

I am also very curious why this car gets a 2 * and the others get a 4* for child safety.
Could it be the lesser leg room and / or the seatbelt slackness?
We need to check on this aspect. The Etios manual clearly shows (with pictures and diagrams) how to use child seat with proper belts in this car to make the child safe. Doesn't say anything on whether the seats are aftermarket or not.
Child lock also comes in Etios.

Don't have a clue how is child safety decided in a car.

A four star rating for Etios is quite decent. That should stop the criticism about the perceived "flimsy built quality" of the car.
subratasenn is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks