Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2011, 22:34   #1186
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipun dhingra View Post
Hey i have got an email from sterling gurgaon asking me to deposit the entire balance payment without any committed date of delivery. Did you also pay advance money to sterling motors
Do not part with your money until they "show" you the vehicle physically. Do not take anything like "In Transit" "Loaded from Plant" "In Truck" etc. See the vehicle in flesh and then part with your money.

You may tell them to show the vehicle to you and then take payment. This way they will be cornered. I really do not trust anyone with my money.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 6th December 2011 at 22:35.
Old 7th December 2011, 12:17   #1187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipun dhingra View Post
Hey i have got an email from sterling gurgaon asking me to deposit the entire balance payment without any committed date of delivery. Did you also pay advance money to sterling motors
Hi Nipun,

I did pay the money to Sterling Mahindra but only on the day that my car was getting delivered. Infact I saw the car myself. They sent me the letter and I told that the money is ready whenever they call me for the car. Just be strict on this.. How can anyone ask you the pay the money until the car is ready. More so, if you've availed of a loan, you can always ask your bank to disburse and pay the margin on the date of delivery. If there'a problem later, the bank can become your supporter too. Good luck with your car delivery.
Old 7th December 2011, 13:30   #1188
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Saw the XUV in Amazon-green colour for the first time today morning. The "green" is so deep that for quite some time, I was under the impression that it is black. Mahindras should seriously look at upgrading the XUV site to show more accurate colours. I did not find the Green on their site interesting, but on-road it is quite good. People who can not buy pure black because of religious and family reasons, can definitely look at this shade
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Even the purple is so deep that it actually looks like brown from all angles!
Saw the Purple one today. Not "weird" purple like Manza. Also not "in-your-face" purple like what we used to get in the Civic.
Its just gorgeous!
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2011, 15:42   #1189
BHPian

Did anyone else catch Pawan Goenka's interview on the biz channels yesterday? I just caught the end part where he said price rise is inevitable, don't know whether he was referring to the XUV in particular or just general exchange rate fluctuation.
Old 7th December 2011, 16:13   #1190
BHPian

Hi guys,

I went to Sterling Mahindra today to check out the scuff plates for the XUV. There are 2 options i.e. lit and non lit. The lit ones are with blue lighting and for INR 3500 where as the non lit ones are for INR 1000 for 4. Otherwise they are the same. What do you suggest is the better option?

Thanks.
Old 7th December 2011, 16:18   #1191
Distinguished - BHPian

Last weekend me and fellow bhpian abinashsg took a test drive of the XUV 5OO and I must admit we were very much impressed.
avinashsg is booking this vehicle as soon as the booking reopens next month.

For the test drive, there were two cars and 4 groups. When I reached that place I was surprised to see some of my friends in one of the groups.

So I took the TD two times

First time I was happy with the car with 4 of us driving for small distances with 3 kids also on board.
Second time, we were totally 5 members and two of us driving.
But I was blown away when the sales executive (SE) demostrated the safety features.

My observations:

- Materials in the interiors should've been much better and the material that is used in the glove box and the arm rest storage.
The roof fabric which is more like a plastic sheet than fabric and the glove box material feels like it is straight out of a Tamil Nadu private bus (no offence meant)

- The third row is only suitable for children or just one adult. during the second TD, the two ladies with us sat together and they were just about perfect fit given their height being just over 5 feet

+ When the SE braked hard at around 100kmph, the ABS and ESP showed their strength, The tyre marks were straight(ESP) and slightly broken(ABS)

+ The horn pad was slightly difficult to access for mewith the thumb with the hand holding the wheel and my not-so-big hand, but was surprisingly soft even with the airbag

+ The difference between the two versions is more on comfort features and the basic version doen't feel too low on features

+ The clutch, gear and steering is very light and you don't feel you are driving a big vehicle. The "walk-in" instead of "climb in" height will be helpful

My bhpian friend was planning for a W6 but after the TD, he might as well book a W8.

With the down payment money in hand, avinashsg wants to be the first person to book in January so that Our Leh trip plan next year is not affected

And this "no-glass" issue with respect to the meter-console will have to be dealt seriously by Mahindra with whoever is the supplier of that part.
That's one of the most viewed part by the driver and no one will be happy to see this defect.
Old 7th December 2011, 16:28   #1192
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
But I was blown away when the sales executive (SE) demostrated the safety features.
+ When the SE braked hard at around 100kmph, the ABS and ESP showed their strength, The tyre marks were straight(ESP) and slightly broken(ABS)
Wow, this must be the first instance reported on this thread where someone tested ABS and ESP, that too at 100kmph.
Good to know that it worked without any issues. You are quite a braveheart to try it in an untested vehicle!

PS: One question - Did the SE brake on a straight road or on a curving stretch? Would ESP engage in straight-line braking?

Last edited by SDP : 7th December 2011 at 16:38.
Old 7th December 2011, 16:29   #1193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by da MotorHead View Post
Hi guys,

I went to Sterling Mahindra today to check out the scuff plates for the XUV. There are 2 options i.e. lit and non lit. The lit ones are with blue lighting and for INR 3500 where as the non lit ones are for INR 1000 for 4. Otherwise they are the same. What do you suggest is the better option?

Thanks.
From dictionary.com: scuffing - to be or become marred or scratched by scraping or wear

Since scuff plates are used to prevent scuffing , I'd recommend that you pick up the non-lit ones, and avoid your wallet from getting scuffed!

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 7th December 2011 at 16:30.
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2011, 16:45   #1194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wow, this must be the first instance reported on this thread where someone tested ABS and ESP, that too at 100kmph.
Yes, when you don't expect it, it is that much more thrilling.
The SE took us to a long stretch of empty road in a new locality.
I was driving and checking the turbo lag and many more fine points in the vehicle. After some distance he asked me to stop and sit in the passenger seat.

We thought that he wants to explain all the features. Little did we know that he would show them practically.
He asked every one to wear seat belts and one of the belts in the second row had some small problem.
He got down, checked it, corrected it and ensured that everyone was belted.
We thought why he was so fussy even for the rear benchers, but nevertheless we did not talk since he was doing something good.

Then he told me slowly that he'll show the safety features..My face started to glow as well as anxious because I don't know how competent he was.

He started and he went off the blocks with a nice sounding wheelspin.
He accelerated too fast and within around 200 metres we were at 100kmph. he braked so hard that it hardly took 10 metres to stop.
Within this time the two bhpians had a face like the the guy in the tata indica vista advertisement

He took a reverse and showed us the tyre tracks.

Then it was a zero cut or a wide road with some sand and the vehicle handled like a clock's smooth moving seconds needle.

He then showed a panic lane change move which was much better.
It was a two lane road and he told he can't show a panic double lane change.
But we had already seen enough.
avinashsg had to get a nod from his wife before he could book this vehicle and the nod ddn't take much time to come.

He was nice enough to say that these moves should be performed by pros and otherwise nly in emergency situations.

We went back with a nice and wide grin on our faces. and within two days, the downpayment was ready. Now its only waiting for the booking to reopen.
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2011, 18:29   #1195
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, when you don't expect it, it is that much more thrilling.
The SE took us to a long stretch of empty road in a new locality.
I was driving and checking the turbo lag and many more fine points in the vehicle. After some distance he asked me to stop and sit in the passenger seat.

We thought that he wants to explain all the features. Little did we know that he would show them practically.
He asked every one to wear seat belts and one of the belts in the second row had some small problem.
He got down, checked it, corrected it and ensured that everyone was belted.
We thought why he was so fussy even for the rear benchers, but nevertheless we did not talk since he was doing something good.

Then he told me slowly that he'll show the safety features..My face started to glow as well as anxious because I don't know how competent he was.

He started and he went off the blocks with a nice sounding wheelspin.
He accelerated too fast and within around 200 metres we were at 100kmph. he braked so hard that it hardly took 10 metres to stop.
Within this time the two bhpians had a face like the the guy in the tata indica vista advertisement

Then it was a zero cut or a wide road with some sand and the vehicle handled like a clock's smooth moving seconds needle.

He then showed a panic lane change move which was much better.
It was a two lane road and he told he can't show a panic double lane change.
But we had already seen enough.
avinashsg had to get a nod from his wife before he could book this vehicle and the nod ddn't take much time to come.

He was nice enough to say that these moves should be performed by pros and otherwise nly in emergency situations.

We went back with a nice and wide grin on our faces. and within two days, the downpayment was ready. Now its only waiting for the booking to reopen.
That's definitely one TD car I would not want delivered to me as 'new'...LOL ....but I pity the soul who does get conned !!
Old 7th December 2011, 19:30   #1196
BHPian

Quote:
Well I can understand the enthusiasm in reporting but above numbers are just not physically right (esp 100-0 in 10 meters). Thanks and sorry for not being able to resist.
Old 7th December 2011, 19:45   #1197
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
Well I can understand the enthusiasm in reporting but above numbers are just not physically right (esp 100-0 in 10 meters). Thanks and sorry for not being able to resist.
No need to be sorry. I know it cannot be correct...they are just numbers for giving an picture of the experience we had.
They are not measured values.

Cheers
Old 7th December 2011, 20:59   #1198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by da MotorHead View Post
I would take the back lit one any day. I am more of a bling guy and I love to see lights ever where in my car. At the same time, I would resist my temptation and check after market shops where probably I could get the same for 50% of the price quoted.

Quote:
Good to know that it worked without any issues. You are quite a braveheart to try it in an untested vehicle!
I guess unless the ABS didn't work, no one would have reported about the brakes. No offence, but I could not resist the statement underlined. What, you don't expect ABS to work in vehicles?

Any particular reason that makes you think XUV is an un-tested vehicle [just curious]? I read multiple reviews where the auto-mag guys tested the brakes in the M&M test drive tracks on the day of launch.

Quote:
Not something I would have liked to read. The whole point of ABS is to prevent skidding! Then how come there were tyre marks?? I don't expect tyres to lock on an ABS equipped vehicle, unless the tyres or brake pads are considerably worn out [with less than 5000 kms of life left].

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 7th December 2011 at 21:07.
Old 7th December 2011, 21:26   #1199
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I guess unless the ABS didn't work, no one would have reported about the brakes. No offence, but I could not resist the statement underlined. What, you don't expect ABS to work in vehicles?

And again the next statement, what makes you think XUV is an un-tested vehicle [just curious]? I read multiple reviews where the auto-mag guys including t-bhp to test the brakes in the M&M test drive tracks on the day of launch.
Hey, I am a big fan of XUV and a potential customer. So just ticking off boxes on paper, rather than figuring out (in a "Oh, S**T" fashion) that something as critical as ABS/ESP doesn't work in a real life situation when it is supposed to.
I trust mechanical things much more than electronic things. Call me paranoid if you want, but I would be sceptical about a circuit or a program that decides how much force should be applied to the brake-pads, based on inputs received from a combination of sensors. Just too many points of failure. I would be equally sceptical about these things even if the vehicle would have been from BMW or Mercedes.

By "untested", I meant "newly launched" or "un-proven". I would agree, wrong choice of words. Thanks for correcting.

BTW, if there are any links to crash-test results, kindly share.

Quote:
Not something I would have liked to read. The whole point of ABS is to prevent skidding! Then how come there were tyre marks?? I don't expect tyres to lock on an ABS equipped vehicle, unless the tyres or brake pads are considerably worn out [with less than 5000 kms of life left].
In my opinion, for tyre marks the wheels need not be locked. As and when the friction between the tyre and the road is beyond a particular threshold, tyre marks would appear. e.g. wheel-spin under hard acceleration and tyre-burnouts.

Last edited by SDP : 7th December 2011 at 21:27.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 09:14   #1200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As SDP mentioned above, tyre marks do appear in an ABS equipped vehicle.
The only thing is that they will be broken and not continuous.
The "skidding" is for a small distance compared to a non ABS vehicle(except in loose gravel and snow).
More importantly, with the ABS, the vehicle will still be controllable or steerable.

Below are two photos I got after googling...

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-antilockbrakingsystemabs.jpg
Google Image Result for http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/143970.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-istock_000000265146xsmall226x300.jpg
Google Image Result for http://www.valleypacific.com/wp-content/uploads/iStock_000000265146XSmall.jpg
hemanth.anand is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks